Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

I love our Disney trips and I gladly pay as much of my expendable vacation income there as I can get away with, but I will totally agree about the ridiculousness of the soda technology!

We always use the dining plan and I am very excited they started including a mug with it. We also always bought the mugs (a fresh one every visit) before they came with the DDP. It crossed my mind many a time that my whole family could drink as much fountain pop as we could hold in our bellies for a month on the cost of ONE of the mugs, much less one for each of us. Policing the amount of refills seems extremely petty, almost to the point of insulting.

Disney is very good at tricking me into thinking "and it was worth every penny"!!!! But that refillable pop situation is one area where I scratch my head. I still go along with it.

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
The real Mrs Potts
Been there, Ate That!!

Glad I'm Staying Club Level
The real Mrs Potts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
GoofyCdn
Mouseketeer

I apologize for the rant!
What I find most interesting about this whole discussions is that people are getting upset because they no longer can "steal" from the big bad corporation. If Disney had never offered the free refillable mug people wouldn't be complaining, but because Disney let people have "free" drinks for years people are now complaining. I love how the morals of people have gone downhill and it's now ok to "steal" because the corporation still makes money! When you take something from someone when you aren't entitled to it, that is the definition of stealing. Since Disney rules say you can't bring your cup back from previous drinks it is now stealing, but I guess that's ok as long as Disney doesn't know. And what a great example for your kids. Do what you want as long as you don't get caught!
God Bless America! oh wait, God was the one that said "Stealing" was wrong. Guess when you take God out of school and everything else in America this is what it comes down to. Stealing is ok as long as it's not me they are stealing from!
We complain about politicians being greedy, about corporations being greedy, but isn't it all about greed when we complain that we can no longer get what we want for free without paying?

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyCdn View Post
I apologize for the rant!
What I find most interesting about this whole discussions is that people are getting upset because they no longer can "steal" from the big bad corporation. If Disney had never offered the free refillable mug people wouldn't be complaining, but because Disney let people have "free" drinks for years people are now complaining. I love how the morals of people have gone downhill and it's now ok to "steal" because the corporation still makes money! When you take something from someone when you aren't entitled to it, that is the definition of stealing. Since Disney rules say you can't bring your cup back from previous drinks it is now stealing, but I guess that's ok as long as Disney doesn't know. And what a great example for your kids. Do what you want as long as you don't get caught!
God Bless America! oh wait, God was the one that said "Stealing" was wrong. Guess when you take God out of school and everything else in America this is what it comes down to. Stealing is ok as long as it's not me they are stealing from!
We complain about politicians being greedy, about corporations being greedy, but isn't it all about greed when we complain that we can no longer get what we want for free without paying?

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Totally agree.....was the same with enforcing fast pass times....bag check... Next it will be stopping free bus transportation.... Then the rental car users will say they're knit picking us again..

Never ends. It's just a different day .... These forums can get so petty, ridiculous , over and over!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Just an observation...

On our trip last year, we saw a group of teens at the POR Food Court. Half the group had refillable mugs, the rest just cups. The ones with the mugs went up, filled their mugs, poured them into the others' cups, and then filled again. I made mention to the CM at the cash register when I saw this cycle repeat for the second time. He sighed and said he knew what was going on, but was limited in what he could do - unless he physically saw them pouring into a non-Disney mug and the person go refill, he couldn't officially say they were stealing, and being busy ringing people up, he couldn't watch them.

Two days later, we saw the same group of kids repeating the process at Sunshine Seasons. I was getting my paid for soda, and tried to make light: "hey, not sure if you knew, but those mugs are for resort only." The kid looked at me and said "Shoot*, we ain't even staying at a frickin'* hotel. We just got passes and fill up with my mom's stuff from, like, years ago!" He and his friend laughed and walked away. (* denotes clean version)

Now, I'm going to assume they aren't the only ones... and I'm going to assume they did it more than the two times I saw it. *shrugs* I'm not a fan of having to restrict soda access, and really wish we COULD use the mugs at the parks... but having seen first hand those who abuse the system, I understand why a business enterprise like Disney has to find ways to plug the leaks in the financial system.

Basically - don't blame Disney for having to tighten the restrictions. Blame those who constantly strive to find the loopholes or violate the rules altogether... they're the ones who make stuff like RFID mugs necessary.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Basically - don't blame Disney for having to tighten the restrictions. Blame those who constantly strive to find the loopholes or violate the rules altogether... they're the ones who make stuff like RFID mugs necessary.

Most "bad" company policies are in response to abuse or theft, it's not like the Disney execs got together one day, asked what would upset their guests, put their pinky fingers in corner of the mouth, and laughed maniacally. They are responding to a problem.

Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #22
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

Um, no. What I am annoyed about is 1) the very high cost of the mugs ($18). This is quite a steep increases considering the new mugs are in place to reduce expense/los and 2) having to deal with waiting to do a 1/2 reg/ 1/2 diet mug full. Then standing there another 3 minutes if I take a few gulps and want to top it back off. It is petty for the amount of $ a soda costs Disney.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #23
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

I'll add that it is also ridiculous to me that a company like Disney isn't more environmentally focused. Let me bring my mug back, reduce the amount of plastic thrown into the world and offer me a discount when I return next year with my mug.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
GoofyCdn
Mouseketeer

So then, let's propose to Disney that when I bring my RFID enabled mug back to Disney on my trip next time, Disney will reactivate my RFID chip so I can re-use my mug. Then Disney gets what they want - Restricted access to prevent theft and you get what you want - reusable mugs!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

You know what I think is absurd? That people condone stealing. It doesn't matter if it's a cup of soda, a character hoodie, a lollipop. It's still stealing and it's wrong.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarQE View Post
Have to agree - this whole thing sounds like all Disney is interested in is "wringing the last few coppers from the wretches" - All those people "stealing" soda with old mugs are also guests paying the enormously inflated rates for food that come with being a guest at Disney.
What does that have to do with anything? Stealing is stealing, no matter what the item cost that company to produce. Would you think it ok to take a pair of Levis from JCP because they cost them next to nothing, yet they charge $40 for them?

Being a resort guest does not give anyone the right to just start taking stuff they didn't pay for. If you don't want to pay for a mug, then don't pay for it. They are optional.

It always surprises me how many people think Disney should turn a blind eye to any sort of theft. I know if I owned my own business I wouldn't. It is almost disgusting that people blame Disney instead of the people who were stealing from them. Actually, it is disgusting.

If you want to be mad, be mad at the people who were stealing.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyCdn View Post
So then, let's propose to Disney that when I bring my RFID enabled mug back to Disney on my trip next time, Disney will reactivate my RFID chip so I can re-use my mug. Then Disney gets what they want - Restricted access to prevent theft and you get what you want - reusable mugs!
I am HOPING this is the eventual goal of all this. But, who really knows?

I just know that I have way too many mugs and am glad DD likes to use them in the tub/pool as toys.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
3CW
Keep Moving Forward

My upcoming trip in December will be the first time I've ever gotten a refillable mug (FD). Though I've heard they're even chipping the paper cups.

The thing I find irritating about the chip is, what happens when the syrup runs out or isn't hooked up right, and all you get is carbonated water? This happened to me on my last trip at the ASMu food court, and I just poured it out, picked a different flavor, and let a CM know before I headed back to our room. Now I guess I'd need to wait around until my 3 minutes were up before I could get a new soda.
3CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

I think it's totally ridiculous that the people here who think the mug technology is awesome are accusing the rest of us of being mad just because we can't steal anymore. Not one person on this thread has said, "I am so mad about the new mug technology because now I can no longer buy one mug and get drinks for my whole family!!!"

No doubt it happens, but I seriously doubt if anyone who is posting on this thread is a drink-stealer.

I agree with someone higher up on the thread -- it IS always the same around here. The same holier-than-thou's deciding what the rest of us can and can't be irritated by!

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

If you don't want to deal with the new mug restrictions then don't buy one. I think its a bit restrictive but I COMPLETELY understand the reasoning behind it and I will choose to deal with it. I'm hoping as time goes on Disney will tweak the program accordingly, so that it is easier for mug users but still serves its purpose.
If you want FREE soda, go on a Disney cruise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: