Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

POR vs. Coronado Springs Resort

Our family of 6 is currently booked at POR from December 1-8 but we could save about $500 switching over to Coronado Springs Resort. We have stayed at POR several times and really love it! We have never stayed at Coronado Springs but it looks really nice (and I think it would be fun to stay at a new resort). Looking for some opinions of people who have stayed at both.
I should add that one of my concerns is the size of Coronado. Is it really bigger than POR? Also, another concern is the Pepper Market food court with the tip added (this can add up with 6 of us!). Is the tip 10% or is it 18% as a party of 6? Is it easy to get a table outside and take your food to go?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Me(44) DH(48) DS18/ DD11 DS8 DS6

theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I am assuming you are comparing the cost of two rooms vs two rooms from POR to CSR? Are you comparing different room types? I'm just surprised at the cost difference.

Anyway, I don't know if CSR is larger square foot wise, but the layout is not as nice as POR and therefore makes it feel larger, IMO. CSR surrounds a large lake so the only way to get from one end of the lake to the other is by walking around it. At POR, there are many bridges and pathways across the river so it makes it easier to cut through.

The tip at Pepper Market - not sure about the percentage, but it's also one thing I hate about it. We're staying in November and from everything I've read, it's easy to get your food to go and sit at one of the tables outside of the restaurant.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

I am completely worthless, I stayed in POR but "thinking" of trying CSR on our next trip. I look fwd to hearing the responses you get from your post. I started a thread like this about a month back and got some great feedback. Looking fwd to experiencing this resort in 2014!
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduhaimes View Post
Our family of 6 is currently booked at POR from December 1-8 but we could save about $500 switching over to Coronado Springs Resort. We have stayed at POR several times and really love it! We have never stayed at Coronado Springs but it looks really nice (and I think it would be fun to stay at a new resort). Looking for some opinions of people who have stayed at both.
I should add that one of my concerns is the size of Coronado. Is it really bigger than POR? Also, another concern is the Pepper Market food court with the tip added (this can add up with 6 of us!). Is the tip 10% or is it 18% as a party of 6? Is it easy to get a table outside and take your food to go?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
We love both POR and Coronado. If you are in Ranchos Coronado could seem a bit bigger then POR, but really, its not that big. At both resorts people constantly exaggerate the length of the walks around the resorts. Unless you have a disability (in which case you can get preferred rooms or note it on your reservation and request a closer location like Cabanas) the walking is really not a deal breaker at all, totally manageable.

For the pepper market, we actually never really ate there, we always ate at Café Rix, which offers a bunch of QS options that you can sit outside with or take back to your room (we did the later) or we ate at the Maya Grill for TS (the Maya Grill is awesome).

CSR does have a better pool IMO, with better amenities as well, the hot tub is nicer, the beach volley ball courts, and the poolside bar/snack shack I enjoyed more, and CSR has a better TS, we weren't impressed with Boatwrights at POR at all. But, we loved POR as well, the boat ride to DTD, the landscaping, everything there was awesome, and they do have a better QS food court, quite good. Both are awesome resorts, you really can't go wrong with picking either. If the money is a big factor, maybe use that as the deciding factor.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the great feedback!
I am comparing 2 standard rooms at POR to 2 standard rooms at Coronado. We are currently booked under a bounce back at POR. The pricing for Coronado is from a Travel agent who has an agent exclusive deal for the beginning of December (the deal is not good at POR -- Coronado is the only moderate with a deal through the agent). This is why there is a price difference. I hope this makes sense.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
dminnie
DIS Veteran

The biggest issue with the size of CSR is that the pool is not located by the main food court area. many people complain about how BIG the mods are. Except for POFQ, they are all big! But, WDW is BIG! I don't think anyone can go there and not expect to walk a lot! (and look at a map of POFQ, you could walk a ways there too depending on where they put you... just sayin) We never pay for preferred, but look at a map of the resort and ask for something that looks like a reasonable walk for us. CSR is a beautiful resort and the walking didn't bother us at all. You might want to look at a map of CSR to see where you'd like to be. We were in Casitas 5 and really liked it. It was by the first bus stop(stop #2), so no chance of us having to stand on the bus and we got dropped off first. We were also near the health club and a great quiet pool that is by Casitas 4. It was about a 4-5 min. walk to the main pool OR to the main building for the Pepper Market.

There are 3 QS options: a limited selection at the pool bar, Cafe Rix and Pepper Market. Pepper market is the only one that charges a gratuity. I think it's 10%. That bothered us, so we just got ours "to go" and brought it back to the room. We only ate there once, but eating in our room just relaxing together is just what we needed that night. The chicken was really good btw.

We really like both POR and CSR. I give CSR a little edge because of the little extras like: duvet covers on beds, health club, nicer pool IMO, longer slide, larger hot tub, hammocks by the lake, sliding doors for bathroom vanity area and IMO generally just prettier(especially at night). There is only one sink in the bathroom, but we didn't find that an issue at all.

Not sure why there is such a huge price difference for you. Usually CSR is about $5 a night more than POR when you compare it room for room(standard/standard).
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for the great feedback!
I am comparing 2 standard rooms at POR to 2 standard rooms at Coronado. We are currently booked under a bounce back at POR. The pricing for Coronado is from a Travel agent who has an agent exclusive deal for the beginning of December (the deal is not good at POR -- Coronado is the only moderate with a deal through the agent). This is why there is a price difference. I hope this makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense. Also, for that price difference, I'd take CSR hands down! When it comes down to it, since they are both mods., they are both going to offer about the same things: same size room, approx. same size resort, same size beds, etc. So, getting one over the other for a few hundred dollars less...easy decision.

Also, I said Casitas 5 was a 4-5 min. walk to the pool OR the food court...We do have a tendency to walk a bit faster than the average person. I think the map you can find on-line may give distances...that may be helpful to you to figure out how long it takes based the the pace you walk at.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at POR several times and we do not find the walk to be a problem. I was just concerned because of what I read on DIS. Unless it is a whole lot bigger and longer walk than POR it will not be a problem. My DS7 has Juvenile Arthritis along with other orthopedic issues that can making walking difficult at time but we bring a stroller for him so not an issue. So at least I have settled that issue.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Both resorts are gorgeous. There are pro's & con's with both.

CSR:
Love the QS and mug-refills as well as arcade at the pool. Love the sand volleyball court. LOVE the buses! Best i've ever experienced! never had to stand, never had to wait more than 5 min!

POR:
Looove the food court. Its way better than CSR in my opinion. The resort isnt as big as CSR, which i love. POR is a good size. I find it prettier and more lush than CSR. So gorgeous. I love that POR has bike rentals on site, horse/carriage ride, yehaw bob, and a boat to DTD!

My fave between the two is POR for sure. But you cant go wrong with either.

When I was at CSR, the pepper market was a QS buffet for breakfast & lunch. I thought it was fabulous! They've put a stop to that thou, now its just a traditional QS. I like the buffet much better than the a la carte to be honest. I didnt like the traditional a la carte service at pepper market at all. As I said, I like the food choices at POR better. The make-your-own pasta and salad is delish.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the feedback!
I think I am going to switch over to the Coronado Springs. Now I just have to convince DH. He loves POR and is going to be hard to convince. Will just have to keep mentioning the $500.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I am assuming you are comparing the cost of two rooms vs two rooms from POR to CSR? Are you comparing different room types? I'm just surprised at the cost difference.

Anyway, I don't know if CSR is larger square foot wise, but the layout is not as nice as POR and therefore makes it feel larger, IMO. CSR surrounds a large lake so the only way to get from one end of the lake to the other is by walking around it. At POR, there are many bridges and pathways across the river so it makes it easier to cut through.

The tip at Pepper Market - not sure about the percentage, but it's also one thing I hate about it. We're staying in November and from everything I've read, it's easy to get your food to go and sit at one of the tables outside of the restaurant.
Quote:
Thank you for all the feedback!
I think I am going to switch over to the Coronado Springs. Now I just have to convince DH. He loves POR and is going to be hard to convince. Will just have to keep mentioning the $500.
This is incorrect. There is a bridge near the Dig SIte pool that takes you from one side of Lake Dorado to the other. You can walk afround the Lake if you want to-we do because we love it even when we've been very close to El Centro.

OP, I'd try CSR. We have our favorites, CSR being one of them, however, we LOVE trying out and staying at other Disney resorts. Some we've really liked and others we haven't. Knowing we're staying somewhere else adds to the trip excitement.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

I've stayed at both 2-3 times. Love them both.

Rooms: I prefer CSR they have these duvet type of comforters that are SOOO cozy!

Size: CSR feels bigger. If you want to be near the pool and feel more relaxed, ask for Ranchos. It's only about a 5 min walk to the food court and super pleasant. Casitas 1-3 are closer to the food court. Cabanas are also closer to the food court.

Now, POR has the boats to DTD and I like the landscaping there more than CSR.

Pools: CSR is bigger, has a longer slide, bigger hot tub, volley ball and a huge play area for the kids that is not too far off.

Bars: CSR has 3. Cafe Rix indoors and then it has one outside the food court and another by the pool.

Btw: CSR also has in room dining, a spa, a gym and like 3 quiet pools. You can't go wrong there!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Babsy
DIS Veteran

We love both POR and CSR, but if we were saving $500 we would switch to CSR in a minute!! Especially if you hven't stayed there yet - you may find a new favourite!

I don't think that CSR is any bigger than POR. We have stayed in the nether regions of both and never had a problem with the at most 10 minute walk (never actually timed it, but it never felt long to us). Bus stops encircle both resorts. If you think that it will be a problem, book preferred location rooms. They are very close. We've never spent the extra $$ for preferred beause the resorts are so lovely, sometimes walk around them just to enjoy the atmosphere. The rooms are just as nice all around El Dorado.

CSR pool is fabulous with a neat slide, and the hammocks on the beach in the cabanas section very relaxing. CSR seems a little more upscale to us and we definitely prefer the dining options. We don't mind the added tip at Pepper Market - we would be tipping anyway. Of course you have other options if you wish. The Maya Grill food is much better than Boatwrights, IMO

Definitely a good idea to switch and enjoy. It's exciting to try new resorts at WDW!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

I just talked to DH and he agreed to switch. It is a great chance to stay at another moderate and save $500. I feel very excited about this move and I am sure it will work out great for us!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
redefine6
Earning My Ears

I'll put a vote in for CSR. Stayed in August of 2012 and will be going back for the week of Halloween. Have a great time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: