Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
Oh it's a fun memory piece for sure. (I also have several from various half marathons and also Chicago as well as random 10Ks...but the rD ones are the best!!)

My comment was directed at the poster who was seeming to compare the CC one to the runDisney ones.

It's nice because it's actually rare that 5Ks even HAVE medals...especially if the race is "free".
I have done all but Tinkerbell runDisney halfs/fulls, and usually 3-4 rD races a year. I am doing Tink this upcoming year, but I agree, most rD medals are great, some were duds in my eyes, but the Mickey full 20th is awesome. But there are many other races in FL that have great medals since they compete with rD to get locals to run and make their medals impressive.

However, for a free 5k and to get a medal and bib is a great deal. There are a lot of 5ks out there that do not give you a medal. It is a fun run on vacation in a cool place with scenery. I'm looking forward to my first Castaway Cay 5k, will be different.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
TLLCanada
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
Also if they're under 12 they won't get a Mickey medal at the end, however I've heard if you ask real nice sometimes they bend a bit on this.
I hope they are ok with my 8 year old running with me...he can have my medal, its not about that for us. He has autism and just picked up running as his "sport". He recently ran his first 2k and the smile and sense of accomplishment on his face for finishing that race meant more to him (and me) than any medal. So we made a pact that we would do the CC 5k together. I had three back surgeries and had to stop running long ago but was motivated to start again to do this with him (he needs a partner). Hopefully they don't say no! Should I email them first and ask if it would be ok?
TLLCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLCanada View Post
I hope they are ok with my 8 year old running with me...he can have my medal, its not about that for us. He has autism and just picked up running as his "sport". He recently ran his first 2k and the smile and sense of accomplishment on his face for finishing that race meant more to him (and me) than any medal. So we made a pact that we would do the CC 5k together. I had three back surgeries and had to stop running long ago but was motivated to start again to do this with him (he needs a partner). Hopefully they don't say no! Should I email them first and ask if it would be ok?
From a liability reason, they are going to say 12.

That said, it's been reported that some CMs turn a blind eye or will say "How old are you? Say 12."

Or worst-case you *can* run the course on your own - it's down a little path, across the airstrip, around the bike loop, down to the tram turnaround at SB, back up and around the bike loop, and then across the airstrip and to the start area. Anyone could run it at any time. (I've heard that at least one of the captains regularly runs the course on his own after getting everything securely docked.)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
mominva
Mouseketeer

I just ran the race this past Friday with my 11 yr old daughter. Granted, she's not that far off from 12, but she's a young looking 11. I wasn't asked her age, although I had no intention of lying if it came up. It seemed unlikely that they'd be that strict about it though. I have to say, while it's a flat course, it wasn't particularly easy in the heat, humidity and sun. There's very little shade on the course, although there are plenty of water stations. Might be a tough one for younger kids, but that might just mean walking part of the way - my daughter did.

mominva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
swimfly
Mouseketeer

There were all ages running on our April Dream cruise. Dont stress about the age req.

On the medal front, my CC5k "medal" is one of my most expensive Disney events when you consider the cost of registration/travel/food to RD events vs cruise fare/travel. Fwiw... I ran a 5-miler tonight for a towel. Boo!

Last edited by swimfly; 08-25-2013 at 10:13 PM.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #21
RMoneyTheHBomb
Mouseketeer

I have an eight year old who won't run. Do you guys know if the kids club is open by then?
RMoneyTheHBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
drb116
Mouseketeer

Yes, it will be. Just make sure you tell the CM in charge and they will radio ahead to make sure they are ready. I am not sure if it is officially open, but they do take kids for the 5k.
drb116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
bucky1023
DIS Veteran

I did it about three weeks ago and there were some younger kids but don't really know if they were being strict about age or not.

I do have to agree with the PP that stated that it is a flat path, and there is little to no shaded parts of the course. Also in the bike path (the loop) which is a big part of the course (you have to go around it twice) there was NO breeze at all.

If littler ones are not use to all that heat/sun/humidity I would keep that in mind before heading over.

In the end I'm glad I did it.

bucky1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

Thanks for posting this!

My DH really wanted to run it for the medal but I think this is the same one they give out for winning trivia, so we're gonna try a trivia session instead.

He has me google the Run Disney events to see what the medals look like before deciding whether to run. Pshh. Men.
It is the same one that use for other things. So if he doesn't want to run just to run or for the bib (since the cc5k is the first thing I've run with a medal it's the bibs that do it for me!) or the experience, then he might as well not.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:51 AM   #25
RMoneyTheHBomb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb116 View Post
Yes, it will be. Just make sure you tell the CM in charge and they will radio ahead to make sure they are ready. I am not sure if it is officially open, but they do take kids for the 5k.
Hey there. So we would drop our kid off at the club? Or they watch her on the island? Thanks!
RMoneyTheHBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoneyTheHBomb View Post
Hey there. So we would drop our kid off at the club? Or they watch her on the island? Thanks!
There is a kid's club ON the island.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #27
colbybug
DIS Veteran

The Kids Club on the island is awesome! Last May we dropped our son off on the way to the starting line. They have an entire, amazing section just for kids on the island. It's on the right as you pass the section where the waverunners and boats are just before you get to the first store. I can't remember the name of it but I had a hard time getting my child to leave. (They had water games and a big whale dig where they can uncover the bones in the sand). They check the kids in and out just like on the ship.

Kathy
colbybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
fitmom0f2
Mouseketeer

I've heard they may not be giving medals out any longer, anyone run CC 5K recently and still receive one? Nice souvies, wanting to run for one on our next cruise.

Our Dis-tory:
2005 off property
2012 ASMu/Dream/POPc
2013 Coronado Springs Princess half wknd
2014 Wonder from Miami to Bahamas
2015 Fantasy to W.Caribbean and first Home resort stay at SSR
fitmom0f2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom0f2 View Post
I've heard they may not be giving medals out any longer, anyone run CC 5K recently and still receive one? Nice souvies, wanting to run for one on our next cruise.
They were at the beginning of July.

Maybe they were out and awaiting a new supply? Since people don't sign up months in advance, they don't really have a set number to order (especially if they're being used for other things on board), and if there's any kind of delay in the manufacturing or shipping process, they may not have any for a cruise or two?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
CruisingGoddess
Disney Princess

Does anyone know if they are giving medals on Disney Dream cruises?

Upcoming: WDW Half 2015 (Art of Animation), 1/12/2015 - Disney Dream Inaugural Castaway Cay Challenge, 6/27/2015 - ABD South Africa

Cruises: 11/24/2012 - Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean | 4/25/2009 - Disney Magic E. Caribbean w/Tortola | 4/23/2006 - Disney Wonder Bahamas | 4 x Princess, 2 x Celebrity, 2 x Norwegian, 1 x Royal Caribbean
Resorts: 3/2003 - Grand Californian | 1/2004 - Old Key West | 4/2006- Grand Floridian Honeymoon Suite | 5/2012 - Disneyland Hotel Suite | 12/2012 - Animal Kingdom | 2/2013 - Wilderness Lodge | 1/2014 - Paradise Pier | 2/2014 - Polynesian Resort | 11/2014 - Yacht Club
Races: Wine & Dine Half 2014, Glass Slipper Challenge 2014, Tinker Bell Half 2014, Disneyland Half 2013, Princess Half 2013
CruisingGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: