Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
mrsmouse1960
Earning My Ears

No negative from this DVCer. We bought into DVC for the convenience to MK, the modern atmosphere, the convenience of the monorail, and the fact that the theming did not go overboard. We love Disney, but everyone needs a break and BLT allows that. You are right in the middle of everything, but not inundated with the decor. We typically stay in a 2-BR villa which has lots of room for the 6 of us (2 being kids under 5). We have stayed in the studio with a 4 year old and 2 adults. Seemed a little small, but we were used to the villa. Every time I suggest trying another DVC resort, my husband asks 'Why?' since he likes it so much. Catching the boat over to Hoop-De-Doo is convenient as well. It's our #1 place to stay!
mrsmouse1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
TerryGriffin
Mouseketeer

Aww thanks this is great info!

What floors have you guys stayed on?

For Ak and HS does the bus pick you up at BLT?

Is there a difference between BLT and the contemporary besides one room is in one part of the building, the other room is in the other part?
TerryGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGriffin View Post
Aww thanks this is great info!

What floors have you guys stayed on?

For Ak and HS does the bus pick you up at BLT?

Is there a difference between BLT and the contemporary besides one room is in one part of the building, the other room is in the other part?
No bues pick up at BLT. You need to go over to the Contemporary.

The full name for BLT is Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort. Just like the GF and Polynesian have several buildings, CR has two. BLT is all DVC villas. CR has no DVC villas.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed our stay at BLT!

We had a LV and I spent hours sitting on our balcony watching pool activity, boats go by and the Electric Water Parade. The Top of the World is a really nice lounge. It was great being able to walk to the MK. We were on the same floor as the bridge to the Contemporary so that was really handy. Parking was great and it was easy to find a spot. All the staff we encountered were pleasant. I don't feel like it lacked a theme, more that it was a sleek but I like that.

The only thing I did not like was the size of the studio room. I feel too much space is devoted to the pantry and not enough to the living space so it was tight, even for just 2 of us.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
TerryGriffin
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of your feedback! Keep it coming
TerryGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all of your feedback! Keep it coming
On the first page of this thread I gave you a link. It is really awesome. I actually memorized the room numbers so when I check in I know where I am

Not sure if you noticed as you scroll down there are room numbers with picture links. It really gives you a good idea what to expect.

If time, go look at 3 different rooms to see what I am saying. I think you'll be glad you did

Our family really loves this hotel!

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
YankeePrincess
I love Donald Duck

Why I love my BLT.

*You can walk to MK
*Monorail Access
*Nice Pool that only BLT guests can use.
*I love the theme. Nice clean lines.
*I have never found it to be loud. Actually the resort hallways always look dead to me. lol I like it that way. lol
*Top of the World Lounge is nice to see the fireworks.

Also in my opinion, the MK view is not all that. I think the lake view is much better.

Bay Lake Tower Owners Since 2009
Waiting on the Poly DVC!
YankeePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

Quote:
So we are staying at Bay lake towers in February. We have a lake view. I'm getting concerned because I keep reading negative things about this resort.

-to loud
-no theme
-workers aren't nice
-not worth it unless you have a MK view
Blah blah blah

Does anyone have any good experiences at BLT to share? I'm starting to rethink where we are staying. My mom is letting us use her DVC points to stay there. I just don't want her to use such a big amount of points if this place isn't all that great.

Any positives would be appreciated
We just stayed there in Aug. it was our 1st time there. I did not think it was too loud in the halls. However, we had a lake view & when the EWP came by, it was loud. Easily heard from our room. Also when the pool had their "pool party" in the afternoon, it was really loud. I remember thinking no way could a light sleeper take a nap with all that noise!

It does have a theme! Modern lol seriously the decor & lack of theme wasn't an issue for us. The resort is really nice. My only complaint is the poor condition of the furniture & horrible cleaning job the housekeeping did before we got into our room. We had a lot of issues with our room & broken items too. All were taken care of after our 4th complaint accompanied by pictures & we had to go to the CR manager & he was the one to get things done. It was after 4 days of our attempts with "managers" at BLT

Workers never went out of their way to say hello or good morning when passing them in the halls. Most put their head down & walked right past us. When you went to the lobby in the middle of the day there were plenty of people there to say hello. Once at the CR, every CM was friendly.

Our lake view was perfect & I wouldn't switch it to an MK view. There are plenty of ways to see the MK from the resort. The lake view with pool views were great & we loved it!

The best thing about the resort is the location. That alone would get me to stay there again. We had a room on the 5th floor close to the elevators & sky bridge. It was great & so convenient! The walk to the MK is great too. But it's tougher in the Aug heat after a long day at the parks

Food options are great too. So are the activities & pools. The grounds are pretty & well kept.

There are more positives than negatives so I wouldn't switch if I were you.
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePrincess View Post
Why I love my BLT.

...*Top of the World Lounge is nice to see the fireworks.

You'll have to be a DVC member to go up to the Top of the World Lounge. They ask to see you blue member card and your KTTW.

The connecting bridge and the parking lot are just as good to see the fireworks.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

BLT is my favorite resort! We have stayed there 5+ times and no problems.

We love being able to take the monorail or walking to MK.

the kids love the pool and water slide.

We havent had any problems with the staff. Everyone has always been friendly.

my only complaint is the smell in the lobby... wayyyyyyyy tooo strong.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm surprised you haven't seen ANY positive reviews. Do people just post negative stuff, or does reading the negative stuff cancel out the positive stuff?

Here is some of it:

1) Location, location, location. Walking to MK if you love MK - priceless.
2) Nice lounge (however you must be a DVC member to use it, is your mother going be there?)
3) Nice pool.
4) The rooms are nicely decorated.
5) I have never encountered any rude cast members there. But then I don't really care if they say good morning in the hallways or not.
6) Good restaurants at the Contemporary.
7) Good views even if you do not have a theme park view. The Bay Lake view from the higher floors is beautiful and you can sit on your balcony and watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

However, the building and corridors do look a lot like a hospital. Is that what they mean by "no theme?" It's a "retro modern" theme and the rooms are decorated to reflect that.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 09-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
WIDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

My family loves BLT and have stayed there 4 times so far, and just scheduled out 5th visit for next summer earlier today. For us I would say the top reasons would be:
  • Location, Location, Location - less than a 10 minute walk to be on Main Street
  • Staff - Our experience has been nothing but amazing from Desk to Service
  • Room Theme - yes there is a theme and it is modern yet fully Disney, just not in a giant Micky Mouse in your face, it is more subtle but definitely there
  • View options - we have always booked standard view preferring more time to a better view, but no matter what is important to you, you have the option
  • Dining Options - granted there are no restaurants in BLT but between the Contemporary just steps away and the Magic Kingdom being just across the street you will not run out of options
  • Transportation - as a family with young kids being able to monorail to Epcot, and walk or monorail to the Magic Kingdom is wonderful
Bay Lake Tower 7/10,7/11,8/12,7/13,8/14,12/14 - Kidani Village 12/10 - Polynesian GVC 8/03,7/04,6/07,7/08 LVC 7/06, GV 7/09 - Wilderness Lodge 6/05,7/08 - All Star Movies 1/09 - All Star Sports 11/14 - Doubletree Downtown Disney 12/07
WIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #28
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb102211 View Post
To Epcot; You take the monorail (no buses involved) It drops you off right at the front entrance of Epcot
Not exactly true. From BLT/CR, you take the monorail to the TTC, then transfer to a direct EPCOT monorail. It can take a few minutes to transfer to the EPCOT monorail and then wait for a train to arrive.

To the original question:

We enjoyed BLT. There were far more positives about BLT than negatives, for us.

Positives:

- Walking to MK
- The views all around are pretty awesome. We had a "lake view", but a 45 degree turn of our heads to the left gave us a great view of MK. But even if we'd only seen the lake, it would have been great.
- Getting around the resort is pretty easy, because of it's shape.
- The pool is very nice. It's not as heavily themed as some other deluxe pools, but it has all the major features the others do. Like others have said, there were times when we were the only people at the pool.
- Bus transportation to AK and and DHS was efficient.
- For the most part, the staff was courteous.

Negatives:

- Food options aren't quite as nice as a lot of other deluxes, IMO.
- It's definitely not as heavily themed as other deluxe resorts. It's not really a negative with me, but it might be for others.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
erikamacelroy
Mouseketeer

My family (two boys ages 2 & 6) stayed at BLT in June. We stayed in a studio room and had the lake view. This was our first Disney trip ever and boy are we spoiled now!! I can't imagine staying anywhere else! We already have a deposit on 9 day Disney vacation for next year and we are staying BLT. We switched to theme park view this time. We never found the size of our studio room to be an issue. The two year old was in a pack in play but the way the room was set up was like he had his own little nook in the hallway! It worked out great for my family. Walking to the Magic Kingdom can't be beat!!! Even in the HOT June weather...we still would walk. We LOVED watching Wishes every night from the comfort of our hotel. It was great to have the kids in PJs, walk down to the covered walking path to the Contemporary, and watch the fireworks! The decor of the resort is great. My family (especial my husband) loves the clean, modern feel of the resort. We NEVER had any problem with noise. The kids loved the pool area. It was perfect and finding a chair was never an issue. The water slide at BLT was great! Like I said before...my family can't imagine staying any where else. I guess we will be BLTers for life.

Our 2013 Family Disney Trip

Our 2014 Family Disney Trip

(Me) (DH) (DS7) (DS 4)

~September 2014 BLT (Turning 30 in Disney)
~June 2013 BLT (First Family Trip)
erikamacelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
DanielleandBrady
Mouseketeer

We love the BLT!!! We just got back. We love the theme, the pool, the location! We were waiting in line at the monorail and they announced that the monorail was down and there was no estimated time for it to run..people took off like mad! Booking to buses, etc. We leisurely walked to the BLT..its awesome.

I didn't think it was loud at all and we faced the pool. Even in the middle of the day, the noise didn't bother us and we were able to nap!

You will love it!! Have fun!!!

'89, '91-94,'08 Offsite
2002 POR 2009 BC 2011 GF
2012: BLT 2013: BLT
DanielleandBrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: