Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #46
Gruff320
Mouseketeer
 
Gruff320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobrynncess

For goodness sake!!!! Lighten up! It was funny!!
This :-)
__________________
Former WDW Entertainment Cast Member ~ Now just a big, dorky WDW Fan!
Favorite Park: Epcot


Gruff320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #47
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran
 
LovinPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,284

"No honey, we dont have to switch monorials to get to downtown disney"

LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #48
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran
 
Disneyhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington State - To far from WDW!
Posts: 1,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobrynncess View Post
And lastly, there was this:

Dh was in line with dd for the water slide at our resort. While in line, some small boy was regaling dh his interpretation of exactly how tall the water slide was, then proceeded to ask dh how long he was staying. Dh told him 8 days. The little boy replied, "We're staying 8 days too!!! Five thousand dollars!!!"

Out of the mouths of babes........
Way to funny!!
__________________


DH DSME


Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #49
nighttowll
DIS Veteran
 
nighttowll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 576

This reminds me of my friend. I've laughed at him more while planning this trip. He's definitely one of those no planning guys. When we first started talking about going to Disney, I kept telling him we needed to make a decision soon as we were at 180 days. He just couldn't understand. He kept saying if he decided to go he'd just throw the kids in the car and go last minute. Let me first point out we live about 13 hours away, so I don't know whose in that car with the kids, but its definitely not me! I kept telling him if he did that he had better be prepared to sleep in that car cause he wasn't getting a room, and he wasn't getting any meals either. Finally, I just pulled up the reservation website. After about the 4th, "This is nice lets stay here." Me, " it's booked." It finally sank in. But he set there in shock for a good 30 minutes trying to wrap his mind around the fact that they were sold out at all the hotels but two.

Another time, he almost cancelled the trip because he heard something on tv that made him believe there was no alcohol allowed anywhere on Disney property. I thought he was going to have a stroke. We let him panic for a day before telling him we weren't actually depriving him of his alcohol. You should have seen his face when he thought he was going to have to suffer through a week at Disney all without any liquor.

Then, he really surprised me, we put the count down calendar up this week, and he was more excited about it then the kids were. He's been running around telling anyone who will listen he's going to Disney in a few weeks. It's so funny. This grown middle class man, head of a business, running around giddy with excitement like a little kid. And the sad part is I'm pretty sure he thinks he's going to a fair. That's how knowledgeable he is. This will be his first time, can you say midlife crisis. Although, he may just be excited because I promised to map out all the bars for him. *Anyone with a list, love to have a copy.
nighttowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #50
rickers353
I'm All Ears
 
rickers353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Harrison, OH (20 miles W. of Cincy)
Posts: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3

In my world, where I have a very twisted sense of humor, laughing so hard that you think you need Depends (yes I know the OP meant that figuratively ) is hysterical laughter. Maybe its not in your world. Having said that, I don't find other's lack of knowledge on Disney something to laugh that hard about. If you do, that is okay, I'm just sharing that in a thread about laughing at people who aren't "in the know". I also wouldn't assume that because someone thought the monorail went to Motel 6 that they didn't plan. Maybe they were just confused about that part of Disney transportation. Maybe someone gave them bad info. Again, you are free to pee your pants when you hear someone ask about that, I'm free to think its not funny
Well I took it in the good nature it was intended, I laughed too. Think about it, how did they get to the park to begin with? At no time did the OP claim the lady was actually staying offsite. If I had been there I would have turned to my DW and softly asked,

"Did they see a monorail track or a bus stop when they left? for Disney to add one in a day's time, that's what I imagineering at it's best".

BTW, since I am on the topic of totally misreading the intent of the post, it was the Super 8, not motel 6
__________________
rickers353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #51
MolonLabe
DTOM
 
MolonLabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 851

Personally I don't think people fully understand the need to plan WDW.

I grew up living in Florida and went to WDW a dozen times before I went on my own after turning 18. I went several times after turning 18 prior to the first family trip with children.

I felt like I "knew a lot" about WDW when I planned our first family trip a few years ago.

I just so happened to find a free dining ad somewhere and wound up booking a 5 night trip on a whim. My girls we just about old enough but the lure of returning to my home state and all the fun I had as a child in MK and EP was too much to put off any longer.

I only got 5 days worth of tickets instead of 6 so I had to call in to change the reservation I booked online. Thank goodness because as the call ended the CM asked about my dining reservations. I said no I've got like 6 months to book them, I'll wait.

The wonderful lady on the other end saved my trip. She told me about the 180 days and how quickly popular restaurants booked up. It was just luck I was at the 175~ day mark when I called in.

After that I started doing some research to figure out where all I wanted to eat (we upgraded from regular dining to dxp) and stumbled into an entire planning world I never even knew about or even gave any thought to.

I see it all the time with friends and colleagues. No rational person would think to do all this so far in advance without someone warning them of how insane WDW really is.
__________________

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #52
Sevenfifty
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynanacat

I still call DHS MGM all the time.
I do to and prob always will!
Sevenfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #53
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran
 
FigmentChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,920

I laughed. Do I feel bad for them? Meh....a little. But, just like other posters, I research and plan before I travel ANYWHERE, not just Disney.

My first trip to Disney was in 1997 on my honeymoon. Hubby & I couldn't rent a car because we were both under 25 (see....research), so I called the hotel for their bus schedule. I also bought a Birnbaum's guide to help me "discover" the parks. I researched shuttle buses, etc. to get us from the airport to the hotel (I was staying off-site because of an employee rate).

When I took my kids to Niagara Falls and the Skyline Drive last year....I did research. I looked at restaurants, the local area, the hiking trails and, of course, the routes I needed to drive.

So, do I think it's ok to have an inner laugh when you hear stories like these? Yes, I do. And for the poster who thinks we're being spiteful and who is obviously better mannered than all of us....let us find amusement where we can. Life is too short.
__________________


Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #54
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobrynncess View Post
As we were walking from the bus stop at MK toward the park entrance/exits, a Disney Security Guard was telling a large group of females:

"No mam, there's no monorail to the Super 8 Motel."

They clearly either did not like or did not understand what he was saying to them, as this was followed up by:

"No mam, there is no bus either to the Super 8 Motel."

At that moment I almost wished I was wearing a Depends, I laughed so hard.

And lastly, there was this:

Dh was in line with dd for the water slide at our resort. While in line, some small boy was regaling dh his interpretation of exactly how tall the water slide was, then proceeded to ask dh how long he was staying. Dh told him 8 days. The little boy replied, "We're staying 8 days too!!! Five thousand dollars!!!"

Out of the mouths of babes........

My son would say "First World Problems". But you know, not everyone in the United States is as fortunate as others. There ARE people who have never traveled more than an hour from their hometown. How lucky is that little boy to actually appreciate his parents for pending $5,000! I bet it will be a ONCE in a lifetime trip for him.

We have relatives who live inner city Detroit. Before they came to visit us, the niece (30 years old) called and asked where "Magic Mountain" was? Her mom said they were going to "Magic Mountain" but she couldn't find it anywhere on the internet for "Magic Mountain" Florida. Oh and we have taken her mom to Disney about 3 times on her past 3 visits, and universal, so the mom HAS been to Disney with us, but still didn't know the name. Maybe because she just called it Disney and not Magic Kingdom? Once the niece figured it out, a few weeks later she called and wanted to know the chances of her daughter (4) being able to meet Spongebob at the Magic Kingdom.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #55
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
What I find funny is who when using common sense would think that the MOTEL SiX would have a monorail going to it? Even if you have never been to WDW in what city does Motel 6 or super 8 or holiday inn have a monorail or subway or anything like that? Besides how did she get to the park from Motel 6, she knew it wasn't on a monorail! Common sense.. Yeah I've said or thought or done something where I didn't think it out and I laughed about it as did others around me..
Seattle, New York, Washington D.C. and outlying cities just to name a few. You just have to know what line and stop to get off on.

Seoul, Tokyo if you want to add overseas locations

Most major cities also have pretty detailed public bus systems.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #56
sandyplayer
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 103

About 7 years ago we mentioned to friends that we were visiting disney in about 16 months.
Their response? Why would you go there? Worst vacation ever! You can't eat anywhere because all the restaurants are booked months in advance and the parks are crowded and you wait on 2 hour lines to get on a ride.

I went home and started doing research immediately. My husband tells people that the planning of the invasion of Normandy involved less planning than our trip.

But it as the best 8 days we spend as a family. I thank tourguidemikes site and the dis board people for my success.

We are going again next year and although there is less to learn now that I have done it once, I am still researching. My family will thank me for it.

One funny thing: my son was 3 when we went. He did not like rides. He told everyone that his favorite rides were its a small world, the monorail, and the elevator in the land pavilion! We laugh at ourselves too, not just others.
sandyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #57
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..
 
luvthemouse71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mentally,WDW. Physically, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Funny I'm not talking about not needing a plan, I'm talking about those who aren't as all knowing as the DISers about how to plan.
People get overwhelmed, mis-informed or just confused with all the info that is out there. I don't see that as a reason to hysterically laugh at them because they don't know something that you think they should. YMMV
Then again, some people refuse to plan, even a little bit. Or, they think they know everything.( such as the elderly woman on the bus) It's those people that are being ridiculed, and rightly so. Because, they are the same ones that will blame Disney or other guests because they had a bad time.

I do laugh at people like that, and freely, without guilt.
__________________

Last edited by luvthemouse71; 08-24-2013 at 11:51 AM.
luvthemouse71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #58
MolonLabe
DTOM
 
MolonLabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
Then again, some people refuse to plan, even a little bit.
For me it depends on if they've ever been before and if they are turning down advice from someone they know.

I had no pity for friends, no acquaintances, I tried to warn before their 180 days. I told them a few times. That's on them.

Quote:

Or, they think they know everything.( such as the elderly woman on the bus) It's those people that are being ridiculed, and rightly so. Because, they are the same ones that will blame Disney or other guests because they had a bad time.

I do laugh at people like that, and freely, without guilt.
I agree there. I've run into those type too, they not only don't want to hear it, they get angry over you trying to help them.

__________________

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #59
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 4,520

I think far more people go to WDW without planning than those that DO plan.

I, personally, know many folks who have done nothing more than make a resort reservation and show up. NONE of these people had a bad time.

A year ago June we went to WDW, (summer season), with just resort reservations. We ate at Boma, Brown Derby, Narcoossee's, San Angel, Prime Time, Shulas, and others without a single ADR and without waiting more than a few minutes.

Granted, this website is full of Disney planners. Disney planners kind of have to rationalize why they spend so much time planning, and the way they do that is to convince themselves that it is necessary and those that don't plan are somehow inferior and to be laughed at.

I hear people talking about their friends who are going to WDW without a plan and it kind of sounds like they relish the fact that their friends are going to have a bad time. When they return the "I told you so's" will be ready and waiting for use.

We all hear funny stuff. A few years ago I mentioned in a trip report that an elderly couple approached a CM at the Epcot monorail station and asked if this next monorail would go to MK. The CM told them "YES." I went to them after the CM walked away and told them the truth. Funny?, maybe it was funny that a CM told a guest that. I'm sure it wouldn't have been as funny to the old couple if I hadn't told them the truth. Who knows maybe he would have told them the monorail goes to Motel 6 if that's what they had asked.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #60
texasroni75
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 373

Our first WDW trip in 1999, I had no idea there was a difference between on-site and off-site. I had no idea the monorail couldn't take us to every park. And I had no idea you could make advance reservations for the table-service restaurants and character meals. To be completely honest, I was one who thought you didn't have to bother, since I never had a problem getting in for a meal until our March 2009 trip and EVERY place we went to had NO availability and we ate dinner in DTD at like 10pm with tired and cranky kids! I can only imagine what I possibly said or did in front of educated WDW pros - I'm sure I made some really dumb comments back then!

I have to say that with each trip I find myself doing MORE and MORE planning to make it an even better vacation. And even though I've made many of the newbie mistakes, I can still get a good laugh out of hearing other people make the same ones - makes me feel better about myself LOL. But after a chuckle, I always try to help.
__________________
Joanie - Mom of Four Awesome Kids

DD(19) - DD(13) - DS(10) - DS(2)

Booked at All-Star Music - September 2014!!!

All-Star Movies - Jan 1999, Coronado Springs - Feb 2001, All-Star Sports - March 2002, Port Orleans Riverside - March 2005, Port Orleans Riverside - March 2009, Port Orleans Riverside - December 2009, All-Star Movies - September 2013
texasroni75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.