Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
chartle
DIS Veteran

Options for 5 adults and or rooms with 2 queens

I did a little digging and know there is a 5+ thread around here but can't find it.

What are the non deluxe onsite options for 5 adults? Here are the ones I know of, a cabin at FW or a suite at AoA or ASM.

We would normally stay off site but my niece is a CM. We are only a family of 4 but I understand the best deal is if she "stays with us" so 5.

I asked about 2 queens because it may be cheaper to get less of a discount and not have her in the room (so only 4) but we would need 2 Queen beds.

If it doesn't work out we will just stay offsite with our car and already have a place we have been to twice thats only going to be around $99 per night. We are willing to pay a little more for the onsite experience but not a lot.

Oh and this is not an on site versus off site issue. As you can see I've been around the block here a few times so no need to sell me one way or the other.

PS this is for the last full week before Xmas.

Last edited by chartle; 08-20-2013 at 11:14 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
LvsTnk
Disney Crazy

I believe Alligator Bayou at PO is an option with the Murphy bed.
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
michellejed
DIS Veteran

I think time of year will make a difference also, if you can snatch the FD along with a mod with 2 queens then it is a better deal then staying off site for $99 a night even with out a CM discount.

I think all the mods have queen beds except CBR. My Fav!
michellejed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvsTnk View Post
I believe Alligator Bayou at PO is an option with the Murphy bed.
This would be perfect, thanks but can an adult sleep in the murphy bed. I recall the old trundle beds had an age limit.

ETA: I put in 5 adults at a mod on the wdw website and it wouldn't give me a PO room at all. With 4 adults the 2 queen with or without murphy pops up. I put in 4 adults and one 9 year old and the same rooms with murphy bed pop up. So there must be an age limit for the murphy bed.

Now everyone knows that my niece will not physically be in the room with us but to get the biggest discount she has to be listed as in the room hence the 5 adults.

Last edited by chartle; 08-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejed View Post
I think time of year will make a difference also, if you can snatch the FD along with a mod with 2 queens then it is a better deal then staying off site for $99 a night even with out a CM discount.

I think all the mods have queen beds except CBR. My Fav!
I would really have to crunch the numbers. Dining is not a big deal for us so DDP is not necessarily a good deal for us.

As I tell people all the time here, you have to

Oh and its the full week before Xmas so most likely no public free dining.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
LvsTnk
Disney Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
This would be perfect, thanks but can an adult sleep in the murphy bed. I recall the old trundle beds had an age limit.
It did say a smaller (shorter) adult.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvsTnk View Post
It did say a smaller (shorter) adult.
please see my edited reply above but where do you see this?

My niece is semi petite. Well see is too short to be the friend of Snow White.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ETA: I put in 5 adults at a mod on the wdw website and it wouldn't give me a PO room at all. With 4 adults the 2 queen with or without murphy pops up. I put in 4 adults and one 9 age old the same rooms with murphy bed pop up. So there must be an age limit for the murphy bed.

Now everyone knows that my niece will not physically be in the room with us but to get the biggest discount she has to be listed as in the room hence the 5 adults.
I don't know of the "official" cut off age for the new Murphy bed, but I have read that it is for "smaller" folks.
If you are looking for a Moderate with 2 Queen beds, I love POFQ. It is the smallest of the Mods and everything is close by. It is a short walk from any room to the bus stop, the food court, the pool, the main building etc. I also love the New Orleans themeing of the Resort.
There is only 1 bus stop. Usually only POFQ is on the bus, but sometimes it shares with Riverside. If that is the case POFQ is the first stop in the morning (still seats on the bus) and the first drop off in the evening.
It is a short walk to Riverside as well
Enjoy

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-20-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Hopefully is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I don't know of the "official" cut off age for the new Murphy bed, but I have read that it is for "smaller" folks.
If you are looking for a Moderate with 2 Queen beds, I love POFQ. It is the smallest of the Mods and everything is close by. It is a short walk from any room to the bus stop, the food court, the pool, the main building etc. I also love the New Orleans themeing of the Resort.
There is only 1 bus stop. Usually only POFQ is on the bus, but sometimes it shares with Riverside. If that is the case POFQ is the first stop in the morning (still seats on the bus) and the first drop off in the evening.
It is a short walk to Riverside as well
Enjoy
ok I checked the official PO thread here and you can't book 5 adults in a murphy bed room, 4 adults and a 17 year old is ok just not 5 actual 18 and over adults.

So more info to consider.

so far
  • Stay offsite (done it many times)
  • Stay onsite with her friends and family discount and stay at PO (liked the look)
  • Stay onsite with her in the room but get a larger more expensive room so she can fit
  • Stay onsite with her in the room and get PO room with murphy bed and lie to the front desk that one of my 5' 9" 200+ just over drinking age sons are under 18.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ok I checked the official PO thread here and you can't book 5 adults in a murphy bed room, 4 adults and a 17 year old is ok just not 5 actual 18 and over adults.

So more info to consider.

so far
  • Stay offsite (done it many times)
  • Stay onsite with her friends and family discount and stay at PO (liked the look)
  • Stay onsite with her in the room but get a larger more expensive room so she can fit
  • Stay onsite with her in the room and get PO room with murphy bed and lie to the front desk that one of my 5' 9" 200+ just over drinking age sons are under 18.
I think you were kidding about the last one? I wouldn't do any lying ESPECIALLY if a family member's job was involved.

I know this would not be 2 queens, but if you had 2 value rooms, you would get get 4 beds for "5" people. Would that not work? Could you get the better discount or would you only get the better discount on one room and the friends and family on the other?
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ETA: I put in 5 adults at a mod on the wdw website and it wouldn't give me a PO room at all. With 4 adults the 2 queen with or without murphy pops up. I put in 4 adults and one 9 year old and the same rooms with murphy bed pop up. So there must be an age limit for the murphy bed.

Then why does it matter if the Murphy Bed can hold a full-sized adult? Whoops! Never mind, I just read the part about putting in 5 adults v/s 4 adults and a 9-year old into the guest age fields.

ETA: I think you're stuck not staying at POR if you have to add your niece into the room. IIRC there is also an extra charge for adults (over 18) past the first 2 adults in a room. It *may* be cheaper for you book 2 rooms at a value resort if you have to pay extra for your adult kids to stay in the room with you.

ETA2: You are going during Free Dining with two adult young men. I would reconsider staying at a moderate without the CM discount and just get free dining. Compare the discount that you can get with your niece and ask yourself if you can feed 4 people for that amount of money per day. My guess would be that you can't feed 4 adults (2 of them hungry young men!) for the price of your niece's discount.

Last edited by robinb; 08-20-2013 at 01:01 PM.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

There is a recommended age limit for the beds based on the width, length, and weight it can hold. The Murphy beds are not much larger than a toddler size bed. An average teen would probably not be very comfortable on it.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Just throwing out there that your reservation will be tied to your niece's employee ID...

Not being a very good Aunt or role model in my opinion if you are going to lie, possibly putting her job in jeopardy. Also, if you're looking to use her CM discount instead of her friends and family discount the reservation will be in her name. They are VERY strict with these because they are such deep discounts. Since she will have to book it, she will be the one doing the lying.

I'd really consider what your asking your niece to do and either book it correctly or go with something you can afford without putting her in an uncomfortable situation.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
1. I think you were kidding about the last one? I wouldn't do any lying ESPECIALLY if a family member's job was involved.

2. I know this would not be 2 queens, but if you had 2 value rooms, you would get get 4 beds for "5" people. Would that not work?

3. Could you get the better discount or would you only get the better discount on one room and the friends and family on the other?
1. I guess I should have added more smileys.

2. could work

3. I'll have to see. I'm trying to do as much research like where to stay before we really get into it since she may have to book everything and I don't want to waste her time.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The murphy bed in POR is slightly bigger than a crib mattress, but not nearly as big as a twin mattress.

Don't forget about the extra adult fee for your three extra adults (meaning over 18 years of age).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: