Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscoloo
My husband just advised me that Disney called him today to tell him that he should file a police report online if he hadn't already. And yes, I have a low opinion of his ability to keep track of his valuables as well as his ability to escalate the matter to the appropriate Disney staff. I shouldn't have to micromanage him, nor do I want to, especially when I'm busy keeping an eye on our bags as well as 2 young children so that no one takes either the bags or my children. In any case, whether I have a low opinion of him with regard to certain things is totally irrelevant to my post. We did not accuse anyone specifically for taking the watch; it could've been the housekeeper or it could've been someone who snuck in and out quickly while the housekeeper was busy cleaning the room. I made it very clear during my 1-minute interaction with the staff that we went thru the room with a fine tooth comb and did not find it and that it had to have been taken out of the room. On top of that, our TV was on when we returned to the room after dinner (we NEVER leave the TV on when we leave the room) and the front panel to the Mickey Band door sensor was on the floor in front of the TV. Both very odd and both of which I told the staff about. They explained it away by saying that the housekeeper could've knocked off the plastic panel (how it ended up from the front door into the middle of the room is beyond me) and that the housekeeper might've turned on the TV inadvertently. Now that I think about it, I wonder if someone was able to thwart the Mickey Band sensor which makes sense since the front panel was removed. My problem lies with Disney not reacting properly as Eeyore's Wife stated above and I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience with personal property being taken from their room and how Disney responded. I am not naive to think that crime doesn't happen and I always take my valuables with me or deposit them in the room safe. However, that doesn't prevent my husband from being naive and careless.
This is a very sad post. I hope his watch is found.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
Jenmia
Earning My Ears

We took our daughter to Disney for her 5th birthday back in 2007. Stayed at Coronado Springs and on the second to last night my daughters stuffed Elmo that she has slept with everyday since she was an infant went missing. We searched everywhere in the room. It was nowhere to be found. We figured maybe if the sheets were changed that day maybe it got wrapped up in them but do they usually change the sheets mid stay? We went to the front desk and of course they were of no help. Obviously it doesn't cost a lot of money but she had slept with it for almost 5 years. We are taking our son in 24 days for his 5th birthday and you better believe I will put his Simba in his suitcase everyday while we are at the park.

Last edited by Jenmia; 08-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmia View Post
We took our daughter to Disney for her 5th birthday back in 2007. Stayed at Coronado Springs and on the second to last night my daughters stuffed Elmo that she has slept with everyday since she was an infant went missing. We searched everywhere in the room. It was nowhere to be found. We figured maybe if the sheets were changed that day maybe it got wrapped up in them but do they usually change the sheets mid stay? We went to the front desk and of course they were of no help. Obviously it doesn't cost a lot of money but she had slept with it for almost 5 years. We are taking our son in 24 days for his 5th birthday and you better believe I will put his Simba in his suitcase everyday while we are at the park.
Yes, and as I have learned the hard way, buy TWO of those beloved stuffed friends, keeping one in hiding for just such emergencies!
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013

Last edited by ddixon1; 08-22-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

1) Why was it not in the safe if he was not wearing it?

2) Why would you DH have valuable items if he is careless with them?

3) I would have called the police from FL. Definitely file the police report. Does your homeowner's insurance cover the loss?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
1) Why was it not in the safe if he was not wearing it?

2) Why would you DH have valuable items if he is careless with them?

3) I would have called the police from FL. Definitely file the police report. Does your homeowner's insurance cover the loss?
Geez! I am amazed at many responses here! Especially with two young children, here is a perfectly plausible scenario...he jumps in the shower early in the morning while dw is desperately trying to get herself and the kids ready for an early ADR with characters inside an early entry park, she can't find a sandal for their youngest, calls out to him to help her find it, he rushes out and they find the sandal only to realize they are going to be late, the watch is still sitting on the sink as they leave out...just one of a million scenarios that 'could' happen...you people passing judgment need to get an imagination.

Dh is an adult! I do not think he was careless with it, possibly distracted, but careless..really?

Homeowner's may cover, but what about the exorbitant deductible and risk of raising a potentially high annual rate...all because they were victims of a crime more than likely at the hands of employees hired by the establishment they already spent thousands on to provide the family a much needed break.

Glad that Disney encouraged them to file a report...bet he will be much more mindful of his replacement watch than the first one, dw needs to give herself a break and let me say that I am so sorry you both have to deal with this after a vacation...makes us all more alert for our visits there! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Princess_Nikki
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ames389 View Post
Even things "in the little safe" in your room are not safe or secure. Have you seen the news in the past 24 hours? A maid was caught on video stealing from a SAFE at All Star Music! They have the master code. And yes I realize someone other than housekeeping could have stolen the watch...but that is unlikely.
Woah. I must have been hiding under a rock in Siberia for a long time....are you saying there was an intentional video camera in a hotel room?? Maybe I'm naive & private but that's kinda creepy.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Had things stolen from us TWICE in one week a few years ago. Once while we were at EPCOT we had 5 spray bottle fans for the 7 of us. We naively left them on the stroller while inside Imagination, and when we returned they were all gone. No biggie. We screwed-up. When I went to more I jokingly said "I sure hope these don't get stolen too...", and the girl selling them gave us 5 for FREE. I was very impressed with that. A day later I was doing laundry at All Star Movies. I had the laundry in the washer with my dryer sheets sitting on top. I was sitting in a chair that I brought in a few feet away from the washer messing around with uploading pictures on my laptop. People came in and out, and walked past me. I was literally 3 feet from my stuff, and when the washer stopped and I got up to put everything in the dryers, the dryer sheets, along with my travel laundry bag were gone. Taken right out from under my nose! Again, it was my fault for not keeping a better awareness of who was coming and going and where my things were. I had been under the impression, naively, that this sort of stuff was VERY rare in Disney. It woke me up, and I realized that no matter where you go, and how comfy you feel somewhere, you can NEVER let down your guard. Still to this day I can't believe that happened to me.
2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3

Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Nikki View Post
Woah. I must have been hiding under a rock in Siberia for a long time....are you saying there was an intentional video camera in a hotel room?? Maybe I'm naive & private but that's kinda creepy.
It seems the room was set up with the camera specifically to see what the maid would do.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

The intentional video was part of a "sting" operation in place to verify that the maid was stealing cash. There had been multiple robberies in rooms that she cleaned. Cash was her focus, so a room was set up with cash whose serial numbers had been recorded.

She broke into the safe and took cash.

She was promptly arrested.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
the front panel to the Mickey Band door sensor was on the floor in front of the TV.
Ugh.

We were at Kidani in February and on our way out one day as the door shut the RFID panel fell to the ground. Fabulous construction!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #26
criscoloo
Earning My Ears

OP here: it's certainly possible that the housekeeper turned on the TV inadvertently and the front panel fell to the floor (still doesn't explain how it made it to the middle of the room), but with the watch disappearing, the more likely scenario to me is that someone gained unauthorized (or maybe even authorized) access to the room by tampering with the sensor panel somehow after removing the front panel (the exposed sensor panel looks like a computer board), walking into the room quickly with the panel and throwing it onto the floor while searching the room for valuables. Why someone would turn on the TV is beyond me, although I can't put myself into the mind of someone who intentionally does a criminal act (assuming that my scenario is how it all went down in the first place). Those who feel the need to judge me for letting my husband carry around valuables in the first place or him for not having used the safe are probably the same ones who think that the woman asked for it by dressing provocatively.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #27
criscoloo
Earning My Ears

Thanks to you and Eeyore's Wife for the moral support!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #28
criscoloo
Earning My Ears

lmhall 2000, I meant to quote your reply in my "thanks for the moral support" earlier.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
HMANSION LOVER
PIN TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
Had things stolen from us TWICE in one week a few years ago. Once while we were at EPCOT we had 5 spray bottle fans for the 7 of us. We naively left them on the stroller while inside Imagination, and when we returned they were all gone. No biggie. We screwed-up. When I went to more I jokingly said "I sure hope these don't get stolen too...", and the girl selling them gave us 5 for FREE. I was very impressed with that. A day later I was doing laundry at All Star Movies. I had the laundry in the washer with my dryer sheets sitting on top. I was sitting in a chair that I brought in a few feet away from the washer messing around with uploading pictures on my laptop. People came in and out, and walked past me. I was literally 3 feet from my stuff, and when the washer stopped and I got up to put everything in the dryers, the dryer sheets, along with my travel laundry bag were gone. Taken right out from under my nose! Again, it was my fault for not keeping a better awareness of who was coming and going and where my things were. I had been under the impression, naively, that this sort of stuff was VERY rare in Disney. It woke me up, and I realized that no matter where you go, and how comfy you feel somewhere, you can NEVER let down your guard. Still to this day I can't believe that happened to me.
It is becoming more and more apparent that we, the honest people, are the minority. You have enough money to vacation at a Disney resort yet you feel the need to steal someone's stuff, how pathetic. It is a shame we have to share our space in life with people like that!

Me DW:: DS15 DD:: 10
1999 WDW Music
2000 WDW Off property
2004 WDW Off property
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2011 WDW Boardwalk Villas
2013 DLR PPH and DLH
Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscoloo View Post
OP here: it's certainly possible that the housekeeper turned on the TV inadvertently and the front panel fell to the floor (still doesn't explain how it made it to the middle of the room), ...
I was NOT saying that yours had simply fallen to the floor. I was "ugh"ing that the construction of the lock units is so bad that it CAN fall down. If it can fall, it can be broken into easily. I would have said all that but I didn't think for a second that my comment could have been construed as saying that your situation simply involved it falling to the ground. And floating out of the hall and into the room. Didn't cross my mind.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: