Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

Smile O'hana dinner with a vegetarian

I want to go to O'hana for the family style dinner, however my 17 year old niece is a vegetarian.... how would that work? she doesn't eat any meat or fish at all.... would they accommodate her?

Thanks in advance!
Mizzgolitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

I would think the bread, veggies, salad, and noodles would suit her just fine!!! They are so awesome!!

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

sounds so yummy!!!! she has a peanut allergy too to add to it.... I wonder if they would charge full price for her? hmmm
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
disneywalkers
Mouseketeer

I'm sure they would charge her full price no matter what she chooses to eat or not eat.
disneywalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

I just made my ADR for Ohana im sure it will be fine and I can also email them before hand!!! yay
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
kandb
DIS Veteran

They gave my son cheese ravioli with marianara sauce the last time we were there this past April
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

I would put the information that there is one vegetarian in your party under the special requests section of the reservation. If you already made your ADR, I am pretty sure you can call and update that info. I read a lot of reviews on tripadvisor.com and under Ohana there was one picture that showed a plate for the reviewers husband who is a vegetarian - they had made him his own separate entree. She said in the review that once they learned her husband was a vegetarian, the chef came out and asked them his likes and dislikes and made him his own meal. She also indicated on her review that they had found this to be one of the most vegetarian friendly restaurants at Disney.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzgolitely View Post
I wonder if they would charge full price for her? hmmm
Yes. Disney's policy at fixed price meals is that everyone at the table is charged the full price regardless of how much or how little they choose to eat.

You can call the dining reservations number and have it noted on all your reservations that she is a vegetarian and has a peanut allergy. The chef will come to your table and discuss options for your niece.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
dkostel
Future owner at CRV? VCR? I don't care lets call it Bob as long as it happens!
I have great appreciation for anything that can make me laugh when I'm out in 10 degree weather

I've been to Ohana three times and am a vegetarian. The first time (probably 5 years ago) the chef came out and asked some questions and made me a wonderful meal (along with the best tempura vegetables that I've ever had). The subsequent two times no one came out, but I got a veg appetizer (I forget what it was) and they pointed out which parts of the meal are vegetarian, including the noodle vegetable dish. There is plenty to eat, but it isn't like it used to be.
Now they usually only come out to discuss allergies, they take those very seriously, as they should.
She'll be fine, it is a nice break from the standard Boca burger.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
ChrissyLady
Mouseketeer

I've eaten at O'Hana a few times as a vegetarian and each time I have been offered a delicious tofu and veggie stir fry dish with rice, in addition to the vegetarian options included with the standard meal.

I hope they still do this, the last time I was there was two years ago.

I thought it was so wonderful. Good luck!

ChrissyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
DVC California
Try this weird hybrid sometime: DisneyQuest + Water Parks Annual Pass.......it's a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzgolitely View Post
I want to go to O'hana for the family style dinner, however my 17 year old niece is a vegetarian.... how would that work? she doesn't eat any meat or fish at all.... would they accommodate her?

Thanks in advance!
We went to 'Ohanas a few years ago with my daughter's friend who was a vegetarian. At that time we reading several reviews from other vegetarians and found this post:

*More* Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews! (May 9 - May 17) With lots of pictures! by v_gan.

Because 3 out of 4 of us were eating the regular menu, we were only able to order one items that v_gan described for DD's friend to try. I recall the the standard salad and stir fried veggies but also the tofu and rice. I seem to recall her also being served a hummus platter that we all enjoyed as it was a large serving.

I think what 'Ohana serves vegetarians varies quite a bit, especially if there are changes in the kitchen with chef. But it doesn't hurt to ask for something specific and there will be plenty of food regardless.

BTW - Have you thought about also going to Boma's at AKL? It is a buffet with a great selection of vegetarian entrees, soups and salads.

HTH, Steve
DVC California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

THANK YOU everyone~!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Because of the peanut allergy, the chef will come to the table to discuss her options. Most likely the chef will cook up a tofu stir fry. Between that and the vegetables and noodles (I think she may get her own dish of noodles because I'm not sure they're safe for somebody with a peanut allergy) and I think maybe another dish or two she'll leave stuffed. I believe that the bread pudding is peanut free and vegetarian though I'm not positive since we can't have it due to other allergies, but if it's not then she'll still get dessert (the chef will discuss this with her but she will get dessert; what's offered can vary based on the chef and the allergy).

She'll waddle out of there stuffed to the point of discomfort if that's what she wants.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Mizzgolitely
Mouseketeer

that's awesome!!! im so excited that they will be so accommodating

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: