Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Preggo at WDW

Hey folks,

My DW will be 7 months pregnant when we visit the World in February. It just occurred to me that there will be attractions she can't ride. I looked up a list and when I saw the list of recommended avoided rides, my heart sank a bit. None of the mountains (I figured Splash would be closed and she probably wouldn't like Space, but I was looking forward to taking her on MTMRR for the first time), no tomorrow land speedway (a favorite with our daughters) and no Test Track (which was closed during our last visit).

Most disheartening of all: no Kilimanjaro Safari, which is easily my wife's favorite attraction.

So, in order to make it up for her, I'd love some suggestions on things we could do to make the trip a little more special. Does anyone have any experience going to WDW pregnant? What did you do?

Note: We'll be traveling with our 7 y/o twin DDs, so skipping the mountains, race tracks, etc. isn't really an option for us.
lhermiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
laceyinwonderland
Mouseketeer

I was a bad girl and rode the safari ride while preggo, but I was only 12 weeks, and asked to sit on the first row where it isnt quite so bumpy. I realize 12 wks and 7 months are very different though!

Maybe on your MK day while you and the girls are doing the mountains, DW could sleep in, and maybe head to a resort spa for a facial or a prenatal massage?

Or you could give her an unlimited Disney GC and tell her to shop shop shop!! Best wishes for your growing family!
Dec 2011 POP
Nov 2013 AOA/POP

June 2014 offsite/AKV Happy Bday to ME!
Sept 2014 POFQ
laceyinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
mum2four
DIS Veteran

I was seven months pregnant during our 2010 trip. Of course, there were a number of rides that I had to sit out, such as the ones you mentioned, but there were so many more things that I was able to do, both rides and shows. All in all, I didn't feel like I was missing out on that much, to be honest.

Speaking as a fellow mom, I think your DW would probably enjoy some alone time to go shopping or have a couple treats while you take your DD's on the "big" rides.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Thanks for the tips. Maybe she can ride in the wheelchair seat for the safari, plus a prenatal massage at the Grand Floridian.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
wendinator
Earning My Ears

Go for afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...afternoon-tea/
wendinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhermiston View Post
Thanks for the tips. Maybe she can ride in the wheelchair seat for the safari, plus a prenatal massage at the Grand Floridian.
Make sure that your massage therapist is qualified for pre-natal massage. They will also have to have a table that can accommodate her belly. A facial or other treatment might be more practical at that stage.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
emmababy
DIS Veteran

I did safari.
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
emmababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmababy View Post
I did safari.
How far along were you? Did you sit anywhere in particular?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Also, have her speak to her doctor. Disney is going to be super careful in their warnings. Her doctor will have a better idea as to what is actually safe for her.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
denneg
DIS Veteran

I will be 6 months when we go in 2 weeks, and although I'm disappointed in not being able to go on a lot of my favorite rides (mainly because of my DS 5 and his joy on the rides), I'm looking forward to seeing shows we have never had time for, lots of pool time, and bringing a book to sit and relax with while everyone else is on a ride. I did look into the safari, and was told by a friend who works at AK that the risk isn't the bumps, it's the animals. They have had cars rammed by animals, not to mention you could get stuck out there by an animal on the path for hours. My doctor and I discussed it, and she said even with the low chance of any of that happening, she wasn't comfortable with me on it.

Trips with kids: October 2013 (Offsite) - May 2013 (Shades of Green) - Feb 2013 (Beach Club & AKL) - Nov 2012 (POR) - Aug 2011 (Sarasota Springs) - Aug 2010 (Boardwalk) - May 2009 (POR)

20+ trips prior to kids (including Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West & Coronado Springs)
denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by denneg View Post
I will be 6 months when we go in 2 weeks, and although I'm disappointed in not being able to go on a lot of my favorite rides (mainly because of my DS 5 and his joy on the rides), I'm looking forward to seeing shows we have never had time for, lots of pool time, and bringing a book to sit and relax with while everyone else is on a ride. I did look into the safari, and was told by a friend who works at AK that the risk isn't the bumps, it's the animals. They have had cars rammed by animals, not to mention you could get stuck out there by an animal on the path for hours. My doctor and I discussed it, and she said even with the low chance of any of that happening, she wasn't comfortable with me on it.
We have been stuck for nearly 30 minutes by some animals that would not move in the path. We actually old not see them - it was about 10 cars ahead of us.
We were lucky to not be stuck with the sun coming in on us.
I have heard of people who were not so lucky.

Also, the bumps may not be that bad, but at least one pregnant woman posted that it was uncomfortable because each bump felt like the baby was using her bladder for a trampoline.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhermiston View Post
Hey folks,

My DW will be 7 months pregnant when we visit the World in February. It just occurred to me that there will be attractions she can't ride. I looked up a list and when I saw the list of recommended avoided rides, my heart sank a bit. None of the mountains (I figured Splash would be closed and she probably wouldn't like Space, but I was looking forward to taking her on MTMRR for the first time), no tomorrow land speedway (a favorite with our daughters) and no Test Track (which was closed during our last visit).

Most disheartening of all: no Kilimanjaro Safari, which is easily my wife's favorite attraction.

So, in order to make it up for her, I'd love some suggestions on things we could do to make the trip a little more special. Does anyone have any experience going to WDW pregnant? What did you do?

Note: We'll be traveling with our 7 y/o twin DDs, so skipping the mountains, race tracks, etc. isn't really an option for us.
Your wife can easily join you and your daughters in any Disney World attraction queue without actually riding the actual ride. Once you reach the seater person and they ask "how many?', you reply "three to ride, one to leave". Your wife will either be led out safely or be shown the way out. Very simple, you stay together until the last moment and she only misses what could hurt the baby. You can do this on every single Disney attraction. Very easy to do, trust me.

I would strongly agree with everyone who suggested to talk to her doctor. Every pregnancy is different and what Mom #1 had problems with might not be what Mom #2 is going through.

Not related to pregnancy but I have a broken neck and have had it for five years. I finally asked my doctor about limitations at Disney World and he said he had more reservations about me getting into a traffic accident here in Atlanta. If I hadn't asked him, I'd still be sitting out rides instead of going with no limitations at all.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
gluvsmickey
WDW is our HAPPY PLACE!

I was 5 1/5 months and went on the safari, I think they warn you because it can be bumpy but I just sat kind of braced in my seat and was completely fine. It was no worse than riding in my husbands big old truck in the mountains where we live.
First Trips offsite '89-'92, Dixie Landings '93, '94, '95, CBR '96, '97, CSR '98, missed 1999 & 2000, ASMo 4/2001, missed 2002 DBF(soon to be DH didn't want to go), POR 5/2003 for honeymoon, Offsite 10/2003, missed 2004 (had first DS), POP Ben's 1st trip!10/2005, POP 3/2006, POP 3/2007, POFQ 12/2007, POR 2/2008, POP 1/2009 (first trip for DS #2), POR/AKL 12/2009, POFQ 4/2010, POP 10/2010, VWL 4/2011, AKV Savannah View (first trip for just the 4 of us!) 9/2011!! Matthew's 1st trip! Nov. 28-Dec. 6, 2012 AOA!! May 4-11, 2013 Bonnet Creek for the 1st time!!! Nov. 2-10, 2013 split stay SS/AKV!!! 3/29-4/3, 2014 Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite!
Gina 34 Mark 35 Ben(9) Luke(5) Matthew (2)
gluvsmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I have posted before, but I think it bears sharing again. I was one who thought the Safari restriction was "overly cautious." I have ridden it probably 15-20 times now, and a little bumpy, but meh. But earlier this year, we had a ride that was honest to goodness as bumpy as Dinosaur. After that, the restriction made a lot more sense. So although MOST of the time it is not like that, there is definitely the potential for a VERY bumpy ride. FWIW.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran

You are gonna get a lot of opinions here, but I simply cannot imagine NOT being comfortable doing Kilimanjaro Safari at 7 months pregnant. To me, it's very very mild. NYC taxi cabs much higher on the thrill ride scale. I sat in the middle of the truck seating and wouldn't even consider it an amusement park "ride" so to speak. Talk to your doctor. Make your own decision (especially since you are familiar with the ride) after speaking with your doctor knowing your wife's personal health like only you know. I'd be shocked if there was a ride that Disney didn't suggest pregnant women avoid.

We all live life within our own comfort zone. One could never get in a motor vehicle upon news on her pregnancy to be extra safe. Someone else may jump out of a plane or climb Mt McKinley. Do what you and your wife feel comfortable doing.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: