Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
Frank_Segers
Earning My Ears

Festival of the Lion King reopening

I have read that Festival of the Lion King is reopening on it's new location in the second half of this year. However, yesterday there was an audition call for male and female vocalists for this show. Audition takes place March 26th. Quote from the audition call: "We are especially seeking performers with a diverse look for full time and part time positions beginning in April 2014." With this timeline, wouldn't it make sense that the reopening of the show would be still this Summer?
Frank_Segers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Segers View Post
I have read that Festival of the Lion King is reopening on it's new location in the second half of this year. However, yesterday there was an audition call for male and female vocalists for this show. Audition takes place March 26th. Quote from the audition call: "We are especially seeking performers with a diverse look for full time and part time positions beginning in April 2014." With this timeline, wouldn't it make sense that the reopening of the show would be still this Summer?
I had heard a reopening in June or early July. How long do the performers need to rehearse? It certainly sounds like they are on track for at least earlier in June, if not late May.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom View Post
I had heard a reopening in June or early July. How long do the performers need to rehearse? It certainly sounds like they are on track for at least earlier in June, if not late May.
they are on track for June

[/url]
rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Pluto42
Earning My Ears

I think it is supposed to reopen sometime before or during summer. I can't wait until it is open again. Does anybody know if they are planning on changing anything?
Pluto42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto42 View Post
I think it is supposed to reopen sometime before or during summer. I can't wait until it is open again. Does anybody know if they are planning on changing anything?
well the actors will be new unless they reauditioned and got the job again. The set up is petty much the same also the stage seems like it will be different based on aerial images

[/url]
rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
cagirl4life
with just a little bit of pixie dust.... you can FLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom View Post
To train a whole new cast on that show 2 months seem about right. Even if the previous cast members re-audition a large number of the cast will be new and with new stage some entries and choreography will have to change. If you have a couple new performers they can usually blend in with the vets but with that many new it will take a little more practice.

DL: to many times to count
WDW: July 1998 (Off Site); February 2006 (CBR); April 2006 (AS Sports); February 2007 (ASM); February 2008 (ASM); April 2008 (CBR); June 2008 (SSR); January 2010 (AS Sports)
cagirl4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
TheSweetestThing
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
well the actors will be new unless they reauditioned and got the job again. The set up is petty much the same also the stage seems like it will be different based on aerial images
My sister is a camp counselor there. They only auditioned for one singer cast since they offered contracts to some of the cast members before the show closed. The non equity performers (dancers, stilts and puppeteers) are all coming back as well. She doesn't know if there are any changes to the show. She doesn't think so since the theater and the floats are all going to be the same.
TheSweetestThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetestThing View Post
My sister is a camp counselor there. They only auditioned for one singer cast since they offered contracts to some of the cast members before the show closed. The non equity performers (dancers, stilts and puppeteers) are all coming back as well. She doesn't know if there are any changes to the show. She doesn't think so since the theater and the floats are all going to be the same.
As long as they keep the Tumble Monkeys!! :D

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
As long as they keep the Tumble Monkeys!! :D
One time while at the show we sat next to gentleman whose son was a Tumble Monkey. They were originally from Cuba where his son was on the Cuban gymnastics squad. Then they left and immigrated to the US.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
rpk1951
Mouseketeer

june works for me. We arive in Oct. Should definitely be open by then
rpk1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
katt789
DIS Veteran

The cast will be a mix of new & returning cast members . However ,. ALL the cm's had to "re-audition" Friends of mine who have been in the show for years are having to but a bid in to be retrained on the show.

Ive heard that some aspects of the show will be different, spacing, choreo & more will have to be reworked, but they are keeping it similar.

Id say it'd be open by mid June with the level of rehearsals they have to do. All the performers (stilts & movers) have to be trained & then approved on their roles before opening day, and they'll need 2-3 full, separate casts for opening day.
katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
CT_Bev&Jeff
Mouseketeer

I know I am late to the show here, but does anyone know where the Updated show will be? We will not arrive til Feb 2015, but I am demented and the need to know is overwhelming with almost everything Disney.

Sad but true.

CT_Jeff
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #13
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Bev&Jeff View Post
I know I am late to the show here, but does anyone know where the Updated show will be? We will not arrive til Feb 2015, but I am demented and the need to know is overwhelming with almost everything Disney.

Sad but true.

CT_Jeff
A new theatre is being built in the Africa section of the park by Tusker House. As for whether this show will actually be "updated", that has yet to be seen.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Mitzicat
Mouseketeer

You can have the tumble monkeys...just giving me that fire dancer! Phew...I always need a cold shower afterwards and not because of the Florida heat in June/July/August! Hmm...maybe I shoud have an open casting call for a fire dancer at my house....
Mitzicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
TheSweetestThing
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
The cast will be a mix of new & returning cast members . However ,. ALL the cm's had to "re-audition" Friends of mine who have been in the show for years are having to but a bid in to be retrained on the show.

Ive heard that some aspects of the show will be different, spacing, choreo & more will have to be reworked, but they are keeping it similar.

Id say it'd be open by mid June with the level of rehearsals they have to do. All the performers (stilts & movers) have to be trained & then approved on their roles before opening day, and they'll need 2-3 full, separate casts for opening day.
The Equity cast simply were called in for a meeting. They offered contracts to those they wanted to return without having them audition. I know one if the stilt walkers who said he has already been cast and didn't audition. I'm thinking auditions were to find new members to mix in.
TheSweetestThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: