Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Mshheaddoc
Earning My Ears

POLY vs WL for family with young children (construction)

First week of December, looking to go with 4 year old (autistic), 2 year old, and 3 month old, we will be driving down. Booked Poly for ease of transportation getting around since TTC is right there, plus most time will be spent at MK (2 days+) of our 6 nights. But with construction, I'm concerned that maybe WL might be the better way to go with our midday naps, MK access and christmas decorations. But the price I got at POLY is a good $200 cheaper right now via travelocity. Had been looking forward to Sunset point and the fireworks from the beach but these are all things that can be flexible about.

It's going to be a challenge already with our 3 kids and our son who is a bolter but we are excited to at least try. Looking for any and all advice.

Last edited by Mshheaddoc; 08-22-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Mshheaddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshheaddoc View Post
First week of December, looking to go with 4 year old (autistic), 2 year old, and 3 month old, we will be driving down. Booked Poly for ease of transportation getting around since TTC is right there, plus most time will be spent at MK (2 days+) of our 6 nights. But with construction, I'm concerned that maybe WL might be the better way to go with our midday naps, MK access and christmas decorations. But the price I got at POLY is a good $200 cheaper right now via travelocity. Had been looking forward to Sunset point and the fireworks from the beach but these are all things that can be flexible about.

It's going to be a challenge already with our 3 kids and our son who is a bolter but we are excited to at least try. Looking for any and all advice.
It has been mentioned that construction walls are to start going up the beginning of September, but it's hard to tell where construction will be in December. As far as decorations, WL is our favorite during the holidays as the lobby/resort is so beautifully decorated and has such a cozy feeling the minute you walk in . On the other hand, the Poly is an amazing resort and I think you would love it with or without construction. With that said, if construction is a concern, I would probably go with the WL. The Poly rooms are much larger than at the WL, but with the ages of your kids, I think the WL rooms will be just fine. In all honesty, you really can't go wrong with either one as they are both great places to stay .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Mshheaddoc
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the response! What's the difference in getting around to the other parks? This is one of the most stressful issues we will deal with this trip. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
smiths02
DIS Veteran

How is Poly cheaper than WL? Are you comparing the same types of room or is WL booked up for some discount?
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the response! What's the difference in getting around to the other parks? This is one of the most stressful issues we will deal with this trip. Thanks!
You're welcome . We have found the WL transportation to be great. We love taking the boat to MK, but have always found the buses to be very quick and efficient. The Poly, of course, has the monorail to MK and is just a 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail, but we didn't find the buses to be bad from there either. With that said, I think both resorts have good transportation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
How is Poly cheaper than WL? Are you comparing the same types of room or is WL booked up for some discount?
Sometimes Travelocity and other sites have discounts on their already discounted rates for certain resorts. The OP is probably finding the Poly to be cheaper than the WL due to one of these deals .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Mshheaddoc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
You're welcome . We have found the WL transportation to be great. We love taking the boat to MK, but have always found the buses to be very quick and efficient. The Poly, of course, has the monorail to MK and is just a 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail, but we didn't find the buses to be bad from there either. With that said, I think both resorts have good transportation .
great, thanks. I'm just wondering w stroller and all the monorail might be a touch easier for us. I really appreciate your insight as well as others who might have input.

Quote:
Sometimes Travelocity and other sites have discounts on their already discounted rates for certain resorts. The OP is probably finding the Poly to be cheaper than the WL due to one of these deals .
Exactly, I was so excited to find this poly deal only to now second guess myself!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
great, thanks. I'm just wondering w stroller and all the monorail might be a touch easier for us. I really appreciate your insight as well as others who might have input.
Glad I could help . I am giving our experience only as I'm sure others have experienced something different, but we had very good transportation experiences at both resorts.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I love the WL and we will be going there the first week of December. It is supposed to look great with its Christmas decorations. But to be honest, you may want to stick with the Poly. The rooms are much bigger. You will really appreciate the larger size when you are trying to store the stroller. You'll get a daybed in the Poly room, but not in the WL. We were at the WL with our two grandchildren, age 3 and 5, and kids come with a lot of "stuff". The room was large enough for two kids, but adding another, with a crib, would be a little more crowded.

The WL is nice because everything is under one roof and it is a very compact resort, no separate long houses to walk to. But the Poly will have the monorail, which will be nice.

I'm not sure where the construction at the Poly is supposed to be, but I'm sure you could request a room far from the construction due to the age of your children. I would stick with the Poly.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Mshheaddoc
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the insight! I like hearing others experiences to figure out what might work.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
ninafeliz
Mouseketeer

Poly but both are great resorts

I love both the WL and the Poly. We got married at the WL and the theming is great - that lobby is breathtaking and I get chills just thinking about walking through it and listening to the music now. That being said, we stayed at the Poly last year for the first time and chose that again this year. We now have 2 children, a 3 yr old and a 5 month old, and my DH says he won't stay anywhere but on the monorail until they get older. He loves the Poly for many reasons, but the chief one is the ability to take our stroller directly on the monorail for both the MK and Epcot, by walking over to the TTC. No folding it up and lugging it onto a bus, at least for those 2 parks. In fact, we got to DHS by going to Epcot and then walking to the International gateway and over to DHS. If you actually got the Poly for less that the WL I would do that in a heartbeat. I am hoping that the construction doesn't interfere that much, we are going in October and have a LV. We did Poly LV CL and could have saved a lot of money by doing WL CL, but still opted for the Poly, construction and all, due to convenience with 2 little ones. Now when or if they get to closing the main pool and/or the GCH I would reconsider, and stay elsewhere. Then we would be torn betweent he WL or another monorail resort, as the other monorail resort themes just don't appeal to us but the convenience does. In our opinion the Poly just has a leg up on the rest due to the ability to take a direct monorail to 2 parks, and with little kids that trumps all else. Just my $0.02, and I do love the WL, particularly at Christmas, so you can't go wrong.
ninafeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Mshheaddoc
Earning My Ears

Thanks, that's the thought train I'm on with the ease of traveling with the stroller. Thanks so much for your input!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: