Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #616
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used
 
Backstage_Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida
Posts: 11,394

OH my gosh, yet another trip in my footsteps (likely the last though).

We went to the Zugspitze when the kids were about 10 and 5. The saw their first snow (well, icy slush really) there and crossed over to Austria. I think we even ate at the same restaurant, and took the gondola. This was like 25 years ago (I am so old, wahhhhhhhhhhh ). We even went to see some opulent church, not sure if it was the same one though.

Great update as always, Ponzi! And now you can maybe show me sites for me to follow in your footsteps in Italy for my retirement years!
__________________
Backstage_Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #617
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeb144 View Post
This sounds like foreshadowing for another thing for the next trip to Europe...
You'll just have to wait until the next chapter to find out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
OH my gosh, yet another trip in my footsteps (likely the last though).

We went to the Zugspitze when the kids were about 10 and 5. The saw their first snow (well, icy slush really) there and crossed over to Austria. I think we even ate at the same restaurant, and took the gondola. This was like 25 years ago (I am so old, wahhhhhhhhhhh ). We even went to see some opulent church, not sure if it was the same one though.
Do you remember going through the border patrol, then?
When you walked from Germany to Austria?
I know 25 years is a long time ago, but I thought I'd ask on the off chance you remember.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Great update as always, Ponzi! And now you can maybe show me sites for me to follow in your footsteps in Italy for my retirement years!
ummmm....
I'm afraid I'll probably disapoint you then.
We only went to Venice. (Taste of Europe, remember?)
I will have pics and comments about that one city, at least.
Sorry I won't have more for you.
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP


Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #618
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used
 
Backstage_Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida
Posts: 11,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
You'll just have to wait until the next chapter to find out.




Do you remember going through the border patrol, then?
When you walked from Germany to Austria?
I know 25 years is a long time ago, but I thought I'd ask on the off chance you remember.



Yes, I indeed remember going through the border patrol. Luckily we had our passports too! Kind or surreal, border patrol on the top of the mountain.

Well, Ponzi, we had Paris, so if we can have Venice too, so much the better! (where is the Heart Smiley when you need it?)
__________________
Backstage_Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #619
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Yes, I indeed remember going through the border patrol. Luckily we had our passports too! Kind or surreal, border patrol on the top of the mountain.
So it wasn't just a vicious rumour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Well, Ponzi, we had Paris,
We'll always have Paris, Marita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
so if we can have Venice too, so much the better!
Okay, deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
(where is the Heart Smiley when you need it?)
I left it in San Francisco.
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP


Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #620
buzz1121
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 824

Dearest Pkondz,

Please kindly remove your Polar Vortex from the US. It is wreaking havoc in approximately 26 of our states. Are you Elsa in disguise?

I have already had enough of your Canadian arctic fury.

I yield.

Your cold friend,

Buzz
buzz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #621
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
Dearest Pkondz,

Please kindly remove your Polar Vortex from the US. It is wreaking havoc in approximately 26 of our states. Are you Elsa in disguise?

I have already had enough of your Canadian arctic fury.

I yield.

Your cold friend,

Buzz
Consider it done.
I'm at work right now, but I'll have it gone by the end of the week.
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP


Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #622
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights
 
jedijill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,664

Now I need to plan a return trip to Germany and Austria. There are a lot of spots that I missed (darn military deployments!) Maybe 2015.

Jill in CO
__________________
jedijill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #623
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,413

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Oh yeah. One more thing.
Did I mention it's been a little coolish around here, lately?

Here's an article from one of our newspapers.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/12/3...ay-in-80-years
I especially like the way the Environment Canada dude keeps saying cool, not cold but cool. Now THAT'S a true Canadian. We weren't quite that "cool" here in Ottawa, but we've been feeling it. My office started a couple of mornings last week at 13C (indoors), it is really hard to type with gloves on! That's what I'm doing right now too - with windchill in the -40 (C or F doesn't really matter) region this morning, my office is an ice box again and the gloves are on!
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th


bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #624
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,941

Wow! More amazing pics! I had a feeling the Frei parking was going to get you - and no, I don't speak German! - It's like Hotel California, you can park anytime you like, but you can never leave - unless you pay your 3 Euros.

It looks like the amazing view might be worth the squishiness, but I would never convince DH of that.

I'm sorry how cold it is for everyone way up there - the heaters can't even keep up, sounds like. We had 21F last night, which here in the South is quite cold. I do remember our North Dakota days, when if it got up to 30F in the Winter, we would put on our shorts, wash our cars and throw a BBQ!

Try to stay warm!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #625
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,745

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
This way to the egress!
[COLOR="Blue"][B]
After just another breathtaking, heart achingly beautiful drive through alpine valleys and forests,
Wow, even imagining - it's beautiful. Your pictures have been breathtaking. So it's probably a x10 situation, eh?

(I won't tell you that I just spent 2 minutes going "where's the times sign on the keyboard?" WHERE IS IT? - that's so heart achingly stupid, isn't it? I love it. )



Quote:
Hmmmm....
You're good at these hmmm moments, eh?


Quote:

The ice fields are more fun. Skiing or sledding in the summer.
The summit is... well, the summit.

I pick the summit.

Huh?


Quote:
.

With any luck, many of the people ahead of us will not have purchased their tickets and we'll get on quicker.

Sort of an evil fastpass.

I'm hearing an evil laugh from the Hilarious House of Frightenstein right now.


Quote:
World domination is put on the backburner.
Totally.

Quote:


Oh boy, that must have been absolutely breathtaking!

Quote:


If you do make the trek up to the cross, and fall from there?
You will not need medical care.
You will die.
On the plus side...
You will have a very long time to think about how silly you were for not watching where you were putting your feet.

Crazy.

Crap. Crap. Crap. I took out the picture with the HAPPY HAPPY people.






Oh no I didn't. There they are! .

Quote:

Albert Einstein's definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So of course I tried it again.

We're all ridiculous like that, eh? They were all so polite to you. That's lovely. Try going over the George Washington Bridge and finding yourself stuck in the E-Z Pass lane, trying to get out. Zero compassion.


Quote:

There have been claims that many people who've prayed here have been miraculously cured.
The interior of the church reflects its importance as a pilgrimage site.




The statue is located just behind the altar.


Interesting.


Quote:

I think we visited the interior for just under two minutes.
For two minutes, I guess.

Quote:

But I had one more little thing on my bucket list for Germany.
And tomorrow, it was going to happen.

I was not going to be denied!!


Can't wait. And then Venice!
__________________

Last edited by lisaviolet; 01-07-2014 at 07:18 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #626
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Now I need to plan a return trip to Germany and Austria. There are a lot of spots that I missed (darn military deployments!) Maybe 2015.
I have one word for you...

Go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I especially like the way the Environment Canada dude keeps saying cool, not cold but cool. Now THAT'S a true Canadian.
Ruby has her own expression for when it's ridiculously cold.
She says it's 'stupid cold' out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
my office is an ice box again and the gloves are on!
Wait... Isn't that expression: "The gloves are off"?
I guess in this case we can make an exception...


Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Wow! More amazing pics! I had a feeling the Frei parking was going to get you - and no, I don't speak German! - It's like Hotel California, you can park anytime you like, but you can never leave - unless you pay your 3 Euros.
Last thing I remember, I was
Driving, my foot on the floor
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Sich entspannen, " said the German,
"Wir sind so programmiert, erhalten.
Sie können jederzeit die Sie mögen,
Aber es wird 3 euro kosten lassen! "

"Huh?" <massive guitar solo>


Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
It looks like the amazing view might be worth the squishiness, but I would never convince DH of that.
Heights? Or confined spaces?
If it's confined spaces, he can always walk up.
(Might be a while, though)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I'm sorry how cold it is for everyone way up there - the heaters can't even keep up, sounds like.
True. If you turn the fan on the car all the way to full, it's so cold that you quickly suck all the heat out of the engine, unless the RPMs are high enough (i.e. not idling).
It's a dance between keeping the revs up and the fan low.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
We had 21F last night, which here in the South is quite cold.
21F? Suntan weather! Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I do remember our North Dakota days, when if it got up to 30F in the Winter, we would put on our shorts, wash our cars and throw a BBQ!
Yup! That's about right!



Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Wow, even imagining - it's beautiful. Your pictures have been breathtaking. So it's probably a x10 situation, eh?
Pretty much. The pictures don't even come close.
There were many times when we were driving that we'd just shake our heads at how beautiful it was.
Words just can't describe it. Pictures don't do it justice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
(I won't tell you that I just spent 2 minutes going "where's the times sign on the keyboard?" WHERE IS IT? - that's so heart achingly stupid, isn't it? I love it. )
OMG!
Back before computers, you could spend quite a bit of time looking for the number one key on a typewriter.
But at least there wasn't one, so you had an excuse!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
You're good at these hmmm moments, eh?
hmmmmm...... what are you trying to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Huh?
I was wondering if anyone would catch that.
I thought, "We don't have any snow gear, so sledding/skiing might not be such a good idea."
Plus, if you're on a mountain, you want to reach the top, right?

Of course, as it turned out, we didn't quite make the very top after all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
I'm hearing an evil laugh from the Hilarious House of Frightenstein right now.
You should probably consult a doctor about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Crap. Crap. Crap. I took out the picture with the HAPPY HAPPY people.


Oh no I didn't. There they are! .
They do look absolutely thrilled, don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Can't wait. And then Venice!
I hope people won't be disapointed.
Just because it's on my list, doesn't necessarily mean it's on yours.

Next chapter will take us to Venice.
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP


Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #627
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?
 
Thumper_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,445

Ok. I just had this whole breakdown ready to post and now it's gone.

I think there must be an evil spirit in this TR that doesn't want us posting new stuff.
__________________
Thumper_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #628
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Ok. I just had this whole breakdown ready to post and now it's gone.

I think there must be an evil spirit in this TR that doesn't want us posting new stuff.
Ya know, I think you might be ri...

What's that?

Hey!

What do you thi....

Stopit!

Aaaaaaiiiiieeeeeeee!!!!!!!......
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP


Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #629
buzz1121
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Consider it done.
I'm at work right now, but I'll have it gone by the end of the week.
Good night! Talk about taking multi-tasking to a new level! You were working, scaling the mountains of Germany(remember for me as the reader when I read a chapter it's happening in "real time"....take that Keifer!), and you are casually moving crazy,evil, cold air masses with a wave of your hand. Super Pkondz indeed!

By the way, just for the record, we did break the previous low record for my little corner of the world on Monday night. It was 11 degrees here, previous record was 16.

And I promise to comment on the chapter, but it will have to be tomorrow. The BCS games wreaked havoc with my sleep over the past week and I am feeling the need to hibernate a little.

buzz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #630
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
Good night! Talk about taking multi-tasking to a new level! You were working, scaling the mountains of Germany(remember for me as the reader when I read a chapter it's happening in "real time"....take that Keifer!), and you are casually moving crazy,evil, cold air masses with a wave of your hand. Super Pkondz indeed!


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
By the way, just for the record, we did break the previous low record for my little corner of the world on Monday night. It was 11 degrees here, previous record was 16.
Well there ya go.
Doesn't that give you a sense of pride?
A "I survived 11F!" kind of feeling?
I mean, once you thaw out and feeling returns, of course.


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
And I promise to comment on the chapter, but it will have to be tomorrow. The BCS games wreaked havoc with my sleep over the past week and I am feeling the need to hibernate a little.
Certainly.
It's tomorrow now.
Still waiting.....
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP


Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: