Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #181
katt789
DIS Veteran

I am not excited about this at all. So far, im happy that it looks like AK will be open later than normal/have a nighttime show,. But thats really the only benefit for me!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #182
Flanigan
Mouseketeer

Reserving Judgement

I'm reserving judgement until it's opened/completed and I have personally experienced the attractions. When I first heard of it, I hated the idea, and still think it's a bad idea to make a whole area on a CGI live action Ferngully. But the immersion and level of theming that Disney is able to achieve is amazing.

"A vacation is a countdown, T minus your life and counting." - Stone Sour

My Flickr photos
Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #183
MagicJourney
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Personally, I think the nighttime visual in the movie is very beautiful, and could be a good fit for the announced evening entertainment at AK. Don't know why so many negs. I am enthusiastic about this expansion.
MagicJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #184
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJourney View Post
Personally, I think the nighttime visual in the movie is very beautiful, and could be a good fit for the announced evening entertainment at AK. Don't know why so many negs. I am enthusiastic about this expansion.
Here's how it works on this board.

1. Whine and complain that Disney isn't spending enough on the parks
2. As soon as Disney spends money on the parks whine and complain that it's all a terrible idea.
3. Repeat 1&2 to infinity and beyond.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #185
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post

2. As soon as Disney spends money on the parks whine and complain that it's all a terrible idea.
You forgot
#4. Make excuses and sell propaganda about how "much they're spending" and never consider that they are not providing adequate reinvestment to justify pricing to the consumer...at least not enough to convince anyone with objectivity.

I do see your side of the "argument"...but don't forget that there are two legitimate sides to this discussion...both are most definitely valid.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #186
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDisney View Post
I'm still waiting for them to turn the front half of epcot into Star Wars land. I mean, they already have a giant Death Star.
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #187
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
You forgot
#4. Make excuses and sell propaganda about how "much they're spending" and never consider that they are not providing adequate reinvestment to justify pricing to the consumer...at least not enough to convince anyone with objectivity.

I do see your side of the "argument"...but don't forget that there are two legitimate sides to this discussion...both are most definitely valid.
Unfortunately pricing is adjusted to meet demand.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #188
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post

Some brands shield the theories of Econ 101 (or in my case... Econ 002)

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 12-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #189
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep, it will keep going up until people are unwilling to pay it.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #190
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
You forgot

Plenty of people who will never know what it was like back then that like it just fine as it is now.

So, glad we aren't locked in via DVC ownership. Talk about a group that is stuck with diminished returns for years to come.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #191
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post

so so true... just don't forget the part where they constantly remind us of how good it USED to be...

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #192
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
Plenty of people who will never know what it was like back then that like it just fine as it is now.

So, glad we aren't locked in via DVC ownership. Talk about a group that is stuck with diminished returns for years to come.

How do you figure this? People who have bought DVC years ago paid a very low cost compared to the current pricing for ownership. After using my DVC for over 10 years, the current resale value is higher than my cost to purchase. This is due to the increasing desirability of the new locations. Disney has to keep building better resorts in more desirable locations in order to keep the demand and pricing where they want it to be. My ownership allows me to stay at these locations for a fraction of the current pricing (about half) and the more they build to increase value, the higher the buy in will become. Us old time DVC'ers are just getting pulled along for the ride.

This may be the only instance where disneys pricing increase directly benefits the customer.

This is true at least for now-- no predictions for anything past the next five to ten...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #193
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How do you figure this? People who have bought DVC years ago paid a very low cost compared to the current pricing for ownership. After using my DVC for over 10 years, the current resale value is higher than my cost to purchase. This is due to the increasing desirability of the new locations. Disney has to keep building better resorts in more desirable locations in order to keep the demand and pricing where they want it to be. My ownership allows me to stay at these locations for a fraction of the current pricing (about half) and the more they build to increase value, the higher the buy in will become. Us old time DVC'ers are just getting pulled along for the ride.

This may be the only instance where disneys pricing increase directly benefits the customer.

This is true at least for now-- no predictions for anything past the next five to ten...

My diminished returns/experience comments were really about how much has been cut from the WDW experience over the past ~15 years. I meant that DVC owners are no longer getting the same quality of WDW experience that they bought into not the financial minutiae of owning a DVC.

I'll admit I view DVC as Ponzi scheme-ish. Yes, those that brought early are doing fine. But what they are going for lately plus maintenance fees I'd invest that money elsewhere and use the interest earned towards taking a vacation and enjoy not being locked into WDW as our family grows up and interests change. Our last 3 trips have all included 'free dining' for 4 adults. How do those numbers work out against DVC dollar savings? I get that most DVCs have kitchens. But, not cooking is a huge part of a vacation for us as we only eat out about once a month.

Last edited by Q-man; 12-29-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #194
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

DVC was a tremendous score for us...its now if you buy that i think you're starting to get screwed.

if somebody goes and pays $400 a night for the Contempt, they're being robbed.
if i use 20 DVC points i paid for 10 years ago for it....i'm making out like a banshee.

and disney gets me there more...so it works for them too.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #195
old lady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Triton View Post
Skip Avatarland and build Journey to the Center of the Earth ride like the one in Tokyo Disneyland.
I would prefer to see a part of land as avatarland, not a whole theme park or to replace a old one? Maybe a ride or a ride like the journey to the center of the earth or replace it with a submarine like the one in Japan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: