Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #76
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieBelle View Post
Fun report! We are from San Jose too.

My husband and I just returned from the same cruise, later sailing! I recognized a lot of the places in your photos!
Thanks for reading! I've been having withdrawals so I'm reading other trip reports, too.

It would be funny if you knew my in-laws in "real life." My FIL taught at DeAnza for many years -- just now retired. They love to cruise.
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #77
WDWLinda
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Hi there...although this would be my dream cruise, I may never get on it, but at least I lived it vicariously through you and your great pictures. So thanks for taking the time to organize and post it all. You have a great eye for detail. Looks like your family had a great time. Did you enjoy the FE program and would you do it again? We're going on our first cruise in Nov. and I need to read about it more and decide if I want to do it. What type of gifts did you get?

Also, were the living statues real people? I guess by the name they should be, but they just looked so statue-like...did they move around?

Thanks!!!

Linda
WDWLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #78
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it was a trip of a lifetime (let's hope it's not all downhill from here....)

The FE thing was a lot of fun although there were only about 6 or 7 families participating. We gave out neck things that absorbed water and kept you cool, some little photo books made from name badges and tied with ribbon, package of Orbit gum wrapped in red and black paper to look like Mickey Mouse and post-it pad holders. You can see all of my FE gifts on Facebook if you are a FB user. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

There are so many creative ideas on that group! Look for FISH EXTENDER DISNEY CRUISE LINE on Facebook.

We got packages of candy from where the giver lived (Ireland), a large photo frame signed by all the characters, magnets, collapsible water bottles, a thing like a magazine holder to hold you trip planning for next time... it was so fun to come back to find little gifts.

I am doing it again for my girls and my MIL who are going on the Wonder for New Year's Eve out of Galveston. My husband and I are not going but I'm sending stuff for them.

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #79
linetbo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post
Wednesday, August 7 continued

Back at the hotel, David, Norene and Brian had had a little nap and were ready to eat dinner. We all walked back to Las Ramblas and the passed through to the Placa Rieal. This is a beautiful square with restaurants all along the interior corridors. In fact, it appears that everyone eats al fresco in Barcelona!

A word about water, before I go any further. In the US, when you want tap water, or you're trying to economize, you say, "I'll just have some water." In Europe, "I'll just have water" will get you a beautiful bottle of water and a glass. No ice. Sometimes they ask you, "Naturelle? No gas?" meaning, no carbonation? And no, it's not free -- about 2 euros. Also, a basket of bread will set you back about 1.2 euros per person.

Seeing how it was our first meal in Barcelona, I had the four cheese pizza and a glass of wine:

These lamps were the first and only pieces of public art commissioned by the town council to the struggling new artist, Gaudi. Aren't they beautiful?

I love the gorgeous touches everywhere:

Somebody was tired.... time to go back to the hotel:

Whats the name of the restaurant, and where it is?

linetbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #80
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

I don't know the name of the restaurant, but when you enter Placa Reial from the entrance by La Rambla, it's right in front of you on the opposite side of the plaza.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #81
linetbo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't know the name of the restaurant, but when you enter Placa Reial from the entrance by La Rambla, it's right in front of you on the opposite side of the plaza.
Thanks, we are going next year and I am looking for some options.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #82
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

We really enjoyed a place in Barcelona called Guru. It's on Yelp or Trip Advisor if you want to look it up. It's not too far from the foot of La Rambla.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #83
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Since folks are planning their Mediterranean trips, I'm bumping my trip report!

Lots of photos and info, hope you enjoy!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #84
linetbo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thursday, August 8

Every morning, the Texas part of the family went across the street to the Dino Pan coffee shop for breakfast. (The California Stringers had breakfast at the hotel as part of their room rate.)

Fortified with "xocolate" and "caffe con leche" we walk down to the Columbus statue and get the Turtistica HOHO bus. These are the turquoise colored double-decker buses. I waffled back and forth over the red Barcelona City Tours or the city-sponsored Turistica buses because they were comparable in price and the routes. Both could be purchased online but the red ones required me to give my passport number and that just made me a little bit --- um, I dunno, trepidatious. So, I went with the blue ones.

And I have to throw in this photo cause it's one of the few I'm in:

Did you like the blue bus? I want to go to the barcelona soccer stadium, to the beach, church, and a museum.
And do they speak spanish, someone told me that they preferred to speak english whit tourist than spanish.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #85
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Yes, we were on the blue bus. There are headphones with many different languages and you listen to a prerecorded description. The bus went by the Olympic stadium but not the soccer stadium. They drive by the beach. (We walked to the beach later on our own.)

If in general, do people speak English, yes, all the touristy places do.

The bus goes by La Sagrada Familia but you must have timed tickets to get in.

If you want to see more of Barcelona, I highly recommend Runner Bean Tours. They will give you a walking tour of the old city, or Gaudi themed tour, and you pay what you wish.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #86
Travelbug22
Earning My Ears

love you report!

Thank you for taking time doing this report. It helps me a lot planning for our Med Cruise this Aug. I have few questions like to ask.

1. How did you go to Boqueria ? Is this one of the stop in the Blue bus?
2. How early did you book your tours with Kultours and Can't be missed tours? I saw the website for Can't missed tour , they are selling tickets to go inside the colosseum and Vatican Museum/ Sistine Chapel. Did you do this ? Do you think its worth it?

I'm traveling with 7 and 11 years old. Will it be too much walking for them? What do you think?

Thanks again.
Nancy
Travelbug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #87
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

We did a lot of walking on La Rambla. The Boqueria is about half way between the Columbus statue and the Plaša de Catalunya. You could go off the bus at either end and walk.

I booked with Kultours way in advance and send her a reminder email every once in a while to make sure we were still on. Ingrid is great, and very popular. I would book as soon as possible. She's worth it!

Can't Be Missed had earphones for us so we could hear the guide at the Colosseum and as we walked through the city. We didn't go into the Vatican Museums or Sistine Chapel because it was a national holiday and they were closed. It's very fast paced and you will use trains, buses and the subway. The tour guide told us he also works for Disney tours, so you're getting the same quality with fewer people for a lot less money.

It depends on your kids. Mine were 13 and 16. But we also had along my BIL who is an adult with Downs. There were other kids on the tour and they did fine. Just remember it's really, really hot.

I have a planning thread as well. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3100751

JoAnn

Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #88
princess333
Earning My Ears

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip report and I am considering doing a Med cruise in the middle of August next year.

We have done the Caribbean on the first week of September and it was very hot but I wondered how hot it actually was when you were in the Med as I'm not sure that my husband will be able to stick it if its to hot and with lots of walking. He will be 70 and has had a triple bypass and has an ankle that has been pinned after an accident many years ago so if the heat doesn't get to him maybe the walking will.
princess333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #89
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

There is no sugar coating it -- it's hot and humid, and I'm from Texas, so I know hot and humid. If you could go in the Spring or Fall, I'm sure it would be a different story, but August in the Mediterranean was pretty darn hot.

I also think it's not a matter of age so much as physical ability. My inlaws were 73 years old and they kept up just fine. (They have another cruise planned for this summer from Venice through the Greek Islands.)

The private tour we took in France with Ingrid can be customized for as little or as much walking as you want. We did a lot of walking that day on cobblestone streets of old towns, but if you want to see a few vistas and spend the day in a sidewalk cafe, I'm sure she could do that too.

We did Pisa on our own, and walked about a mile to the train station, then another mile to the Field of Miracles, then back again. You could do a ship excursion where the bus takes you there, or a private car and driver.

Rome with Can't Be Missed Tours was very fast paced and a variety of trains, subway, bus and walking. It doesn't sound like your husband could do that very well. That's another one I think I'd find a private car and driver if I were you.

The Amalfi Coast was mostly bus riding (which we were grateful for after Rome!) but Pompeii was hellaciously hot!

JoAnn

Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #90
princess333
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the reply. We are tied to either July or August if my eldest daughter comes with us as she can only get time off from work in the summer.

I think that the heat will be fine as we've been to Florida in mid summer and we've liked it so it's maybe more about the amount of walking, so if we put some thought into it I'm sure that we can make it more comfortable for my hubby and limit the walking.
princess333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: