Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Do I have an unfair bias against the value resorts?

Not wishing to sound snobby, I have only stayed at moderate or deluxe resorts and, for that matter, have never set foot in a value resort.

I have, however, watched Youtube videos of all of the value resorts and, at least from the videos, don't think I'd care for them in person. With the possible exception of AOA, they all just look like an oversized Motel 6 with, over the top, somewhat tacky-looking theming.

From the videos, the guest rooms look very bare bones and, as a family of four, we strongly prefer queen beds.

We're also not commando-style visitors and enjoy spending a good part of our vacation at the resort.

Anyone had a similar bias against the value resorts but then tried one in person and found that it was a lot better than what you were expecting?

Or with our family's criteria, would we be better served to continue avoiding the value resorts?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Not wishing to sound snobby, I have only stayed at moderate or deluxe resorts and, for that matter, have never set foot in a value resort.

I have, however, watched Youtube videos of all of the value resorts and, at least from the videos, don't think I'd care for them in person. With the possible exception of AOA, they all just look like an oversized Motel 6 with, over the top, somewhat tacky-looking theming.

From the videos, the guest rooms look very bare bones and, as a family of four, we strongly prefer queen beds.

We're also not commando-style visitors and enjoy spending a good part of our vacation at the resort.

Anyone had a similar bias against the value resorts but then tried one in person and found that it was a lot better than what you were expecting?

Or with our family's criteria, would we be better served to continue avoiding the value resorts?
Seems like your mind is already made up

From reading your ticker why are you even asking such a question when it reads that you are already staying at the deluxe resorts. These types of posts crack me up. One could just say that they don't prefer to stay at a value resort instead of bashing them instead.
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Yep....you're sounding a little snobby! We love the moderates....have never felt like the Deluxes are worth the money for the amount of time that we spend at the resort.....but our 3 boy's absolute favorite resort has been Allstar Sports! They are fun and bright and the kids LOVE them!
Blessedwith3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Yep, your mind is made up. The values are just that, a value. I have stayed at Music, Pop, and AoA. I own Dvc at both BWV and BLT. I stay at all level resort. If the only way someone can afford to stay at WDW is to stay at a value resort, then the resort will be fine.
I have to say that we have friends that go to WDW a lot. They stay at GF. They tried Yc and liked it well enough. But they went back to the GF! There is no way any other resort is going to make them happy. Are they resort snobs? Heck yes. But they know what they like a d need.
If you want to relax at a resort instead of being in parks all day, a value is probably not going to be happy at a value.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
donoiv11
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I think it's a fair question. I have stayed at a number of the resorts and on my next trip, we are trying ASmu. I actually thought Poly seemed like a motel... Didn't like it other than for the location... And we never spent a lot of time there.... So this trip, knowing that I'm not going to spend a lot of time in the room or at the resort, we are opting for more of a value than anything else. Would rather spend my money somewhere else on the property.

Outside of Disney, I typically gravitate to higher end hotels. I travel a ton for work and stay primarily at Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt properties... Would never, by personal choice, consider staying at a motel 6 ( or similar). In addition to being a lower end hotel, they are often in not so great areas.... Which can't be said for the disney value resorts.
donoiv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Depends on your priorities and touring style. I much prefer to stay at a Value and get more trips to the Magic than stay at a Deluxe for only one trip per year. Stayed 13 days at All Star Music in November, 2012; another trip in May 2013 for 10 days at All Star Movies; next trip will be 13 days at PoP in two weeks; and a fourth trip to All Star Movies this coming November for 8 days. Including air fare from Phoenix, AZ, we probably could have only done one Grand Floridian trip vs. the four this year. We have annual passes and TIW, so our greatest expense is hotels.
circus4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Yes, I'd say you sound a little snobby, especially since by your own admission you've never even set foot in one.

It's one thing to have made an informed opinion based on previous stays. In that case it would be fair to say that you have a preference for or against a particular resort or level of resort based on personal experience.

We've stayed at all 3 levels of resort and prefer to stay in the mods because we find them more comfortable, and will occasionally stay at a deluxe when we spend more than the usual amount of time at that resort instead of the parks.

I have nothing against the values. They just aren't what we are looking for in a vacation stay. Since you seem to have a very clear idea of the amenities that are important to you during your vacations, then it would be logical that you stick to the resorts that have those amenities.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
retlaw_yensid
Mouseketeer

If you have the means and desire to stay in a moderate or a deluxe, then that's what you should do. The values exist so that the budget-conscious can stay on Disney property and have a magical time.
retlaw_yensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw_yensid View Post
The values exist so that the budget-conscious can stay on Disney property and have a magical time.
MANY Guests who are not "budget-conscious" love the Values.
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Trying to compare a hotel that charges $300 up to over $1000 per night to one that is around $100 is crazy. It really should not astound anyone that you will not be getting the same location, pool, size of room and amenities. The values are what they are but with all their drawbacks they are still clean, safe, enjoyable and offer all the Disney magic and benefits. To you the décor seems tacky but to my family it screams Disney and we love that.
That is the glory of Disney, there is something for everyone but if you go into value always comparing to deluxes then obviously you will be disappointed.

We just returned from an 11 night stay at Music. It was not all roses. The food court situation (with Sports closed) was at times a nightmare and sharing buses was a pain but every cm we met was a sweetheart and we loved the theming. We did tour some deluxes and my dh loved, loved, loved the Beach Club. However, given the price difference for 11 nights (around $2,500 and up) we were not shocked at how beautiful it was and what a location! Well, maybe one day!
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
Babsy
DIS Veteran

I don't think that you would really enjoy a value resort based upon your post. I understand what you mean. Personally, I have stayed in all levels (except DVC where you get a kitchen and no mousekeeping!! Not for me on a vacation, thank you!) and found reason to enjoy them all.

That said,
Obviously, I enjoy the deluxe the best, then the mods and lastly the values. Different trips are for different purposes and have different budgets. I enjoy the value when I am going with someone that needs to budget a little more or has small children that like the perhaps more child oriented than 'tacky', theming. Or even when i just want an inexpensive trip myself. The value theming appeals to the inner child inside all of us. PLUS It enables a trip to WDW that wouldn't otherwise happen and at the end of the day it is a fine bed in a comfortable room. No extras, but sometimes that's OK.

If values don't look appealing to you and you can afford the moderates and luxury resorts, then I say "Lucky you!". You are very likely correct in the assumption that they are not for you. They are fairly basic resorts that are better suited to people with a theme park focus. Except as a place to sleep and a brief rest/swim mid-afternoon, they aren't designed to spend a lot of time exploring, IMO.

One of the wonderful things about Disney is that it is a place where there is something for everyone in all walks of life. If you are worried that you might be missing something, go and have a look at one on your next visit to WDW. Then you can decide if you want to try it for yourself. I would suggest AoA because the theming is fun in an over the top Disney way. It's like living in one of these animated movies. Kind of nice and not really so tacky at all.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Patience
DIS Veteran

Well, I have never stayed at a Disney World deluxe hotel because I think they are seriously overpriced for the quality of the rooms. We stayed at Pop in 2011 and thought the resort grounds were fun but found the rooms too small and basic for our tastes. As you can see from my ticker, we are staying at a moderate this time.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

How many are in your family? We were pleasantly surprised when we stayed at the All-Stars Music when we decided that we preferred two rooms for us instead of just one at a moderat or deluxe. We always have a car and drive to most parks and other locations so that takes away some of the negatives of the values (bus stops).

I prefer the moderates (POR) over the values by a good bit but still managed to enjoy the values. I did not see any additional value in the Wilderness Lodge (deluxe) vs Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Resort; I definitely felt a difference between the Polynisian and the moderates.
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
20yBWDW
Mouseketeer

The rooms at the values will be more bare bones than what you are used to. The beds are smaller and less comfortable. There is less space. The decor is less elegant, and louder/brighter/more appealing to children than adults. Of course I noticed these things while at a value resort. But I can enjoy myself in a tent in the woods, so I knew I would enjoy myself at the value resort. The rooms were big enough, the beds were comfortable enough, and the decor enjoyable enough (at least for my kids, and vicariously for me). The difference between the value and the deluxe, for us and at this stage of our lives, was not worth the difference in cost.

I guess what I am trying to say...you are not going to go to a value and think it's not really any different. But you might go to a value and think it was well worth the 3k you just saved to sleep in a double instead of a queen and have a little less walk space between the beds.
20yBWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
retlaw_yensid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post

MANY Guests who are not "budget-conscious" love the Values.
Please don't assume I meant anything mean by my comment. I was just trying to point out why Disney started offering values in the first place. I have stayed at Pop Century myself on more than one occasion. I merely got the impression the OP was questioning why Disney even bothered.
retlaw_yensid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: