Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
61maris61
Mouseketeer

Cruise Food VS Disney World Food

This has probably been addressed before, but I'm wondering: so many people seem to complain about the food on Disney cruises (we did the Dream last December and I was perfectly satisfied), but I personally think the food is a step above what I've had at Disney World, and also comparable to other cruise lines.

What's your opinion?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

I think it depends on where you eat when at WDW.

If you're comparing DCL food against character buffets at WDW, then yes, I'd say they are similar with a bit of nod to DCL.

If you're comparing DCL to some of the better sit down restaurants (and I'm not just counting 2 credit or specialty dining) than WDW food can win hands down.

If you're comparing fast food on the ship to fast food at WDW, I'd give the nod to DCL for quality but the nod to WDW for variety.

I'd say that most cruises are similar to each other food wise though individual tastes will dictate which line's food people prefer. There are individual dishes I find very good on DCL but the same is true for each cruiseline I've been on (DCL, Carnival and RCCL).
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Unless you are at the Wave Contemporary or eating ethnic at EPCOT, it's not the greatest. I have my favorites (Pizzafari at AK when the service isn't backed up, but we struggled at HS and MK... Be Our Guest is a madhouse as nice as it might be...)

Cruise dining definitely superior. (Square hash brown the only obvious exception.)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Cruise food is banquet cooking, that is, cooking for hundreds of people at one time, hence the very limited menus. Unless you are talking palo, table service at WDW in general is better.
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
crisi
DIS Veteran

We tend to eat Signature at Disney - Disney is better - it isn't banquet cooking because they don't feed several hundred people the same beef dish at the same time, therefore it gets to you fresher - not something that spent time under heat lamps.

Its on par or a little better than one credit restaurants at Disney.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
SZ2016
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Unless you are at the Wave Contemporary or eating ethnic at EPCOT, it's not the greatest. I have my favorites (Pizzafari at AK when the service isn't backed up, but we struggled at HS and MK... Be Our Guest is a madhouse as nice as it might be...)

Cruise dining definitely superior. (Square hash brown the only obvious exception.)
I love those hash browns and always look for them lol
SZ2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
KnightRail
Mouseketeer

I think cruise food is better and in my opinion has more variety. I tend to eat healthier and I feel like its extremely hard to do at WDW unless I want to fork over the extra bucks. On the cruise I don't have to fork over any extra money, so I see it as better. Especially with the fast-food aspect. Everything at the parks I feel is deep fried this or that, on the Dream I was able to get wraps and salad from Filmore's. Also LOVED the polenta cakes at Cabanas <3
Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

That is disappointing! I thought cruise food was supposed to be good in theMDRs. I usually eat at signature restaurants at WDW...
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
I think it depends on where you eat when at WDW.

If you're comparing DCL food against character buffets at WDW, then yes, I'd say they are similar with a bit of nod to DCL.

If you're comparing DCL to some of the better sit down restaurants (and I'm not just counting 2 credit or specialty dining) than WDW food can win hands down.

If you're comparing fast food on the ship to fast food at WDW, I'd give the nod to DCL for quality but the nod to WDW for variety.

I'd say that most cruises are similar to each other food wise though individual tastes will dictate which line's food people prefer. There are individual dishes I find very good on DCL but the same is true for each cruiseline I've been on (DCL, Carnival and RCCL).
This is the best summary regarding WDW v DCL food.

Also, we've found that the food quality/flavor varies from ship to ship (and even Palo to Palo). With the exception of Remy, we think that overall the MDR and Palo food on the Magic is better than on the Wonder or on the Dream. Haven't been on the Fantasy just yet.

We did Palo twice on the Wonder (2 separate trips) and just *didn't get* what everyone was raving about. On our last Palo trip on the Magic, we were blown away. Even the preparation of the same dishes was a bit different.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We did Palo twice on the Wonder (2 separate trips) and just *didn't get* what everyone was raving about.
Yes I though Palo on the Wonder was pretty weak. Better than Olive Garden, but not by much.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Greatfalls
Mouseketeer

My family are big fans of Cabanas for breakfast and lunch. There's a large selection and all the prepared foods are fresh, including really good eggs benedict. For the sit down, the waiters are very valuable. They will steer you away from entrees that miss the mark.
Greatfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZ2016 View Post

I love those hash browns and always look for them lol
Ditto. They are one of my guilty 'cruise' pleasures.
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatfalls View Post
My family are big fans of Cabanas for breakfast and lunch. There's a large selection and all the prepared foods are fresh, including really good eggs benedict. For the sit down, the waiters are very valuable. They will steer you away from entrees that miss the mark.
Totally agree! We were more than satisfied with the food on the Fantasy last year, including Palo brunch and dinner! And I always trust the servers recommendations.
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

That's really an unfair comparison, because World has so many options that the ships don't have. I would have to say World by a landslide. If you want a steak, you can go to California Grill, LeCellier, or Yatchsman. The ships couldn't possibly have that many options because of size limitations.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Last edited by EPCOTatNight; 08-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.
EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
We tend to eat Signature at Disney - Disney is better - it isn't banquet cooking because they don't feed several hundred people the same beef dish at the same time, therefore it gets to you fresher - not something that spent time under heat lamps.

Its on par or a little better than one credit restaurants at Disney.
I tend to agree, but don't get me wrong, we enjoy eating in the MDRs.
But when dining at WDW, at restaurants like the; Flying Fish, Shula's, The Yachtsman, Bluezoo & Victoria & Albert's, the MDRs just don't compare. You'll need to jump up to Palo & Remy to be on the same level. Just my 2 cents worth.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: