Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #106
emilily88
So fetch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Disney is going to concentrate on franchises and take less risks on original concepts.

Avatar is barely a franchise... it's one movie (granted, with more in the works, but it's not uncommon for studios to scrap a movie before it gets off the ground) that was popular when it first came out, but that no one talks about anymore... The main reason it was the biggest box office hit of all time was because 3D was still new and exciting and they charged twice the ticket price for the 3D showings.

WDW 2000, 2002
High School Musical Kansas premiere 2007
Lion King Gazelle Tour 2013
emilily88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #107
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilily88 View Post

Avatar is barely a franchise... it's one movie (granted, with more in the works, but it's not uncommon for studios to scrap a movie before it gets off the ground) that was popular when it first came out, but that no one talks about anymore... The main reason it was the biggest box office hit of all time was because 3D was still new and exciting and they charged twice the ticket price for the 3D showings.
You are 110% correct in your points...

Let the ultimately incorrect counterarguments commence
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #108
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilily88 View Post
you guys done with this argument yet lol
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #109
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post

you guys done with this argument yet lol
Only when consensus is reached
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #110
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

I know I am in the minority, but I am holding out hope for some cool rides in Avatarland and am looking forward to what they come up with. I thought the movie was just average, but I think visually it was stunning and that could make for a pretty "land" to check out at AK. I will be disappointed if there isn't SOME thrill ride out of this...

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #111
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
I know I am in the minority, but I am holding out hope for some cool rides in Avatarland and am looking forward to what they come up with. I thought the movie was just average, but I think visually it was stunning and that could make for a pretty "land" to check out at AK. I will be disappointed if there isn't SOME thrill ride out of this...
thats just it...i dont think you re in the minority...i think there is certainly a group that hate the idea but they are smaller than you think...protesters are always the loudest
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #112
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

and by incorrect counterarguments you mean facts right lol
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #113
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:

My biggest counter-argument/disagreement with their comments was in the line "3D was still new and exciting....."

At the time Avatar came out, 3D had been out (on this round) for a little while already and was already starting to be seen as a overpriced gimmick by many many people. 3D had also come and gone in the theaters numerous times before and never really got beyond just a cheap fad (anybody remember Jaws 3D? Friday the 13th 3d? etc).

What Avatar did was change everyone's impression of what 3D could do. Prior to this movie, the large majority of 3D films used the 3D effects for the cheap "Look! I'm floating over the audience" kind of tricks. The same type of effects used for YEARS at the Disney Parks with films like Magic Journeys, Captain EO, Honey I shrunk the Audience, and Muppet 4D. What Avatar ended up doing was using the 3D not to give us the impression of things flying over our heads or right at us, But to give the world within the movie a depth that we hadn't really seen before like that.

It was that depth, combined with the really beautiful environment which Cameron created, That truly made the movie stand out and made people think they had to see the movie in the theaters. Those floating islands just didn't have the same impact in 2D.

so yes... Avatar can credit the higher 3D priced tickets for it's status at the top of the box office records, but I think that credit really needs to be given to Cameron for creating a film that actually used the 3D technology in a way people were not used too, and creating such a beautiful vista which took advantage of the technology, that the movie going public felt that they needed to spend that extra money to go see the 3D version of the movie in the theater instead of saving money on the cheaper 2D version of the film, or just waiting for the home release.

Quote:
Only when consensus is reached
Um... Are you feeling ok?

A consensus? around here?

We can't even get everybody to agree on simple things around here, you of all people should know that a consensus on a hot topic like the Pandora project is never going to happen.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #114
newdeal
DIS Veteran

lol at everyone saying they wont go there. Not only will you go there but it will likely be awesome. All they need to do is change the name to something else and people would think its awesome.
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #115
twebber55
DIS Veteran

http://collider.com/avatar-breaks-dv...rst-four-days/

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...x#.Uhye4X-F5HA

yep its coming (maybe/probably)
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Last edited by twebber55; 08-27-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #116
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
What Avatar did was change everyone's impression of what 3D could do. Prior to this movie, the large majority of 3D films used the 3D effects for the cheap "Look! I'm floating over the audience" kind of tricks. The same type of effects used for YEARS at the Disney Parks with films like Magic Journeys, Captain EO, Honey I shrunk the Audience, and Muppet 4D. What Avatar ended up doing was using the 3D not to give us the impression of things flying over our heads or right at us, But to give the world within the movie a depth that we hadn't really seen before like that.
You'll probably laugh at this comparison but here goes.

I didn't get to see Avatar in theaters but I did get to see My Bloody Valentine 3D. I remember the thing that really impressed me about the movie wasn't things popping out at me but a scene looking into a mine shaft. The 3D effect really gave it a sense of depth that I hadn't seen in a 3D film before.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #117
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

You know whats funny about all of this? Here everyone is up in arms about a land being modeled after Avatar. When in actuality I think it has the potential to be quite stunning and may even provoke more interest in the movie and characters. Then you have something like Pixar that is incredibly popular and SOOOO much could be done with a land or something being themed after Pixar movies and characters and what do we have to show for that? Pixar Place?! LAME!! So much could be done with a Pixar Place, the imagineers really slacked on that one. There's ONE Pixar ride and barely any theming. Prob not comparable but I'm just saying...

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #118
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

I was in the crowd that thought this was a lame idea, and thought the movie was silly.

My wife and I forced ourselves to watch the film this weekend since we take so many trips to WDW, and her favorite park is AK.

After seeing the film, call us hyped. We are totally on board for this now. It totally fits the park and it's general theme and ideals. It fits the whole "circle of life" idea perfectly. For those of the mindset that this is all fine and dandy, but other movies are more deserving of their own areas, I think most that are being brought up would have a home at MK. MK is STACKED at the moment, and I think the other parks need to most attention.

Epcot is likely fine, though it has quite a bit of dead attractions/pavilions onsite that could use some attention. However, as long as the World Showcase exists, and Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Soarin' are active...Epcot is going to be a top park as it is the most adult park Disney has to offer. Hollywood Studios is desperately in need of an update...and honestly could be bulldozed and started over and I doubt many would be that upset as long as they left TSM, TT, and RRC. They've got Star Wars in progress though, and I personally think that is enough to have it's own park, forget about its own land, so once that's done, Disney is going to have bought plenty of time to work on DHS, and will have revenue pouring in. See Wizarding World at IoA. The wife and I go there every couple trips, see Wizarding World and leave. We have no interest in anything else there, but WW in itself is worth the admission. I think it's safe to say Star Wars is more popular than Harry Potter. Animal Kingdom, however, is already a great park, and has most of the pieces in place. But I thought the same about my Washington Redskins before RG3. We were a good team, but were lacking that QB to really push us into relevancy. That's AK. They just need that one more piece to put them up there with Epcot and MK. I know I've always gotten bored by lunchtime there. My wife could go all day because she's in love with animals. Once I've road the safari, I'm over the animals. Avatar will change AK from a 1/2-3/4 day park to a full day park...or at least until closing park for me.

Pandora is gorgeous, and totally doable for Imagineers. I originally had an issue with seeing where it would fit. Animal Kingdom seems like such a reality based park...but I talked myself out of that when I remembered that Beastly Kingdom was supposed to happen. I see this as just taking the place of that land. It really fits that quite nicely.

Anyone who has not seen the film and is placing judgement on this, I highly recommend you check out the movie and give it a chance. I had no interest whatsoever in it, and now I'm glad Disney had this idea because I would have likely never seen this film.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13

Last edited by Son of Gadsden; 09-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #119
amberpi
DIS Veteran

I thought that fern gulley had a better story than Avatar, but I think that the theme and what they could produce could be amazing. I'm just glad they are adding some attractions at Animal Kingdom. They could call the land dino doodoo if they added something to make it worth spending more than 3-4 hours there

Now, let's talk about some new countries in Epcot...no way, ok, a girl can wish...
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #120
Maleficent Dragon
ºoº A wondrous future lies before you! ºoº

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
Looks about exciting as HEMORRHOID LAND from looking at some of the feedback from D23

You are my new favorite person on the boards.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: