Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

I have done online check-in 13 of our 14 resort stays. 12 times I got my room request, and 4 times we were upgraded. I think it speeds up the process. You can always ask for a different room either way. I believe the rooms are assigned 3 or 4 days before your arrival no matter which way you decide to check in.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Our results on regular check-in vs online check-in:

9/2011 (All-Star Music) - Regular check-in at 11am, long line, put in back corner of resort in quiet area in Jazz (as requested at the desk), but on walking in, room was dirty (unmade beds, toenail clippings on floor, towels on floor). Called to complain, went to DTD, came back 3 hours later to the same state of room. Complained again, comped one night, moved to Broadway in a non-requested room style.

1/2012 (Pop Century) - Regular check-in at 12pm, long line, requested 80's. Put in 90's. Room was not ready, but got a text 3 hours later when it was. Room was fine and close to the area where we requested. Given upgrade to pool view.

10/2012 (Pop Century) - Online check-in 10 days prior. Moderate line, requested 80's, second floor. Walked up to online check-in desk at 11am, room request for 80's, upper floor honored. Room ready upon arrival. Given upgrade to pool view. Exact area we requested.

1/2013 (Polynesian) - Online check-in 10 days prior. Requested close to TTC, third floor (can't remember what building). Walked up to online check-in desk at 11am, no line. Room request partially honored, we got third floor as requested, but were given a room upgrade to water view meaning we were placed nowhere near where we were requested. However, we were given the option to take standard-view near TTC as requested on 3rd floor. We declined. Stayed in Tuvalau, 3rd floor, water view.

5/2013 (Pop Century) - Online check-in 18 days prior. Requested 80's, second floor. Walked up to online check-in at 12pm, no line. Room request for 80's, upper floor honored. Room ready on arrival. Given upgrade to pool view.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #33
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

I love the online check in. All my room requests were taken care of aside from having a pack n play put in the room, but that was taken care of easily with a quick phone call.

I am all about using technology to get into the parks quicker! I am a big kid about throwing our stuff in our room so we can get going! My poor husband doesn't get in a hurry regardless...
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #34
jaiminee krikit
Mouseketeer

I don't get why people are scared of it either! I love it. Do people think you don't interact with a human at all upon arrival? (Although I wouldn't mind that, either!) You still talk to a person, they still tell you about the resort and explain how to get to your room. We stayed at POR over Christmas, and the CM told us which bus stops were most convenient.
I've done online check-in for my last 3 trips. I learned after the 1st that I could request a room in any section, and each time I have gotten my request. On my most recent trip, I arrived at 9 in the morning. I thought there was no way my room would be ready. When the CM checking me in said it was, I couldn't hide my shock. She told me that if you do online check-in, that's one of the perks - usually your room will be ready when you arrive.
What do they do at regular check-in that they don't do for online check-in? We've been lucky on every trip, and there's never really been a long line on either side. I think once there was one family in front of us in the online line, but only one CM handling online check-ins, while there were about 5 handling regular check-ins. When one of the CM's at the regular line noticed us waiting, they called us right over. I would say next time I'll try regular check-in and see what the difference is, but I don't think I could stand it! Once I see I can check-in online, I MUST DO IT!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #35
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but in terms of room assignments, they assign rooms based on arrival time for those who did online check-in and look at room requests secondary. They will try to accommodate requests when they can, but they will put you in a room that's ready first. This has been my experience and it came up when I was discussing with a CM about this. So, for some of us, the room request is more important than having a room that is ready so we forego online check-in.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #36
ronfin
Mouseketeer

They literally meet you at the bus from the airport now with your folder(s) in hand. It's that fast and convenient now. There is really NO reason to NOT do an online check-in and save the time to get right to your vacation. If you prefer lines, and "traditional" waiting, then by all means, skip the online check-in. If however you'd like to step off the Magic Express and have someone say "Hi, are you the [YOUR LAST NAME] family?" the second you walk off the bus with everything already waiting for you, then use the online check-in. It should be a no-brainer just for that.
2012 Trip Report: Entry #1
2012 Trip Report: Entry #2
2012 Trip Report: Entry #3

Like pictures of Disney? Check-out my Flickr by clicking HERE.
ronfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #37
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I just did the online check-in for the next trip. But I won't have friends staying with me and the only request I made was a high floor, because I think I'd like a balcony this time. I don't do online checkin when someone stays with me because:

They will most likely arrive at a different time from me, and
We don't put one credit card on both key cards. My friend will be more likely to want to have their own credit card linked instead of mine.

We would have to wait at the desk anyway to have the credit card thing done.

So yes, there are reasons for not doing the online check-in.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 08-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We've done online check-in every time since they started offering it. We've gotten our room requests met every time. Sometimes we've checked in early and the room was ready. One time, it wasn't, but they texted us when it was. Sometimes we checked in pretty late and STILL got our requests met. We know the drill, it aint' our first rodeo, so we want to get our keys, get to our room and get on with our vacation!

I know that some people like the longer interaction with the CMs and some people have had bad luck/experiences with online check-in. It's worked out for us each time.

Uh-oh, I hope I didn't just jinx us for next time!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #39
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I just did the online check-in for the next trip. But I won't have friends staying with me and the only request I made was a high floor, because I think I'd like a balcony this time. I don't do online checkin when someone stays with me because:

They will most likely arrive at a different time from me, and
We don't put one credit card on both key cards. My friend will be more likely to want to have their own credit card linked instead of mine.

We would have to wait at the desk anyway to have the credit card thing done.

So yes, there are reasons for not doing the online check-in.
Extenuating circumstances aside.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #40
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
I actually read where somebody said that they wanted the experience of standing in a line at the resort so they could have the face-to-face interaction with a Disney CM.
So people want to stand in long lines for hotel check-in, and to purchase movie tickets. But they don't have any problem taking a cart-full of groceries to the "self-checkout" at the supermarket, even though they have no clue how to use the machine. I guess some human behavior is just not menat to make any sense.
First of all, I'm pretty sure it was me you are referring to, becuase I know I replied to some thread about online checkin saying I love to have as much interactions with CM's as possible. And I don't want to take the chance of not gettng the whole spiel etc. That's me, I'm different to you. Doesn't mean I'm wrong, or it's bad. Heck, I don't judge those who prefer online checkin. Oh, and I don't use the self checkouts either. Hate them. I also prefer vinyl to CD's and I don't even have an iPod! Crazy, right? I must be SCARED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapunk View Post
The last time i checked in at coronado i had no wait at check in by doing the regular. About 5 families were in the online check in line. Works for me!
Yes, this. Every time we've gone to WDW (and we're DVC), the online check inline was WAY longer than the regular one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Being scared of the process has nothing to do with it, and frankly I find the use of the term insulting and condescending. Having experience with the process and having determined what works and what doesn't work is the reason why we don't use this so called perk.
Yes, THIS!!! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1girln3boys View Post
Our kiosks at the movie theater seldom work. And I hate self check out at the grocery store.
Me too!
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #41
ronfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Being scared of the process has nothing to do with it, and frankly I find the use of the term insulting and condescending. Having experience with the process and having determined what works and what doesn't work is the reason why we don't use this so called perk.
What part of the process doesn't work? I'm curious. Extenuating circumstances aside, how is waiting in a line better/not better than having someone greet you as you step off of the bus holding your folder(s) already completed, and ready to answer any/all your questions or issues immediately without waiting in a line? Having experiences with both I haven't found one reason yet to go back to waiting in line.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #42
angierae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfin View Post
What part of the process doesn't work? I'm curious. Extenuating circumstances aside, how is waiting in a line better/not better than having someone greet you as you step off of the bus holding your folder(s) already completed, and ready to answer any/all your questions or issues immediately without waiting in a line? Having experiences with both I haven't found one reason yet to go back to waiting in line.
Did you stay club level? I've never heard of someone being met off the bus unless they were staying club level.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #43
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierae View Post
Did you stay club level? I've never heard of someone being met off the bus unless they were staying club level.
I've been met off the bus at Boardwalk and Beach Club. DVC, not club level. But when they met me they did not know I was DVC. Boardwalk, on a trip with the online check-in, even did the thing where the gal said to have a seat in the lobby, and she brought me my resort package and key.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #44
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Online Check-in Wins!

Based on the responses to this thread (so far), online check-in is the preferred method for most Guests. It would seem that, extenuating circumstances aside, it just makes more sense to check-in online. Clearly, there is more risk to foregoing this convenience than skipping it entirely. But like others said, "diffferent strokes..."

I like the idea of a CM greeting you as you off-board the DME bus. That's a nice perk of OCI. Maybe with the whole RFID thing, Disney will introduce a kiosk system at the resorts so that those of us who live "in the now" will be able to press our Magic Bands to a mouse-head and get our room assignment from a screen, and be on our way.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

The last time I used on line check in I ended up downgraded from a preferred to a standard view. And the CM at check in wasn't even going to tell me! The two trips before that when I used OLCI in ended up in rooms as far from the main buildings as possible.

I haven't used it on my last 3 trips, but I am going to give it another shot for my trip this December. I have a standard room at POR booked, and don't really care a whole lot where I am placed, so whatever will be fine. If I had a need of a certain location I wouldn't be using it.

I has nothing to do with being afraid and everything to do with knowing the system has flaws and limits. I can't believe we have yet another topic where posters feel as if they have the right to judge each other on the choices they make. Just because it is not the choice you would make, that doesn't make it somehow wrong.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: