Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Robertavz
Roberta

Food and Wine Newbie

This is my first food and wine festival coming up. Hubby surprised me and we are SO excited.

Decided we want to have plenty of time to do our normal Disney favorites and also experience the f and w wonderfulness, so didn't call to do any special events or demos. I'm sure we will be hooked though and hopefully get to do those another year. I saw somewhere that they have book signings and its a good idea to buy the book ahead of time? Is there a schedule already or coming of people who will be there to sign?

Is there anything else we should know or for sure do? Don't want to miss anything that is amazing. thank you!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
DEA
DIS Veteran

If you need to hit all your Disney favorites, the F&W Festival is quite time-consuming on its own. If you are going to do non-F&W stuff, I would highly suggest you plan those activities for the weekend, when F&W (and Epcot) tends to be especially crowded.

I'd suggest trying to fit in at least one cooking demo/cheese seminar/mixology seminar/beverage seminar while you're there. They can be really fun, are at least somewhat educational, and you get to try some of what they demonstrate, which is tasty. Also, the Disney Dessert Discovery is a way to indulge your sweet tooth with all-you-care-to-eat desserts, along with wine and cordials, and a reserved spot for Illuminations.

Enjoy your first F&W, and I hope you get many more.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

F&W is a lot of fun and as the PP suggested, it's fun to go to at least one demo. I like the culinary demos. The celebrity chefs will often sell out far in advance, but some of the in-house (WDW) chef demos may be available day of. You can check online or at the Festival Center (Wonders of Life pavilion) to see what's available.

For the book signing, I think you can pre-purchase the book elsewhere and bring it to be signed. At least that's what folks reported at last year's festival. I usually buy my book there because I don't want to haul it from home on the airplane.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
photofreak
Camping & Disney!! The 2 best things together in one!!

This is our third year and we love it! Avoid the weekends, it is crazy busy and there tend to be many many over indulged patrons. Lol
Jan/Feb 2010 Fort Wilderness Big Bear Path 1400 loop
Oct/Nov 2011 Fort Wilderness Palmetto Path 200 loop (took our besties for their 1st trip )
Oct/Nov 2012 Fort Wilderness Buffalo Bend 500 loop

Looking forward to 2013 Halloween at the Fort!!!
photofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Robertavz
Roberta

ok. So now you have me thinking I need to try to get in to at least one demonstration...

Are the book signings usually the people there already doing the demonstrations or is this totally different? Does it come out ahead of time who will be there signing?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertavz View Post
ok. So now you have me thinking I need to try to get in to at least one demonstration...

Are the book signings usually the people there already doing the demonstrations or is this totally different? Does it come out ahead of time who will be there signing?
Often times the chefs doing the demos will also have a book signing. It really depends on whether the chef has a book or not. Last year, Kevin Dundon had his demo and then the book signing afterwards. Some the chefs will also be nice enough to sign things after their demo (if time permits); I've gotten the recipe card signed at the demos I've gone to.

For the book signing, the schedule will come out eventually, but I haven't seen it yet (the culinary, mixology, and beverage schedules have been announced). If you see a celebrity chef that you're interested in listed for the culinary demo it's a good bet that the book signing will be sometime that same weekend.

See the first post in the F&W super thread for links to the seminar schedules.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110971
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofreak View Post
This is our third year and we love it! Avoid the weekends, it is crazy busy and there tend to be many many over indulged patrons. Lol
Ditto!

I'll also add to use a prepaid F&W or Disney gift card of some sort. The first time I went to F&W I paid at each kiosk and was constantly juggling food, wallet, change and holding up the line. Lesson learned!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
KYDisneyDad
Mouseketeer

You can check the Disney Food blog for menu selections at all the booths to get an idea which booths will have things you'll not want to miss!
KYDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Will your children be with you or is this a parents only trip? The culinary demos last about 45 minutes. We've seen a few children, but not too many. Some were interested, but many looked bored. Also, they do charge for everyone who attends. If you're just curious you can watch from outside the demo area. The celebrity chefs always have a large SRO crowd watching from outside.

For the book signings they hand out wristbands for the celebrity chefs/authors on a first come first serve basis at the Welcome Center starting at 9:00. Those with wristbands are guaranteed that their book will be signed. There will also be a standby line for those who do not get wristbands.

I don't think the daily schedule has been released yet. However, the celebrity chefs for the more expensive events have been announced so if they're also doing demos or book signings it's usually within a day or two or the same weekend.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: