Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
beamer5
Mouseketeer

Much worse when the gun doesn't fire, I love watching people jump!
beamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

The schtick is what makes it fun for me!
dragonflycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrwdwgirl View Post
I love the jokes! The cornier the better! It does kind of depend on the skipper, luckily we have gotten some good skippers.

Yes, you need a "good" skipper, who is into it. Last time I rode, the CM was phoning it in. Dull. And sorry to say, I have yet to have a female skipper that I liked.

When we rode it at night several months ago, it was different, the Skipper had different jokes based upon the darkness here and there, even **** off all the lights at least once, ran in almost total darkness. I laughed that whole ride. (It was at WDW maybe, can't remember)
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
Rubygoose
Everybody's got a laughing place

We had the most amazing skipper on our trip in July. We had ridden the day before, and then rode during the discover the magic tour the next day. Our tour guides said we lucked out and got the best one. I can't remember for sure, but his name may have been Chris. He told a few of the regular jokes, but everything else was his own material. Every animal we passed he'd say "did you know, a hippo (or whichever animal) can run up to 30 miles per hour and jump over 10 feet?" By the third time he said this, I couldn't stop laughing. And it was my DD's birthday, so he sang her "This is your birthday song, it isn't very long." And that was it!
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
MickeyFan18
Mouseketeer

The birthday song was the joke that had me cracking up... It is our new family joke and have you heard the second verse?
MickeyFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

Some tour guides are naturally funny and they deliver the lines perfectly. I once rode on it where the guide had all new jokes, except backside of water, and I laughed out loud many times. The best was when he used the gun to "shoo" the hippo's away and waved it at them.

I've also had some lame tour guides that don't know much about timing and telling jokes, it's still fun but not nearly as cool....but hey you gotta start somewhere.

I love this ride, you never wait long, its super corny and is just fun.
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

I hope to ride JC at night during our visit to DLR next April. We did this last time we rode at WDW and it made all the difference. A totally new experience.
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
underminer
Mouseketeer

"So do not ride it! It is what it is, you know that going in........ it's for sure better, if the Skipper is into his character, skip it if you are not "feeling the corniness".... it's a original ride that Walt worked on..... "

You miss my point completely...I already stated that I love so much about the ride, the history, theming, etc.. I understand that I don't have to ride a ride if I don't enjoy it. I just feel that there is a lot of wasted potential in the Jungle Cruise as it now stands. I guess if the purpose now is simply to provide a few laughs more like a cheesy comedy show than a ride than mission accomplished . I would love to see more excitement like the old Jaws ride at Universal Orlando where you actually have some thrills and interaction with your surroundings (but not quite that intense). Have something bump the boat or come out of the trees, maybe some high powered air guns for the blowdarts. I love the cave and temple parts of the WDW version. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy humor and fun within the context of the ride but some of it (hokey pokey anyone?) is so old and stale that this has become a one and done ride for us when we go.
underminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #24
tiggerluvr
Mouseketeer

I ride JC every time I go to DL, and the skipper makes a huge difference. Last time I was there, in May, we had a skipper named Sarah who was the best I've seen in a long, long time. I even sent a message on the DL feedback web page to comment about her. Thanks to the posts on this thread, I'll be trying the JC at night this October! It's funny, I never even considered going on it at night before. I must have gotten the mistaken idea that it closed at dusk stuck in my head.
DL 40th Birthday trip: Oct 2013 || DL last minute trip with friends: May 2013 || DL awesome Mother-Son blowout: Dec 2012 || DCL & DL Spring Break: Apr 2010 || DL Halloween: Oct 2007 || DL family reunion: Mar 2003 || DL DS's first trip: Mar 2002

tiggerluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflycurls View Post
The schtick is what makes it fun for me!
Me too!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
Thundergod
Mouseketeer

some people will gripe about anything. Don't ride the ride if you don't like the jokes. I rode it for the first time this year and I loved it. My 10 year old didn't like the jokes but he has the option to never ride it again. Problem solved

Disneyland 1990,1996,2010,2011,2012,July 2013
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
larina
DIS Veteran

It's a family favorite, schick and all.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
underminer
Mouseketeer

...and some people will make rude comments without reading entire posts. I didn't realize we weren't allowed to offer opinions that are different from the majority without it being considered a "gripe."
underminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
whoever
DIS Veteran

Love it. Hope it never goes away. The skipper makes or breaks the experience. The queue is hands down the best queue in the park.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
JosieGirl71
Dreaming of sun...

I love the cheesiness of it. Even when we have a bad skipper, I giggle through the whole thing. I'm sure the other passengers wonder what is wrong with me. That being said, we usually only ride it once per trip and never ride it when we are tired. We made the mistake of going into the Tiki Room for the very first time when we were tired and will never go in it again.

November/December 2013: Ayres Inn Orange
November 2012: Crowne Plaza
September 2011: VGC to celebrate our 20th anniversary!
October 2010: Crowne Plaza
December 2008: Hyatt Regency
December 2007: Hilton
December 2004: Hojo's
JosieGirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: