Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Hi there!

I've never done a PTR or a TR before, but I love reading them and I love the DIS, and I really want to kind of journal this whole trip, including the planning part, so I thought this would be a great way to do it! Plus I can work through my plans, and get great advice from all of you out there!

What: Disney World! Our longest trip ever. My grandparents live in Florida, so I used to go to Disney every few years growing up, and when I hit college I started making a yearly trip to visit my grandparents with my sister. We would go for a week, usually during spring break () and take a day or two out from visiting them to drive to Orlando and hit Disney or Universal or both. My DH and I (then DBF) did a similar trip in April of 2011, and that's when I really got the Disney bug. That's the first trip I truly planned instead of just showing up, when I discovered the DIS boards, and really got hooked on all of the great Disney details. As we get older (30!) I feel a little awkward about taking a week-long vacation at Chez Grandpa, so we decided to swap out the durations for this trip. We'll be in Disney for 5 nights and 6 days, and then we'll head to my grandparents' for 3 days before we fly back home to Philly.

When: November 1-6, 2013

Where: We were originally booked at ASMo, but then Free Dining came out, and after 2.5 hours on hold, I was able to get us moved to ASMu for FD! Yay!

ADRs: I only made two for this trip, at Sanaa and Sci-Fi.

Who: Just me and DH on this trip!

I'm a big big planner, (of course, I'm here aren't I?!) and DH really prefers to do things as they come. He's fine if I plan, he just wants little to do with it. It's tough to get him excited about anything until it's happening, so I've learned to just hold my horses with him until we are there, and then I get to see the big smile on his face and know that my planning has paid off because he really is having fun!

I'm a graphic designer, and DH is an editor at a newspaper. Needless to say, a big vacation like this is not a yearly occurrence for us. We probably won't be back to WDW after this trip for several years, so I want to make the most of our time there!

We just got married last September, and I just have to share a couple of my favorite wedding photos, because it still feels really fresh to me and I love them so much!

And here's our little family: 2 cats, Pickle (gray) and Goose (orange) and our rescued retired racing greyhound, Bigby.

I'm really looking forward to chronicling my planning process and getting to know more people at the DIS! Hope you'll follow along!

Last edited by kayemgi; 09-06-2013 at 08:31 AM.
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Favorite Photos from 2011

I thought I'd start off with a few of my favorite photos from our 2011 trip. I didn't have a very good camera then, and I'm super excited to bring our kind of new DSLR (it's new to me, we bought it used for my 30th birthday!) with zoom lens for this trip. Especially for the Safari in AK, I can't wait to use that zoom lens!

We went during Flower & Garden in 2011, I'm a little disappointed we won't see any of the beautiful topiaries this year, but being there for Food & Wine for the first time more than makes up for it!

Can you see the identical flying ducks on either side of the castle?!

Adventureland is my favorite land in MK, and for some reason this photo really encapsulates it for me.

We got Pirates completely to ourselves first thing in the morning, so I took advantage and took photos for the first time in my life! This guy has always been my favorite.

We got to see the new interactive Haunted Mansion queue pretty soon after it opened, and we loved it! HM is my favorite ride in all of Disney, always has been since I was a kid, so I was thrilled with this new part of the queue, especially this evil looking guy.

And we found Madame Leota's ring in it's new location! These are the kinds of details that really made me fall in love with Disney.

More to come soon!

Last edited by kayemgi; 08-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Can't wait to read more!!!

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
disney-inspired

Disney on the brain 24/7/365!
*grumble* stupid cm *grumble*

Subbing!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Subbing. Can't wait to hear more

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
DisneyMountainWoman
Mouseketeer

Love your wedding photos!
DisneyMountainWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

The Plan: Day 1: Friday, November 1

I have been planning this vacation since we were 283 days out. I realize a lot of people start planning their Disney vacations even farther out, but this has felt like FOREVER to me! I think because our last vacation was our honeymoon in September, and also because it feels like everyone around me is getting to go on their vacations, and I still have 70 days to wait! My boss alone has taken like, four vacations already this year. Slowly but surely though, we are getting there. And of course, to fill the time, I've been planning what I want to do the most once we arrive!

I'm counting vacation as starting the moment we arrive at the airport to get on a plane for Orlando. My husband thinks vacation doesn't start until we arrive at Disney. We have to agree to disagree on that one! I wouldn't say I love flying, but since we do it so rarely and we only do it for vacations really, I look at it as a treat and the beginning of something exciting. I'm sure if I had to fly all the time for work I would feel differently, but I don't, so arriving to the airport, especially in the early morning like we will for this trip, is very exciting to me! I also really enjoy eating out. Doesn't even have to be fancy (though I do enjoy fancy!), just treating myself to a cup of coffee that I didn't have to prepare makes me really happy, so arriving at the airport early in the morning also means takeout coffee and breakfast, yay! And junk magazines! I never buy magazines except for when I fly, mostly because I think reading them too much is bad for your self-esteem and perception of reality, but I do enjoy my US Weekly and People magazine on vacation! Sorry for all the exclamation points, I'm getting overly excited again!

This is how I feel arriving at the airport: Vacation is starting, whoo-hoo!

So, Day 1: Arrival at airport, bad-for-me breakfast and magazines, flight to Orlando, take our first trip on the Magical Express! That's right, we've always driven to Florida in the past, so we've never made use of the Disney transportation system. I've read lots of pros and cons on the boards here, and I think I'm well-prepared for possible problems and just really looking forward to not driving for several days and letting the chips fall where they may. We aren't park-hopping this time, and we only have one resort restaurant ADR, so I really don't think it's going to be a big deal for us.

Hey there, Mickey!

I am nervous about just leaving our bags at the airport for Disney to take care of. I'm not sure I can let go of the control that much...I think it will be a decision made on the spot when we arrive. Anyone do it all the time and never have a problem? Or the opposite?

Then we will be on our way to All-Star Music! Originally we were booked at All-Star Movies, but to get Free Dining we had to switch to Music. At first I was a little disappointed, because I was really looking forward to Movies, but after checking out Music more, I'm now even more excited! I love music, so I think that I will be interested to check out all the different theme areas, whereas at movies, I wasn't all that interested in some of the areas. And we can always take a walk over there and check it out anyway, and we are pretty much in the room only to sleep on Disney vacations, so it should be just fine!

This looks so awesome

Once we arrive and check in at ASMu, we are going to head right back out to take a bus to Downtown Disney. We've only taken short trips to Disney in the past, so we never took the time to go to DTD before. I'm really excited to check it out on this trip. I want to do some shopping and check out all the cool stuff at World of Disney, DH wants to check out the Lego store, I want to eat lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express (that bacon-wrapped meatloaf has been calling my name!), get sundaes at Ghirardelli, and we plan to use our vouchers to DisneyQuest. DH is a big video game fan, so I think he will have an amazing time there, and if I get bored, I can go back out and shop and we will both be happy! As long as I don't spend too much.

Tell me that doesn't look amazing and I will call you a liar.

I cannot wait to see this guy in person.

Depending on how long we stay occupied at DTD, I would really love to spend the last part of our first day checking out some of the resorts. We've never taken the time to do that either. I especially want to see Art of Animation and the Polynesian. I really hope we have time to do that, if not on the first day at some other point during the trip. AOA looks so fun, and the Poly looks beautiful and reminds me of our honeymoon in Jamaica.

A-mazing!

Ahhh, I feel relaxed just looking at this photo.

But I want to be mindful that we plan to get up early for a full day at Hollywood Studios Saturday, so I don't want to push us too hard on our arrival day. Up next: The Plan: Day 2! Thanks for reading along!

Note: all images taken from Google, since I haven't experienced most of the things we plan to do on Day 1.

Last edited by kayemgi; 08-27-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpiratee View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to read more!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-inspired View Post
Subbing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Subbing. Can't wait to hear more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMountainWoman View Post
Love your wedding photos!
Yay, thank you all! I'm so glad to have a few readers on my very first PTR!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Your arrival day looks like a great plan. We love hanging out at DTD. It's great to be able to take things as it comes, if you're feeling tired you can head back to the resort.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
lazer
Mouseketeer

Following!

We've done magical express 3 times and it can't be beat. Love that we don't have to worry about anything but getting on the bus. The only downside is that your luggage will arrive after you check in, so have anything you'll need for a few hours in your carry on. We wouldn't fly and not use it!
lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Your arrival day looks like a great plan. We love hanging out at DTD. It's great to be able to take things as it comes, if you're feeling tired you can head back to the resort.
Thanks! I thought about heading to a park, because our plane lands pretty early, around noon, but after reading a lot here it seemed like it would be best to take it easy and save a the parks for a full day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer View Post
Following!

We've done magical express 3 times and it can't be beat. Love that we don't have to worry about anything but getting on the bus. The only downside is that your luggage will arrive after you check in, so have anything you'll need for a few hours in your carry on. We wouldn't fly and not use it!
Good thing to note, thanks! I can't imagine we'll need much, but I'll want to remember to have my camera and any meds we might need in my handbag. And maybe a change of clothes? I always feel like that's overkill, but I'd probably be grateful for it if our luggage gets lost or is really delayed for some reason!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
lazer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayemgi View Post

Thanks! I thought about heading to a park, because our plane lands pretty early, around noon, but after reading a lot here it seemed like it would be best to take it easy and save a the parks for a full day.

Good thing to note, thanks! I can't imagine we'll need much, but I'll want to remember to have my camera and any meds we might need in my handbag. And maybe a change of clothes? I always feel like that's overkill, but I'd probably be grateful for it if our luggage gets lost or is really delayed for some reason!
Also, I have read reports of people getting their sensor messed up by riding thrill rides with their DSLR. Might be a good idea to put it in a locker while you ride coasters and such. Just a heads up! (We have one too, but two little kids who can't ride coasters yet, so the one staying with the kids...holds the camera).
lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer View Post
Also, I have read reports of people getting their sensor messed up by riding thrill rides with their DSLR. Might be a good idea to put it in a locker while you ride coasters and such. Just a heads up! (We have one too, but two little kids who can't ride coasters yet, so the one staying with the kids...holds the camera).
Oh wow, really?! That's one I haven't heard before! I'll definitely be looking into that some more.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayemgi View Post
Yes. It's tempting to head straight into the parks. But even though your flight lands early, you'll still get tired earlier if you've been up at an unusual hour. It's best to take it easy and start afresh the next day

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: