Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Seriously? now I have to think about Soda refills?

Ok....I've been reading here,and it sounds like the new thing is 'microchipped' soda mugs..... Really?!? Of all the cheap things on a Dis vacation,soda has to top the list... I was considering going for a package with FD,using those mugs this year,now I'm glad I didn't bother. Days I can use the mug, how often I can use it, micro chips to track it all...ugh! One more thing to think about (hmmm,can I mix sodas? not if it exceeds the mandated 12 oz. in 3 minutes rule) oh Joy! Sorry for the snarky sound of my post, but this just seems like complete and total overkill. I already don't like the chipped bracelets,tickets,and tracking being put into place, but how much soda my kids might want to drink while at the food court? NO THANK YOU I realize it's a tiny thing, but I am so glad I didn't go for the dining/mugs plan.....for 17.00 a mug, I could drink about a million gallons of soda on a trip,and still they would be making money off of me......just sayin'
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
Ok....I've been reading here,and it sounds like the new thing is 'microchipped' soda mugs..... Really?!? Of all the cheap things on a Dis vacation,soda has to top the list... I was considering going for a package with FD,using those mugs this year,now I'm glad I didn't bother. Days I can use the mug, how often I can use it, micro chips to track it all...ugh! One more thing to think about (hmmm,can I mix sodas? not if it exceeds the mandated 12 oz. in 3 minutes rule) oh Joy! Sorry for the snarky sound of my post, but this just seems like complete and total overkill. I already don't like the chipped bracelets,tickets,and tracking being put into place, but how much soda my kids might want to drink while at the food court? NO THANK YOU I realize it's a tiny thing, but I am so glad I didn't go for the dining/mugs plan.....for 17.00 a mug, I could drink about a million gallons of soda on a trip,and still they would be making money off of me......just sayin'

I think it is in response maybe....to people who abused the system and brought back mugs from previous years visits to use over and over again. Thus not paying for any soda. Just a thought. I know what you mean though, it is another thing to think about. Glad we are water people!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

It is a pretty silly rule. 3 minutes.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
I know it sounds like something that is a no nothing thing since soda is "cheap" but think about this. It may cost Disney 25 cents (if that) per soda but when you multiply that by thousands of people refilling thousands of times, that mere 25 cents adds up.

And frankly, no matter how you cut it, stealing is stealing... Just say'n.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

It costs Disney nowhere near 25 cents per soda. Try a penny. The whole thing is ridiculous. Even if you bought a mug for $15 and refilled it for 10 trips, Disney still probably made $. It is a true example of greed squashing customer convenience. If they were going to do this, the cost of the mug should have gone DOWn since all the loss to theft is no eliminated but no, we get to pay 30% MORe for the joy of timed and measured refills.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
TisBit
DIS Veteran

I agree it is overkill, but for a different reason. I think they are being way to strict with the refills (as others have said, if you walk all the way to the front to refill your cup, you will usually want to drink some there and top it off before leaving). Standing around for 3 minutes is silly and they should just make it where you can refill twice and then lock out for 10 minutes or something.

I understand Disney does not like to tell guests "no", so it is easer to let the machine and microchip do that for them. I actually saw more abuse of the soda machines this past trip than before.

My big problem, like yours is the expense. Disney will cut its costs significantly by implementing this new system. But instead of passing that costs on to guests, the mugs will still be priced in such a way that they are way too expensive for you to even remotely recover the costs associated. Maybe it is just another example of how once Disney included them in the Dining plan it ruined any value in them. LOL

We do not use the Dining Plan and will not in the future. We own DVC and already buy most of our soda and only occasionally invest in a mug. Now, maybe with the new system Disney will expand their refill stations and put them in more convenient locations throughout the resorts (like near the ice machines, etc) in which case it might make more sense for their policies.
TisBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240
If they were going to do this, the cost of the mug should have gone DOWn since all the loss to theft is no eliminated but no, we get to pay 30% MORe for the joy of timed and measured refills.
That's a great point!

I too usually just drink water, but have used the mug as a part of the DDP. I considered getting a mug next trip (sans DDP) but there is no way I'd spend the money for the mugs now with the price increase.
POP Oct 2011 F&W + MNSSHP
POR Oct 2012 - Dining Review
POP March 2013
Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Coronado Springs/Cabana Bay October 2014
ThinkTink09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
RebelSoul
Mouseketeer

We just go to Super Target or Publix and buy our own soda and other drinks. Even when we've had DDP (use TiW now), we've seldom bothered with the mugs. In total, we may have used the mugs for two fill-ups each. Many times we didn't even bother to go claim the mugs with DDP. I have to agree that hiking the mug prices makes zero sense.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
MiramarQE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
It costs Disney nowhere near 25 cents per soda. Try a penny. The whole thing is ridiculous. Even if you bought a mug for $15 and refilled it for 10 trips, Disney still probably made $. It is a true example of greed squashing customer convenience. If they were going to do this, the cost of the mug should have gone DOWn since all the loss to theft is no eliminated but no, we get to pay 30% MORe for the joy of timed and measured refills.
Have to agree - this whole thing sounds like all Disney is interested in is "wringing the last few coppers from the wretches" - All those people "stealing" soda with old mugs are also guests paying the enormously inflated rates for food that come with being a guest at Disney.

It's not just the low cost of the refills that makes this sound totally ridiculous - what is the CAPITAL Disney has to invest in the new machines? Guess that's why your mug price will be higher - got to cover Disney's cost of increasing their profit margin on that mug.

Would just be much easier to include the mug with the room for each guest and increase the rack rate $1/day/guest - and would be better PR and fewer complaints from the frequent guest contingent.
MiramarQE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
kaybird
DIS Veteran

I think this is another response by Disney for the guests without common sense. How many threads on these boards alone are closed because of "Have the designs changed?" "Can I use them in multiple resorts?" etc.

Benefits change. I was a BIG soda drinker, and still have trouble thinking that I could chug 12 oz every 3 minutes. Seems like a good number to me.

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
heatherburks
Earning My Ears

Ever been on a cruise? It's $50/week for just canned soda! I think Disney is really generous in their soda price!
heatherburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

I'm on the DDP and the mug comes with it, so what's to worry about? Seriously, it just seems to me that there is always someone who has something to complain about. No offense intended to anyone. But come on, most vacations you have to pay for everything, and I mean everything. This is just splitting hairs, ok, so don't get the mugs. But I agree with PP, its in response to those who repeatedly bring back their old mugs year after year! I've never done so, but it does burn my back side when I'm using a new mug at CBR and see a family of 6 using the "old" Wilderness Lodge mugs to fill up! So, I get their point. It makes sense. If you don't like the mugs, ask for a paper cup and drink water.

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

I am sorry, but I find it funny that people are upset about Disney wanting to make money and wanting to stop abuse. It is more then the loss of profit from the soda when someone refills an old mug or random cup. It is the loss of profit from selling a "drink". No company is going to stand aside and allow it if they have an easy and effective way to fix the problem.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Mr. Pig
I picked Monorail Coral so that it won't be lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240
It would seem to make sense for the price to go down but that is not how businesses set prices. Cost is a factor but so is the demand. If it costs me $1 to make something and I sell it for $2 I can make money. But if I raise the price to $3 and I still sell the same quantity I would be foolish not to sell for $3. We may call it greedy but it is our capitalist system.

The price is set by what people will pay. If too many people start bringing their own drinks then Disney will have made a mistake and will have to make adjustments.

Also remember there is more to the cost than just the raw materials. Food courts must make a profit. They have to pay for labor, repairs, upkeep and all other material prople use. That has to all come out of the sales of food and beverages.
In between - Too many times to count
Mr. Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
I am sorry, but I find it funny that people are upset about Disney wanting to make money and wanting to stop abuse. It is more then the loss of profit from the soda when someone refills an old mug or random cup. It is the loss of profit from selling a "drink". No company is going to stand aside and allow it if they have an easy and effective way to fix the problem.
Bingo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: