Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #91
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Another reason there's no beastly kingdom and never will is because most of the ideas could be found in the opening day IOA
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #92
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I am usually Mr. Positive, but I'll gonna tell you straight up why there is no Beastly Kingdom: Name Recognition

Sure - the folks on this board would've been pumped to see Beastly Kingdom - this group of fans that make up what 1 % of the demographic going to Disney World...the 1 % that is going to go NO MATTER WHAT, which is why we are the easiest to ignore.

Criticize Avatar all you want - but you and everyone else on the planet knows what it is. And Cameron is now claiming (I say "claim" because he's not Mr. Reliable.) that he will be putting out THREE more movies, which again like it or not will probably be IMMENSELY popular worldwide.

So, what I say - for those that complain - pretend Avatar doesn't exist. Instead, when you visit this land, imagine you are in Beastly Kingdom: a land full of mythical creatures and amazing foliage like something out of a fantasy world...cause that's what it is...whether or not it's called Pandora or Beastly Kingdom or the World of Pokemon.
Well said as always
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #93
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

I'm with you, Pete...

But I'll take it to a little more sinister place.

Beastly whatever....is DOA because of no commercials synergy or tie ins...

I doubt we'll ever see another ride or major addition built without direct film, TV or other media correlation:

Why? You guessed it...to sell cheap commercial Chinese crap in giftshops
(I know... I tend to harp on this... But do you know why? Because its always 150% true!!!
Everybody loves a winner ;p )

Also... Don't overlook James Cameron....

It's maybe wasn't always Disney's way. (Actually this is EXACTLY star tours 20 years later)...but the fact that Cameron is loaded and can blow alot of his own cash on this is a prime draw.

Yes, your hundreds of billions of dollars of entertainment megacorporation wants a coupon off its bill.

That made avatar a "winner" out at the Dwarf Building.

Also...on a lighter note... We've all heard that the destruction of "beastly kingdom" was the scorned imagineers to universal... But I think that is a little more urban legend than truth in some ways.

That area was scrapped for budget and no other reason. The damn park cost too much... And chief accountants Eisner had to pull the plug.

Rumored costs were 2-3 billion and they opened with nothing...and if you want a culprit there... Blame crazy joe rhode...

A true " artist " with the economic instincts of a drunken college freshman at his first frat party.

Beastly kingdom was probably never going to be built... Lets Be honest...animal kingdom changed Disney forever - I believe - when they brutally found out that "sky was no longer the limit"

The budget was...and led to more disaster in the run 4 of "cheap parks"
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 08-22-2013 at 09:51 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #94
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I doubt we'll ever see another ride or major addition built without direct film, TV or other media correlation:
I thought that was what I was saying. I agree with this exactly. It will be a long time before we ever get another area not specifically themed to an existing property. EE was probably the last...though maybe they will prove us wrong with the imagination refurb...though "figment" may count as an existing property.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #95
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

You know, Australia has name recognition, cool animals, the possibility of an interesting themed ride...and seems to fit better with Africa and Asia as themed "lands".
Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #96
old lady
DIS Veteran

Space Mountain= no movie
Pirates of the Caribbean= spawned a movie based on the ride
Splash Mountain= an obscure cartoon
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad= no movie
Expedition Everest= no Movie
Kilimanjaro Safari= no movie
Haunted Mansion= spawned a movie based on the ride (a very bad movie too)
Soarin=no movie
Rockin Roller Coaster= no movie

You forgot the Country bears disaster. I wish they wouldn't mess with those rides and not make them movies. They don't need movies to advertise them or to promote their parks. Those posters that they had under Disney Railroad were fine and they have plenty of commericals online and T.V.
I have no problem with making rides out of movies, but I prefer making rides not based on movies. The rides without movies are better or without being based on movies are better in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #97
old lady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
You know, Australia has name recognition, cool animals, the possibility of an interesting themed ride...and seems to fit better with Africa and Asia as themed "lands".
That sounds like a good idea or maybe focusing on other neglected lands of interest.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #98
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Katherine View Post
I'm joining this! I hate this idea! I would rather have any other land in AK then a stupid movie. I did not like the movie. This will drive me away! I'm more excited about death than this recent development! If they go through with this I will never enter that area again. Ew.

Katie
This has to be 1 of the top most stupid posts on the Dis!

I'm going through life saving treatment right now and your saying you would rather die then ride Avatar ride......please grow up!

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #99
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I thought that was what I was saying. I agree with this exactly. It will be a long time before we ever get another area not specifically themed to an existing property. EE was probably the last...though maybe they will prove us wrong with the imagination refurb...though "figment" may count as an existing property.
It goes one step further than that. After the Lone Ranger film bombed, I believe Disney said they would no longer make films based on new properties. (they consider Lone Ranger a "new" property because it's been out of the public consciousness for a while)

So we'll get rides recycled from a movie which are recycled from an older movie or TV show or comic book...
Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #100
Suger Mag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
It goes one step further than that. After the Lone Ranger film bombed, I believe Disney said they would no longer make films based on new properties. (they consider Lone Ranger a "new" property because it's been out of the public consciousness for a while)

So we'll get rides recycled from a movie which are recycled from an older movie or TV show or comic book...
That makes no sense... Lone Ranger so old it is new? I can't believe Disney would ever say NO they will NEVER use a new property idea... I think Disney is open to whatever they think will make them money... old or new.

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #101
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Also...on a lighter note... We've all heard that the destruction of "beastly kingdom" was the scorned imagineers to universal... But I think that is a little more urban legend than truth in some ways.

That area was scrapped for budget and no other reason. The damn park cost too much... And chief accountants Eisner had to pull the plug.
I'm thinking and my interpretation of the story is a combination of the 2. Beastly Kingdom got cut for budget reasons..... and with the project cut because of budget, the imagineers working on that project became unneeded weight who were also cut to save even more $$$

Those imagineers then got hired by Universal, and even if they didn't intentionally scuttle Beastly Kingdom by directly porting the ideas, Because they were so heavily involved in that BK project and now were working on the Lost Continent which dealt with a similar premise of legends and myths you ended up with a lot of overlap in the design, feel, and look of the 2 projects.

It's only logical that if you've been researching and designing ideas on a subject for awhile, that those core ideas and research are going to flavor 2 different projects worked on by the same people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
But it doesn't fit the missing "originally intended" piece of the AK park.... The 'mythical beasts'. There is a reason a Dragon is on the official logo for the park, and one of the parking lot sections is called "Unicorn".

Quote:
Originally Posted by old lady View Post
Space Mountain= no movie
Pirates of the Caribbean= spawned a movie based on the ride
Splash Mountain= an obscure cartoon
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad= no movie
Expedition Everest= no Movie
Kilimanjaro Safari= no movie
Haunted Mansion= spawned a movie based on the ride (a very bad movie too)
Soarin=no movie
Rockin Roller Coaster= no movie

You forgot the Country bears disaster. I wish they wouldn't mess with those rides and not make them movies. They don't need movies to advertise them or to promote their parks. Those posters that they had under Disney Railroad were fine and they have plenty of commericals online and T.V.
I have no problem with making rides out of movies, but I prefer making rides not based on movies. The rides without movies are better or without being based on movies are better in my opinion.
The point he was making is that the days of Disney creating new and unique IP for an attraction are over. Everything they are designing today has to have some sort of tie in with an existing property in order to increase it's ability to generate revenue thru merchandise sales. The majority of the attractions you listed were designed before Eisner started his push for synergy within the parks. The ones not predating Eisner are the exception and not the rule, and often have another reason or design aspect that gets them out from that requirement....

Expedition Everest= I'm going to say this one's ability to avoid the tie-in is a combination of Animal Kingdoms need for a major E-Ticket, The location within the park being already themed for Asia, and the lack of a good well known property which it could be tied in around. That being said... It's another monument to Rodhe's addiction to 'artistry', realism, and 'attention to detail' at the expense of keeping a budget intact. You could also make an arguement that it's a modern version of Disneyland's Matterhorn....complete with a Yeti encounter.

Kilimanjaro Safari= True, But it's also an Animal Safari. Not much room to theme it around a Disney Property, and it's actually lost a lot of the story it once had. It could also be said that when AK first opened they had a very minimal presence of existing Disney Properties as they were very focused on the edutainment and 'realism' within the park. [it was the drive for synergy and hopefully improving the park's draw that helped force the retheme of Countdown to Extinction to "Dinosaur"]

Soarin= Direct Clone of a California Adventure attraction which was designed to showcase the many different environments and "adventures" available within the state of California. Honestly, You could almost say that 'Soarin' is designed to be synergistic with the California Adventure park as a whole in that it's taking you on a California Adventure. (The attraction's name in California was/is 'Soarin' over California'. The film is the same in Florida and California)

Rockin Roller Coaster= No movie.... true... But it has Aerosmith as it's tie-in/draw. The synergy or existing property requirement isn't limited to a Movie. Just like the Kim Possible Adventures and now the Agent P stuff in the World Showcase are based on TV Shows, Disney can base their new attractions on any existing property and tie that in for merchandise or marketting purposes. It's that completely virgin ideas for attractions that they have an issue with these days.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #102
DisDynasty
Earning My Ears

Seems like a lot of people are upset on this new land. I'm actually curious about it, I myself don't care for the movie either but I think Disney will put a very impressive "Disney magic" into these attractions in this new land, that will make it appeal to us after all. But that's just my opinion. I haven't been disappointed in much of any of Disney's work, so I'm confident this land is going to be better then what some of you are expecting. I do agree there are some other safer, maybe even better and bigger routes Disney could have gone but hey, we're getting something new to experience.

Maybe I'm more passive and curious because I first heard this land was coming back on my 2011 trip! Seems so long ago. But anyways so this wasn't any "new" news to me when it broke out on the boards, this has been in the makes since way before any of us even had a clue. I was told in 2011 that once the final avatar film was done or close to done, so wouldn't the new land in AK. I was also told about the rides (which I know that may be totally off) but who knows maybe that source was good since its now official almost three years later. Anyways I'm curious, not against it, something new to experience folks, it's coming so why not embrace it right
DisDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #103
SkaGoat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Soarin= Direct Clone of a California Adventure attraction which was designed to showcase the many different environments and "adventures" available within the state of California. Honestly, You could almost say that 'Soarin' is designed to be synergistic with the California Adventure park as a whole in that it's taking you on a California Adventure. (The attraction's name in California was/is 'Soarin' over California'. The film is the same in Florida and California)
Don't you want your attractions to be "synergistic", you want attractions to fit together, and make sense in your lands, and parks. I think there are equal groups saying they want Disney to build attractions that aren't based on movies, as there are people who say Disney should leverage the IP they already own, and build more attractions based on that.

I could care less right now what they do, I just want them to build attractions.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #104
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
I could care less right now what they do, I just want them to build attractions.
To me, Soarin is a big travelog. I wasn't terribly impressed. Now it is a big travelog in a really cool theater with cool seats, but I am hoping they will come up with a new more exciting film. It would be a lot better if it was based on a movie.

And I am only half kidding.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #105
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
That makes no sense... Lone Ranger so old it is new? I can't believe Disney would ever say NO they will NEVER use a new property idea... I think Disney is open to whatever they think will make them money... old or new.
What I said wasn't entirely correct.

Disney is going to concentrate on franchises and take less risks on original concepts. Lone Ranger hadn't been done in a while so they didn't consider that a franchise or proven property.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: