Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
criscoloo
Earning My Ears

Expensive watch taken from room

My husband's very expensive watch disappeared from our room one evening at AKL earlier this week. Didn't realize it was missing until we packed to check out the following morning. Reported it to the front desk and they treated it as a "lost property" incident, rather than stolen property, despite my suggesting that it had to have been physically removed from our room and that it wasn't lost somewhere in the room between the bedsheets. Supervisor came and said they would look at the door log to see who entered the room and that they would mail the watch to us if they find it. Seems to me that they were not prepared to deal with this as a stolen property incident. Has anyone dealt with this? Not sure what to do now that we're back home. If I was back in a hotel back home and not on my way to the airport, I would've insisted that the police be called.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I think I would have called the police myself and made a report if the watch was very expensive.
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
criscoloo
Earning My Ears

Unfortunately, I was minding the luggage and my children nearby while trusting my husband to take care of this properly, especially since it was his watch. Obviously, that was a big mistake.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
RubenCamacho
Earning My Ears

you should learn to trust your husband in dealing with matters. your comment suggests a low opinion of him.

I imagine a ton of people claim things are stolen in Hotels and blame housekeepers. There has to be an investigation , you just can't go pointing fingers and getting people fired.

That being said, there's a nice little safe included in every room. important items go in the safe.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We leave things in our rooms all the time like laptops and cameras. Have never had a problem and we stay at the value resorts. Have never once even thought that someone has taken anything.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubencamacho View Post

i imagine a ton of people claim things are stolen in hotels and blame housekeepers. There has to be an investigation , you just can't go pointing fingers and getting people fired.

That being said, there's a nice little safe included in every room. Important items go in the safe.
+1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3

Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Ames389
Earning My Ears

Even things "in the little safe" in your room are not safe or secure. Have you seen the news in the past 24 hours? A maid was caught on video stealing from a SAFE at All Star Music! They have the master code. And yes I realize someone other than housekeeping could have stolen the watch...but that is unlikely.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ames389 View Post
Even things "in the little safe" in your room are not safe or secure. Have you seen the news in the past 24 hours? A maid was caught on video stealing from a SAFE at All Star Music! They have the master code. And yes I realize someone other than housekeeping could have stolen the watch...but that is unlikely.
I was just at All Star Music. My safe had a key, not a keypad. Pretty sure placing a watch in a safe is 99 times safer than NOT placing it in a safe. The odds that someone will break into your safe are a lot smaller than if you carelessly leave expensive items out where they can just be picked up. Common sense.
2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3

Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

It is pretty obvious that things are stolen from both rooms and safes. There was just an incident at ASMusic where a housekeeper was caught, red handed, stealing from the safe!
I refuse to leave anything in the room that I can't afford to replace.
But....there are plenty of honest CMs out there. While at ASMusic in late May, my 19 y/o dd left her iPod in the bed. She sleeps with it, using the earbuds. She got up that morning and completely forgot to take it out from under the pillow and put it in the drawer. We figured it was as food as gone. But no. It was sitting there, on the pillow, with the earbuds hanging over a plush animal's head...as if he was listening to music! Very impressive.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

You should be able to claim this on your homeowners insurance. But I agree Disney did not handle this right.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

OP: I am sorry you had a watch stolen. It is NOT too late to call the police in Florida. File a report. It would help if you had a picture, detailed description, and a receipt.

When you have the police report you can make a claim on your homeowners or renters insurance.

Forward the report to Disney.

As to anyone's suggestion that you have a low opinion of your husband, I did not perceive that at all. You just seemed frustrated that when you DID trust your husband he did not follow through in the manner you anticipated.

Is it prudent to take extra care and caution? Yes. Will I summarily brand you a simpleton or somehow in the wrong for having been the victim of a crime...NO.

I am not omniscient. I have no idea if the tiny safe was already filled with other items of value such as notebook computers, jewelry, and cameras. Perhaps your husband had taken off the watch to wash his hands or take a shower and forgot it there, not leaving in intentionally. Perhaps he was just in the Disney bubble and did not take the extra minute to utilize the safe.

Whether or not you utilized the safe, you are the victim of a property crime.

At no point did you call for someone to be summarily fired, nor did you suggest that an investigation was irrelevant. You simply stated you were disappointed that Disney employees wanted to go forward as if your item were lost as opposed to stolen.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I imagine a ton of people claim things are stolen in Hotels and blame housekeepers. There has to be an investigation , you just can't go pointing fingers and getting people fired.

That being said, there's a nice little safe included in every room. important items go in the safe.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree!

Quite frankly if they do not have any electric record of anyone else entering the room, its either still in the room or was lost somewhere else. That is why they would not immediately call police.

AKK
Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

In 2011 my sons ray bans were taken out of our room at the Poly, we reported it to a manager who had security come & file a report and gave us a card to call in two weeks. About 2 weeks after that my son received a $180 check to replace the Raybans.. Did they give you a number to call & file a claim? If not I'd email guest services NOW about this, they will have someone call you and speak to you, may take a week or so but they will do it. Also it may not hurt to call whatever police station reports to that area & make a report over the phone but I wouldn't wait..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscoloo View Post
My husband's very expensive watch disappeared from our room one evening at AKL earlier this week. Didn't realize it was missing until we packed to check out the following morning. Reported it to the front desk and they treated it as a "lost property" incident, rather than stolen property, despite my suggesting that it had to have been physically removed from our room and that it wasn't lost somewhere in the room between the bedsheets. Supervisor came and said they would look at the door log to see who entered the room and that they would mail the watch to us if they find it. Seems to me that they were not prepared to deal with this as a stolen property incident. Has anyone dealt with this? Not sure what to do now that we're back home. If I was back in a hotel back home and not on my way to the airport, I would've insisted that the police be called.
Call the Orange Co Sheriff to file a report. About 14 years ago, my cellphone was missing from a room at OKW. Back then I had limited minutes and didn't carry my phone around. The last time I had seen it was right after check-in when I was expecting a call from a friend who I was meeting. It's entirely possible I just laid it down but I wasn't sure, I thought I placed it in my carryon. To file a claim on homeowners, I needed a police report and they directed me to the Sheriff. They just took the information over the phone and gave me a file #.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
We leave things in our rooms all the time like laptops and cameras. Have never had a problem and we stay at the value resorts. Have never once even thought that someone has taken anything.
99 out of 100 times nothing would happen but you shouldn't take that chance. Look at the housekeeper recently arrested. Rooms get propped open sometimes while they are cleaning and someone could grab something. I stayed at Paradise Pier in DL a couple of weeks ago, I threw my new laptop into my suitcase each morning.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
criscoloo
Earning My Ears

My husband just advised me that Disney called him today to tell him that he should file a police report online if he hadn't already. And yes, I have a low opinion of his ability to keep track of his valuables as well as his ability to escalate the matter to the appropriate Disney staff. I shouldn't have to micromanage him, nor do I want to, especially when I'm busy keeping an eye on our bags as well as 2 young children so that no one takes either the bags or my children. In any case, whether I have a low opinion of him with regard to certain things is totally irrelevant to my post. We did not accuse anyone specifically for taking the watch; it could've been the housekeeper or it could've been someone who snuck in and out quickly while the housekeeper was busy cleaning the room. I made it very clear during my 1-minute interaction with the staff that we went thru the room with a fine tooth comb and did not find it and that it had to have been taken out of the room. On top of that, our TV was on when we returned to the room after dinner (we NEVER leave the TV on when we leave the room) and the front panel to the Mickey Band door sensor was on the floor in front of the TV. Both very odd and both of which I told the staff about. They explained it away by saying that the housekeeper could've knocked off the plastic panel (how it ended up from the front door into the middle of the room is beyond me) and that the housekeeper might've turned on the TV inadvertently. Now that I think about it, I wonder if someone was able to thwart the Mickey Band sensor which makes sense since the front panel was removed. My problem lies with Disney not reacting properly as Eeyore's Wife stated above and I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience with personal property being taken from their room and how Disney responded. I am not naive to think that crime doesn't happen and I always take my valuables with me or deposit them in the room safe. However, that doesn't prevent my husband from being naive and careless.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: