Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
PPFDDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Magical Express Question

OK folks, I have another ME question. 1 person in our party is coming in later than the rest of us. We have ressies at HDDR the first night. We are also meeting a few friends that live down there for the dinner. My question is this: Can someone fly in to MCO and get picked up by a friend, but still have their luggage delivered by ME to the room? Her flight in is cutting it close to our dinner ressies. Thanks for the feedback!

PPFDDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

From my knowledge no. You have you use the magical express in order to use the luggage transfer.
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom
From my knowledge no. You have you use the magical express in order to use the luggage transfer.
This.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
PPFDDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

OK Thanks for the help

PPFDDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Is the other party "booked" on the magical express? My understanding is if you are booked on the magical express, your luggage is tagged and it is sent to Disneyworld, but clearly not on the same bus as you. I suspect, but never asked, that they either use a truck or other means to get the luggage on the magical express.

I've ridden only one way on the magical express myself and had no problem at all with my luggage showing up in my room when I got back from the parks.

Tom
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

As long as someone on the room reservation uses Magical Express I think you are OK.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Kimberle
WL Vet

There is a sticky thread on the transportation board which explains the policy.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
Is the other party "booked" on the magical express? My understanding is if you are booked on the magical express, your luggage is tagged and it is sent to Disneyworld, but clearly not on the same bus as you. I suspect, but never asked, that they either use a truck or other means to get the luggage on the magical express.

I've ridden only one way on the magical express myself and had no problem at all with my luggage showing up in my room when I got back from the parks.

Tom
They will not transfer luggage without a physical person on the bus. Since this person is coming at a separate time I don't believe the other people using the bus service would count for luggage transfers.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
mb187143
DIS Veteran

OP, check out the sticky on the transportation board for more information about this.

mb187143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
hill6
DIS Veteran

I have sent my luggage without taking the bus. We intended to take the bus and someone rented a car the last minute and we took that instead.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
They will not transfer luggage without a physical person on the bus. Since this person is coming at a separate time I don't believe the other people using the bus service would count for luggage transfers.
I must be magically lucky then, because they did for me, on two different trips in 2012.

Tom
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I must be magically lucky then, because they did for me, on two different trips in 2012.

Tom
Ok then, let me rephrase Here is the first post from the sticky about this topic on the transportation board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Okay...here's the deal. We get a ton of posts regarding this issue. If a guest calls Disney and asks if they can tag their bags but not ride the bus, Disney will tell them no, someone has to ride the bus. That is Disney's official stand if a guest calls and asks about it.
In all reality, if a guest tags their checked bags, but does not ride the DME bus to the resort, their bags will, in all probability, still get to their resort. Disney has a contract with MCO that states all DME tagged bags will be transported to WDW resorts.

Now....the only issue you may run into is this....
You tagged 3 bags. You get to your resort, using a towncar or rental car. You do not checkin at the DME welcome counter. You get to your resort, get checked in, and then head off to a park. You return to your room, many hours later, assuming your bags will be there, waiting, in your room. But, you find only 2 bags in your room! So, you call Bell Services and start the search. The airlines have a window in which you should be submitting a claim for missing/misdirected bags....this window may have passed by the time you realize you have missing bags. Of course, WDW/DME may have just sent your missing bag to the wrong resort.

So...long story short....Disney tells you that you have to ride the bus to get your luggage delivered. Disney will move all yellow, DME tagged bags, from MCO to WDW resorts...whether or not you are on a DME bus.

As long as you are aware of what 'could' happen, do what you wish. We have not seen reports of missing baggage here. It just doesn't happen very often...at least we aren't hearing of it happening.

There is no need for debate...this is how it works, plain and simple.
And here is Disney's policy which is printed on their website and the booklet you receive with DME tags:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
However, Disney also states that Magical Express baggage transfers are only for Magical Express passengers. Here's what Disney's current policy is regarding DME luggage delivery without riding on the DME motorcoach on Disney's official "Complimentary Airport Transportation Service - Disney's Magical Express Transportation" page:
Please note that you cannot reserve the luggage service exclusively. You must be present on the motorcoach to have your luggage transported to a Walt Disney World hotel.
Since Disney's policy is that they will not transfer bags without someone on the bus, doing so can (and has) created problems in the process. At that point since you haven't followed the policies in using DME, you're basically SOL if something were to happen with your bags.

OP, if you'd like to do it you're welcome to give it a try. It will probably be fine, but there's no guarantee. If something were to happen with your bags it won't really matter to you how many people managed to get away with it.

Last edited by aaarcher86; 08-22-2013 at 11:58 AM.
aaarcher86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Bree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFDDisneyLover View Post
OK folks, I have another ME question. 1 person in our party is coming in later than the rest of us. We have ressies at HDDR the first night. We are also meeting a few friends that live down there for the dinner. My question is this: Can someone fly in to MCO and get picked up by a friend, but still have their luggage delivered by ME to the room? Her flight in is cutting it close to our dinner ressies. Thanks for the feedback!
Can't the friend picking up the person at the airport just keep the luggage in the car then drop the person off at the resort after dinner?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the copy and paste of info!!! It's still accurate.
No, you can not 'reserve luggage only transfer' according to Disney. But that doesn't mean that you can't tag your bags and they won't get to your room. Many people do exactly this...with no problems at all.
Just be aware of the issues that 'could' happen. If a bag is lost, usually by the airline, DME won't know to start looking for that bag, so it will go undetected until you get to your room later on. But that just doesn't happen very often.

I believe the issue here is that the OP has someone coming in that doesn't want to take the time to go to baggage claim to get their bags, but is getting picked up by a friend. So, they want to tag the bags and let DME take care of the bags while they go off, in a car, to get to HDDR more quickly. That should work with no issues. Just be aware of the issues that could crop up.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

To be on the safe side, could she simply pack a carry-on bag?
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: