Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
ninafeliz
Mouseketeer

New refillable mugs "lock out" period

I'm sorry if this has been covered repeatedly. I did a quick search and found one thread that might have mentioned this, but I didn't have time to read all 9 pages.

I get the new mug refill system - to stop people filling old mugs, non disney mugs, coolers, etc. But what irritates me is the lock out period. It seems like every time I take my mug to fill it I get the diet coke machine that is out of syrup, and I get essentially brown colored soda water I realize it isn't actually every time, but it also isn't rare. So now I guess I have to dump it and stand around for either 2.5 min, 3 min, or 5 min (I've read all 3, and am not sure which is accurate). I know this sounds kind of petty when I write it, and in the grand scheme it won't really ruin anything, but it's annoying and really does happen a fair amount as so many people use those machines. I just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

I also wanted to add that I realize when I see old mugs that people are not doing what they should, but I do find it kind of neat to see all of the different old mugs Some of them go back to when they first had refillable mugs, that brings back memories I remember our first Dixie Landings refillable mugs, the solid yellow with only a DL logo, and black top. I miss the old resort specific mugs.
ninafeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

You describe one of the reasons for the new RFID mugs - people endlessly bringing old mugs back.
But you hit on the second issue and the reason for the "lock out period". People were repeatedly filling a refillable mug and dumping it into another container, not able to be refilled normally.
So the reason for both the new system and the lock out that annoys you is abuse by "guests".
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
ninafeliz
Mouseketeer

Hmmm, I actually never thought of people filling their mugs and then immediately dumping them into another. I just knew of the old mugs issue. Great. I hope they are better at keeping up with the pop and hot chocolate machines than they were the last few times I stayed at POR. I think the HC was out 75% of the time (I know HC isn't on the chip yet, but it will be and I just use it as an example...)

Last edited by ninafeliz; 08-22-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling
ninafeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

The Disney Food Blog reported testing and the delay was 2 minutes.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/0...ts-now-in-use/

Given that it's a new system, I can imagine Disney changing the refill rate depending on things are going with the system.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninafeliz View Post
I'm sorry if this has been covered repeatedly. I did a quick search and found one thread that might have mentioned this, but I didn't have time to read all 9 pages.

I get the new mug refill system - to stop people filling old mugs, non disney mugs, coolers, etc. But what irritates me is the lock out period. It seems like every time I take my mug to fill it I get the diet coke machine that is out of syrup, and I get essentially brown colored soda water I realize it isn't actually every time, but it also isn't rare. So now I guess I have to dump it and stand around for either 2.5 min, 3 min, or 5 min (I've read all 3, and am not sure which is accurate). I know this sounds kind of petty when I write it, and in the grand scheme it won't really ruin anything, but it's annoying and really does happen a fair amount as so many people use those machines. I just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

I also wanted to add that I realize when I see old mugs that people are not doing what they should, but I do find it kind of neat to see all of the different old mugs Some of them go back to when they first had refillable mugs, that brings back memories I remember our first Dixie Landings refillable mugs, the solid yellow with only a DL logo, and black top. I miss the old resort specific mugs.
I'm a big diet coke drinker, and I really don't recall having a lot of problems with the "mix" at WDW.
Maybe if it happens, though, tell a CM. It would speed a fix, rather than lots of folks being unhappy with the taste of their soda.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
danetter
DIS Veteran

We have seen our share of old mugs as well being filled too. But what really made me mad last year at All Star Music was a WHOLE family of about 20 + members were filling up 20 oz drink bottles not just one or 2 of the family members but everyone of them.
Now mind you, I have only been going to Disney since 2008 when the blue and white mugs were being used, then the red/black, and then the beach mugs. I seen lots of the blue/white mugs as well as the red/black. Beyond the blue/white mugs I have no clue and what the lifetime mugs from years past looked like so I couldn't go by that but only can go by the blue/white and red/black.

1986 - offsite, 1990 - offsite, Oct. 2008 - All Star Music,
Sept/Oct. 2009 - Pop Century, Sept. 2010 - Pop Century, Sept. 2011 - Pop Century, Sept. 2012 - All Star Music, Sept. 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
danetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

I never minded purchasing new mugs on each trip when they were resort specific but I'll admit it doesn't seem worth it most of the time when the mugs are always the same. I get it from a business standpoint that it's cheaper to have a ton of the same type rather than individualized ones for the resorts but I think the use of the same one's for long periods of time has led to more people cheating with the mugs. We only get them when we know we're doing at least one full resort day otherwise it just doesn't seem worth it to us. It's easier to bring bottles of water from home but we drive not fly so it's easier.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
bfamily5
Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the process

we always got new mugs (DDP) but I can't stand drinking hot stuff in the same mug as cold stuff. So I usually have old mugs for hot chocolate and use the new mugs for soda. I know that I have paid for the mugs, but I am using a different container. Now I don't know what to do!

POR - Mar 2014.. us and the whole state of LA
CBR - Sept 2012..Just the 2 of us
POR - Sept 2011..Honey, I'm Home!
POR - Nov, 2009..Disney Love at first Sight!
Me: DH, DD(20), DD(17), DS (14)..
bfamily5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I'm SO used to seeing people filling up old water bottles, thermos bottles, tumblers, you name it. I kind of want to just sit at a table near one of the new fountains and count how many people in an hour walk up to it without a mug and become totally confused and/or angry.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

We will just bring two litters, put them in our fridge and fill up our mugs..We would not buy them OOP anyway as we wont be eating a lot at our resort food court..OKW

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

If we ever decide to buy mugs again, I'm glad that the lock out period is so short. I've been known to really down a drink quickly after a hot day and I'm ready to refill almost immediately.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
lauradis
DIS Veteran

All this over soda kinda silly.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
MattRyan
Mouseketeer

I always bought new mugs because they weren't expensive, you get your money back after a few uses and they can be considered souvenirs.

I guess the people who didn't bring old mugs back are being punished.
MattRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
danetter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRyan View Post
I always bought new mugs because they weren't expensive, you get your money back after a few uses and they can be considered souvenirs.

I guess the people who didn't bring old mugs back are being punished.

Exactly! Now mind you we do have our share of the beach scene LOL but I look at it like this when I look in my cabinet those Disney mugs aren't the only thing I have plenty of that is alike either.
We have always even before we started going to Disney bought a souvenir mug at a park with a 1 time drink included so I feel being able to get refills at our resort and now this year being able to refill at other resorts when we visit others to eat at and fill up. We also take ours to the park and when we have leftover drinks from our QS meals, we pour the drinks from the paper cups into our mugs. With the paper cups we get from the QS if we wanted to ride something afterwards we were told to throw away our cups before getting to a certain point, with our mugs we have them on our backpacks and never have had to get rid of them.

1986 - offsite, 1990 - offsite, Oct. 2008 - All Star Music,
Sept/Oct. 2009 - Pop Century, Sept. 2010 - Pop Century, Sept. 2011 - Pop Century, Sept. 2012 - All Star Music, Sept. 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
danetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Quin
DIS Veteran

I'm unhappy about the lock-out period because DH likes to mix his drinks (usually the pomegranate lemonade with Sprite). THAT won't work now. Or what about drinks like root beer that are always foamy? Unless you can fill a little, let it settle, fill a little more, you're going to be lucky to get 8 ounces of drinkable liquid per refill.

And the blogs say the 2 or 3 minute period is just a trial, and that the machines are programmable to go up to 15 minutes between refills. I may not be a total soda pop addict, but on a hot day with a mug half-full of ice I can certainly knock back that first soda in less than 15 minutes.

Also, I read on the Dis Blog that the machine will dispense an automatic 16 ounce pour. So if I did load up on the ice, the soda will just overflow my cup? Yuck. Very messy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: