Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Why Are People So Scared of Online Check-In?

I don't get it. I'm reading through many threads on these boards, and I am seeing the same thing over and over. People are talking about why they don't or won't do online check-in. What gives? Why do people NOT want to take advantage of this free and very convenient service??

I actually read where somebody said that they wanted the experience of standing in a line at the resort so they could have the face-to-face interaction with a Disney CM. Somebody else said that they feel they get better service from a "regular" front desk person, than an "online check-in" front desk person.

Perhaps I should equate this to the people who stand in a long line at a movie theater to purchase tickets, instead of one of the ten empty self-service ticket kiosks that are either next to the box office, or inside the theater lobby.

So people want to stand in long lines for hotel check-in, and to purchase movie tickets. But they don't have any problem taking a cart-full of groceries to the "self-checkout" at the supermarket, even though they have no clue how to use the machine. I guess some human behavior is just not menat to make any sense.

DLR 100+ times since '67. WDW: '97 - '01, '12 and '13 ASMU, Ft. WL, CSR, AKL, WL, (and off-site twice)
Fantaluminishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
I don't get it. I'm reading through many threads on these boards, and I am seeing the same thing over and over. People are talking about why they don't or won't do online check-in. What gives? Why do people NOT want to take advantage of this free and very convenient service??

I actually read where somebody said that they wanted the experience of standing in a line at the resort so they could have the face-to-face interaction with a Disney CM. Somebody else said that they feel they get better service from a "regular" front desk person, than an "online check-in" front desk person.

Perhaps I should equate this to the people who stand in a long line at a movie theater to purchase tickets, instead of one of the ten empty self-service ticket kiosks that are either next to the box office, or inside the theater lobby.

So people want to stand in long lines for hotel check-in, and to purchase movie tickets. But they don't have any problem taking a cart-full of groceries to the "self-checkout" at the supermarket, even though they have no clue how to use the machine. I guess some human behavior is just not menat to make any sense.
Some people just prefer face to face interaction - old school style. Lots of people think their requests may not be met if they do online check in or want to just speak to a live person and go over it again. And for some people the hour that they get into the lobby really doesn't make online check in any faster so they don't care.

I've done both - I really don't care either way. If we're getting in before check in at 3p then I'll do online check in hoping my room will be available early. If it's late at night I'll just go the traditional route.

Different strokes and all that.
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

for me - when it first started you got the room that was assigned to you period.

no changing.

the room was generally the first ready room - now sometimes these are great - other times they can be the worst views.

now that I am older views mean alot to me - so if I can pick (and generally you can) in the check in line and not in the online system - definitely going to go for the check in line.

now when and if the online system allows you to change your room or even pick the view for your room - then will use it

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
dixiegirl
sorry but those dolls really creep me out!

For myself personally I love online check-in. I have used it since they started offering it and have never had an issue. That being said - I make no room requests (have no special needs and could care less about location or view). I like having a nice, clean room but that's about it - use it to bathe and sleep.

Love the convenience of walking up to the online check-in window and quickly being given my info - I'm not new to this - I do not need the hoopla - and let me be off on my way to the parks! Room not ready - that's fine - now they send me a text and let me know when it is!

But - to each his own - some people don't trust it or have had issues, then by all means, go the traditional route.

POR Annual Oct trips 10/96-10/13
Next trip - 10/17/14-10/25/14 POR
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
scard192
DIS Veteran

I would love to check in on line but have 2 linked reservations for myself and my sister but can only access on line check in for myself. I am going to try and use the "old" website and see if I can do it there. Would love to skip the check in line when we arrive.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
sanapunk
Kahtkateer
Me number one kite flier!

The last time i checked in at coronado i had no wait at check in by doing the regular. About 5 families were in the online check in line. Works for me!

Who's the driver of the kaht that's made for you and me? V-A-R-L-E-Y B-A-W-B!!
sanapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
for me - when it first started you got the room that was assigned to you period.

no changing.

the room was generally the first ready room - now sometimes these are great - other times they can be the worst views.

now that I am older views mean alot to me - so if I can pick (and generally you can) in the check in line and not in the online system - definitely going to go for the check in line.

now when and if the online system allows you to change your room or even pick the view for your room - then will use it

I was under the impression that you could still pick the room view you wanted if you go through the regular check-in lines even if you have checked in online?
Skywise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

For me, I hope for that ever elusive upgrade. I feel like the chances at a free upgrade are greater at the desk. This may be completely wrong though, which makes me want to start a new thread about free upgrades.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Dang...

Okay, now you guys are making me paranoid... anyway to cancel an online checkin?
Skywise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

The last 2 times I've done online check in. I ended up with rooms in the back 40 of the resort.

I'm tired of that - sometimes I think it's because I go solo so they just give me the crappiest furthest away rooms in the category I've booked.

By waiting and checking in when I get there - I can easily ask them to change my room if I don't like where it is.
It's not so easy to do if you've done online check in - the last time I was sent to the normal check in line to get it taken care of so I waited in double lines.

So no more online check in for me.........

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

OK. Aside from the "different strokes..." reply, nobody has really answered my question. It's not as if you can check-in online, and then magically show up at your room (presumably with a Magic Band), and walk right in. You still need to go to the front desk to "complete" the check-in process. I would think the "benefits" of online check-in would outweigh the decision to opt-out.

I used online check-in when I stayed at POR last summer. I arrived to the resort at 8am, and was in my room by 8:15. I believe having this helped me to get into my room early. I was very happy with my room and the location.

The CM's who work the desk for "online check-in" are no different than those who work the standard check-in desk. I'm quite sure they are trained exactly the same as any other front desk agents.

DLR 100+ times since '67. WDW: '97 - '01, '12 and '13 ASMU, Ft. WL, CSR, AKL, WL, (and off-site twice)
Fantaluminishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I'm not afraid of online check in, I don't have good experiences with it. We've tried it three times, at various periods since it started and had nothing but trouble.

First time, we waited at the online check in line for 30 minutes. Regular line almost unused, with 3 CMs who avoided looking at the growing line of online check in guests. We were behind the first couple, and thought, along with the rest, that we were waiting for a CM to get back to them about a question. Turns out, they had walked up and waited just like the rest of us. When we all finally realized, we asked the "regular" line CMs, who finally went in the back for the guy who was supposed to be working the online check in. By the time he got out there, and we were finally checked in, it had been a 45 minute wait - meanwhile, a dribble of regular check in guests had come and gone.

Second time, we went to the online check in line - waited a few minutes for a CM, then walked over to the regular line. This time, a regular CM walked over to wait on us at the online check in, but couldn't find our packet. Looked high and lo, finally had to get a manager. Took 20 minutes total, regular check in line moved much faster.

Third time, we walked up to online check in, good news - a CM was actually there! Sorry to say, the packet contained our name, but every other piece of info was wrong. Completely, not a thing relating to us. Took about 30 minutes to get it all straightened out. Again, regular line guests walked up, were waited on, moved on.~sigh~

We've decided online check in is not for us.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
policycobb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
For me, I hope for that ever elusive upgrade. I feel like the chances at a free upgrade are greater at the desk. This may be completely wrong though, which makes me want to start a new thread about free upgrades.
I did on-line check and was upgraded to a water view at CSR in October.

policycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Used online check in twice - never time did we get our requests and asked when there and they could met them and moved us.

Last time they didn't even have the card on file that I entered online and had to re swipe it

I officially give up and am going back to regular check in (we arrive usually around 6pm as we fly in from the UK and have never had a line at check in)

Apr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I personally had more issues with regular checkin than I did online check in. WE were in same room and had a message in room saying such so not sure what issue was. only 1 room key worked, none had charging priv. even though card said we did.

I also had no stinking idea how to get into room first time since no one had said word one about rfid keys, I had no idea pin number was needed to do DDP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: