Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
BlueGiraffe
DIS Veteran

Restaurant Recommendations

Hi all. I'm new here and this is my first post.

My hubby and I are taking our children to Disney World next August (they'll be 4 and 2). We have both been before and this will be our 6th trip, but we always find ourselves eating in the same places: The Commissary at HS, Tusker House at AK, Morocco at Epcot, and Pinocchio Village Haus at MK. We also liked Boma when we stayed at AK Lodge.

This will be our last visit for a good few years and really want to make the most of it and do as many new things as possible.

We're staying at Coronado Springs for 4 nights before going to a privately rented villa. We plan to go to the character breakfast at Chef Mickey's too.

So my question is, does anyone have any recommendations? Are there great places to eat that we've been missing out on?

Thanks for any help!!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

One of my favorite restaurants on property is the Biergarten in Epcot/Germany. The beers are enormous and fantastic, good is great, and there is a live band who plays every hour. We love the food there as well.

Another favorite, if you are interested in a great breakfast, is Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. They have amazing coffee, it's a very relaxing decor, and the food is delicious.

If you are looking for a great counter service, one of my favorites is Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom. We are also excited to try the new Be Our Guest counter service in Magic Kingdom.

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
My_Pal_Pluto
Proud DisDad

WOOT ... Disney planning ... there's nothing more fun (well, ok, so actually BEING there is the BEST ... but still)

Giving this some thought, there are sooooo many great food options at Disney - but our family can definitely identify with the desire to choose some really special places - including good to great food and matching atmosphere!! Here are some of our favorite memory-making places:

AK - Flame Tree Barbecue - this is a great mid-day stop for tasty barbecue, some eclectic choices, but especially because of the awesome extensive seating area behind the restaurant. Seriously, go explore and pick a spot that makes you smile.

MK - we love the patio area outside of Tortuga's Tavern ... try to sit near to the entrance (the Air Conditioning flows out and makes this a GREAT spot for extensive people-watching) ... oh, and if Tortuga's is closed, don't fret - go next door to Pecos Bill's and get your food and bring it back to the patio.

HS - If you're desiring to keep things Counter Service, head to "The Backlot Express" - fun theming and props make this a solid stop. However, if you're REALLY seeking to make some memories, put "50's Prime Time Cafe" at the top of your list. Kids have an awesome time at this restaurant - be sure to behave a little "over the top". Once your server knows you're good with shenanigans, they'll make it one of your most memorable meals at Disney (with awesome fried chicken to boot).

Epcot - ditto on the last comment about Biergarten - the food is fun but safe enough to feel familiar ... the atmosphere is great and when the band strikes up their tunes, there's not a single face void of a smile.

Hope whatever you choose, it ends up being a wonderfully memorable time.

The New PTR: OOG-Uhhhh-Chokka! Hooked on a (Disney) Feeling

Fort Wilderness 1978 ...Poly 1982, 1986, 1990 ... Port Orleans 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998 ...
All Star Movies 2000 Pop 2006, 2008 ... Port Orleans French Quarter 2010, 2012 ...All Star Music 2015

My_Pal_Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
WDWScottWDW
Earning My Ears

On MK days my wife and I like to get out of the park for a little while and go to Kona in Poly or the Grand Floridian Café. Just take the monorail to both, they are really nice places to unwind for a little while.

Also the Captains grill in the Yacht Club is a really nice sit-down lunch or dinner and is easy to get to from Epcot if you use the boat at World Showcase.
WDWScottWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

Are you looking for Table Service (TS) or Counter Service (CS)? Also, were you looking to try a slightly kid friendly Signature Restaurant? Give some thoughts on these and I can recommend some places for you.

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
BlueGiraffe
DIS Veteran

TS or CS, we don't mind. We were just looking to do something we hadn't done before, and have nice food and a fun time to boot.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

So here are some of my favorites at the various locations for you to take a look at:

MK: Be Our Guest DINNER (TS) atmosphere alone is worth it...note that lunch lets you in but it is only a counter service, Pecos Bills (CS) good burgers, Plaza (TS), Liberty Tree Tavern (TS) lots of good comfort food

DHS: 50's Prime Time Cafe (TS) great time and funny wait staff, wonderful pot roast (1st choice), not a real fan of what DHS offers past that however the next two locations offer great food and it is only a boat ride away

Boardwalk- Flying Fish (TS Signature) really good food

Beach Club- Yachtsman (TS Signature) best steaks

EC- Le Cellier (TS Signature) Steak, Teppan Edo (TS) Hibachi Japanese really good, Tutto Italia (TS) wonderful Italian, San Angel Inn (TS) Mexican, Rose and Crown (TS) good fish and chips

As far as fun for the kids and assuming they eat everything (Haha) I would suggest the following from the list above: Tepan Edo, 50's Prime Time, Be Our Guest. Another one that people like (however I do not) is Sci Fi at DHS. That is fun however, unless they have improved the food you are paying for atmosphere but it is worth looking into anyway.

That should get you started...take a look and if you have specific questions let us know!

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
PrincessWhite
Earning My Ears

My family's favorites are:

MK-Crystal Palace breakfast. (Try to get a prepark opening ADR!)
EP-Via Napoli. They have fantastic pizza!
HS-50's Prime Time Cafe. Great comfort food and amazing desserts!
AK-We have eaten at Rainforest cafe and for atmosphere it's great and the food wasn't bad just tasted like chain restaurant food.
PrincessWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Since you like Boma and the Moroccan restaurants, I would definitely suggest Sanaa. It's Indian inspired and very good. If you go for an early meal, your kids can watch the animals on the savannah from the restaurant. It's my favorite casual dining restaurant at WDW.

I also recommend Biergarten. I'm not a huge fan of buffets but I do love this one. The food is good and the live music and dance floor are so much fun for the kids.

Inside MK, I think BOG offers above average food in a marvelous environment.

If you want to go a little upscale, Flying Fish is a great restaurant and has a nice environment that would make it easier for young ones to sit through a little longer meal.

Raglan Road at DTD has live music, Irish dancers and a great pub menu.

My family loves Sci Fi and we have a tendency to eat there more than many other places. The food (burgers) isn't that great but the atmosphere is fun. 50s Prime Time has better food but we don't care for the atmosphere as much as we like Sci Fi.

I think Tusker House is the best at AK so I would keep that in your rotation.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Some fun places for little kids:

CP--great location in MK which is where you will spend most of your park time. There is a smaller buffett table that kids can reach; my kids love it!

Biergarten--as other pp have said, the band is fun and my kids are always out on the dance floor whooping it up.

Teppan Edo--my kids loved watching them cook the food in front of us and especially liked the onion volcano.

HDDR--my kids have loved this show at all ages. It's just lots of fun and they get to play washboards and wave their napkins.

Hope this helps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: