Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #16
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POP for two days before checking into POFQ a couple of weeks ago. It was our first stay there and we really enjoyed it. I would definitely stay there again.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #17
kathy884
DIS Veteran

They are basic rooms with larger than life icons, things like that. Unless you have a special reason to want to stay at one of the values or a strong desire to give up a little on accommodations and still stay onsite with a lower budget, you'd probably prefer to stay with what you've been doing.

Our first onsite stay with DS was at the Contemporary, and he just loved it with the monorail coming though and our great balcony. I loved staying deluxe. I especially liked seeing the water electrical parade each night from our private balcony and visiting with my family out there. Then DS became a huge Herbie the Love bug fan, and on the behind the scenes feature of one of the movies he found out about the All Star Movie resort Herbie building (value resort) and asked if we could stay there on our next Disney trip. I was a little apprehensive based on having stayed deluxe the previous time, but booked this, and OMG, my son was in his glory. He loved the Herbie statues, the special wall paper, the photos from the different movies. To make sure they would give us the Herbie building we had him come in wearing a Herbie the Love Bug shirt and carrying a Herbie the Love Bug car, and they gave us a great room there. His excitement made staying in these basic accommodations for a few days very worthwhile. His enthusiasm was so contagious. // So if you have a kid or grandkid that his a huge fan of a value theme, that might be a reason to stay there too. // Sort of like staying at Graceland with an Elvis fan rather than a four star hotel in the area.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
scjo68
DIS Veteran

To answer your question, OP, yes-we never thought we would stay in a Value. However, We are now at Pop, for our first Value stay, and we are really enjoying it.

The room is fairly small, but is really fine for us-family of four. The double beds are fine. I do miss having the coffee pot. I actually brought my Keuing from home, since I need my coffee as soon as I get up. It was sort of a pain to pack up to bring, but we drove here, so we had plenty of space to pack it.

If a resort does not appeal to you, that's fine. Decide which features you have to have, and stay wherever those features are offered.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR, Aug. 2014 POP
scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #19
bookgirl2632
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed at the Values. I have only stayed at the Moderates. As much as I would love to stay Deluxe, it's just something that I can't justify on my budget. For me to stay Deluxe, it would mean cutting back on the length of the vacation. I'd rather have more days. For our next trip, we are considering POP or ASMo for the first time. It would save us just a little more money. I've looked at countless pictures, read any threads about them here, and watched YouTube videos of each online. They look like they are great fun. I'm sure if we decide to stay in one of them, we'll miss the Southern charm of POR and POFQ. We'll miss the tropical nature of CBR. But we will be at Disney for the first time in a long while. We'll be happy no matter where we stay. I know that for a fact.

1976 Offsite 1990 Offsite in Kissimmee 2001 CBR 2006 POR 2010 HRH

Last edited by bookgirl2632; 08-21-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling
bookgirl2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #20
pokanos
Earning My Ears

The moderate resorts fit our budget and have the amenities that we like on vacation. We like the larger beds, the landscaping, and that they have a hot tub and water slide for dd. I don't know that we could ever afford to do a full trip deluxe. So when it's time to plan our next trip, I think it would be great to try a value (ASMusic) and stay there for 5 nights, and then enjoy 3 nights at AKL. Do the long park days while we are at the value, and then slow it down for the end of our trip and enjoy the resort. That trips 2.5 years away, though, because we are only 73 days away from an 11 day trip @ CSR!!
pokanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #21
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Our 1st stay on site was at POP I remember walking into the lobby and being overwhelmed as it was completely magical to me!

I have been to disney over 25 times staying for at least 3weeks each time but had never stayed in site until taking my own family!
So for me a disney hotel even though it was a value stood out as being everything disney!!

Since that 1st on site stay in 2006 we have spent 3 weeks each at
AKL
SSR 2 bed on cash "no making our own beds on holiday"lol
POP
AOA
And this year we are doing Poly ( somewhere I have longed to stay since seeing it every trip as a child in the monorail)

Anyway even though we LOVE the deluxe hotels we have stayed at we have no problem going back to the values, in fact my boys aged 8,8,11 begged to go back to pop or AOA this trip, and if it wasn't for the fact I'd been so sick this year we would have gone,
Dh & I just wanted something extra special though where he could also pop to a park with the kids if I wasn't feeling well,

I think to say you haven't stepped foot in one but to judge them isn't very fair, but it sounds to me you wouldn't be happy with any of them anyways, as they don't do what you need from them

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #22
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Not wishing to sound snobby, I have only stayed at moderate or deluxe resorts and, for that matter, have never set foot in a value resort.

I have, however, watched Youtube videos of all of the value resorts and, at least from the videos, don't think I'd care for them in person. With the possible exception of AOA, they all just look like an oversized Motel 6 with, over the top, somewhat tacky-looking theming.

From the videos, the guest rooms look very bare bones and, as a family of four, we strongly prefer queen beds.

We're also not commando-style visitors and enjoy spending a good part of our vacation at the resort.

Anyone had a similar bias against the value resorts but then tried one in person and found that it was a lot better than what you were expecting?

Or with our family's criteria, would we be better served to continue avoiding the value resorts?
Yes..... you are most certainly a resort snob!! Especially since you haven't even stepped foot in one!!

I can easily afford to stay at a deluxe resort but I would still choose a value because I think it's very silly to waste money on a shell that I am just going to sleep in. But then again I go to WDW to enjoy the parks, not the hotels. If I want a nice hotel to lounge around in, I probably wouldn't fly across the country to stay at WDW!! I have stayed a couple times at POP and loved it!! This time I am staying at CSR and still feel like I need to spend time at the resort instead of the parks because I paid more for it. At least I got FD which makes it easier to justify.

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #23
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I've got nothing against the values- quite the opposite- we nearly stayed at Pop after all.

I would have no problems staying at a value at all. Just maybe only on my own because I imagine it would have been a little squashed with two adults, not to mention a whole family.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Not wishing to sound snobby, I have only stayed at moderate or deluxe resorts and, for that matter, have never set foot in a value resort.

I have, however, watched Youtube videos of all of the value resorts and, at least from the videos, don't think I'd care for them in person. With the possible exception of AOA, they all just look like an oversized Motel 6 with, over the top, somewhat tacky-looking theming.

From the videos, the guest rooms look very bare bones and, as a family of four, we strongly prefer queen beds.

We're also not commando-style visitors and enjoy spending a good part of our vacation at the resort.

Anyone had a similar bias against the value resorts but then tried one in person and found that it was a lot better than what you were expecting?

Or with our family's criteria, would we be better served to continue avoiding the value resorts?
I too am someone who has never stepped foot on a value, we started going to WDW before they were built and after staying at Mods and deluxe resorts just never felt a Value would be a good fit for us.

Although if I had small children or grandchildren I am sure I would be tempted to try a value, I was slightly tempted when AOA opened it just looks like such a fun resort but Deluxe is where my heart lies.

My DS and his wife tried ASSports a few years ago and they simply hated it, the pool and general resort was noisey and the food court too busy plus the small size of the room made for a less than perfect trip.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #25
lovedonald
Mouseketeer

As other people have said the price of the deluxe is significantly more than the value so it should be better and have more amenities. It is like anything else, you get what you pay for. Our family would love to stay deluxe and never have. We just aren't in a situation to afford it right now. We stayed at pop our last trip and with 8 of us we were just so thankful to be at Disney and be able to stay on site.
lovedonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I think that your question is a little odd because it is clear that you have no intention of staying at any value resort. Nothing wrong with that decision but I guess I don't understand what you are looking for.

We have always stayed at a Moderate or a Deluxe. We spend a lot of time at the resort so location and amenities are a part of our planning. I will say that POFQ is one of our favorite spots in WDW, and we prefer it over the BC. Foe my family, we generally prefer more trips and so we choose to save by staying in a mod, but when my DH is with us, we will look at the Deluxe resorts. I think that one of the best aspects of WDW lodging is that there are resorts that accommodate diverse preference and budget considerations.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I think that, in part, it is a bit snobbish for one to judge a resort that one has not visited let alone booked a week at.

For me, the value resorts aren't where I care to spend my Disney vacations or money. I just posted on another thread that in 2011 I had decided that I was going to save money on our April trip and booked our 8-night stay at ASMu. The resort itself was larger than life and very visually appealing, especially to my then 2-year-old daughter. I remember being near one of the sections (Jazz? I think) and thinking "Wow, this courtyard looks like the one that was outside of our room at POFQ". As I said, visually, it was appealing. My opinion changed though when I actually saw our room. I knew it was going to be small but I didn't realize how small, and I knew from the get-go that it wasn't going to work for us. My daughter is a very light sleeper and is awake with even the lightest noise or gleam of light. We slept off and on that first night and I was on the phone early the next morning to upgrade. We did, to CSR, which turned out to be one of my favorite resorts.

While I love the deluxe resorts and really, really like the moderate ones, I just can't say the same about the values. My daughter is begging to stay at AoA next spring and I'm going to give it a shot. I booked a Lion King family suite and do think we're going to enjoy it; she for the themeing and me for the bigger size!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I agree that it seems that a Value resort is not for you or your family given what you've written.

I have stayed in all levels of the resorts and I find that all of them have something to offer us. If it's just me and my DD (we travel to WDW more than the four of us), we like staying in value or mod to save money and to have a food court. If it's the four of us, we stayed in deluxe for the extra room and locations, but they've become so expensive that last trip we stayed in a moderate with the four of us and it worked fine.

And what we've noticed is that there are the same kinds of people at all levels of resorts (except for large foriegn tour groups...which we've only seen at the All Stars).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #29
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

You know there is no right or wrong resort, just what is right for you. I have stayed at value, moderate and deluxe. I stay offsite alot too, usually in a suite. May trip was 9 days at the new Embassy Suites. September I will be in POP, but just DS and I (have our own beds). Every trip has different needs even for us. I say based on your post that the values are not for you. That's okay

For me and the kids, we are happy anywhere as long as we are at Disney. That said, the last time my DH went and stayed at POP with us he said "no more value for me." He travels alot, mostly in suites or high end rooms and it wasn't enjoyable for him. He prefers CSR, POR or deluxe or offsite in a suite. That's okay

I think the worse thing to do is to book somewhere you truly don't want to stay.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #30
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
MANY Guests who are not "budget-conscious" love the Values.
I have to agree with this I know people who like the over the top themes at the values. The values are motels....but just motels on a resort and not no-tel motels on the other side of the tracks that rent by the hour. Two totally different things. Just like there are hotels that can be shady and bad. Resorts or resort towns offer all types of accommodations...motel, hotels both mod and deluxe to lure in a wide variety of vacationers. They all have some of the same perks, but obviously the more you pay the more you get. I guess I don't get why people get offended by calling the values a motel....it has nothing to do with cleanliness or safety, but style of hotel(doors outside) and amenities offered(harder mattresses, smaller rooms). I wouldn't call it an unfair bias OP, because you are either the type of vacationer that is ok with that type of accommodation or not and I don't think that is always mutually exclusive to what you can or can't afford.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: