Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #46
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Quote:
Maelstromers? What's a Maelstromer?
It's a fastpass...

It's nice to see you, Zzub. Your pictures are amazing. I especially loved the early morning shots.

That bread pudding photo, though, only made my mouth water for Raglan Road's version, the best dessert on Disney property. I love me some Ohana BBP, but Raglan Road's will bring tears to your eyes and make you slap your mama. Twice.

And McCarron? I know he's thanking his lucky stars for his defense today. Butch Jones 2015!
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #47
ZZUB
Roll Tide, Mean It

Location: If I'm not at Monk's, check the Hawk & Dove, or else I'm playing tetherball

Here's some more Polynesian pictures for those of you who can't get enough:

We were quite enamored of the pool. I think we spent more time at the pool this trip than in any prior trip. There's some quintessentially Disney World about the Polynesian Resort, and that's especially true at the pool.

But we really enjoyed just being there. NOBethandDavid.

A not-so-hidden Mickey.

Made you want to throw out your trash:

Arriving on Magic Express:

Don't be sucked in by how good this looks. Both ZZUBY and Li'l ZZUB declared this gross.

You'll notice the bottle of antibacterial on the table. Cause that's how the ZZUBs roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa View Post
This was a horrible review! Especially when it comes to THIS little ...thing. That broke my heart....We loved the water slide?! Really? That's it? No Waterslide Olympics?! What's up with that, ZZUB? I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Your disappointment is amusing. Rest assured young La2 that ZZUBY and I did in fact compete in the waterslide olympics and, once again, I was awarded the gold medal. But since this is a resort review and not a Trip Report (perish the thought), I didn't pour out all of the minutiae of our trip. Ain't nobody got time for that.

This is actually of the quiet pool. We never swam there. If I wanted quiet, I'd go sit in Hall of Presidents. But it did look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Great review! I really enjoyed your great pics! We check in CL here on 9/8 and I cannot wait! The Poly has been our happy place and after the yr we have had, heck after the day I had yesterday, we are really really looking fwd to it!! Going back to look at your pics again! lol
I added some more, although I'm guessing you've already been there and back and have your own pictures now. I'll look forward to seeing yours posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouJohnson View Post
I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa AND I'm a huge poly fan...which makes your review like the best ever! 53 days and counting until I am there. No online check in for me, so they won't stick me in some old room.
Roll Tide! I don't know if online check in was to blame, and fact was, they were able to accommodate us in the room we wanted if we were willing to wait. I think the key at any Disney hotel is arrive early so they can switch you if you don't like your room location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby5514 View Post
Hey Zzub!
Hey Shelby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzma and Kronk View Post
Hey Zzub!!!

It's pronounced, "Ahhh - tay - errr - Oh - ah" (Maori name for New Zealand
Hi Yak! That's too hard. It was more fun to make up ways to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshClan View Post
Z, I must agree with my girl LaLa. That waterslide review was about as lame as you can get.
ASHCLAN!!!!! My all time favorite screename! As you are surely aware, there are things far lamer than my terse recitation about the waterslide. Being lured down to the mess on the promise that the all night pastry chef will have something for you only to discover there is no all night pastry chef is far lamer. And so is the Newsroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post

It's a fastpass...

It's nice to see you, Zzub. Your pictures are amazing. I especially loved the early morning shots.

That bread pudding photo, though, only made my mouth water for Raglan Road's version, the best dessert on Disney property. I love me some Ohana BBP, but Raglan Road's will bring tears to your eyes and make you slap your mama. Twice.
Hi Jamal! And now I must venture back to sample this goodness you describe. For our family, it's always a toss up between Ohana and Yak and Yeti (Hi Yak!) for best desserts. Since we avoid Downtown Disney, we've never been to Raglan Road. Maybe we'll change that.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'they are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by ZZUB; 09-14-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Hadn't looked at this board in a few weeks. I didn't know so many old friends had dropped by.
ZZUB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #48
Frickles
Missed the wooo hoooty for a phone call
I say keep the squirrel and dress him up and use him as an accessory

I just stumbled on this little beauty. Enjoyed your photos of the gorgeous Poly! Sorry the Tide didn't Roll as far as they wanted to this year. Mr. Frick is still hurting from it, and tripping over his lower lip. What position did you play again?

You didn't eat at Kona? Were you snacking on Cherry PopTarts from your snack drawer?

My guess is that the Zzub's will stay at the Beach Club next. I know you want to be within walking distance of the Maelstrom. It's a Fastpass!
Frickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #49
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZUB View Post

We are just back from an amazing week at the Polynesian Resort. We stayed here once when I was a little kid but I have very few memories of that trip. I remember having a lagoon view. And I remember going to the luau and I remember all of us getting puca shells. Which is mainly remarkable because we actually got souvenirs. That was unusual in our family growing up.

Since about 2005, we've visited the Polynesian Resort on every trip to WDW, usually to have a meal at Kona and/or Ohana (which means family). On our last few trips to WDW, we've stayed at the Contemporary and recently Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both great resorts by the way. But we were interested in trying out the Polynesian primarily because we wanted a larger room than the ones found at AKL and we wanted the ease of the Monorail to/from both the MK and Epcot.

In planning our trip, we benefited an awful lot from the info we found here and on Tikiman's site (that dude has some serious Polynesian info!). Before our trip, we couldn't get enough of the pictures we found. So in the interest of paying back, I'm going to spill some of our pictures and info on other people.

I had read that online check-in was advantageous, especially if you wanted your room ready early. Having never used it, we gave it a whirl. And, indeed, our room was ready when we arrived at 11:00 am. Unfortunately, we received the exact opposite of what we'd requested. And moreover, although online check-in gives you the option of having your room ready v. your room preferences and we chose preferences over availability, that was not what occurred. It wasn't the end of the world, of course. It wasn't like losing to Texas A&M at home (which apparently didn't effect us at all!). We just explained that we'd prefer a renovated room with a balcony and we were prepared to wait for it.

Which we did.

But it was worth it. For our money, we'd rather wait a few hours for the room we wanted rather than getting right away a room we'd hate. Delayed gratification is its own reward.

I'm kind of indifferent to the room decor. We mainly wanted a renovated room b/c it would be in good working order and not all broken down and worn out. Like Notre Dame's defense.

The room felt large to us after being at AKL. There is a significant difference. But I reckon we liked the bathroom set up at the CR better b/c the toilet has its own room.

We were in Aotearoa, 3d floor facing the Monorail track.

Spent a week there and never once pronounced it the same way twice. Or correctly. I'm pretty sure it's not "air torah."

Housekeeping was amazing! The best housekeeping we've ever had at Disney World (which is not much of a compliment, is it?) It was so good, I actually stopped at the front desk to commend our housekeeper to the manager.

I'm not all that impressed with these things, but I know other people think they're like free chocolate and, therefore, essential. We had towel animals almost every day.

The pool was fantastic, if a bit warm.

We loved the water slide.

We did find the pool a little on the crowded side, but an unusual thing happened. About 2 days into our trip, we started seeing CMs asking for room IDs and then they'd hand out wrist bands. Curiously, every time that happened, the pool got a LOT less crowded. Weird, huh?

Even so, we never had a problem finding a place to put our stuff in some shade. One day, we offered half our table and chairs to another family to use b/c we were all in the pool and didn't need all that space anyway. Two days later, another family shared with us. Reaping and sowing. We sure appreciated people showing us that kindness in return.

Before we got to the Polynesian Resort, I didn't fully appreciate how cool it would be to swim in the pool and be able to see the MK. It's flippin' awesome! Especially when you're up on the top of the slide platform. There's something very Disney about seeing Space Mountain before you throw yourself into one of the coolest non-water-park slides in the World.

We also enjoyed watching the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes! from the beach, but only did that one night. Serious bugs made it all less desirable than getting run into on Mainstreet.

Capt Cooks was very convenient and the food was pretty dadgummed good. For a quick service place. But let's face it, the best part of it was the quick availability of these little beauties:

It was funny watching people build these HUGE towers of Dole Whip.

I was up early most mornings and grabbed our mugs to head over to Capt Cooks for coffee. One morning, I took the camera along with me.

If the place is beautiful in the full daylight, and it is, it's even more spectacular at sunrise. The whole place is breathtaking. Did Karl Farbman design it?

Disney World itself has a handful of issues. Magic Band. Fastpass+ The crowds. The good-for-nothing My Disney Experience App. Rides that break. Etc. But I don't think we could find one negative thing to say about the Polynesian Resort. It was clean. It was quiet. It was pretty to look at. It had really great transportation options, too. Even though our longhouse was on the opposite end of the TTC, it wasn't that bad a walk there to catch the Monorail. I just kept telling myself they had funnel cakes there, so I walked fast. (Nb. there are no funnel cakes sold at the TTC). Heck, even the bus service was good! I know that the Polynesian has nothing to do with that, but still, the two mornings we had to take the bus, we walked up to the stop and our bus came rolling in.

For whatever my opinion is worith, I'm giving the Polynesian my strongest recommendation. It really was a great place to stay and the high point of our trip was coming back there every night. Also, when you stay there, you're never too far from this little gift from God: the best dessert available on Disney property

Hope y'all enjoyed this review. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice report ZZUB. I don’t particularly like online check in either and I have never had a long wait doing regular check in.

As for how to pronounce Aotearoa you can go to each of my longhouse pages and listed to it being pronounced.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: