Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
poconopixie
Basking in the ambience.
 
poconopixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Poconos, PA
Posts: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Funny I'm not talking about not needing a plan, I'm talking about those who aren't as all knowing as the DISers about how to plan.
People get overwhelmed, mis-informed or just confused with all the info that is out there. I don't see that as a reason to hysterically laugh at them because they don't know something that you think they should. YMMV
I took my first Disney trip last year after 30 years of dreaming about it. I knew almost nothing about the parks or the hotels. I knew it was possible I may never be able to go again so I made sure to research everything. I started with Disney's own website. Then I used the magic of Google and found these boards, undercover tourist, wdwinfo...etc. The travel channel runs shows about the parks all the time as well. The bookstores sell books about planning a Disney vacation.

I would have done research no matter where I was going. I did research when I went to Atlantic City with my husband because I wanted to do more than hang out in a Casino losing money. And we only went there for 3 days.

I am sorry, but it's just common sense to at least do a little bit of research before you go anywhere new. People who are ignorant choose to be and I don't really pity that.
__________________
Me: DH: DD13: DD12:

Last edited by poconopixie; 08-23-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
poconopixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #32
melissafox18
DIS Veteran
 
melissafox18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI via Lombard, IL
Posts: 627

Looking back at the trips I've taken, I've come a long way from the first trip until now (and it's not that many in between). I didn't know about TheDis on our first trip, so I bought a book and researched a little online through the Disney website. My sis and I wanted to try 50s Prime Time at the suggestion of my coworker (who worked at Disney for 2 years as some of the princesses) and she didn't bother telling is it was a TS restaurant and it needed a reservation. So ravenous from a morning of riding TSM, we walked up and the lady told us the next opening was 2 hours from now. Needless to say we ate QS that day!

But if you didn't know to research food, you don't know those kind of things! I was too busy trying to figure out which parks to go to each day and what clothes to pack to think about food. I obviously know better know and have my ideal ressies in mind for when we hit our 180 day mark.
__________________
melissafox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #33
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran
 
momtobrynncess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: upstate new york
Posts: 1,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
What I find funny is who when using common sense would think that the MOTEL SiX would have a monorail going to it? Even if you have never been to WDW in what city does Motel 6 or super 8 or holiday inn have a monorail or subway or anything like that? Besides how did she get to the park from Motel 6, she knew it wasn't on a monorail! Common sense.. Yeah I've said or thought or done something where I didn't think it out and I laughed about it as did others around me..
Thank you!!! This is exactly my point!!!

How did she get there? It wasn't on a monorail.

And for the record, I never mentioned any words uttered by the female, only words from the Security Guard. I never said I was laughing at her, her group, or her lack of knowledge. I was laughing at the words of the Security Guard. Did I ever say anything cruel like, "How stupid are those people?" Nope, and I never would. That's not nice. I laughed at a simple sentence, which was hilarious.

Now I have a picture in my mind of a Super 8 Motel with a monorail traveling above it. 😜
__________________
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #34
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!
 
drgnfly30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: State of Discontent (via Delaware)
Posts: 3,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I haven't seen any evidence of hysterical laughter here.
You haven't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
OMG...it was hysterical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
I almost peed myself laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobrynncess View Post
At that moment I almost wished I was wearing a Depends, I laughed so hard.
Sometimes people just get confused. My DH has been to WDW 8 times and he still calls HS, Universal. Disney can be overwhelming, even for experienced visitors.
__________________
Christine

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014 ~ YC Sept 2015
drgnfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!
 
disneynanacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 672

I've got a couple. I took my dad, aunt & uncle a few years ago. All of them in their 70s. My aunt and uncles first trip. We'd been there a few days seeing the sights, animatronics, shows, and they're having the best time of their life. We go to fort wilderness to see hoop dee doo one night and the horse and carriage was outside near by. I pointed it out to them and my aunt asks "is it real?" Lol. I said yes and she said she had seen so many animals she didn't know what was real or animatronics anymore. Lol

Sat behind a couple on DME once and listened to the man tell his wife the Hess station was the transportation and ticket center.
__________________
disneynanacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #36
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!
 
disneynanacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnfly30 View Post

You haven't?





Sometimes people just get confused. My DH has been to WDW 8 times and he still calls HS, Universal. Disney can be overwhelming, even for experienced visitors.
I still call DHS MGM all the time.
__________________
disneynanacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
jaiminee krikit
Mouseketeer
 
jaiminee krikit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 252

On my last trip, I stayed at Pop and got to test out the MagicBands and FP+. While waiting in line for the MK bus one morning, this man was going off about how stupid the FP+ was. He was explaining to his party that the purpose of the regular FP is you get the FP, and right away get to go to the front of the line. Even before I joined Dis, I knew and understood the concept of the FP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall a FP being an instant front-of-the-line pass. That would kinda negate the purpose IMO.
What really cracked me up was when he said "They shouldn't be called Fast Passes, they should be called Moron Passes". Still makes me chuckle. Moron Passes.
__________________
Jaiminee Krikit
jaiminee krikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #38
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

The only time I would ever laugh (and even then not in their face) is when some sort of know-it-all tries to tell me I am wrong. I agree a few examples here are not so crazy, and some appear to be more language/communication issues. But I think all will like this one. For example, a few years ago my wife was at a work function/convention at the poly. Her boss's boss spoke to some worker who meant to tell the boss's boss that they could avoid the resort monorail and walk to the epcot monorail/ttc from poly, but what the "vip" heard was that they should just walk all the way to the poly. This was
before blackberries and iphones had internet-u were lucky if there was email, and most just had cell phones and maybe text. My wife knew I was the disney "expert" (maybe not compared to everyone here, but decent), so she called me back home (1000 miles away) just to tell me about this great tip they learned and wondering why I did not tell her before the trip. I begged her not to do it - she reluctantly let me speak to her boss (not the boss's boss) who refused to believe me that the worker must have just been referring to walking to epcot monorail at ttc, because rheir vip is "never wrong". I begged them to take monorail there, and then if was really short, could walk back, and if I was wrong, I would treat the boss and boss's boss to drinks- I was joining them in few days. They reluctantly agreed, and then "sort of" thanked me later.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #39
trishadono
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 2,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
The only time I would ever laugh (and even then not in their face) is when some sort of know-it-all tries to tell me I am wrong. I agree a few examples here are not so crazy, and some appear to be more language/communication issues. But I think all will like this one. For example, a few years ago my wife was at a work function/convention at the poly. Her boss's boss spoke to some worker who meant to tell the boss's boss that they could avoid the resort monorail and walk to the epcot monorail/ttc from poly, but what the "vip" heard was that they should just walk all the way to the poly. This was
before blackberries and iphones had internet-u were lucky if there was email, and most just had cell phones and maybe text. My wife knew I was the disney "expert" (maybe not compared to everyone here, but decent), so she called me back home (1000 miles away) just to tell me about this great tip they learned and wondering why I did not tell her before the trip. I begged her not to do it - she reluctantly let me speak to her boss (not the boss's boss) who refused to believe me that the worker must have just been referring to walking to epcot monorail at ttc, because rheir vip is "never wrong". I begged them to take monorail there, and then if was really short, could walk back, and if I was wrong, I would treat the boss and boss's boss to drinks- I was joining them in few days. They reluctantly agreed, and then "sort of" thanked me later.
That would be some walk



Think I will take the monorail!
__________________
WL CL 1/18-22.




CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #40
rosiebean
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 152

FWIW, I research the heck out of everything before paying for it...from the shoes I bought when I discovered Zumba to replacing my toaster.

I know Disney is huge and it's hard for a newbie to grasp the ins and outs of *everything*, but I still don't get not doing the most basic research when planning a vacation there (or anywhere). Back in 2005, when planning my last trip (which was the first in over 10 years), in the course of a month, I managed to figure out how to rent DVC points, what parks to visit when (as we were staying over Christmas), and that I should forget trying to make restaurant ressies as my extended family was just not going to agree on anything in a reasonable amount of time. All it took was a little effort on my part.

As I said, Disney is big and confusing. I can understand getting confused while in the Disney bubble (you mean the monorail doesn't go to AK?), but to think it goes to a Super 8 Motel shows a total lack of preparation that is, personally, mind boggling. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around such a lack of prep on ANY vacation, not just one to Disney.

I *would indeed* find the situation amusing. I wouldn't laugh in the person's face or demean them publicly....I'd try to help, if I were on hand, though honestly, I'd be gaping internally at their naivete. I've seen similar situations traveling abroad when foreign tourists visit a place halfway around the world without any prep at all.
rosiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #41
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,193

I was once on the monorail platform at MK and an older couple was arguing with the cm that the last time they stayed there the monorail went to All Stars!
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #42
Tink575
Mouseketeer
 
Tink575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE and Kissimmee
Posts: 391

The only time I didn't research was in the early 1970's on our first trip. My dh and I had an opportunity, last minute, to go to the park for 3 days after we had taken a cruise. My dh had been to Disneyland so he had some idea what to do.

When we planned our first trip with our daughter in 1986 I bought the Birnbaum book and studied it religiously. She had a heart condition and I needed an idea of what the rides were like. The book had a lot of information about things we did not know about and we developed a love for River Country.
__________________
Me 63; DH : 64;

Sept. - Oct. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #43
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,233

A few years ago we were at the Poly, and a guest asked a CM why they couldn't swim in the ocean. Ok that lake looks nothing like an ocean. You would also assume that anyone that makes enough money to stay at the Poly would be educated enough to know that Orlando is not near the Ocean.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran
 
momtobrynncess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: upstate new york
Posts: 1,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiebean View Post
FWIW, I research the heck out of everything before paying for it...from the shoes I bought when I discovered Zumba to replacing my toaster.

I know Disney is huge and it's hard for a newbie to grasp the ins and outs of *everything*, but I still don't get not doing the most basic research when planning a vacation there (or anywhere). Back in 2005, when planning my last trip (which was the first in over 10 years), in the course of a month, I managed to figure out how to rent DVC points, what parks to visit when (as we were staying over Christmas), and that I should forget trying to make restaurant ressies as my extended family was just not going to agree on anything in a reasonable amount of time. All it took was a little effort on my part.

As I said, Disney is big and confusing. I can understand getting confused while in the Disney bubble (you mean the monorail doesn't go to AK?), but to think it goes to a Super 8 Motel shows a total lack of preparation that is, personally, mind boggling. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around such a lack of prep on ANY vacation, not just one to Disney.

I *would indeed* find the situation amusing. I wouldn't laugh in the person's face or demean them publicly....I'd try to help, if I were on hand, though honestly, I'd be gaping internally at their naivete. I've seen similar situations traveling abroad when foreign tourists visit a place halfway around the world without any prep at all.
Yes. And as I've said before, I would NEVER laugh in someone's face. (Only myself because I can laugh at myself). I didn't even mention it to dh until we were quite a distance from where I heard it, as our group got momentarily separated in the crowds.

I agree with what you said about traveling abroad. I would never think of traveling to another country without a) having some knowledge of where I was going and b) a basic understanding of their language. At least I would hope to.

I was a newbie once too, and didn't have an iota of the understanding I have now. I never thought the monorail left Disney's property though.
__________________
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #45
disney is my life
DIS Veteran
 
disney is my life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 640

I think all you can do for the non-planners is hope that it doesn't destroy their image of Disney to the point they never return.
We were absolutely one of those people who went into our first trip with almost 0 planning. I don't even remember how we picked our resort .
On our first trip we went for 3 days although we only spent 1 and a half days in the party and we honestly thought we could see everything . We made no ADR's and I still remember walking up to Tony's and asking the CM if there were any tables and he gave us a "you must be new" look and said there was nothing open for the rest of the day

For those of you wondering how people can not plan and go it's really quite simple:
we didn't realize Disney even had TS restaurants (what amusement park does?) never mind how early we had to make reservations to get into them.
We didn't realize that there were books about it. To us this was a trip to an amusement park. I don't know too many people who buy guide books or look into food options 6 months in advance to visit a local amusement park so the thought never occurred to us Obviously now we know all these things and are able to have much more enjoyable trips including ADR's

I do understand the laughter as we still look back and laugh at how we thought we could just walk in to Tony's as if it was first come first serve.
__________________
DMom DDad DD17 DD8

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2015-Caribbean Beach Resort
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.