Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #31
nighttowll
DIS Veteran

Just one more reason to drink water.
nighttowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #32
mullysisters
Mouseketeer

My Mug thought

I buy a new refillable mug every trip. It is one small fragment of joy in my two hour commute to work. I use them year round.
I don't drink pop at home, at the resort I fill my mug with one coffee in the morning and a cold drink at night, if I feel like walking back from the room.
How much pop can one person drink that you need to refill your mug that many times?

I agree with PP who said that pop is really cheap and marked up. Coke is the largest purchaser of corn grain (for sugar) in the world. Technology on the other hand is very expensive, and evolving and has many, many glitches. I predict the RFID will be gone in 5 years.

May 2014 - AoA solo trip!
mullysisters is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #33
Bernie23
Earning My Ears

Disney could care less about the loss of soda. It's absolute peanuts to them. The loss comes in when they can't resell a mug each year (because people are reusing them). They put the 3 minute rule in so that people can't fill up a mug and pour into another glass. It's annoying and inconvenient to resort guests, but it is what it is.

Don't fool yourself into thinking they care about the soda loss though. They don't. They care about not selling a new mug.
Bernie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #34
clapton
Mouseketeer

Seriously Disney doesn't make enough money! No more mugs for us!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

Seriously, no one cares about the fact that a change to reduce loss and impact Disney's bottom line but inconvenience guests is now MUCH MORE expensive? So I now have to deal with the hassles of timed refills and for that wonderful new feature, I now pay A LOT MOrE? And, this wonderfully earth- focused, environmentally conscious company doesn't even try to incent returning with my plastic mug by offering even a small discount? Such greed.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #36
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
Seriously, no one cares about the fact that a change to reduce loss and impact Disney's bottom line but inconvenience guests is now MUCH MORE expensive? So I now have to deal with the hassles of timed refills and for that wonderful new feature, I now pay A LOT MOrE? And, this wonderfully earth- focused, environmentally conscious company doesn't even try to incent returning with my plastic mug by offering even a small discount? Such greed.
A lot more? Isn't it less than $2 for a length of stay mug? Is that really going to break your vacation budget? How about the fact that it now cost less for those people only staying 3 days or less? Having to wait 3 minutes between refills? Boy what first world problems you have.
There is no such thing as greed when talking about a corporation, its called profit and there is no other reason for a corporation to exist. I'll never understand the complaints that a company makes too much. You are free to not financially support that company or you are free to benefit from it, buy some stock. The absolute beauty of America

Last edited by luvmy3; 08-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #37
wen8jr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB View Post
I think it's totally ridiculous that the people here who think the mug technology is awesome are accusing the rest of us of being mad just because we can't steal anymore. Not one person on this thread has said, "I am so mad about the new mug technology because now I can no longer buy one mug and get drinks for my whole family!!!"

No doubt it happens, but I seriously doubt if anyone who is posting on this thread is a drink-stealer.

I agree with someone higher up on the thread -- it IS always the same around here. The same holier-than-thou's deciding what the rest of us can and can't be irritated by!

I was thinking the same thing - who is upset because they can't "steal"? I didn't see anyone say they were mad because they can't steal... just upset that they are having to pay more and what they are paying for is now "timed" and comes with "strings" attached.

Free refills means free refills, right? How is that stealing if you get a refill. A

There will always be some type of abuse and probably mostly from kids with or without direction from an adult but I seriously doubt many people bring back old mugs. Sure, we've heard about it on here but that isn't representative of the overall population of Disney resorts.

I've never had a mug, we do not eat at the resort food courts much so we never though it was worth keeping up with one. This upcoming trip with the dining plan I suppose we will have one in the package. I probably won't even use it...but my "Free" refills are in all reality included in the dining plan price and it will come with strings attached if I want to use it. I will have to be "in the know" on how the dang thing works and if I do use it and the soda comes out wrong or lo and behold I'm thirsty and down a cup and want another while I eat, I have a wait time.

I'm picturing people lined up at the machines trying again and again within the 3 minute period while other people need to get their drinks before their food gets cold. Or their chip doesn't work, etc. Nothing makes me more upset than cold food.

It all just seems to be overkill to me, just do away with it altogether if it is that big of a problem.
wen8jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #38
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Um, no. What I am annoyed about is 1) the very high cost of the mugs ($18). This is quite a steep increases considering the new mugs are in place to reduce expense/los and 2) having to deal with waiting to do a 1/2 reg/ 1/2 diet mug full. Then standing there another 3 minutes if I take a few gulps and want to top it back off. It is petty for the amount of $ a soda costs Disney.
Thank you- that is my peeve also. That soda costs so LITTLE,and 18.00 for a mug....it's not the cost, it's the HASSLE! I don't want to think about how much I can get,or when or anything else, I haven't ever brought last years mug with me,and one trip when my kids were small, we bought ONE mug,for our fam of 4,and we all just drank what we wanted when we wanted. I still know we did NOT drink 14.00 worth of soda that week,so no worries. I wouldn't 'steal'...but come on!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #39
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

We don't get the mugs, but I can totally get why they went this route. Want to blame someone? Blame those kids that "brought mom's old stuff" or the people (some of whom are on these boards) who reuse the same mug every year and don't pay for the sodas they drink.

I would like them to follow Busch Gardens lead. We bought 2 refillable glasses and refilled them for .99 each. The containers were $5 or 7 each.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #40
wen8jr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedana View Post
I would like them to follow Busch Gardens lead. We bought 2 refillable glasses and refilled them for .99 each. The containers were $5 or 7 each.
The mugs are used only at the resort people are staying at - not in the parks.

What I can't figure out is how much abuse and stealing can even be happening because who hangs in the resort food court that much during a trip??? And how much can you drink that it would be a loss to Disney?

I have never felt in all our trips (at moderate resorts) that the food court was that centrally located enough to even feel that the mug was worthwhile for us to buy.

This is probably just a way to cut back "people" and automate the system... not because of stealing but while they are at it they are going to put a timer in there too just because they can.
wen8jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

Quote:
I'll add that it is also ridiculous to me that a company like Disney isn't more environmentally focused. Let me bring my mug back, reduce the amount of plastic thrown into the world and offer me a discount when I return next year with my mug.
Absolutely! Disney promotes reduce, REUSE, and recycle. I would gladly buy a new RFID mug if there would be a way that I could bring it back, reactivate it for a reduced price and be on my way. I stopped buying the mugs years ago because there was no more room in my cupboards for them. I'm sure that there are countless mugs now that are in landfills for the same reason.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #42
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

Corporate greed and profit may very well be the same thing. That doesn't mean people have to like it. It is like when they started with myw tickets that really were just another giant price increase.

We will buy the cups because we like drinking our coffee out of real cups. We don't drink soda.

It is what it is.
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

I also thought part of the idea behind the RFID mugs was to allow you to use it at other resorts (so if you are in a QS place at AoA but staying at WL, you could fill your mug while having a QS meal there).
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #44
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
I also thought part of the idea behind the RFID mugs was to allow you to use it at other resorts (so if you are in a QS place at AoA but staying at WL, you could fill your mug while having a QS meal there).
Yep, you can use them at any resort food court now, so the $2 increase may actually be a greater value for some. They also roll over for a split stay as long as there are no gaps in the stays, again offering a greater value for some.

wdwloverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #45
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
Ok....I've been reading here,and it sounds like the new thing is 'microchipped' soda mugs..... Really?!? Of all the cheap things on a Dis vacation,soda has to top the list... I was considering going for a package with FD,using those mugs this year,now I'm glad I didn't bother. Days I can use the mug, how often I can use it, micro chips to track it all...ugh! One more thing to think about (hmmm,can I mix sodas? not if it exceeds the mandated 12 oz. in 3 minutes rule) oh Joy! Sorry for the snarky sound of my post, but this just seems like complete and total overkill. I already don't like the chipped bracelets,tickets,and tracking being put into place, but how much soda my kids might want to drink while at the food court? NO THANK YOU I realize it's a tiny thing, but I am so glad I didn't go for the dining/mugs plan.....for 17.00 a mug, I could drink about a million gallons of soda on a trip,and still they would be making money off of me......just sayin'

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: