Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
OldsDr
DIS Veteran

Monorail DVC and Dues

I was going to put this in the thread discussing DVC at Poly but thought it was way too off topic

I have always understood that one of the reasons Monorail resorts are so expensive is that they are responsible for funding maintenance from the room charges. Is that correct?

So how does that work with DVC and dues? Are dues at the DVC monorail resorts being directed to monorail maintenance? If so could dues be disproportionately(excessively) affected at monorail resorts compared to other DVCs if the monorail maintenance gets even more expensive; (which I think it will continue to do)?
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post
I was going to put this in the thread discussing DVC at Poly but thought it was way too off topic

I have always understood that one of the reasons Monorail resorts are so expensive is that they are responsible for funding maintenance from the room charges. Is that correct?

So how does that work with DVC and dues? Are dues at the DVC monorail resorts being directed to monorail maintenance? If so could dues be disproportionately(excessively) affected at monorail resorts compared to other DVCs if the monorail maintenance gets even more expensive; (which I think it will continue to do)?
Interesting point-- Technically, the monorail does not go through BLT, and the use of the monorail is complementary to any of the resort guests-- the benefit of BLT ( and now GF) is the proximity to the monorail.. maybe...

but- I would be cautious of buying any ownership in a " monorail resort" because of the possibilities of my above statement being wrong. It would be like buying a condo (at full price or above) where the association was broke.

Last edited by beer dave; 08-18-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I believe that there is a logical formula for allocating transportation costs between DVC and resort rooms at those properties that have both. Its based on room capacity I think. So, BLT (and VGF) member dues would include costs for bus, watercraft and monorail service.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I think the point about all resorts having transportation of one sort or another is well made. I would think that they continuing cost of the Monorail is actually less expensive than that of the busses. The biggest reason the Monorail hasn't been extended is that the initial outlay is substantial.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:

DVC owners pay for everything with their dues, transportation, security, landscaping, pool chemicals, front desk, any expense that you can think of. Disney is very good at sharing any cost that they can.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
longrf01
Mouseketeer

Our disclosures for VGF clearly show a transportation budget which goes from our maintenance fees to Disney. Now, exactly what voodoo they do to come up with that number and allocate portions thereof to bus / monorail / flying carpet is unknown to me.
2012 - POLY Feb, ASSp Mar, BC Mar, DLR Hilton May, BC July, ASSp Sep, DLR Hilton Sep, BC Nov, ASSp Dec
2013 - May Hilton DLR, May Grand Californian, Jun YC, Nov BC
2014 - Jun SSR
longrf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

and the dues for VGF came in a little below what everyone was thinking, quite comparable to Boardwalk, so I don't see DVC Dues being disproportionate because of the monorail.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
awilliams4
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I believe a portion of my BLT dues goes to the Monorail operations. I believe it would just fall under Transportation though on your annual statement.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
DenLo
DIS Veteran

DVC resorts do pay for transportation in their dues. And who knows how it is portioned out. Since everyone coming to MK has the opportunity to use the monorail the expense of maintenance would not solely be charged to the MK resorts. Even MK would be charged for use and maintenance of the monorail. I wouldn't worry about the needed upgrades. The resorts around MK are expensive more because of location than because of the monorail.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Isn't BLT on the cheaper side of dues as well? Perhaps monorail costs are much cheaper than bus costs?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

As an MBA with 35 years in Corporate America I suggest that Disney bases all fees and charges on maximizing profits, period. If they charge any less they reduce profits, and if they charge any more the demand for something goes down just enough to reduce profit too. Pricing is not based on cost, but on perceived value by the consumer.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInMN View Post
As an MBA with 35 years in Corporate America I suggest that Disney bases all fees and charges on maximizing profits, period. If they charge any less they reduce profits, and if they charge any more the demand for something goes down just enough to reduce profit too. Pricing is not based on cost, but on perceived value by the consumer.
For legal reasons I believe they have to account for those fees, so they can't just make them up out of the air.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
and the dues for VGF came in a little below what everyone was thinking, quite comparable to Boardwalk, so I don't see DVC Dues being disproportionate because of the monorail.
Dues for a resort for the first year or two are estimated - and its in Disney's best interests to estimate low during an active sales period. Almost all the resorts have seen one bigger than normal bump two or three years after opening when they have a real spend for the previous few years to run a budget from - and when sales have slowed down.

(Don't estimate too low though, or they end up with Aulani's problem).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
For legal reasons I believe they have to account for those fees, so they can't just make them up out of the air.
Yep, Florida timeshare law. Have to be externally audited. DVC takes a 15% management fee. But even with the external audit - there is a lot of accounting wiggle room when doing cost allocations. For instance, BWVs transportation costs per point are higher than BCVs. Why? We don't know (but suspect its to compensate for standard view rooms that have a lower point value -but just as many guests using transportation)
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Yep, Florida timeshare law. Have to be externally audited. DVC takes a 15% management fee. But even with the external audit - there is a lot of accounting wiggle room when doing cost allocations. For instance, BWVs transportation costs per point are higher than BCVs. Why? We don't know (but suspect its to compensate for standard view rooms that have a lower point value -but just as many guests using transportation)
Possibly because the stop at BC includes a higher percentage of non DVC guests , so the sharing of the stop costs leans towards the regular resort, with the DVC building accounting for a lower percentage of stop costs. Based on total DVC compared to total BC capacity divided into bus stop costs.

Last edited by beer dave; 09-07-2013 at 10:28 AM.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: