Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #31
liv908
Earning My Ears

I felt the DCL food better dining experience than the Disney Parks.

Over 16 years ago I cruised Celebrity Cruise Line and Costa. Felt the food was great on these two lines. I do feel food was much better on Celebrity than DCL, but this is in comparison to 16 years ago. Not sure what CC food is like today.
I have not tried Palo/Remy and only dined in regular MDR's I must admit.
liv908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #32
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
I would love to know what Olive Garden you people eat at that is "just under" Palo. All the ones I've eaten at (back when I lived in suburbia and we didn't have good options) are gag-worthy while Palo was delicious!
I actually have never been to an Olive Garden. I don't believe they have any in Seattle. I was guessing what the Palo food would compare to.

Comparing it to an average run of the mill Italian restaurant in Seattle, Palo just doesn't cut it. I remember when the Palo server brought the Antipasto course out and started raving about the different meats and cheeses I thought this will be good. Wrong. It paled in comparison to the Italian meats I get at Whole Foods. Here in Seattle if you want good Antipasto you go to Salumi in Seattle. It is run by Mario Batali's father and the man is the king. I can't get enough of his meats.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Wow! Good to know. I'm going to Seattle to see Twinkie for my first trip ever out there next week! yay for Twinkie Week! (it only comes twice a year)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #34
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
Food taste better on the cruise because it's free unlike when I visit WDW.
Food and soda are not "free" on the cruise - they are included in your cruise fare. I didn't just pay $3800 for a cabin and everything else they are throwing in "for free".
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #35
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Food and soda are not "free" on the cruise - they are included in your cruise fare. I didn't just pay $3800 for a cabin and everything else they are throwing in "for free".
My comment was made in jest.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post

Nothing in life is free not even "free dining" at WDW but it sure feels more like free when you can get refills and are not constantly signing slips reminding you how much your spending. I think most people are educated enough to realize that anything labeled as "free" has simply been included in the cost elsewhere.

Other cruise lines have "soda cards" and that does not feel free at all.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
Other cruise lines have "soda cards" and that does not feel free at all.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
On RCCL, I purchased my soda card before the cruise so it was included in my cruise fare. I still didn't consider it "free" but it was no different than DCL (except that on RCCL, the flavour choices were diverse and there were over 100 flavours of soda/beverages to choose from).
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #38
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Yay! 'Free' pizza for everyone!

~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #39
DannyDisneyFreak
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

I would say that Cabanas beats any WDW buffet hands down, except for breakfast I think you can get a better breakfast in WDW like Boma or Crystal Palace are my favorite for breakfast.

Pizza on the ship was 1000 times better than any pizza in WDW!!!

The MDRs I think have a slight lead compared to overall dining in WDW but if you look at specific WDW restaurants there are some I would prefer, like Via Napoli, Ohana, and Boma in my opinion are all better than the MDRs. Theming has a lot to do with the dining experience also. WDW restaurants are much better themed, even AP I'm not really impressed with. Although being in AP on pirates night I thought was better than the normal experience.

I've never eaten at Palo or the other one, I really don't like dressing up and being able to wear shorts to dinner makes my food taste better.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #40
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

The pizza on the ship was good. I STILL LOVE Pizzafari at AK. Its tradition. We just have to go. I suffer the consequences for DCL pizza & Pizzafari. (bring my handydandy probiotics.)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
DannyDisneyFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDisneyFreak View Post
I would say that Cabanas beats any WDW buffet hands down, except for breakfast I think you can get a better breakfast in WDW like Boma or Crystal Palace are my favorite for breakfast.

Pizza on the ship was 1000 times better than any pizza in WDW!!!

The MDRs I think have a slight lead compared to overall dining in WDW but if you look at specific WDW restaurants there are some I would prefer, like Via Napoli, Ohana, and Boma in my opinion are all better than the MDRs. Theming has a lot to do with the dining experience also. WDW restaurants are much better themed, even AP I'm not really impressed with. Although being in AP on pirates night I thought was better than the normal experience.

I've never eaten at Palo or the other one, I really don't like dressing up and being able to wear shorts to dinner makes my food taste better.
Oh I have to correct myself, Pizza at Via napoli is the best but I am comparing pizza on the ship to "fast food" type pizza.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #42
DannyDisneyFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
The pizza on the ship was good. I STILL LOVE Pizzafari at AK. Its tradition. We just have to go. I suffer the consequences for DCL pizza & Pizzafari. (bring my handydandy probiotics.)
Pizzafari isn't horrible... it's edible and even tasty but not better than Lugi's.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #43
hobbes493
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post

Yes I though Palo on the Wonder was pretty weak. Better than Olive Garden, but not by much.
You stated in a separate post that you have never been to Olive Garden. How can you make a seemingly educated comparison to something that you have no personal experience with?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #44
MISSREBECCA76
"Hello, My Name is Rebecca, and I have a Disney Problem!"

I never understand why people complain about DCL food. The variety and quality are excellent. While it might not be five star dining it is a few steps above a chain restaurant. The service is almost always terrific too. My only complaint is the lack of late night options. I wish they offered a small dessert buffet or something.
I don't get what the fuss is about when it comes to Palo. We did brunch there on our last cruise and we were not impressed. The service & the view were wonderful the food was not.

1999 SOG First ever WDW Trip (with my HOT college bf, who is now my HOT husband!)2001 SOG Honeymoon trip 2009 CRB First trip with the kiddos in tow, grandparents too! 2011 OKW Santa was good to us, so kids, grandparents and even a great grandparent made the trip! 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins 2012 Disney Dream- our first of many DCL experiences!2012 Beach Club
MISSREBECCA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #45
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
I would love to know what Olive Garden you people eat at that is "just under" Palo. All the ones I've eaten at (back when I lived in suburbia and we didn't have good options) are gag-worthy while Palo was delicious!

I love Olive Garden.....but it varies from place to place, there is one very close to my house but I will still drive further. It depends on the chef.. IMO...a great chef can make canned tomatoes taste fresh......I haven't had Palo would like to try it.... I love Italian there are some wonderful momma and pop shops I prefer over chains.....chains are fast and convenient.

I remembered the MDR and my husband not liking the steak... I asked him what does he expect? We're on a boat and our port is close to seafood....stick with the seafood. He is picky with his steaks because he grew up in Nebraska.... I thought the steak was fine not as tender but I really enjoyed the risotto dishes and the fish dishes . He compares everything to NE...drives me nuts because we live in KC...corn feed vs hay feed....

My son was a very very picky eater, he's just a picky eater now... But the MDRs we felt like our son ate more on the ship the whole 2 months prior. It was sad day for us parents when we came back home....

But to me anything eatable and I am not having to cook tastes good..... Lol...jk. I try not to have my hopes up about the food so when something surprises me I am WOW ed and not disappointed... (Not to be confused with expectations)
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: