DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Mick West
Mouseketeer

It works splendidly for me, but my objective was probably a bit different. I know tons of folks say you're nuts to use points for cruises. Well, I don't buy it. I bought Hilton Head points resale a few years back - when they were pretty cheap! I was surprised they passed ROFR. These were bought when there were no restrictions so these are primarily my "cruise" bucket! I have used them for HHI and resort stays at Disney also. I think if the situation were different I'd prefer the same use year.
Mick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick West View Post
It works splendidly for me, but my objective was probably a bit different. I know tons of folks say you're nuts to use points for cruises. Well, I don't buy it. I bought Hilton Head points resale a few years back - when they were pretty cheap! I was surprised they passed ROFR. These were bought when there were no restrictions so these are primarily my "cruise" bucket! I have used them for HHI and resort stays at Disney also. I think if the situation were different I'd prefer the same use year.
It's all in the availability, numbers and getting the best price possible. If you can cruise or use your points for something outside of DVC stays, when you want, where you want at a price better than paying cash then it makes sense to do so.

Many owners assume that if Disney is offering the ability to use their points somewhere other that DVC stays, it must be a good deal, that is not usually the case.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
rfc0001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick West View Post
Just to clarify, you can't use new resale purchases for cruises anymore in case someone reading this is considering that. Also, the reason they aren't a good deal (therefore this shouldn't really influence the decision to buy resale) has nothing to do with what you paid for the points...it's based on what they are *worth*. You can easily rent DVC points for $11-$12/point. There are reputable services that will do this for you with little effort. So, if you take the points for a cruise * $11 this is *always* greater than the cash cost for the same cruise -- therefore you would be better off renting the points and paying for the cruise out of pocket. Granted, you have to use the majority of your points yourself per the purchase agreement, so if you cruise every year, it wouldn't be feasible to rent all of them every year (only half of them at most).
rfc0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
rfc0001
Mouseketeer

Quick question -- since now DVC website uses Disney Account, how does it work if you have multiple DVC memberships (UYs)? Do you see all of them when you sign into dvc.disney.go.com with your single Disney Account? When you book do you have to choose one membership, then can only select points within that? I understand the restrictions stated here, just curious how that actually works when making reservations on the website. Thanks!
rfc0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfc0001 View Post
Just to clarify, you can't use new resale purchases for cruises anymore in case someone reading this is considering that. Also, the reason they aren't a good deal (therefore this shouldn't really influence the decision to buy resale) has nothing to do with what you paid for the points...it's based on what they are *worth*. You can easily rent DVC points for $11-$12/point. There are reputable services that will do this for you with little effort. So, if you take the points for a cruise * $11 this is *always* greater than the cash cost for the same cruise -- therefore you would be better off renting the points and paying for the cruise out of pocket. Granted, you have to use the majority of your points yourself per the purchase agreement, so if you cruise every year, it wouldn't be feasible to rent all of them every year (only half of them at most).
Another issue to consider is that cruises are not always available for DVC points. Prior to the 3rd and 4th ships, DVC had black out periods for cruses, once I believe for a full season.

Now that Disney is having trouble filling the cabins, they have opened up reservations on points. Should availability get tight again, we will see more black out periods.

Bill

Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
TeleoDeum
Earning My Ears

Clarification please...

In the given example earlier, the two resale contracts had the same UY but at different resorts. Can one combine resales from different resorts into the same membership and use the points as a combined point total for booking? If so, how does this work with the home resort booking advantage?

Thanks,

Greg
TeleoDeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfc0001 View Post
Quick question -- since now DVC website uses Disney Account, how does it work if you have multiple DVC memberships (UYs)? Do you see all of them when you sign into dvc.disney.go.com with your single Disney Account? When you book do you have to choose one membership, then can only select points within that? I understand the restrictions stated here, just curious how that actually works when making reservations on the website. Thanks!
Someone had mentioned on a prior thread that multiple UY accounts can be combined into 1 login. I assume it would work similarly to multiple resorts, except you can't combine points for a reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleoDeum View Post
In the given example earlier, the two resale contracts had the same UY but at different resorts. Can one combine resales from different resorts into the same membership and use the points as a combined point total for booking? If so, how does this work with the home resort booking advantage?
You can only use the combined points to book at the 7 month window. Anything before that, is booked separately. So if you need 200pts for the 7 month reservation and you have 150 AKV and 150 BWV, you pick the account you want to use first, and the other one will be left with 100 points. This is the same if you have direct or resale contracts.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #23
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Personally, I have kept the same UY. It is just easier for me to deal with.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
EEGRAM
Earning My Ears

Thanks all. This helps immensely as I find myself unintentionally with 2 contracts each a different resort and use year. SSR - Use year June (if it pass ROFR) & VGF - Use Year Oct.
EEGRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEGRAM View Post
Thanks all. This helps immensely as I find myself unintentionally with 2 contracts each a different resort and use year. SSR - Use year June (if it pass ROFR) & VGF - Use Year Oct.
If the contracts are deeded the same, you can have them added to the same web account on the member site.

If they are different, you will have to long on separately to see them.

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: