Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #196
smidgy
dimples

sorry, just joking.. I'm sure it was very nice.

riding a subway system in a huge foreign city sounds scary to me. what ? no purple signs or ME buses? no friendship boats? lol
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #197
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a terrific chapter Pkondz!

I feel like I am experiencing the sights of Paris with you. I love your lodging!

And I'm with Ruby on the mime thing.

I feel your pain on the tired, bleary first day of your trip. I remember that no-sleep from our trip and I am hard pressed to remember much of the first day.

The entire chapter was well written, sorry you has to write it twice, but the content and pictures are worth the effort you made for your readers.

Trust me, you have me hooked!
buzz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #198
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
Okay, I am mere moments away from reading the new chapter I promise, but I could use everyone's creative mind to help me figure out the best way to break up the word responsible for DS. His challenge words this week are as follows:

apply
occupy
citizen
relieve
responsible

He did great on the tests last week, a 100 on the history, 97 on math, and a 110 on spelling. There is a new wrinkle though, in that beginning this week if he correctly spells all 25 regular words plus all five challenge words he does not have to take the final test on Friday. Thursday's practice test can become his final test with a score of 110.

Any creative thoughts on how to easily break the challenge words above so DS can learn and remember how to spell them would be appreciated. Consider this a weekly puzzle challenge.

And now back to Paris with Pkondz.

it's easier to remember things in parts. just go over the rules for syllables. (esp. dividing syllables if on sep. lines) ex: double consonants are divided between the 2.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #199
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Thanks for the new chapter!! I was really worried you were going to leave us circling over the Atlantic forever.

This is really bringing back such great memories of our trips to Paris. I loved using the Metro- it just made getting around so easy. But our first time was in a heat wave. I don't recall much in the way of A/C in the subway cars. So I did like the locals and bought a fan. Not the battery operated kind- the folding fabric kind that you whip out and flutter like mad. Worked like a charm. I've still got it up on the bookshelf.

Can't wait for the next installment!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #200
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
it's easier to remember things in parts. just go over the rules for syllables. (esp. dividing syllables if on sep. lines) ex: double consonants are divided between the 2.
Thanks Smidgy, puzzle, card, and overall game queen!

What you describe above is pretty much what we have been doing, but with some words that are longer in spelling I have found that breaking the word by mini-words also helps....like relieve. We think breaking this up in RE-LIE-VE will help cement the spelling in his head.

And let me go ahead and give you guys a heads up, during the final week of spelling words in this school year two of the words will be pneumatic and penitentiary. Wow!

buzz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #201
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
Okay, I am mere moments away from reading the new chapter I promise, but I could use everyone's creative mind to help me figure out the best way to break up the word responsible for DS. His challenge words this week are as follows:

apply
occupy
citizen
relieve
responsible

He did great on the tests last week, a 100 on the history, 97 on math, and a 110 on spelling. There is a new wrinkle though, in that beginning this week if he correctly spells all 25 regular words plus all five challenge words he does not have to take the final test on Friday. Thursday's practice test can become his final test with a score of 110.

Any creative thoughts on how to easily break the challenge words above so DS can learn and remember how to spell them would be appreciated. Consider this a weekly puzzle challenge.

And now back to Paris with Pkondz.
I apply responsible citizen(ship) when I relieve myself by occupying the toilet
Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #202
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I'll respond individually in a bit, but in case there's a time crunch, I wanted to respond to this one before I pass out for the night...

Quote:
Okay, I am mere moments away from reading the new chapter I promise, but I could use everyone's creative mind to help me figure out the best way to break up the word responsible for DS.

You're kidding, right? You really want my help on this? It's not obvious?

Oh, all right. How to spell "responsible"

"Do I have to read the RESt of the PONSI tr? BLEh!"

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #203
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Thanks for all the comments everyone! I'll respond individually in a bit, but in case there's a time crunch, I wanted to respond to this one before I pass out for the night...

You're kidding, right? You really want my help on this? It's not obvious?

Oh, all right. How to spell "responsible"

"Do I have to read the RESt of the PONSI tr? BLEh!"

Jill in CO
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #204
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow. (European, of course) Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
check

Quote:
surely (Don't call me Shirley) Airplane
check (but you only get partial points since I gave you the link)

Quote:
she chose to wear flip flops for this leg of the race. Reference to The Amazing Race
check (wasn't sure if anyone'd catch that one.)

Quote:
Oh...we aren't playing the movie quote game?
I think you just did!

Quote:
Great first day in Paris! I've made that walk from Sacre Coure to the Moulin Rouge and it is a LONG walk...can't imagine it in flip flops!
It was a bit of a trek. Who knew? I broke my kid!

Reminds me of when I asked Jean-Louis the best way to get somewhere (I'm not telling you where yet) and he suggested I just walk.
Me: "Walk? but isn't that going to take a long time?"
JL: "Non, perhaps 30 minutes."
Me: "That's all?"
JL: "Mais, oui! Eet eez all down hill!"

Quote:
Ah, macarons! Everything tastes better in Paris! Scary Mime!

I loved the Paris subways...nothing better than it shutting down with no A/C and people who don't know about that modern invention called deodorant.

Jill in CO
Ah yes, the oh so fashionable eau de armpit sweat. Everyone in France is wearing it! Sacre bleu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeb144 View Post
I LOVE your pictures. It looks amazing!
We ain't done yet! Gots lots more pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeb144 View Post
I was available to accompany you and your lovely family. No, I don't know Paris, but is that really necessary?
I know you were! Didn't you see us waving frantically? "C'mon! Just look over here! We've got an extra ticket for you! Over here!...... Oh, shoot, too late. Well maybe next time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Awesome chapter! Glad you made ok. Love the place you stayed in.
I really can't say enough about it. I was really pleased.

Not only that.... REAL LIFE UPDATE!

Kay bought an Eiffel Tower souvenir in Paris, then left it in the room. I always do a final sweep of the room, but somehow she had knocked it off the shelf she had put it on into a trash can. When we got back to Canada, I emailed the owners and they found it and Fedexed it out to us and refused compensation!

Quote:
I don't want to bore you me my Paris experience, Honeymoon with MIL along, we never did get to see the Eiffel tower..........
All right!! You were so <ahem> "busy" <ahem> on your honeymoon that you didn't even see the Eiffel Tower! Way to... uh... Did you say your MIL was along with you?

You have GOT to share that story!

Quote:
Honeymoon with you MIL in Paris??!?!?!?!!? Oh my.

Jill in CO
See? Jill wants to know the backstory too.

Quote:
He did great on the tests last week, a 100 on the history, 97 on math, and a 110 on spelling.
Wait.... Is this the new math they're teaching these days? He not only spelled the words 100% correctly, but he embellished and the teacher felt he needed an extra 10%?

Quote:
There is a new wrinkle though
You could try steam... or an iron.

Quote:
apply - like 'apple' with a y and not an e
occupy - like you're angry at a pie - "Och! You pie!" with a y and not an ie
citizen - like city with a y and not an i is so zen
relieve - remember i before e except after c

(just don't tell him about beige, codeine, conscience, deify, deity, deign,
dreidel, eider, eight, either, feign, feint, feisty, foreign, forfeit, freight, heifer, heigh-ho, height, heinous, heir, heist, leitmotiv, neigh, neighbor, neither, peignoir, prescient, rein, science, seine, seismic, seize, sheik, society, sovereign, surfeit, veil, vein, weight, weir or weird )

Quote:
I second Jill Marita!! Honeymoon with your MIL? There wouldn't have been enough wine in Paris to get me through that experience!
Another vote to hear the story.

Quote:
Rob and Laura Petrie took a 2nd honeymoon in a room without air conditioning... it didn't go well.

for that matter, nebo and smidgy (well, nebo) bought a townhouse without air conditioning. ... the jury is still out.
You want a/c? Just lock him upstairs for a few hours... or days.
Fringe benefit, we'll get another chapter out of him!

Quote:
all I can picture is the scene from National Lampoon's European vacation, and the couple renting out rooms.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VA9p8rgsoM
Nah. Too slovenly for the haute couture Parisian and far too polite.

Actually, most Parisians I met were friendly

Quote:
sorry, just joking.. I'm sure it was very nice.
Hah! Conscience (see list above) got the better of you, huh?

Quote:
riding a subway system in a huge foreign city sounds scary to me. what ? no purple signs or ME buses? no friendship boats? lol
Well, there was a purple line, does that count?
It really was easy to get around.

Quote:
Wow, what a terrific chapter Pkondz!

I feel like I am experiencing the sights of Paris with you. I love your lodging!
Thanks DeeDee! That's nice of you to say.

We really liked the lodging, too. But it wasn't Kay's favorite (that's later on) or, possibly, maybe... mine (that's later still).

Quote:
And I'm with Ruby on the mime thing.
A long, looooong time ago, I was fortunate enough to see Marcel Marceau perform (on TV). He was truly an amazing artist. Maybe that's why I don't have the healthy disdain for mimes most normal people have.

Quote:
I feel your pain on the tired, bleary first day of your trip. I remember that no-sleep from our trip and I am hard pressed to remember much of the first day.
It's not the first time... and it seems to get tougher every time I do it.

Quote:
The entire chapter was well written, sorry you has to write it twice, but the content and pictures are worth the effort you made for your readers.
Thanks Buzz. Not a big deal, really. Oh, sure, the first one was absolutely fantastic... Pulitzer prize worthy... probably a Nobel prize too... and it probably would have been picked up and adapted for the silver screen where it would have won copious amounts of Oscars... but oh, well. You win some, you lose some, right?

Although I'm kinda hoping to lose less...

Quote:
Trust me, you have me hooked!

WHAT???? Oh! I had you hooked.

never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Thanks for the new chapter!! I was really worried you were going to leave us circling over the Atlantic forever.
Nah. Eventually you run out of fuel and plummet into the ocean. Unless of course you're flying Air Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
This is really bringing back such great memories of our trips to Paris. I loved using the Metro- it just made getting around so easy. But our first time was in a heat wave. I don't recall much in the way of A/C in the subway cars. So I did like the locals and bought a fan. Not the battery operated kind- the folding fabric kind that you whip out and flutter like mad. Worked like a charm. I've still got it up on the bookshelf.

Can't wait for the next installment!
That's the kind of souvenir that I like. Way to go for aclimatizing yourself with both the temperature and the culture!

Quote:
And let me go ahead and give you guys a heads up, during the final week of spelling words in this school year two of the words will be pneumatic and penitentiary. Wow!
While penitentiary isn't too bad (pen + i + tent + i + ary as in Gary), pneumatic is a tough one.

Quote:
I apply responsible citizen(ship) when I relieve myself by occupying the toilet

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #205
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
All right!! You were so <ahem> "busy" <ahem> on your honeymoon that you didn't even see the Eiffel Tower! Way to... uh... Did you say your MIL was along with you?

You have GOT to share that story
No, Ponzi, we were NOT <ahem> too busy

Hubby was stationed in Germany in the Army. We decided to get married before he got shipped back home. So, MIL came over from the US for the wedding. This was in 1970. So of course, this was a long and expensive trip for MIL to make just for the wedding, and we couldn't just send her back or dump her with my parents.

So the decision was made she would go on our honeymoon with us.
We drove to Amsterdam, Brussels and then Paris. Notre Dame and the Seine and artists and Champs Elysee and such. We tried to see the Louvre, but it was Tuesday and it was closed. I could have sworn it was in a department store right next to it and we walked all around in it (give me a break, I was 18!). Anyway, the Louvre was closed that day.

We tried to go to dinner. Got seated in a restaurant, but my stomach at the time was such that I couldn't eat a thing. Hubby and MIL tried to order, but since I didn't want anything, we were asked to leave, because they had lots of people waiting for tables. Not a pleasant experience! We bought bread and wine that night instead. Anyway, we looked around, but never found the Eiffel tower, and really, my nerves were done by then.

Drove back home, picked up my mom and went on the second leg of the honeymoon with BOTH mothers! That went much better, they kept each other company, my mom with broken English and his mom with no German, but much better. We went down to Bavaria and saw castles, Neu Schwanstein and others.

So that's the story. Two MIL's really on the honeymoon.

PS: If you want a real thrill ride, try driving in Paris, especially the round-abouts!

Last edited by Backstage_Gal; 09-11-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Backstage_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #206
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:

No, Ponzi, we were NOT <ahem> to busy
Hubby was stationed in Germany in the Army. We decided to get married before he got shipped back home. So, MIL came over from the US for the wedding. This was in 1970. So of course, this was a long and expensive trip for MIL to make just for the wedding, and we couldn't just send her back or dump her with my parents.
We drove to Amsterdam, Brussels and then Paris. Notre Dame and the Seine and artists and Champs Elysee and such. We tried to see the Louvre, but it was Tuesday and it was closed. I could have sworn it was in a department store right next to it and we walked all around in it (give me a break, I was 18!). Anyway, the Louvre was closed that day.
We tried to go to dinner. Got seated in a restaurant, but my stomach at the time was such that I couldn't eat a thing. Hubby and MIL tried to order, but since I didn't want anything, we were asked to leave, because they had lots of people waiting for tables. Not a pleasant experience! We bought bread and wine that night instead. Anyway, we looked around, but never found the Eiffel tower, and really, my nerves were done by then.
Drove back home, picked up my mom and went on the second leg of the honeymoon with BOTH mothers! That went much better, they kept each other company, my mom with broken English and his mom with no German, but much better. We went down to Bavaria and saw castles, Neu Schwanstein and others.

PS: If you want a real thrill ride, try driving in Paris, especially the round-abouts!
You are REALLY due a second honeymoon/do-over!

Driving in Paris is fun! NOT! I parked and took the Metro the rest of the weekend.

Jill in CO
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #207
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

I'll see if I can comment a little more later. Work has been a little busy and the monitor at home decided it wanted to give out. Waiting for the new one to be delivered.

Quick observation though. Is it just me or do those big round pastries on the top shelf (with the holes in the middle) look like a pig snout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #208
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh no...I always thought I had a horrible honeymoon story but I think that beat me.

My Ex-Husband and I were living in South Dakota and were getting married in Maine (at my Mom's house). We flew into NY and then made our way up to ME. His Aunt flew in for the wedding from Chile and we met her on the way to ME. She was very vague about how long she would be in the country.

The Wedding week went great and I was getting ready to go back to South Dakota the day after the wedding and I thought she was going back to Chile but my Ex announced that she was going to come back with us to South Dakota. We were flying out of NY and she would follow behind us taking the bus.

We weren't going to have a real honeymoon until November (this was June) and I had viewed our overnight in NYC as a mini-honeymoon that I had really been looking forward to. We had a great afternoon seeing the sights and having a great meal.

It went great until about midnight when his Aunt called him hysterical on the phone that she had missed her connection in NYC and didn't know what to do. She only spoke Spanish and claimed that she couldn't find anyone to talk to (highely unlikely in NYC). We had to go get her at the train station in the middle of the night.

By the time we found her she refused to ride the bus alone and my Ex and she decided that he would take the bus back with her the rest of the way while I flew back.

I spent that night sleeping in my honeymoon bed with his Aunt while he slept on the floor. To say I was miserable was putting it lightly. When I flew out that morning I didn't see them again for another 3 days.

The icing on the cake is that our laptop was stolen on the bus ride when my Ex had taken a nap on the bus.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #209
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

In response to most of this chapter the best I"m able to do is "Cool!" or "Wow!" so I'll spare you from having to find many clever ways to respond to that

Hats off to you as parents for not losing your cool when you discovered DD's footwear! Is that the famous Canadian mild-manneredness coming out or is it that as parents of teen girls you know there are many more important things to get angry about??

All in all it sounds like a great time touring Paris. I'm insanely jealous of course.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #210
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Oh... You wern't too busy. Just regular busy. Gotcha.

Quote:
So of course, this was a long and expensive trip for MIL to make just for the wedding,
I'm sure, by today's standards, it probably cost quite a bit more then we paid... plus, I think people either have more disposible cash (not) or more room on the credit card (or even have a credit card!)

Quote:
and we couldn't just send her back or dump her with my parents.
Sure you could've. You were far too nice. There are times, I think, when being selfish is justified.

Quote:
That's okay. We didn't go in it either. You'd need a week (at least) to see even some of the Louvre.

Quote:
We tried to go to dinner. Got seated in a restaurant, but my stomach at the time was such that I couldn't eat a thing. Hubby and MIL tried to order, but since I didn't want anything, we were asked to leave, because they had lots of people waiting for tables. Not a pleasant experience!
Ah, yes. The classic pleasant french waiter! We were either lucky, or things have changed. I think all our wait staff were nice.

Quote:
We bought bread and wine that night instead. Anyway, we looked around, but never found the Eiffel tower, and really, my nerves were done by then.
Never. Found. The Eiffel Tower.......

Did you look up??

Apparently, when it was first built, a well known writer ate lunch in the tower everyday.

Because he hated it.

It was the only place in Paris where he could eat without seeing it.

Quote:
Drove back home, picked up my mom and went on the second leg of the honeymoon with BOTH mothers!
Well, of course you did. If you're going to wreck a honeymoon, by all means, go all out!

Thanks for sharing the story!

Quote:
With the metro, I never saw a need to have a car in Paris... Still don't. But if we were staying there longer, I might have.

Quote:
Driving in Paris is fun! NOT! I parked and took the Metro the rest of the weekend.

Jill in CO
Coward! What's a little fender bender with people screaming at you in a language you can't understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
I'll see if I can comment a little more later. Work has been a little busy and the monitor at home decided it wanted to give out. Waiting for the new one to be delivered.
It wanted to give out? Just what did you do to the poor thing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Quick observation though. Is it just me or do those big round pastries on the top shelf (with the holes in the middle) look like a pig snout?
I must say, that at the time, I never noticed. But when I posted the picture, I noticed that right away. I wish I would've noticed it in Paris, I would've asked what they were called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
Oh no...I always thought I had a horrible honeymoon story but I think that beat me.
Don't sell yourself short!

Quote:
She was very vague about how long she would be in the country.
Okay... That right there is never a good sign.

Quote:
I was getting ready to go back to South Dakota the day after the wedding and I thought she was going back to Chile but my Ex announced that she was going to come back with us to South Dakota.
Just out of curiousity... Did you happen to say, oh, I don't know... Something like, "SHE'S DOING WHAT?!?!?!?"

Quote:
It went great until about midnight when his Aunt called him hysterical on the phone that she had missed her connection in NYC and didn't know what to do. She only spoke Spanish and claimed that she couldn't find anyone to talk to (highely unlikely in NYC).
That makes sense. 'Cause nobody speaks Spanish in the States, right?

Right?

hello?

<cricket> <cricket>

Quote:
By the time we found her she refused to ride the bus alone and my Ex and she decided that he would take the bus back with her the rest of the way while I flew back.
Hmmmmm..... That sounded like you had no say in the matter?

Quote:
I spent that night sleeping in my honeymoon bed with his Aunt while he slept on the floor.
Well at least that's normal, right? I mean pretty much everybody spends their wedding night sharing a bed with their spouse's relative, right?

No?

Quote:
To say I was miserable was putting it lightly. When I flew out that morning I didn't see them again for another 3 days.
Wow.

Just. Wow.

Quote:
The icing on the cake is that our laptop was stolen on the bus ride when my Ex had taken a nap on the bus.
Well, of course it was.

That's, that's.... quite the tale! Thanks for sharing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
In response to most of this chapter the best I"m able to do is "Cool!" or "Wow!" so I'll spare you from having to find many clever ways to respond to that
You forgot "oohs" and "ahs"... But I'll let it go this time, Shanelopia.

Quote:
Hats off to you as parents for not losing your cool when you discovered DD's footwear! Is that the famous Canadian mild-manneredness coming out or is it that as parents of teen girls you know there are many more important things to get angry about??
Neither. It's us being exasperated to the point of speechlessness.

speechlessness...

double 'e', double 's', double 's'

It's right.... but it doesn't look like it should be.

We were exasperated to the point of being speechless.

hmmmmm..... better.... still lots of double letters, though....

We were exasperated so much, we couldn't speak.

Wait! It's Speak but not speek? And Speech and not speach?

Unless you're in Georgia, of course...

"Wha's'at?"
"S'at? S'peach."
"Oh. S'not an apple?"
"No. S'a peach."

um.

what were we talking about?

Quote:
All in all it sounds like a great time touring Paris. I'm insanely jealous of course.
Good. My evil plan is working.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: