Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #76
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer Chump View Post
Adjusted for inflation, "Gone With the Wind" is the highest grossing movie. Avatar is #14.

It is however the highest grossing movie with the theme that humans and especially Americans (and their military) are evil. Which goes perfectly with AK's theming.
number 2 actually...world wide...and im certainly no liberal but pandora can be an incredible theme park addition.....whether your anti environment or not...people and even americans sometimes arent the good guys..its just a movie..the movie has nothing to do with how good this addition will be.... the d23 teaser showed in videos highlighted the peaceful part of avatar...i bet you a years membership to this site the military will never be mentioned lol

before judging it maybe give it a shot
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #77
twebber55
DIS Veteran

it will be interesting where JC takes avatar 2 and will any of that will be incorporated in avatar land
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #78
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

I'm neither For or Against AVATAR the movie.

And that won't matter to me once this whole thing is done.
I just hope if fun, innovative and cool!!

BUT, if this is all WDW can do to answer Universal's HP, then WDW is sadly mistaken.

An announcement of BEASTLY KINGDOM would make world headlines and create unmeasurable anticipation without question.

WHO are these guys making the decisions anyway?
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #79
Darkwing981
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1626 View Post
I'm neither For or Against AVATAR the movie.

And that won't matter to me once this whole thing is done.
I just hope if fun, innovative and cool!!

BUT, if this is all WDW can do to answer Universal's HP, then WDW is sadly mistaken.

An announcement of BEASTLY KINGDOM would make world headlines and create unmeasurable anticipation without question.

WHO are these guys making the decisions anyway?
Why the creative and imaginative company stockholders of course.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but still holding out hope that they'll shelve this whole thing.

Why not just revive the Beastly Kingdom concept? And if they really went on a creative streak, do something similar to New Fantasy Land with park visitors being transported to lands based on The Jungle Book, The Lion King ,Pocahontas and Tarzan? But I guess Uncle Bob probably wouldn't like that because he wants more franchises in the parks.
Darkwing981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #80
mdutch39
Earning My Ears

To be honest, I don't like the movie, and at one point I was not pleased with this idea. Of course after seeing so many arguments on this thing, I am not holding any expectations for it. I know this may not be relevant, but I love The Little Mermaid. I can watch the movie on repeat. But I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the new attraction at MK. With that said, this makes me feel as though I never know what to expect from Disney. They took a great movie and made the attraction...meh not so good. Maybe they can take a bad movie and turn it in to something...meh pretty good. We shall all have to see.

One more note - to all of those saying "you probably haven't seen Song Of the South, so how could you like Splash Mountain blahdy blah." It's because Splash Mountain is a great ride on its own. I did not know SotS even existed until a few years ago (I'm still young, I promise. And people are too sensitive.) but Splash Mountain has been my favorite ride since I can remember. I don't think that argument is valid in this situation because we don't know if "avatar land" will be an attraction that they could have made without the movie, and be entertaining. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else. I guess just keep an open mind while going into it, because maybe you will be surprised. Or, like when I went on the mermaid attraction, maybe you won't be surprised and will be a little pissed off.

Are we not adults on here...? Like...grow up. Disney has been around long enough to make their own decisions, and if it flops, then even more congratulations to Universal for creating a Harry Potter world.

Military Wife & Disney Lover. be there December 15-18.
mdutch39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #81
Eaglefan9727
Mouseketeer

I never liked the movie, So I think this whole thing about a Avatarland is just plain dumb in my opinion.
Eaglefan9727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #82
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglefan9727 View Post
I never liked the movie, So I think this whole thing about a Avatarland is just plain dumb in my opinion.
LOL, and here we are YET again.

Would this make sense to you, if said 25 years ago...

I never liked the movie, So I think this whole thing about a Splash Mountain based on Song of the South characters is just plain dumb in my opinion.

The movie is just a reference point, to provide visual concepts that people may recognize. Though, the theme of the movie (conservation, protecting the environment that we live in, living in harmony with nature) not only fits the Animal Kingdom to a T, but the look/visual concepts fit in perfectly as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #83
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutch39 View Post
One more note - to all of those saying "you probably haven't seen Song Of the South, so how could you like Splash Mountain blahdy blah." It's because Splash Mountain is a great ride on its own. I did not know SotS even existed until a few years ago (I'm still young, I promise. And people are too sensitive.) but Splash Mountain has been my favorite ride since I can remember. I don't think that argument is valid in this situation because we don't know if "avatar land" will be an attraction that they could have made without the movie, and be entertaining. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else. I guess just keep an open mind while going into it, because maybe you will be surprised. Or, like when I went on the mermaid attraction, maybe you won't be surprised and will be a little pissed off.

Military Wife & Disney Lover. be there December 15-18.
This is exactly what most rational people are trying to say, though... these people have no idea what the attractions are going to be like, and they are blasting the thing anyway. Most people know nothing about Song of the South, yet Splash Mountain is one of the most popular rides at the Disney Parks, because it is a great attraction. And the movie was over 45 years old when the attraction opened, not just 6 or 7 years old with 3 sequels on the way. If they build a great attraction in an immersive environment for Pandora (or Avatar Land or whatever), then there is no reason to not love it, especially because you didn't like the movie.

It's funny, because Song of the South did really well... $65M in 1946 on a $2.1M budget... and of course Avatar did really well... highest grossing movie of all time. Using some online inflation calculators, that $65M in 1946 would be close to $800M today.

Hope you have a great time on your visit in December!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #84
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSkinner View Post
Obvously I must have watched a different movie than some of the respondants here. Flowers and trees that glow, mythical looking animals. A society that is centered on taking care of their environment and living in harmony with it. Did I miss something or doesn't this sound like something the Imagineers could go all out with.

I enjoyed the movie but have to admit I love the concept for Disney and can't wait to see what they do with it. The scenery with glowing plants and floating mountains has huge potential but even more so with all the flying machines, flying animals, ground machines, ground animals, Navi, etc ... I just think the over the top Avatar storyline has a ton of potential for Disney to do amazing things with.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #85
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post

I enjoyed the movie but have to admit I love the concept for Disney and can't wait to see what they do with it. The scenery with glowing plants and floating mountains has huge potential but even more so with all the flying machines, flying animals, ground machines, ground animals, Navi, etc ... I just think the over the top Avatar storyline has a ton of potential for Disney to do amazing things with.
This exactly!

Trust the Disney force, Luke.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #86
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

I agree that I was not thrilled that they are basing an entire land on one single movie. But the land in the movie was beautiful and I think it has potential to be a nice spot to visit, lush landscapes blend very well with the ecological aspects of the park. I am curious to see how it turns out. I had never watched one single Harry Potter movie and nor do I care to, but they did such a fantastic job in that section of Universal that I am visiting in Dec and very much looking fwd to it. I know the 2 aren't really comparable as Harry Potter was a huge phenomenon that spanned many years but I think the point is depending on how well Avatarland is put together, it can attract even the strongest of non believers...or deter the biggest fans. Only time will tell!

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #87
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
When people start saying that “Avatarland is going to be stupid because the movie was stupid” and similar such statements, I like to reference Waterworld. It was one of the biggest box office bombs of all time and panned by critics and movie goers.

However, Universal was able to use this movie to make what is considered to be one of the best theme park shows in existence.
Actually, Waterworld did well at the box office. It pulled in over 260m which wasn't blockbuster status but definitely not bad in 1995. I agree that it is still a crappy movie but it did make money (unfortunately).
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #88
Disney Blues
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco

Actually, Waterworld did well at the box office. It pulled in over 260m which wasn't blockbuster status but definitely not bad in 1995. I agree that it is still a crappy movie but it did make money (unfortunately).
Yeah but it cost $250 million to make
Disney Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #89
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing981 View Post
Why the creative and imaginative company stockholders of course.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but still holding out hope that they'll shelve this whole thing.

Why not just revive the Beastly Kingdom concept? And if they really went on a creative streak, do something similar to New Fantasy Land with park visitors being transported to lands based on The Jungle Book, The Lion King ,Pocahontas and Tarzan? But I guess Uncle Bob probably wouldn't like that because he wants more franchises in the parks.
One of the big reasons? Because many of the basic ideas, look, and even an attraction idea for the Beastly kingdom project ended up being built over at Universal as part of the Lost Continent area of the Islands of Adventure park.

After Disney laid off a lot of the Imagineers who were working on that part of the Animal Kingdom project, They ended up getting hired by Universal Creative. Even if the exact concepts where now owned by Disney, the general ideas and the people behind those ideas where now part o the Universal family after Disney let the creative people go. Because of that relationship, I have a hard time seeing Disney being able to pull off the Original Beastly Kingdom plans without having them seem very derivative of aspects of the Lost Continent. [which would look even worse since the Lost Continent lost a large part of it's area when Harry Potter phase 1 was built, so it could appear that Disney decided to invest in an idea that Universal decided was the easiest to get rid of for an expansion]
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #90
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I am usually Mr. Positive, but I'll gonna tell you straight up why there is no Beastly Kingdom: Name Recognition

Sure - the folks on this board would've been pumped to see Beastly Kingdom - this group of fans that make up what 1 % of the demographic going to Disney World...the 1 % that is going to go NO MATTER WHAT, which is why we are the easiest to ignore.

Criticize Avatar all you want - but you and everyone else on the planet knows what it is. And Cameron is now claiming (I say "claim" because he's not Mr. Reliable.) that he will be putting out THREE more movies, which again like it or not will probably be IMMENSELY popular worldwide.

So, what I say - for those that complain - pretend Avatar doesn't exist. Instead, when you visit this land, imagine you are in Beastly Kingdom: a land full of mythical creatures and amazing foliage like something out of a fantasy world...cause that's what it is...whether or not it's called Pandora or Beastly Kingdom or the World of Pokemon.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: