Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
amz3426
Earning My Ears

Please help me choose a Deluxe Resort for our Vacation

I won a trip to Disney World!!! We are so exicted, we just recieved our planning email from Disney and it looks like we get to choose our resort!!! We have to pick a number for the following resorts from 1-8, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort, Beach Club Resort, Boardwalk Resort, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Yacht Club Resort!

We are going in April and it will be my husband, my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old daughter. A nice pool area is important to us and being close to Magic Kingdom would be a plus since we will have a double stroller!

thank you for your help!!!
amz3426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Smile&Nod
Mouseketeer

With young children i would pick the monorail resorts first - #1 Polynesian, #2 Contemporary and #3 Grand Floridian - after that Wilderness Lodge because you can take a boat to MK ....
Smile&Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!! Since the trip is free and we don't have to worry about money, with your criteria I would probably choose either GF (although for me it seems to stuffy, but most people seem to love it!) or the Poly. They are both on the monorail and close to MK and have very nice pools. The Contemporary, while the theme doesn't really appeal to me, has a nice 5 minute walk to MK so that's definitely a plus. After that, I would probably say Beach Club/Yacht Club or Boardwalk. Even though you are farther from MK, you can walk to both Epcot and the Studios, which is fantastic. BC has the nicest pool on property, IMHO, but might be too big for you with the ages of your girls! I would place Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge last, simply because they don't have the same transportation options as the others. Again, congratulations and have a fantastic time planning your trip!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

I would choose the most expensive resort to get the most for your money. I would choose the Contemporary. It has really nice rooms with a awesome view anyway you look at it. The pool is so not crowded and the slide is great! I love it!

If you don't like it, I would also choose the Poly. It's warm and comforting. It's a really crowded in the pools but the view of MK is breathtaking! The rooms are cute too!

Congratz and have a great trip!

Katie
Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
LiveToTravelNicely
Strolling the Boardwalk: January 2014!

CONGRATS! HOW EXCITING! Given everything you said, I would prioritize the Monorail Resorts first, then Wilderness lodge, then the Epcot resorts, and last Animal Kingdom. With a stroller, I think the monorail and friendship boats are easier than the busses for transportation. Since you want to be near the Magic Kingdom, the three monorail resorts get priority over Wilderness Lodge because they are on the Monorail (that location in itself is invaluable---I've stayed at and away from the Monorail. It is definitely a time saver) Again, since you want to be near MK, Wilderness would get priority for me over Epcot resorts. However, the MK is only a walk through Epcot and monorail from there to MK or you can take the bus. The Epcot resorts also have friendship boat or walking access to Hollywood Studios. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a really cool theme, but farthest away from Magic Kingdom. For the Magic Kingdom monorail resorts, I would look at the pictures and order your priority from there. I will say that the Poly has no bad views (IMHO) due to all the lush landscaping, but there is going to be some construction at the Poly starting soon (see the Poly and Poly construction threads). I've read that the GF also doesn't have bad standard views. Some of the CR standard rooms in the garden wing have views of the parking lot. I point that out because I'm assuming you'll get a standard room since it was a prize (unless the prize specified a nice upgraded room). Have a grea trip!

2014: EP Area- BWI-CL Standard
2012: AK Area- CSR-Casita #1
2011: MK Area- Poly-Garden View-Tokelau

LiveToTravelNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amz3426 View Post
I won a trip to Disney World!!! We are so exicted, we just recieved our planning email from Disney and it looks like we get to choose our resort!!! We have to pick a number for the following resorts from 1-8, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort, Beach Club Resort, Boardwalk Resort, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Yacht Club Resort!

We are going in April and it will be my husband, my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old daughter. A nice pool area is important to us and being close to Magic Kingdom would be a plus since we will have a double stroller!

thank you for your help!!!
I agree with the others and go for a monorail resort because of the double stroller. The CR would be the easiest one to stay at because you can walk into MK from there. But any of the three resorts would be nice. It mostly depends on which themes you like best. Check out the resorts and see which ones appeal to you.

I would vote 1,2,3 for Contemporary, Grand Floridian and Poly, in whatever order you prefer. The GF is the most luxurious, the Poly has a great tropical theme, and the CR has ease of access.

Then I would vote
4 - WL
5 - BC
6 - YC
7 - BW
8 - AK

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Congrats!! That's so awesome!!

I would choose either the Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Yacht Club or Polynesian. The Beach Club pool, Stormalong Bay, is the best in Disney, IMO. It's a very family friendly resort and you can walk or take the Friendship boats to HS and Epcot (if you have park hoppers you can also take the monorail to MK by cutting through Epcot.) The Grand Floridian would put you closest to MK.

Have fun choosing!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club, 10/14- Beach Club
Me (28) DH (28)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
amz3426
Earning My Ears

thank you for all your replys! Keep them coming!!! We are going to check out reviews (trip advisor) and pictures tonight!

I forgot to add according to the email we will have either a suite or villa!!!
amz3426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Herbie
DIS Veteran

My vote

1) Grand Floridian
2) Poly
3) Beach Club
4) Yacht Club
5) Contemporary
6) Animal Kingdom
7) Board Walk
8) WL ( not a true deluxe imo)

But seriously.....its free.. I would be happy anywhere!
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

YAY! How awesome. I agree with others and choose a monorail resort for easy transportation with little ones. If it were me, I would choose GF first, Poly second and CR third.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Great news!! I would definitely book a monorail resort. If the pool is important than I might be careful of the Poly next year - the pool may be closed. It is rumored to be closing sometime in Jan and may not be reopened in April.

I would tend to the Contemporary (first choice) or GF (second choice) due to possible construction at the Poly. If neither of those appeal to you the Wilderness Lodge is just a boat ride away and is amazing.

Congratulations!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

How fun! Since they are covering the cost we'd probably go with a monorail resort as well. Our order would be:

1. Contemporary
2. Grand Floridian
3. WL (We LOVE WL, and a suite there would be so cool)
4. Animal Kingdom (More remote, but beautiful and has Animals)
4. Poly (Not really our thing, and possible construction issues)
5. Beach Club (The Epcot area is nice, but better for older kids.)
6. Yacht Club
7. Boardwalk

But it is Disney and they are paying the bill, so you can't go wrong. Enjoy!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
pickers1982
Mouseketeer

Loved AK but it can take a long time to get anywhere
pickers1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
bek
Mouseketeer

1-Grand Floridian. The Courtyard Pool is zero entry and there's a cute splash/play area that's just right for young kids. Lots of eating options from casual to elegant. Monorail and boats to MK. I never thought I'd like GF but my DIL requested it and I loved it -- very laid-back and elegant at the same time.
2-Contemporary. If the monorail has problems can walk to MK.
3-Polynesian -- if the construction is due to be finished before you arrive. Otherwise maybe not.

Then it's tough. Epcot resorts share buses to the MK. Yes you can boat/walk through Epcot for the monorail but it's lots of travel time.

Wilderness Lodge has Ft. Wilderness nearby with lots of kid-friendly activities and the boat to MK. A good quick service and a fun kid-oriented table service.

I personally love the beauty of WL and would pick it above the Epcot resorts for kids your age. But the convenience of Epcot and Hollywood Studios to the Epcot resorts is wonderful. So I'd probably tie WL, BC, YC, BW.

Animal Kingdom Lodge has the Savannahs.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
1000HappyWishes
I know every mile will be my worth my while.

Contemporary or Poly.

WDW: 2001, 2003, 2013
Disneyland: 2007
Universal: 2013
1000HappyWishes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: