Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #211
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
I honestly cannot believe this is still happening...the movie was so-so, I barely remember it and what I do remember was not all that. Now Beastly Kingdom that is something I could get excited about.
Avatarland/Pandora reminds me of cars land.....good movie which transitions well to theme park land
cars 2 bombed but it didn't affect cars land
my prediction is Pandora will be huge, especially at night...this along with the new nighttime show and safari will drive DAK attendance up for many years
thought the concept art looked incredible...DAk is transitioning into one of the best parks in the world
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #212
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

I dunno; I know Avatar made a buttload of money, but it bothers me that I don't know the first Avatar geek. I know geeks for just about every imaginable franchise, but not one person who stays geeked up for this one.

Just checked Reddit and was surprised to see there's not even a subreddit for Avatar. I thought everything that more than one person on Earth mildly cared about had a subreddit.
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #213
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
I dunno; I know Avatar made a buttload of money, but it bothers me that I don't know the first Avatar geek. I know geeks for just about every imaginable franchise, but not one person who stays geeked up for this one.

Just checked Reddit and was surprised to see there's not even a subreddit for Avatar. I thought everything that more than one person on Earth mildly cared about had a subreddit.
just for the record avatar does have conventions...which im not apart of
also would like to mention on the Disney parks blog the avatar concept art announcement got 25000 likes on face book, no other announcement is even close
also on avatars face book page it has nearly 50 000 000 likes in comparison harry potter has 60 000 000
star wars and LOTR are around 13 000 000

does that mean a ton? not necessarily but it does mean something
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #214
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Avatarland/Pandora reminds me of cars land.....good movie which transitions well to theme park land
cars 2 bombed but it didn't affect cars land
my prediction is Pandora will be huge, especially at night...this along with the new nighttime show and safari will drive DAK attendance up for many years
thought the concept art looked incredible...DAk is transitioning into one of the best parks in the world
"Cars 2" didn't "bomb". It was a box-office hit. It *did* "bomb" with critics, though.

Just sayin'.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #215
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
"Cars 2" didn't "bomb". It was a box-office hit. It *did* "bomb" with critics, though.

Just sayin'.
poor choice of words I admit but the second one didn't hurt or help the land at DCA which was the point I was making
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #216
Suger Mag
DIS Veteran

apples and oranges

As someone who grew up having an actual black and white TV, and only 4 television channels to choose from (5 when it rained), comparing the StarWars franchise born of yesterday to Avatar's born today is not an easy comparison one vs one. The media world of today that Avatar opened into is much different than the late 70's and 80s of StarWars opening. At the time StarWars was unique... there was no real competition for it... plus our level of expectation and excellence was much lower, and our attention span was much longer. Back then we simply did not have the huge plethora of choice that we do today... there was no TiVO, or On Demand etc. Back then if you did not see a movie in the theater when it was showing, then you were screwed. Maybe in a few years it would be shown on TV as the big hyped Sunday night movie special or mini series (Gone with the Wind anyone?).Today we are so much more jaded, something opens and then the next day it is forgotten or passe because there is something new and shiny to distract us. Movies play for a much shorter period, but it does not matter if you miss it, because it is no big deal to wait until it comes out on DVD next month.

I know it is practically sacrilege to suggest that not EVERYONE is passionate about StarWars, but yes it is true. I could care less about StarWars... enjoyed it as a kid, but even then it was not my thing (I was into horses)... but I love going to ride StarTours and would ecstatic if they built a StarWars land at Hollywood.... not because it has to do with the Force... but because it would be something new to go and experience at WDW. Honestly...how would StarWars (A New Hope) do if it opened today into the media Cambrian Explosion that we exist in? Nevermind how well the crappy pre-sequals 4, 5, and 6 would do.

I am super excited for Avatar land to be built at AK. Couldn't care less about the movie, or movies to come... But I repeat, I am super excited for Pandora or whatever they call it... because the theming will be awesome and the experiences/rides will be unique and most importantly it will be something new.

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #217
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
I honestly cannot believe this is still happening...the movie was so-so, I barely remember it and what I do remember was not all that. Now Beastly Kingdom that is something I could get excited about.
Trust us, you are not alone.

The Avtarland advocates have ready given up trying to imply the movie is an iconic, widely beloved brand (they best they can do is reference Facebook "like" nonsense about meaningless press releases).

So what they now have had to fall back on is repeatedly stating how fantastic some vaguely defined Pandora "environment" will supposedly be. I remember hearing exactly the same sort of hype years ago about the "breakthrough experience" the infallible imagineers were going to deliver on a soon to open, cutting-edge space attraction at Epcot.

Yes, one which was eventually nicknamed "Mission Vomit", and is now known as the dependable walk on when you have run out of everything else to do in Future World...

Last edited by Borishack; 01-02-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #218
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

I'm not an Avatar fan but at this point I just hope, if it ever gets finished, that Disney does a good job with the project and actually delivers the attractions they've hinted at.

Hmmm...unlike New Fantasyland, which they hyped and advertised and I eagerly anticipated, only to get one nice clamshell ride (updated Seas with Nemo), one glorified princess meet (happy I experienced it, but don't ever need to do it again), and a couple of restaurants and shops (lunch at BoG was just okay although the restaurant is very interesting, visually; the LeFou's Brew was disgusting). Meh. Yes, it's very pretty to look at, but in the words of my Uncle Jim..."There isn't actually anything to DO there." LOL. I'm sure the Mine Train addition will make a difference, but then from what I'm hearing, it's basically a well-themed kiddie coaster. I do like the Barnstormer though, so I don't mind a kiddie coaster, really. I guess I was expecting more when they started talking major park expansion than what the finished product delivered.

I hope Avatarland/Pandora doesn't get everything cut until it turns into nothing more than a pretty walk-through with nothing to actually DO.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #219
Annadesu
Splash Mountain Addict

I'm not really that worried about Avatar land, honestly... What I am worried about is what it's going to contain. Will it have a lot of fun attractions, or is it just going to be a "SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT OR ELSE" area? Because that's what I felt the movie was like...
Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #220
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post
Trust us, you are not alone.

The Avtarland advocates have ready given up trying to imply the movie is an iconic, widely beloved brand (they best they can do is reference Facebook "like" nonsense about meaningless press releases).

So what they now have had to fall back on is repeatedly stating how fantastic some vaguely defined Pandora "environment" will supposedly be. I remember hearing exactly the same sort of hype years ago about the "breakthrough experience" the infallible imagineers were going to deliver on a soon to open, cutting-edge space attraction at Epcot.

Yes, one which was eventually nicknamed "Mission Vomit", and is now known as the dependable walk on when you have run out of everything else to do in Future World...
obviously your facebook "nonsense" comment is directed at me... your getting dangerously close to taking personal shots at people relax its just a theme park expansion not the war on poverty or discussions of obamamcare, its all in fun... its just a land at theme park that's all....I referred to facebook because nothing says our American culture like facebook

back to the discussion, nobody called avatar iconic (are you making this stuff up as you go?)what we "the avatar apologist as you referred to" are saying is it has relevance and facts back it up that it was extremely popular and lends itself to a great theme park land..thats all

a short story for you
im a 41 year old social studies teacher who teaches geography....one day we re studying China and I show my kids the Huangshun Mountains(the mountains Cameron based his floating mountains off of)... I asked them what the mountains reminded them of and every class got it immediately they all said avatar...keep in mind these are 13 year olds who were 9 when the movie was out....obviously this is anecdotal compared to the facts I ve given but none the less when it comes to pop culture I refer to kids they know more than us
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #221
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack

Nobody said it was iconic and nobody called it a franchise and nobody even said it was a great movie!

All that was said was that it was a huge hit all around the world. There are many facts to support this, including Facebook. It is interesting how you dismiss as irrelevant (in a high handed tone) facts that you don't like. For no other reason then they don't fit with the colored glasses through which you view the world.

You must have wiped 2010 from your memory banks. All during Avatar's record breaking run it was a cultural phenomenon. AND most of the discussion centered around the universally acclaimed visuals, flora, and fauna. People didn't rave that the movie was written better than Citizen Kane, but they did say Pandora was beautiful and beyond anything portrayed before.

Avatar haters are missing the whole point. Forget the story or even the whole movie! What Disney saw was that millions of people alk over the world loved Pandora, even reviewers that hated the movie. People will love to fly a dragon through floating mountains and ride a boat through a glowing jungle. The only way to not see how good a low risk fit this is for AK, is to not want to.

Of course, I have no doubt that the facts are meaningless, my conclusions are all wrong, and Disney has no idea what they are doing.

And Mission Space is a breakthrough and my 2nd favorite ride after Star Tours. Its only problem is that it was too good (realistic) for the masses. I love the G-forces.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #222
Belle1386
Earning My Ears

I have to say I am really on the fence on this one. I do think that DAK needs more attractions, but I guess I always thought that MAYBE they would go with the original Beastly Kingdom. The concept art looks really nice, but it won't be enough if the attractions aren't a great draw. To make it really work, they will need one, or maybe 2 E-ticket attractions, plus things for the kiddies to do. Another Full service restaurant is really needed, especially if they plan to extend park hours... not to mention more Quick Service establishments. Do I think they could have picked a better theme?.. yes!, as I don't really get how this fits under the Animal Kingdom umbrella... but I will reserve judgment until I see the finished product.
Dixie Landing - 1993, 1998; Wilderness Lodge - 2000; Caribbean Beach Resort - 2001, 2004, 2006; The Contemporary - 2002; All Star Movies - 2003, 2012; The Polynesian- 2005, 2007; Port Orleans French Quarter 2007, 2009, 2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2005, 2009, 2011, 2012;, Coronado Springs 2010, 2011; Pop Century, 2008, 2009, 2011; Vero Beach Resort, 2012 Hoping for a stay in October--- no resort decided yet!
Portofino Bay 2005, 2013; Hard Rock Hotel 2005, Royal Pacific 2013 x2
Belle1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #223
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
nothing says our American culture like facebook9
With all due respect, I and my friends at Roper and Gallup beg to differ.

First, the the lack of commitment involved in the superfical, non-commital act of "liking" of "disliking" something on Facebook has been well documented.

However, that hasn't stopped advertisers and advocates for whatever from grabbing onto the thumbs up/down dynamic, as a shallow and failed substitute for true survey research. But it's not: in addition to the lack of engagement behind the "voting," the samples are not representative (Corporate PR release pages attract the ends of the spectrum, the partisans and the detractors but few of the mass of humanity inbetween).

Quote:
nobody called avatar iconic
Really?

Quote:
avatar did more in movie gross than all 3 of the star wars prequels combine
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #224
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post
With all due respect, I and my friends at Roper and Gallup beg to differ.

First, the the lack of commitment involved in the superfical, non-commital act of "liking" of "disliking" something on Facebook has been well documented.

However, that hasn't stopped advertisers and advocates for whatever from grabbing onto the thumbs up/down dynamic, as a shallow and failed substitute for true survey research. But it's not: in addition to the lack of engagement behind the "voting," the samples are not representative (Corporate PR release pages attract the ends of the spectrum, the partisans and the detractors but few of the mass of humanity inbetween).

Really?
yep never said iconic but my facts don't lie about box office
you kinda just proved my point....and the star wars prequels were not very good at least the first two

facebook was just one of about 10 facts in which I said it doesn't mean a ton but it does mean something so theres that
again I agree with you about the commitment part being somewhat arbitrary in regards to facebook and to dismiss it is fair but you ve dismissed all other facts that are tangible

im like Michael Corleone im trying to get out of this thread but I keep getting pulled back in
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Last edited by twebber55; 01-02-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #225
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annadesu View Post
I'm not really that worried about Avatar land, honestly... What I am worried about is what it's going to contain. Will it have a lot of fun attractions, or is it just going to be a "SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT OR ELSE" area? Because that's what I felt the movie was like...
You're right about a need for new attractions. If they add a new genuine thrill ride and a well themed family ride then I think it's a success, regardless of the Avatar theme.

I'm not that suspicious of it being a big environmentalist thing as much as the new "attractions" being restaurants, gift stores and meet & greets.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: