Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

Thumbs down Disney Magic Nov 24-29 Foul Odor, ?ready for sea?

Couldn't wait. 3rd Disney Cruise. Everything as beautiful and clean and Yummy as before. Then our stateroom. If any of you have camped, you know the smell. A backed up sewage type of smell and NOT coming from the bathroom. Was kept in that room for 2 days, worsening and worsening. Talked to 10 different people. Changed filters, sent fans, cleaned carpets. My wife was literally sick after 2 days out of 5. Was finally offered a switch to another room after going in person to guest services. New room was fine. Illnesses went right away. Unfortunately, the same smell found its way into the same hallway, the next deck up and then to the top of the ship. Fans were all over the place. Public restrooms had no pressure to flush or wash hands. We were offered a stuffed animal, then snorkel equipment. We then talked again to guest services and it was divulged to us that it was a "plumbing problem" and so I asked, "then you mean it is a health hazard?", silence is no mystery. We were even told that they were going to have to get engineering involved when the ship returned back to port. We had already taken Dec. 2014 week off and planned to rebook at reduced rate. Did we, NO WAY. Perhaps dry dock should be an option if things are not working as other posts have commented on similar problems, although our cruise cast seemed unclear of any previous problems. Sorry, but you couldn't have missed this one. TERRIBLY DISAPPOINTED about the was this was handled. I totally understand problems, but own up to it.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

so sorry to hear you went through this We board the Magic on Wednesday - deck 6 this time.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
DisneyPoly
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes!

Curious to know your stateroom number?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
N0ahsarc
Earning My Ears

We really tried not to let the issues spoil our trip! We had sewage flooding in our cabin twice, once on Tuesday and then again on Thursday. Our little one had terrible stomach issues on Wednesday... And after putting two and two together, we figured out that it was from the flooding on Tuesday... So, on a five day cruise, we had flooding on Tues. sick little one on Wed and flooding again on Thursday... Not as Magical as it could have been, since it is my belief that Disney knew of these issues for these cabins before the cruise. If they had taken the time to move us before the cruise started I would not be as frustrated as I am and were on the cruise. They finally moved us at 10 pm on Thursday from a verandah room to a port hole room, but the size of the room was a mute point since we were getting off the boat at 8 am the next morning. Guest services did try to make it better for our little one with a delivery of a Perry the Platypus and a small room credit... But not enough in my opinion. It cost us a lot of money to take that cruise and it was clearly not as Magical as it could have been if they just moved us at the beginning if the cruise, knowing these issues were present. I know of another family two cabins down that was moved to the 8th floor and our neighbors next to us were also moved. Our neighbors little girl was sick on Wednesday like our little one and it was her Birthday... Poor thing!!

I am not one to complain, this was our 7th Disney cruise, we LOVE Disney! We are DVC Members and I own my own Disney travel agency, needless to say I will continue to travel with Disney... We are booked on the Magic again on Jan 10, 2014, but I am feeling a bit leery for that cruise.... My hubby does not want to go... Not sure this late I can get out of it with out losing money. It was booked before we went on this cruise.

The brightest part of our cruise was the service that we received from our wait staff! Of all seven of out cruises this was the best service he have EVER had!! Limbert and Nurma were amazing!! So very highly recommend they both make so many magical night for my little one! On the night that my little one was sick they made special request for dinner so he would get a little something in his stomach! it is no fun being a dinner with a little one so sick they are laying on your lap... probably should have forgone dinner but he did not want to miss out on seeing them and the special things they did for him each night. If we go again in January, I will definitely request them for service!

Ask if these have been fixed before booking: 5650, 5648 and 5646
N0ahsarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
DisneyPoly

We were very fortunate as we were in 5627 / 5629/ 5631 and did not experience any issues. So very sad that you had to experience a less than magical trip ... You should has been moved early on without a doubt.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
N0ahsarc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPoly View Post
We were very fortunate as we were in 5627 / 5629/ 5631 and did not experience any issues. So very sad that you had to experience a less than magical trip ... You should has been moved early on without a doubt.
Oh, DisneyPoly, I think you must be the family my Hubby was trying to pawn our son off on all cruise!! : )
Old 11-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

Our room number was 2517 to start with and then it was 2544 when they finally moved us.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

We are DVC members too. We had already taken a week off in December of next year to take another cruise, but we were so dejected we didn't book one. This was our third cruise and we had not a single problem on the previous two, one of those cruises was on the Magic.

We were also considering adding on to our DVC account, but we didn't do that either. Not that the two are related....
Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
DisneyPoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ahsarc View Post

Oh, DisneyPoly, I think you must be the family my Hubby was trying to pawn our son off on all cruise!! : )
Yes .... That is us!! Your son was adorable ... So sorry you had so many problems!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

N0ahsarc......were you on the same cruise as I was, thanksgiving week?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
N0ahsarc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Brown View Post
N0ahsarc......were you on the same cruise as I was, thanksgiving week?
Yes, got home yesterday!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
so sorry to hear you went through this We board the Magic on Wednesday - deck 6 this time.
We are on deck 6 as well this week. I have read such mixed reviews that I really don't know what to think. I am trying to just be optimistic. To the OP, I am so terribly sorry you had this awful experience. I guess the moral of the story is to complain, in person and loudly, right away if there is a problem...keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

On the positive side, the food and the rest of the crew were fantastic. The shows are awesome and the pool areas were great. The aqua dunk is a must do! We regret not packing some febreeze, but not sure that would have helped anything out at all. We did not drink the water from the room bathroom, but again I'm not sure that would have mattered at all.

From reading other reports from this cruise, it sounds like we were in the minority (those who had major issues). We were on the second floor so maybe everything flowed downhill.

We are huge Disney fans an this is the first time anything like this has happened in 3 cruises and over 25 WDW trips. The biggest problem I have is that we had to continue to call to get something done and it was never corrected until I kept pushing it. The Disney cruise line representatives and I will be having a long discussion tomorrow. Along with our Tavel agent.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
renbens
Earning My Ears

Magic Thanksgiving week

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalley1118 View Post
We are on deck 6 as well this week. I have read such mixed reviews that I really don't know what to think. I am trying to just be optimistic. To the OP, I am so terribly sorry you had this awful experience. I guess the moral of the story is to complain, in person and loudly, right away if there is a problem...keeping my fingers crossed!
We were on this past week's Thanksgiving week Magic cruise. We DID comment to each other on an odd odor the first day but didnt' notice it much after that. We were on deck 7. We didn't have any problems! So sorry to hear of the troubles that were happening!!
Be optimistic! I read mixed reviews also, really look into those neg ones. Some people were rating their cruises poorly b/c cookies weren't ooey gooey and too crunchy or didn't know where to find waffles in the morning and had to ask. Some people had horrible experiences and STILL are taking more cruises with Disney b/c they believe in Disney! This was our first on Disney and I can't wait to sail with them again!!!!! I wish we had the $$ to afford the Vacation Club!
renbens is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: