Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
All but a very few 'designated' numbers go to a call center. If you hit the 'front desk' button on the phone in your resort room, it goes to a call center, and yes, they answer the resort name. Most of the call centers are not even in Florida, let alone on WDW property.

1) EVERY DAY, the resorts and the eateries get calls from the Call Center.
2) They say
. . . a guest wants to talk with us
. . . the guest has a "quick" question
. . . it is NEVER a quick question
. . . repeat, it is never a quick question
. . . we are told brief details of the call topic
. . . the Call Center asks if we will accept the call transfer
. . . the resort and restaurant usually refuses the call
. . . the Call Center then tries to answer the question
. . . or transfers the guest elsewhere
3) I have never taken such a call.
. . . there are other resources for guests to find answers
. . . most questions are very trivial
. . . there are usually people in line waiting for service or answers
. . . it would be inconsiderate to make a person wait to get a phone call
. . . especially since CM's find Call Center calls are not short calls
. . . I knew of few concierge or front desk folks who accept CC calls

NOTE: This is not impolite to the phone caller. It would be more impolite
to make people wait in line. After all, they have usually been in line many
minutes already while waiting for help.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Here is what you can do. As soon as you check into the restaurants that you know do not have nuggets on the menu, ask the hostess if she can find out if there is anyway the kitchen can get nuggets for your child. If the answer is no, have in mind a really close CS place that serves nuggets and have one parent run over and get some. The food court at WL should have them, and I am sure a CS close to LTT will as well. Perhaps she could make a meal or two of sides. Often a place can do a side of any veggie or fries or fruit tray.

l
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #33
bangzoom6877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
I've always thought it's odd that the super picky eaters will only eat chicken nuggets, pizza, or the like. No one seems to have a picky child that will eat nothing but carrot sticks and apples. It's like they're only picky for unhealthy food that's very easy to prepare at home. Weird.
When I was a kid my mother would cook every single night...frozen food was not a part of our household (except ice cream in the freezer during the summer), and all I ever wanted to eat was raw carrots, apples, and yogurt. She gave me those every day to snack on, but I know it was a battle for her to get me to eat meat and other things. I hated cake and wouldn't eat it at family functions or on holidays! The only thing I would eat as a dessert was vanilla ice cream so my birthday cakes came from carvel but I only ate the vanilla and I didn't eat the crunchies. I would trade my sister my chocolate for her vanilla. As I got older, I tried more and more things. First meat of preference was a hamburger but without a bun. Then came chicken and steak, fish, shrimp, and a variety of other foods. Now I like a lot of different foods, and you would never even know how picky I was. I hated chocolate as a kid, and now I love it!

So, please don't judge people. Some people may have thought my mother was lazy because of the foods I preferred (easy to give a kid a yogurt out of the fridge or quickly wash an apple), but she was just the opposite. And she did make an effort to try and encourage me to try new foods. It was a battle every day and she never gave up on me.

8/1985, off-site; 8/1989, off-site; 5/1992, HS trip off-site; 5/1994, HS trip off-site; 7/2008, 1st family trip Pop Century; 7/2010, 1st DVC trip BWV; 7/2012, 2nd DVC trip BWV; 7/2014, next DVC trip
bangzoom6877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #34
kom1977
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangzoom6877 View Post

So, please don't judge people. Some people may have thought my mother was lazy because of the foods I preferred (easy to give a kid a yogurt out of the fridge or quickly wash an apple), but she was just the opposite. And she did make an effort to try and encourage me to try new foods. It was a battle every day and she never gave up on me.
Thanks so much for posting this. Those of us who currently fight the battle all the time really appreciate hearing the success stories. It gives me the energy to fight tomorrow's battle in the most positive way possible .
kom1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #35
bangzoom6877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kom1977 View Post
Thanks so much for posting this. Those of us who currently fight the battle all the time really appreciate hearing the success stories. It gives me the energy to fight tomorrow's battle in the most positive way possible .
You're very welcome! Hang in there, it will get better. Keep trying and doing what you're doing. It's a battle for me to get my kids to eat veggies every day even though I always serve them at dinner. They only eat plain steamed broccoli and plain roasted carrots. So I make those every day. They have no problem eating fruit, and they love any kind of meat I cook. Although they prefer more plain things so if I make roasted chicken drumsticks, they will take off the skin and just eat the meat without the skin or the seasoning. I think that with some roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli is just fine.

8/1985, off-site; 8/1989, off-site; 5/1992, HS trip off-site; 5/1994, HS trip off-site; 7/2008, 1st family trip Pop Century; 7/2010, 1st DVC trip BWV; 7/2012, 2nd DVC trip BWV; 7/2014, next DVC trip
bangzoom6877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #36
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kom1977 View Post
You'll get there. I have four kids. The oldest (10) will eat anything. Loves spicy food, ceviche, sushi, curry. Loves it all. And if she doesn't, she will at least try it before she judges. Her sister, 9 in October, gags if you give her a grilled cheese sandwich with yellow, not white, American cheese. She is willing to eat grilled chicken now, and fish if it's trout or something not strongly flavored. Weirdly, she will eat squid. And I mean squid cooked in tomato sauce that looks like squid (not fried calimari). But try to give her Mac and cheese made with real cheese and not Kraft? Again with the gagging.
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #37
kandb
DIS Veteran

There are a lot worst things a child can be then picky. My son is 10 years old and has not eaten ANY meat for at least 7 years. He is an animal lover and refuses to eat it and I don't force him. He once said to me when he was 6 years old, "I'm not going to eat any of that flesh". He is also picky, eats mostly pizza, ravioli, yogurt, milk, fried calamari (new), quesadilla, pasta, and some fruits and vegetables. He is a great kid and I am not going to force him to eat foods he doesn't like. I know he is not not eating things other then he really doesn't like them.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #38
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post

1) EVERY DAY, the resorts and the eateries get calls from the Call Center.
2) They say
. . . a guest wants to talk with us
. . . the guest has a "quick" question
. . . it is NEVER a quick question
. . . repeat, it is never a quick question
. . . we are told brief details of the call topic
. . . the Call Center asks if we will accept the call transfer
. . . the resort and restaurant usually refuses the call
3) I have never taken such a call.
. . . there are other resources for guests to find answers
. . . most questions are very trivial
. . . there are usually people in line waiting for service or answers
. . . it would be inconsiderate to make a person wait to get a phone call
. . . especially since CM's find Call Center calls are not short calls
. . . I knew of few concierge or front desk folks who accept CC calls

NOTE: This is not impolite to the phone caller. It would be more impolite
to make people wait in line. After all, they have usually been in line many
minutes already while waiting for help.
So you'd rather let a call center cm(who are notorious for making up answers rather than actually finding the right one) take the call and waste the time of the person on the phone instead of taking the few minutes to do your job and answer someone's question?

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #39
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
So you'd rather let a call center cm(who are notorious for making up answers rather than actually finding the right one) take the call and waste the time of the person on the phone instead of taking the few minutes to do your job and answer someone's question?

1) I said that this was not to be impolite to the caller.
2) But, if you have a line of guests waiting for service, they have priority.
3) Many have been waiting in line for 15-20 minutes or longer.
4) Should they wait an additional 10-15 minutes or more for a phone call?
5) Have you every been at a counter while the clerk was on the phone?
6) A phone call that seemed to take FOREVER?
7) It makes you feel less important than the caller, and ignored by the clerk.

NOTE: Taking care of guests in-line is the job. Taking calls from the
Call Center is a courtesy, just like when a Concierge checks-in people
when the front desk is busy. (The exception are phone calls from rooms
at the resort that dialed the desk, then re-rerouted by the Call Center).
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #40
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
To whom do they transfer the call and can a guest call that person directly since the Call Center doesn't have all the answers?

As for the post about it being odd that chicken nuggets seem to be the only food certain kids will eat, I don't think the poster was trying to be snarky. Just observational. Sure, there are kids who are picky and/or have sensory issues. But that can happen anywhere. What do kids in Bolivia or Ethiopia or Vietnam who have eating issues eat? Surely they do not survive on nuggets unless they are importing them from Costco in huge quantities. There has to be some element of learned behavior going on as there is no universal food that appeals to all picky eaters. I think the poster was simply pointing out that Dis Board posters seem to have a disproportionate percentage of kids who only eat nuggets, mac-n-cheese and plain pizza. That does seem to be the case, but thanks for so many others who chimed in and tell their side of the story with kids (or themselves) who craved only very different foods. That helps reset the issue and lessens the stereotype of kids who only want junk. That simply cannot be the case. When it comes to food issues, there are no limits to what a kid will want.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #41
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:

1) I said that this was not to be impolite to the caller.
2) But, if you have a line of guests waiting for service, they have priority.
3) Many have been waiting in line for 15-20 minutes or longer.
4) Should they wait an additional 10-15 minutes or more for a phone call?
5) Have you every been at a counter while the clerk was on the phone?
6) A phone call that seemed to take FOREVER?
7) It makes you feel less important than the caller, and ignored by the clerk.

NOTE: Taking care of guests in-line is the job. Taking calls from the
Call Center is a courtesy, just like when a Concierge checks-in people
when the front desk is busy. (The exception are phone calls from rooms
at the resort that dialed the desk, then re-rerouted by the Call Center).
That may not be your intention, but I do believe it is rude to the person on the phone. And believe me waiting for someone to get off the phone so I can ask a question is a frequent occurrence in my life. My husband sells insurance from home, every time I need him for something he seems to be on the phone with a customer who takes forever. I still believe it is rude to refuse to take a call and stick them with a call center cm who probably doesn't know the answer to the question.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #42
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Once you are on property it is sometimes easier to get a direct call through to one of the restaurants. I suspect resort ones easier than in the parks. We were running late for an ADR at Artist Point at WL and I wanted to let them know that we were on the way so we would not be charged the no show fee. I can't remember who I called first, either front desk or concierge at my resort and they were able to connect me with the restaurant. It's worth a try once you get there.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #43
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Yes exactly. For those who took it literally and thought the poster meant carrot sticks and apples for dinner, Lol! I believe that was just an example of foods. I think the poster was just indicating an observation. Its a good point too.
Quote:
I've always thought it's odd that the super picky eaters will only eat chicken nuggets, pizza, or the like. No one seems to have a picky child that will eat nothing but carrot sticks and apples. It's like they're only picky for unhealthy food that's very easy to prepare at home. Weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
I think this poster was commenting on the fact that many picky eaters tend to eat fast foods rather than healthier fruits and vegetables. She had never heard of picky eaters who only ate fruits and vegetables.

Very good point. I agree 100%. My son was picky when he was younger, like 2 or so. But I didnt give him the option of eating only nuggets because thats what he wanted. I gave him what we cooked, no other options were available to him. He's a great eater now, quite adventurous! Although I do understand that every kid is different and that some have sensory issues. I do not know what its like to deal with those things. Koodos to parents who do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
To whom do they transfer the call and can a guest call that person directly since the Call Center doesn't have all the answers?

As for the post about it being odd that chicken nuggets seem to be the only food certain kids will eat, I don't think the poster was trying to be snarky. Just observational. Sure, there are kids who are picky and/or have sensory issues. But that can happen anywhere. What do kids in Bolivia or Ethiopia or Vietnam who have eating issues eat? Surely they do not survive on nuggets unless they are importing them from Costco in huge quantities. There has to be some element of learned behavior going on as there is no universal food that appeals to all picky eaters. I think the poster was simply pointing out that Dis Board posters seem to have a disproportionate percentage of kids who only eat nuggets, mac-n-cheese and plain pizza. That does seem to be the case, but thanks for so many others who chimed in and tell their side of the story with kids (or themselves) who craved only very different foods. That helps reset the issue and lessens the stereotype of kids who only want junk. That simply cannot be the case. When it comes to food issues, there are no limits to what a kid will want.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #44
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
I think this poster was commenting on the fact that many picky eaters tend to eat fast foods rather than healthier fruits and vegetables. She had never heard of picky eaters who only ate fruits and vegetables.
That's how I understood the post too

5/05 Pop, 12/06 POFQ, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 All Star Movies, 4/09 CBR/AKV/Disney Wonder, 12/11 Pop, 11/13 All Star Music, 11/14 CSR
momto2inKC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #45
Kalea
Mouseketeer

What has worked very well in our house is adopting the view that it is our job to provide healthy meals to the kids. That's it. We can't make them eat what we provide. We can (and do) reward them for making good choices, though.

I only make one meal. Last night dinner was taco stuffed zucchini boats, rice, baked corn chips, and jalapeno queso. Everyone (including my 8-yo and 3-yo) ate everything on their plates. Because they chose to eat their zucchini, they were allowed to have a few more chips with queso. If they had chosen not to eat the zucchini, they would not have been allowed seconds. Nor would they have been allowed to have dessert.

We don't fight about food. I don't beg them to eat. They choose to eat or not. I reward good choices; and when it comes to food the natural consequences of making bad choices is punishment enough.

Anyway, I am just sharing what has worked well with my crazies. They are both adventurous eaters, and we don't worry about them finding things to eat wherever we are.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: