Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #46
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangzoom6877 View Post
When I was a kid my mother would cook every single night...frozen food was not a part of our household (except ice cream in the freezer during the summer), and all I ever wanted to eat was raw carrots, apples, and yogurt. She gave me those every day to snack on, but I know it was a battle for her to get me to eat meat and other things. I hated cake and wouldn't eat it at family functions or on holidays! The only thing I would eat as a dessert was vanilla ice cream so my birthday cakes came from carvel but I only ate the vanilla and I didn't eat the crunchies. I would trade my sister my chocolate for her vanilla. As I got older, I tried more and more things. First meat of preference was a hamburger but without a bun. Then came chicken and steak, fish, shrimp, and a variety of other foods. Now I like a lot of different foods, and you would never even know how picky I was. I hated chocolate as a kid, and now I love it!

So, please don't judge people. Some people may have thought my mother was lazy because of the foods I preferred (easy to give a kid a yogurt out of the fridge or quickly wash an apple), but she was just the opposite. And she did make an effort to try and encourage me to try new foods. It was a battle every day and she never gave up on me.
I was super picky as a kid. My mom wanted to fight the battle with me - it always took over an hour for me to finish dinner every single night. My dad would sometimes intervene as the whining drove him nuts. He always said my I would develop my taste buds as I grew older. I know my parents were often frustrated when they couldn't eat in certain restaurants because my brother and I refused to eat there.

After I left home for college, I tried many new foods (too embarrassed to refuse when my parents were not there backing me up LOL!). Now in my 30s, I am grwing even more adventurous. I'm still a bit picky but I can eat pretty much anywhere now and enjoy trying new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
As for the post about it being odd that chicken nuggets seem to be the only food certain kids will eat, I don't think the poster was trying to be snarky. Just observational. Sure, there are kids who are picky and/or have sensory issues. But that can happen anywhere. What do kids in Bolivia or Ethiopia or Vietnam who have eating issues eat? Surely they do not survive on nuggets unless they are importing them from Costco in huge quantities. There has to be some element of learned behavior going on as there is no universal food that appeals to all picky eaters. I think the poster was simply pointing out that Dis Board posters seem to have a disproportionate percentage of kids who only eat nuggets, mac-n-cheese and plain pizza. That does seem to be the case, but thanks for so many others who chimed in and tell their side of the story with kids (or themselves) who craved only very different foods. That helps reset the issue and lessens the stereotype of kids who only want junk. That simply cannot be the case. When it comes to food issues, there are no limits to what a kid will want.
Picky kids are everywhere! I grew up in Asia - never saw pizza until I was 12! My parents were super excited when the first Pizza Hut opened. My brother and I were completely grossed out. Took us a couple of years before we started eating pizza. I refused to try garlic bread until I was 16 and my date ordered some. Discovered I loved it

While my brother adored cheese, I couldn't stand cheese or milk. To this day, there is no way I can chug down a glass of milk. The smell nauseates me although I can cook with it. Choc milk is fine though I rarely ate cheese before moving here at 19. Now I LOOOOOVVVEEE cheese.

Took me about 5 years to eat mac n cheese but now I do enjoy it.

Typical kid food is different everywhere in the world. On our last trip to my hometown, my uncle kept insisting on ordering the food when we were all together and would order "kid food" for my kids without consulting me. They typically refused to eat it as the kids food they are used to are pizza, nuggets, etc.

So what types of "kid food" did I eat? Fish balls (our version of meatballs), plain white rice with soy sauce, fried fish/chicken/whatever (fried stuff is good everywhere in the world!!), plain McDonald's burgers (It's the Golden Arches after all), fried noodles, fried rice, stir fries, Indian flatbreads, toast.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #47
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalea View Post
What has worked very well in our house is adopting the view that it is our job to provide healthy meals to the kids. That's it. We can't make them eat what we provide. We can (and do) reward them for making good choices, though.

I only make one meal. Last night dinner was taco stuffed zucchini boats, rice, baked corn chips, and jalapeno queso. Everyone (including my 8-yo and 3-yo) ate everything on their plates. Because they chose to eat their zucchini, they were allowed to have a few more chips with queso. If they had chosen not to eat the zucchini, they would not have been allowed seconds. Nor would they have been allowed to have dessert.

We don't fight about food. I don't beg them to eat. They choose to eat or not. I reward good choices; and when it comes to food the natural consequences of making bad choices is punishment enough.

Anyway, I am just sharing what has worked well with my crazies. They are both adventurous eaters, and we don't worry about them finding things to eat wherever we are.
I like that Reduces the frustrations at mealtimes. I think DH and I need to get better about offering more diverse options at home. We get stuck in the same old rut.

When we go to buffets, our rule is they have to TRY 3 new food items. All I ask is one proper bite. Then they can eat whatever they want.

We have slow eaters in our house, especially when they were younger. At about 7/8/9 we were so frustrated that finally, we decided to serve dinner much later. They had to wait until 7/8pm for dinner. By that time they were HUNGRY and would eat quickly with few complaints what we served.
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #48
bangzoom6877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) I said that this was not to be impolite to the caller.
2) But, if you have a line of guests waiting for service, they have priority.
3) Many have been waiting in line for 15-20 minutes or longer.
4) Should they wait an additional 10-15 minutes or more for a phone call?
5) Have you every been at a counter while the clerk was on the phone?
6) A phone call that seemed to take FOREVER?
7) It makes you feel less important than the caller, and ignored by the clerk.

NOTE: Taking care of guests in-line is the job. Taking calls from the
Call Center is a courtesy, just like when a Concierge checks-in people
when the front desk is busy. (The exception are phone calls from rooms
at the resort that dialed the desk, then re-rerouted by the Call Center).
I completely agree that it is necessary for a call center to handle the calls initially. We have waited in line to check in, and when we finally get to the front desk, nothing would aggravate me more than the CM telling me to just wait while taking a 15-minute phone call, or even a 5-minute phone call a that point. With the number of guests at a Disney resort during the busy summer time we vacation there, I'm sure there are tons of people calling the desk with various questions, some that take a few minutes to answer and some that take longer.

I had to call the front desk one evening on our trip last year. My son had suddenly gotten sick all over the floor in our villa at BWV. I had no cleaning products besides Clorox wipes, which are useless for a mess on carpet, so I called the front desk. Within a few minutes, a CM from maintenance was in our room cleaning the carpet. No problems at all with efficiency and I would never have known whether the actual front desk CM or a call center CM answered my call. I even emailed Disney to praise the efficient service we received, so my son could rest and get better soon thereafter without a CM being in the room cleaning the floor.

8/1985, off-site; 8/1989, off-site; 5/1992, HS trip off-site; 5/1994, HS trip off-site; 7/2008, 1st family trip Pop Century; 7/2010, 1st DVC trip BWV; 7/2012, 2nd DVC trip BWV; 7/2014, next DVC trip
bangzoom6877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #49
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There have been plenty of reports here that Be Our Guest will not provide chicken nuggets at either lunch or dinner, even when asked.

This isn't a parenting forum, when the discussion goes into that and doesn't stick to what is available to order in the Disney restaurants, it's usually time to close the thread.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #50
sb682
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
There have been plenty of reports here that Be Our Guest will not provide chicken nuggets at either lunch or dinner, even when asked.

This isn't a parenting forum, when the discussion goes into that and doesn't stick to what is available to order in the Disney restaurants, it's usually time to close the thread.
Thank you! OP asked whether there are chicken nuggets at all the restaurants. She didn't ask for advice on how to get her child to eat something different. Everyone has their hangups, for some people it's food, and I agree with OP that a family vacation should be a pleasure for everyone and not involve battles over meals.

OP, I would stick to restaurants that have something everyone in the family would like to eat. You may be able to get something not on the menu, but it's not a good idea to count on it, so go by the official menu when planning your ADRs. You can broaden your horizons when your DD is older.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #51
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

OP, my sister in law has the same issue when choosing ADRs. She looked at the All Ears menus and wrote down what her DD8 would eat at each restaurant they are hoping to book. It made the planning a lot easier for her because she knew there would be something at each restaurant. Her DD eats only chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, and hamburger (without the bun.)

My DD9 is pretty selective about foods too, but I've found that she'll often try new things when we're at Disney. I don't know if it's because she's so dang hungry from walking all day or everything just looks/smells so appealing. She is picky about odd things; for example, she likes strange foods (artichokes are her fave vegetable) and won't eat "normal" kid foods like mac & cheese. She only recently started eating mashed potatoes!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #52
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
I've always thought it's odd that the super picky eaters will only eat chicken nuggets, pizza, or the like. No one seems to have a picky child that will eat nothing but carrot sticks and apples. It's like they're only picky for unhealthy food that's very easy to prepare at home. Weird.
Nice way to be rude and judgemental. What exactly did you bring to the thread except having to be beyond rude! Hang out in some of the FP+ threads, you'll feel right at home.

To the OP - you can bring in counter service to the restaurants. At buffets, you would have to pay for her, even if she isn't eating there. Everywhere else you are fine.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #53
bangzoom6877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Nice way to be rude and judgemental. What exactly did you bring to the thread except having to be beyond rude! Hang out in some of the FP+ threads, you'll feel right at home.

To the OP - you can bring in counter service to the restaurants. At buffets, you would have to pay for her, even if she isn't eating there. Everywhere else you are fine.
And, many of the buffets do have chicken nuggets for kids right there on the buffet, especially character dinners. On All Ears they have some of the character meal menus so you could check them out and see which is best for her.

8/1985, off-site; 8/1989, off-site; 5/1992, HS trip off-site; 5/1994, HS trip off-site; 7/2008, 1st family trip Pop Century; 7/2010, 1st DVC trip BWV; 7/2012, 2nd DVC trip BWV; 7/2014, next DVC trip
bangzoom6877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: