Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #166
Postal68
DIS Veteran

I am the OP of this thread. Just got back for a Cruise on the Dream and a few days at the Parks. Saw the Avatarland video and I have to say, it looks like it will suck just as much as I thought. Then I see James Cameron telling us how he is there busy filiming THREE sequels to Avatar

Uh...........

I haven't heard clamoring for one sequel let alone 2 or 3?

Give me a break. This is going to be a colossal failure and a waste of years of building that could have been directed towards more enjoyable attractions.

oooooooooh I'm walking through plants( I can do that all over AK

oooooooooh I'm flying through Pandora ( I can fly at EPCOT on Soarin'

oooooooooh I'm on a boat ride through a jungle (ugh, I can....FORGET IT!!!!)
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #167
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

It actually sounds kind of cool to me. It might not have been my first choice, but if they do it right, I think it will be fantastic.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #168
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
I am the OP of this thread. Just got back for a Cruise on the Dream and a few days at the Parks. Saw the Avatarland video and I have to say, it looks like it will suck just as much as I thought. Then I see James Cameron telling us how he is there busy filiming THREE sequels to Avatar

Uh...........

Give me a break. This is going to be a colossal failure and a waste of years of building that could have been directed towards more enjoyable attractions.

Soooo, you're saying you're excited about it?
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #169
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Uh...........

Hahaha! This one made me laugh. Appreciate your humorous writing.

Did you see the same photos and videos I did?! I'm walking through plants, boat ride through jungle, flying just like over California?!

Floating mountains and interactive glowing forests. What a lame idea. It has been done so many times before... like NEVER!

A movie that brings in BILLIONS (Note that is with a B and an S) is not clamoring for a sequel! I am excited to see the oceans of Pandora in spite of some dumb story line.

Not to mention that James Cameron is a perfect match for the Disney Imagineers: He is a genius mechanical inventor (He invented the new 3D camera everyone is using), and a driven artist who knows how to produce a product that is not only technically a marvel, but beloved by the masses. Attendance to both Titanic and Avatar were astounding all over the world. Both made BILLIONS.

James will work with the imagineers to come up with some amazing experiences. I wouldn't be suprised if he helps invent some new machines or processes to make it come to life. And his crazy, driven, artisitc sense that made him take 10 years to make a movie, will push Disney to not just do something good enough, but to do something great. Not that imagineers need motivation in this regard. I can just imagine that Cameron and the imagineers will drive each other nuts AND have a blast creating something wonderful.

Very wise collaboration on Disney's part.

Now that they have Star Wars, if they can just get Lord of the Rings, I will be a very happy camper for years to come.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #170
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Hahaha! This one made me laugh. Appreciate your humorous writing.

Did you see the same photos and videos I did?! I'm walking through plants, boat ride through jungle, flying just like over California?!

Floating mountains and interactive glowing forests. What a lame idea. It has been done so many times before... like NEVER!

A movie that brings in BILLIONS (Note that is with a B and an S) is not clamoring for a sequel! I am excited to see the oceans of Pandora in spite of some dumb story line.

Not to mention that James Cameron is a perfect match for the Disney Imagineers: He is a genius mechanical inventor (He invented the new 3D camera everyone is using), and a driven artist who knows how to produce a product that is not only technically a marvel, but beloved by the masses. Attendance to both Titanic and Avatar were astounding all over the world. Both made BILLIONS.

James will work with the imagineers to come up with some amazing experiences. I wouldn't be suprised if he helps invent some new machines or processes to make it come to life. And his crazy, driven, artisitc sense that made him take 10 years to make a movie, will push Disney to not just do something good enough, but to do something great. Not that imagineers need motivation in this regard. I can just imagine that Cameron and the imagineers will drive each other nuts AND have a blast creating something wonderful.

Very wise collaboration on Disney's part.

Now that they have Star Wars, if they can just get Lord of the Rings, I will be a very happy camper for years to come.
The ONLY reason Avatar brought in so much money is because the price of each ticket was almost double because of the 3D. It was not that popular. It collected a nice box office but it didn't really have staying power or commercial(in terms of toys, collectibles, ect...) success.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #171
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The ONLY reason Avatar brought in so much money is because the price of each ticket was almost double because of the 3D. It was not that popular. It collected a nice box office but it didn't really have staying power or commercial(in terms of toys, collectibles, ect...) success.
Haha good one
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #172
TJSkinner
Earning My Ears

I for one am looking forward to any addition to AK. If Disney never took a chance then none of this would be here. As a pediatric burn nurse, reality is difficult to deal with on a day to day basis, so any chance to suspend reality and experience fantasy is exactly what I need when on vacation. Camp Mickey Minnie was a nice photo spot but beyond that a lot of wasted space, and FOTLK is getting what I hope is a larger better home close to Africa where it makes sense for it to be. No one knows at this point if it will succeed or fail but common sense tells us that if something is not attempted, then nothing will change and AK will remain a small underutilized space.
Disney Cruise November 2013
TJSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #173
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Are they actually CALLING it Avatarland? I love the idea of how beautiful this will be and how well it would fit in but I think calling it Pandora would make so much more sense!! Not keen on the name Avatarland! Kinda lame, not imagination! Pandora all the way!

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #174
Frankiemack
Mouseketeer

I agree with expanding AK - 100% as I'm sure you all do...and as do most of you, I really don't get the Avatar connection...

Here's my theory: When I first watched Avatar, I was most intrigued by the beauty in the special effects of Pandora and how it was fantasy brought to reality.. I knew the movie was not good after about 20-30 minutes but I couldn't stop watching as the special effects drew me in and kept me interested...I think that's what Disney is going for here..

I'm more interested in seeing them develop the space and what types of special effects may be brought to life. Some of the concept art hits at a very fantasy like living, breathing, interactive land, not just more plants and trees...
Frankiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #175
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
3D tickets weren't and still aren't twice the price of normal tickets, it's more like 30% more for 3D. For the sake of argument lets say the tickets were double the price (which they weren't) and everyone saw it in 3D (which the didn't), so factoring out 3D it would drop Avatar's world wide box office to 1.35 billion which would put it in 4th place overall. Whether it has staying power and continued relevance it clearly up for debate, but it's hard to deny that A LOT of people saw this movie.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #176
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMagic*o* View Post
Are they actually CALLING it Avatarland? I love the idea of how beautiful this will be and how well it would fit in but I think calling it Pandora would make so much more sense!! Not keen on the name Avatarland! Kinda lame, not imagination! Pandora all the way!
Pretty sure Pandora: World of Avatar
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #177
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Pretty sure Pandora: World of Avatar
Oh good! I keep hearing it referred to as Avatarland, how awful lol!

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #178
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMagic*o*

Oh good! I keep hearing it referred to as Avatarland, how awful lol!
Seems like it will be World of Pandora

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #179
King Triton
DIS Veteran

Skip Avatarland and build Journey to the Center of the Earth ride like the one in Tokyo Disneyland.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #180
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

I don't understand the hate. This looks great. While I can certainly think of other disney properties that I would like to see get its own huge area, this still has huge potential.

I like that they keep talking about trying to make it immersive. The avatar scenery from the film was beautiful and if they can capture and bottle just 25% of that , this will be a success.

I'm still waiting for them to turn the front half of epcot into Star Wars land. I mean, they already have a giant Death Star.
DetroitDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: