Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
TerryGriffin
Mouseketeer

Positive things about bay lake towers

So we are staying at Bay lake towers in February. We have a lake view. I'm getting concerned because I keep reading negative things about this resort.

-to loud
-no theme
-workers aren't nice
-not worth it unless you have a MK view
Blah blah blah

Does anyone have any good experiences at BLT to share? I'm starting to rethink where we are staying. My mom is letting us use her DVC points to stay there. I just don't want her to use such a big amount of points if this place isn't all that great.

Any positives would be appreciated
TerryGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
herb102211
DIS Veteran

We liked BLT for the convenience to MK (there is a path you can walk on to get there. It's about a 10 minute walk). We ate at a lot of the MK resort restaurants so it was convenient to hop on the monorail and get to the Poly or GF. Other than that, it's our least favorite DVC resort to stay at. The reviews are correct in that there really isn't a theme to the resort and we really didn't get the Disney feel there.

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- AoA 3/15-BC, 5/15-YC
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran

I actually like LV the best, as opposed to the MK/parking lot view. How big is your party and what is your room size? The studios are very small. OK for a couple or a family of three but I wouldn't do anymore than that. It is possible to get an mk view and have a LV. You just have to turn your head to the left. The location can't be beat...10 min walk to Mk! Plus it is themed....its modern! The CR was Walts dream...so I see BLt as an extension of that.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGriffin View Post
So we are staying at Bay lake towers in February. We have a lake view. I'm getting concerned because I keep reading negative things about this resort.

-to loud
-no theme
-workers aren't nice
Blah blah blah

Does anyone have any good experiences at BLT to share? I'm starting to rethink where we are staying. My mom is letting us use her DVC points to stay there. I just don't want her to use such a big amount of points if this place isn't all that great.

We have stayed there 3 times and LOVED it!

I would recommend unless studio with more than 2 people.

We had 1 br twice and 2 br once. All lake view . 7742,7410,7805. We liked 7742 and ability to watch action at CR, 7410 could see fireworks and 7805 nice but we like pie shaped rooms on outside of c better.

Go to dvc resort section and" work to play " has a great BLT thread with pis of most views. Really helpful for me, a must see if staying at BLT!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2257082

Walk to MK is quick. Choice of blt or cr pools.

Lots of space and extra bathroom is great.

The whimsy of talking elevator, curved hallways, orange triangle snack plates in room all add to the modern fun.

We will definitely stay there again after we try VGF this January.

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
jaulty
Mouseketeer

Quote:

-to loud
-no theme
-workers aren't nice
Blah blah blah

Here's my opinion.

Too loud --> Yes, anytime you have tons of people staying someplace on vacation that have children that are super excited for EVERYTHING, there will be noise. I guess I know that going to Disney. I didn't find it overly loud at all with our MK view or Lake view (in the inner-C, directly facing the pool).

No theme --> What kind of theme do you enjoy? We loved the theme because we didn't feel like it was in-our-face Disney, which was important for my DH as he is not in love with Disney as much as I am. I can get over the top Disney theme in MK, which is a 10 minute walk. We like the modern theme anyways, so it was nice. If you are hardcore non-modern styling, then you probably won't like it.

Worker's aren't nice --> We had friendly staff We are also not the type to chat up with CM when they are working, so we weren't expecting more than that.

Not worth it unless you have MK view --> Which is a view of the parking lot. Not super fancy. I actually prefer Lake view, I think it is the best part of Bay LAKE Tower. The sunrises....the electrical parade....you can catch the fireworks along the walkway, or TOTWL (DVC) or enjoy a very nice dinner at multiple monorail resorts and view the fireworks. Was watching fireworks from my bedroom awesome? Yes, but I still love lake view better.

Blah, blah, blah --> My favorite part of BLT is the walking to MK. I like that if the BLT pool is full, I can go to CR and chill. I like riding the monorail. I love California Grill. I LOVE the almost floor to ceiling windows. I love the artwork. I love the feel of the building, it's like I'm home, nicely decorated with a little bit of Mickey Love, love, love BLT.
jaulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
TerryGriffin
Mouseketeer

You made me happy! Yes, the reason we picked BLT was strictly on the bedding. I despise staying at hotels/resorts with those comforters that look like they are from the 80s. Almost all of the disney resorts have them. This one had solid white bedding. It just makes me feel more clean if that makes sense. Lol. I'm not a neat freak I'm just weird about sleeping in beds that aren't mine.

Thanks for the input. It was between this and the boardwalk. Everyone that uses her points stays at the boardwalk but again those comforters freaked me out. Lol.

I love being on the monorail line too!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
homedad
DIS Veteran

we just got back on Monday from 1 week at BLT and loved it!!! Great room set up(we had 2bd which has the xtra bathroom), having a dedicated lobby for BLT was great, CM were super helpful. The Top of World was great for fireworks. Pool was only disappointment for kids.
homedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We stayed there once and thought the daytime was loud with all the pool activities. If you are looking at coming back to the villa from a long morning at the theme parks, it can be tough to take a nap with all the pool noises. We were on the 7th floor inside the C just past the North elevators. The water parade also was noisy at night.

The villa was nice. The view was nice. The CMs were very nice. The parking was good. The walk to the MK was excellent. The monorail to Epcot (changing at TTC) was great.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Sandy Beitel
Earning My Ears

We love BLT as well. We really enjoy the Top of the World Lounge! Love the walk to Mk and the extra store at CR.
Sandy Beitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
You made me happy! Yes, the reason we picked BLT was strictly on the bedding. I despise staying at hotels/resorts with those comforters that look like they are from the 80s. Almost all of the disney resorts have them. This one had solid white bedding. It just makes me feel more clean if that makes sense. Lol. I'm not a neat freak I'm just weird about sleeping in beds that aren't mine.

Thanks for the input. It was between this and the boardwalk. Everyone that uses her points stays at the boardwalk but again those comforters freaked me out. Lol.

I love being on the monorail line too!
I thought all Disney resorts were going to can the comforters?

BLT is SPECTACULAR. Super friendly CM's, it was almost TOO quiet...we had the pool to ourselves most times. And of course you can't beat the location. That walk to MK? Priceless!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I thought all Disney resorts were going to can the comforters?

BLT is SPECTACULAR. Super friendly CM's, it was almost TOO quiet...we had the pool to ourselves most times. And of course you can't beat the location. That walk to MK? Priceless!
BLT still has the stupid lumpy duvet that drags when you try to make the bed. But DVC resorts will all be changed to triple sheet by sometime in 2014.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
TerryGriffin
Mouseketeer

So for transportation purposes at the BLT.

To get to MK...walk (amazing)
To get to Epcot... Monorail to a bus?
To get to AK/HS/DTD is there a bus from the BLT/Contemp. To these locations?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So for transportation purposes at the BLT.

To get to MK...walk (amazing)
To get to Epcot... Monorail to a bus?
To get to AK/HS/DTD is there a bus from the BLT/Contemp. To these locations?
To MK- you can either walk or take the monorail from the Contemporary

To Epcot; You take the monorail (no buses involved) It drops you off right at the front entrance of Epcot

To all of the other parks: Buses only

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- AoA 3/15-BC, 5/15-YC
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
kiddisney
DIS Veteran

hi - we love blt - we've stayed 3 times - one summer & two winter (the two winter weeks ended with marathon weekend) - and the only noise we had was the fireworks - which we loved - the pool was great - never as crowded as the moderate pools we used on other trips -

never had a theme park view - the lake view was great - relaxing - and so completely picturesqe - it made the vacation watching the boats & parasailers

the theme is modern - so it was cool to see what retro modern was -

not a lot of problems - we're going back in january again right before the kids go back to college

wdw: '83,'85-'86,'88-'89,'91-'93,'95,'97-'99,'02-'03, '05-'06, '08 -'14 (30 visits & counting - 10 trips in 13 months to visit dd: wdw imagineering intern & ds: wdw cp)
dl: '82,'87,'95
dcl: '98,'99,'00,'02,'03,'04 ... '11,'12,'14 (dbl dips gives us platinum)

kiddisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Hi - We had a great stay in a 2BR LV. The location is truly unbeatable. The super quick walk to MK would make us book BLT in a heartbeat. And, it has a great pool with zero entry for kids and it's own pool bar with food as well. Nothing like a leisurely afternoon at a great pool and then a quick dinner from the pool bar before making a quick 10 minute walk back to MK for evening entertainment. Sure the theme isn't as over the top as other resorts, but it's nice and calm.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: