Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
ZZUB
Roll Tide, Mean It

Location: If I'm not at Monk's, check the Hawk & Dove, or else I'm playing tetherball

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.t. View Post
I have a question, What was the score of the A&M game? (Gig 'Em) * * * * Any recommendations for Kona?
To quote the "smartest woman who's ever lived," "What possible difference can it make at this point?!" We won the game that mattered 42-14. To your more relevant question, we only ever eat at Kona for breakfast and we actually ended up cancelling our Kona reservation this trip. Seems heretical in hindsight but at the time, none of us were in the mood for a big slab of Tonga Toast. You actually can secure that from Capt Cooks but we didn't even order it there. Our breakfasts were less sweet this trip. Which makes me wonder how long before we turn into the kind of people who eat Kashi while riding on Kilimanjaro Safari. Nevertheless, if you eat at Kona for breakfast, you should order the Tonga Toast. And bacon. You'll need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger4me2 View Post
Thanks for a great trip report May I ask if you had a garden room? Was there any construction going on? Going back & forth with the CR & Poly. DH is not sure due to the construction. Thanks !
We had a standard/garden view. If construction was going on, we didn't see it anywhere. But your mileage may vary. Check Tikiman's site for updates on construction. We may have been there during a lull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
I'm curious, did it rain while you were there?
We had rain one afternoon but we were in our room and it was done before we left for dinner. Actually, we had an amazing week of weather for August in Disney World. But if it had rained, I imagine that would have been lousy. Unless you're in the Tonga suites, any building you're in will force you to walk outside to get to the GCH and the Monorail. That's one thing CR, AKL and WL have over the Polynesian. But since it didn't rain on us, we enjoyed the walk to the GCH.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'they are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11

ZZUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
Great review and pictures.

I'm curious, did it rain while you were there? Our stay was marred by the afternoon showers every day. Having to walk from our longhouse (Tokelau) to the main building in the rain was not fun. Carrying back food from Captain Cook's in the rain was worse (family liked eating in the room).

It really made me appreciate the resorts that have most of their facilities in one building.

The new decor would probably have helped as it's much brighter and cheerful than what we had in 2001.
Take the longhouse route next time, lol! If you co e out the GCH to ratonga and take that to the end the you can get to Tokelau, one end. You will still get wet though but it's better then nothing,
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Jrabbit910
Keep Calm and get your Sparkle on!!

Thanks for the review and I am actually looking forward to waking up early w/ my camera for pics! I just love the peacefulness and it really shows in your pics too! btw: whats that yummy looking dessert and where can I get it?

Jrabbit910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
klmall
DIS Veteran

Nice review and wonderful pictures of sunrises! Poly is our favorite resort too and when money isn't a big issue it's where we'll stay in the future. We had a fantastic stay in December 2011 in the longhouse that's almost connected to the Ceremonial House on the right side and since we were on the ground floor and opposite the monorail we really had no noise and no view but NO PROBLEM! This might be our resort again if we go in December 2014.

~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Big O
Earning My Ears

We were also there at the same time, 08/07 to 08/10. We had a bottom floor room, 1913, with a private patio that opened onto a grassy area behind a row of hedges. It was very quiet there and peaceful there. The Poly is our favorite now.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
goofynut41
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrabbit910 View Post
Thanks for the review and I am actually looking forward to waking up early w/ my camera for pics! I just love the peacefulness and it really shows in your pics too! btw: whats that yummy looking dessert and where can I get it?
I wanna know too!!!! Whats that DESSERT!!!!!

goofynut41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
CT Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailsilver View Post
OMG, we were there the same time as you.

How do I know that? In one of your pool picture there is a lady to the right with a red white and blue cover up. She was there for a week and her week ended on Saturday the 10th. We were there from the 3rd thru 12th.

And in both pool pictures I see my husband. If you look at the poles surrounding the pool closest to you (the bubble fake hot tub area), go to the second pole from the right and he is just to the right of the pole. Like his face is touching it.

In the second pool picture he is between poles 3 and 4 from the right. Smack dab in the middle of the poles and rope. He isn't the guy with the shirt on but it is blurry but his hair, well what hair he has on top is dark and the sides are gray. My youngest dd is right next to him to the left with goggles on. And I think my oldest dd has her face in the water right by them and my ds must be on the slide. I may be the girl with long brown hair sitting in the fake hot tub. But I am. It 100% sure.

Oh and my dd had towering dole whips. She quite a few comments made to her as to how big and how great of a job she did.

OMG...my DH and I are both in that pool picture too! Sitting on that heavenly little bench that is in the pool, on the edge, close to the pool slide! We are the ones sitting just to the right of the stairs. My DH is in the middle of 2 poles, and I am sitting in front of a pole.

So funny, Monorailsilver, that we were right near each other!

Last edited by CT Disney; 08-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
CT Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
CT Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Disney View Post
OMG...my DH and I are both in that pool picture too! Sitting on that heavenly little bench that is in the pool, on the edge, close to the pool slide! We are the ones sitting just to the right of the stairs. My DH is in the middle of 2 poles, and I am sitting in front of a pole.

Sorry to quote my own post...

OP, is there any way I can get a copy of your 2nd pool picture? Since my DH and I are in it...I'd love to have a copy. Sitting in that spot in the pool is seriously one of the best memories I have from our trip. I've visited it many times in my mind over the last few weeks! It's cool to see a pic of both my DH and I sitting there. It's a very cool memory!

Would you know how to send me the full size image (if that's OK with you?) You could PM me. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
ZZUB
Roll Tide, Mean It

Location: If I'm not at Monk's, check the Hawk & Dove, or else I'm playing tetherball

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofynut41 View Post
I wanna know too!!!! Whats that DESSERT!!!!!
Bread pudding with banana fosters sauce. They serve it at Ohana (which means family). If I could go there and only eat pot stickers and the bread pudding, I'd gladly do it. The mango pie and fried won tons at Yak and Yeti are really good, but this dessert narrowly edges it out.

Quote:
Sorry to quote my own post...

OP, is there any way I can get a copy of your 2nd pool picture? Since my DH and I are in it...I'd love to have a copy. Sitting in that spot in the pool is seriously one of the best memories I have from our trip. I've visited it many times in my mind over the last few weeks! It's cool to see a pic of both my DH and I sitting there. It's a very cool memory!

Would you know how to send me the full size image (if that's OK with you?) You could PM me. Thanks!
I'm amazed that I posted a picture that two Disboarders are in! Can you right click the image and save a copy?
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'they are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Old 08-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
CT Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZUB View Post
I'm amazed that I posted a picture that two Disboarders are in! Can you right click the image and save a copy?
I did try that earlier. I can save the image, but it is pretty low resolution and a little blurry. I wonder if anyone has an ideas, or if you could PM it to me? Not sure how to go about it. If you don't know...no worries...no big deal!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is too funny!

I wonder if I have any pool pictures of anyone. I only took pictures 2 days at the pool. Saturday the 3rd and maybe Monday the 5th or Wednesday the 7th. My dd opened the slide on Saturday the 10th.

Plus my serenity pictures early mornings sitting there and no one in the pool..well eventually me.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
ready2cmickeymouse
Mouseketeer

!!!Roll Tide !!!

Thanks for the great review. We usually stay @ the CR but your review makes me think we might want to give Poly a try. Thanks again. Roll Tide!
ready2cmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

I truly appreciate your review of the Poly. Even though, I'm an AGGIE! WHOOP@! We're looking at staying there in January, so I love to hear the great reviews!

TX Momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
ZZUB
Roll Tide, Mean It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2cmickeymouse View Post
Thanks for the great review. We usually stay @ the CR but your review makes me think we might want to give Poly a try. Thanks again. Roll Tide!
I think you'll like the Polynesian. I was hesitant to try it b/c I'm such a fan of the CR. It reminded me a lot of my initial impressions of AJ McCarron. In my mind, he was never going to be a Greg McElroy. I was right. Greg only won one NC, AJ's won two. While I won't say the Polynesian is better than the CR, it did excel over the CR in multiple ways. RTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Momof2 View Post
I truly appreciate your review of the Poly. Even though, I'm an AGGIE! WHOOP@!
We all have our crosses to bear, don't we? Here's hoping Johnny Hangover will still be eligible to play when Bama comes to town on September 14th.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #30
Crazy Kanga
DIS Veteran

Oh ZZUB how I've missed you! RTR! And I'm sad to say I was in T Town for that game. but it's all good! We are planning on Poly for our next trip.
Crazy Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: