Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #46
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend
 
Princess Katherine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 643

I'm so scared of Online Check In that's what I'm going as in MNSSHP.

Katie
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #47
ronfin
Mouseketeer
 
ronfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierae View Post
Did you stay club level? I've never heard of someone being met off the bus unless they were staying club level.
No, we stayed at All Star Music. There were two people, a guy and a girl waiting for people as everyone stepped off the Magic Express bus from the airport holding folders. They said "Are you the [LAST NAME] family?" to which we replied "yes", and they handed our folders to us and answered any questions we had. My parents had to add a pin number, so the girl that handed them their folder walked them over to the counter and took care of it immediately ahead of the line. Something new they're doing with the meet and greet right off the buses.
__________________
2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3


Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
ronfin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #48
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 47,109

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but in terms of room assignments, they assign rooms based on arrival time for those who did online check-in and look at room requests secondary. They will try to accommodate requests when they can, but they will put you in a room that's ready first. This has been my experience and it came up when I was discussing with a CM about this. So, for some of us, the room request is more important than having a room that is ready so we forego online check-in.
When doing online checkin I have seen a bit you can check off to let them know if having A room ready when you get there vs having THE room you want. You can actually let them know which is more important.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
They literally meet you at the bus from the airport now with your folder(s) in hand. It's that fast and convenient now. There is really NO reason to NOT do an online check-in and save the time to get right to your vacation. If you prefer lines, and "traditional" waiting, then by all means, skip the online check-in. If however you'd like to step off the Magic Express and have someone say "Hi, are you the [YOUR LAST NAME] family?" the second you walk off the bus with everything already waiting for you, then use the online check-in. It should be a no-brainer just for that.
People have reported having that experience for over a year now. I have yet to have ANYONE greet me, let alone by name, and knowing I'm there for online checkin. In Feb we arrived on the bus around 1am, and there was absolutely no one around. No one else checking in, we pretty much had to wake up the Bell Services guy, and since it was all so glitchy then we spent more time with the checkin people than we've spent with normal checkin people.

Of course, the "hi are you the Whatever family" doesn't work for us and isn't something we need, because neither DH nor I changed our names, and DS is hyphenated. So it's not something we want, and it's also not something we've ever experienced.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

We would have to wait at the desk anyway to have the credit card thing done.

So yes, there are reasons for not doing the online check-in.
FWIW, you might simply get to wait in a shorter line, if you did online checkin. Changing the CC stuff has taken very little time, as long as it's not glitchy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528 View Post
Yes, this. Every time we've gone to WDW (and we're DVC), the online check inline was WAY longer than the regular one.
When we've gone, the online checkin might have looked long, but then they send you to the next available CM, so it doesn't take anywhere near as long as you think it will.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #49
Amanda999
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
They literally meet you at the bus from the airport now with your folder(s) in hand. It's that fast and convenient now. There is really NO reason to NOT do an online check-in and save the time to get right to your vacation. If you prefer lines, and "traditional" waiting, then by all means, skip the online check-in. If however you'd like to step off the Magic Express and have someone say "Hi, are you the [YOUR LAST NAME] family?" the second you walk off the bus with everything already waiting for you, then use the online check-in. It should be a no-brainer just for that.
Maybe it varies by resort, or maybe I just arrive the wrong moment, but I've stayed at POR and POFQ several after checking in online, and never has anyone from registration met me disembarking from magical express, nor have I seen any such person outside (only behind the registration desk), nor has my folder been handy quickly.

FWIW, I did online check in for my current stay. Despite no line it took awhile to check in because the cm couldn't cut the kttw. My sole room request wasn't met, but they were able to move me to a room that I did like. She switched it to the wrong room, so then she had to move it to the correct (now third) room.

Because I had done online check in, the process took about an hour - they had to rebook my entire room only reservation for the "third" room. I had never heard of such a thing, and I've changed rooms at check in many times in the past. So, now my confirmation number is different, the Bounceback person couldn't find me, etc. Then, I learn that my room key opens the room door, but doesn't charge at food court. the kids keys charge but don't open the door. So, back to the front desk. Apparently the person who rebooked the room did it wrong; the cm had to re-rebook the room. A third confirmation number, and another 45 minutes... At all times there was no line at check in - its not crowded here. Oh- and she warns me to not link the new confirm number to mde because it could mess something up. Okaaaay.

Needless to say, I'm not going to do online check in again. I know I will want to change rooms, so it's not for me. But I'm glad it works for easier going people!
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #50
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 8,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
When doing online checkin I have seen a bit you can check off to let them know if having A room ready when you get there vs having THE room you want. You can actually let them know which is more important.
That is a new feature that has been added within the last several months. I still wouldn't do it because if I happen to not get a room that meets my request, it is more of a hassle and a wait for them to change it if I had done online check-in. I'd rather avoid it and just check-in in person so I can reiterate my request at that point.

If room location was of no importance to me, I probably would do online check-in.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #51
tinkerbell2528
Mouseketeer
 
tinkerbell2528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
I don't get it. I'm reading through many threads on these boards, and I am seeing the same thing over and over. People are talking about why they don't or won't do online check-in. What gives? Why do people NOT want to take advantage of this free and very convenient service??

I actually read where somebody said that they wanted the experience of standing in a line at the resort so they could have the face-to-face interaction with a Disney CM. Somebody else said that they feel they get better service from a "regular" front desk person, than an "online check-in" front desk person.

Perhaps I should equate this to the people who stand in a long line at a movie theater to purchase tickets, instead of one of the ten empty self-service ticket kiosks that are either next to the box office, or inside the theater lobby.

So people want to stand in long lines for hotel check-in, and to purchase movie tickets. But they don't have any problem taking a cart-full of groceries to the "self-checkout" at the supermarket, even though they have no clue how to use the machine. I guess some human behavior is just not menat to make any sense.
I personally don't get it either. We have always done online check-in since it was first introduced and we have never had any problems (thank god). We always arrive and our room is ready for us. I personally love the online check-in think its the best thing ever no matter what time we arrive at the resort.
__________________




Our Family
Me:DH: DD(11) DS:RIP(4) Sparky
WDW 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 14
tinkerbell2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #52
Oh So ONO
Earning My Ears
 
Oh So ONO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes
I don't get it. I'm reading through many threads on these boards, and I am seeing the same thing over and over. People are talking about why they don't or won't do online check-in. What gives? Why do people NOT want to take advantage of this free and very convenient service??

I actually read where somebody said that they wanted the experience of standing in a line at the resort so they could have the face-to-face interaction with a Disney CM. Somebody else said that they feel they get better service from a "regular" front desk person, than an "online check-in" front desk person.

Perhaps I should equate this to the people who stand in a long line at a movie theater to purchase tickets, instead of one of the ten empty self-service ticket kiosks that are either next to the box office, or inside the theater lobby.

So people want to stand in long lines for hotel check-in, and to purchase movie tickets. But they don't have any problem taking a cart-full of groceries to the "self-checkout" at the supermarket, even though they have no clue how to use the machine. I guess some human behavior is just not menat to make any sense.
Thank you Fantaluninishes for this thread!! It's a great question. Personally, I'm thankful for the out of touch people, and those who stand in long lines at the hotels (and movie theaters LOL!). I say keep doing what you're doing. It makes breezing through the online check in window that much easier.
Oh So ONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #53
elaine amj
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,759

i normally love online whatever. we typically arrive abt 12/1am. The last 2 trips to Pop, the online check in line was much longer than the reg check in line. Only 1 person for online vs multiple ppl for regular. Our last trip onsite was a year ago so maybe things have changed.

After standing and waiting forever in online check in watching the regular line head to their rooms before me... I gave up on online check in.
__________________
August 2012 Dining Review: A lesson in sharing or how to turn 12 TS credits into 14 meals
I've been BOO'ED!!!
elaine amj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #54
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1,209 miles from CBR.
Posts: 6,269

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
They will try to accommodate requests when they can, but they will put you in a room that's ready first.
That is how it used to work. Now you have the option of choosing your preference of having your room ready upon arrival or having your requests met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
So, for some of us, the room request is more important than having a room that is ready so we forego online check-in.

I would say this is true for most of us who make room requests. The new system takes that into consideration.
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #55
shyjade
DIS Veteran
 
shyjade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,232

I like that it now asks what time you will be arriving at the resort. Last year when I did online check-in it didn't ask me, but this year it did. I would think that helps them plan better?
__________________
(me) (DD16)
shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #56
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1,209 miles from CBR.
Posts: 6,269

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I still wouldn't do it because if I happen to not get a room that meets my request, it is more of a hassle and a wait for them to change it if I had done online check-in.
I can't see how it's more of a hassle. Even if you don't do online check in your room is assigned 2-3 days before your arrival. So if you don't do online check in and want to, and are able to, change the room you were assigned the CM will have to make that change in the system. Then put together your packet and cut your KTTW.

If you do online check in and want to, and are able to, change the room you were assigned the CM will have to make that change in the system. Then put together your packet and cut a new KTTW. There's no difference in the process that has to be done if you want to change the room you were assigned.

I'm not trying to convince someone who doesn't want to do online check in that they should. I'm posting this for those who are trying to decide whether to do it or not.
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #57
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

I held off doing OLCI because one of the amenities I wanted was not listed as a choice, and it was one that is important to me. My TA had already put in the request but I wasn't sure if putting in a different request via OLCI would cancel the other ( I believe I read that on the DIS somewhere). Anyway, its a moot point now since we have decided to forgo our requests to have our room ready early. Now watch, my room won't be ready when we arrive and I won't get either request
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #58
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1,209 miles from CBR.
Posts: 6,269

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I held off doing OLCI because one of the amenities I wanted was not listed as a choice, and it was one that is important to me. My TA had already put in the request but I wasn't sure if putting in a different request via OLCI would cancel the other ( I believe I read that on the DIS somewhere).
Requests made during online check in will overwrite any requests made via phone. However, you CAN do online check in and not make any requests. Problem solved.
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #59
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Requests made during online check in will overwrite any requests made via phone. However, you CAN do online check in and not make any requests. Problem solved.
That was the problem, I had 2 requests but only one was available with OLCI. At the time I wasn't sure what to do- if I did it without putting in any requests, would that override the 2 my TA called in and they just give me any room. That is how I interpreted what I read here.
We decided as much as we want X and Y it would be better to get into a room when we arrive. Hopefully we'll get the one room I requested online, not getting the other (or either) wouldn't be the end of the world though.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #60
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 8,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
I can't see how it's more of a hassle. Even if you don't do online check in your room is assigned 2-3 days before your arrival. So if you don't do online check in and want to, and are able to, change the room you were assigned the CM will have to make that change in the system. Then put together your packet and cut your KTTW.

If you do online check in and want to, and are able to, change the room you were assigned the CM will have to make that change in the system. Then put together your packet and cut a new KTTW. There's no difference in the process that has to be done if you want to change the room you were assigned.

I'm not trying to convince someone who doesn't want to do online check in that they should. I'm posting this for those who are trying to decide whether to do it or not.
I used to work in the hospitality industry so I am familiar with room assignments.

When you do online check-in, they put those people into rooms that are ready based on arrival times. They are in one "bucket" (depending on the system) while everyone else is assigned to other rooms. If I don't like my room at online check-in and request something else, they have to spend the time searching other available rooms, if that person has checked in online and their arrival time, until they find something that meets my request. They then have to reprint your key and folio. In the mean time, you're holding up the online check-in line, most likely occupying a supervisor, and defeating the purpose of speedy check-in all together.

Without online check-in, they can move your room amongst other rooms that are available without online check-ins attached. It's easier for them to switch it around in the system (less to consider) and they likely don't need to call anyone over to help. Plus, in our experience, more CMs are at "regular" check-in desk than online check-in desk (we stay at mods), so I don't feel quite as guilty holding up the line.

Not trying to be a jerk with the rooms I request and I hate to be a hassle with it, but it never hurts to ask!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.