Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #1111
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewill View Post
Hi,
We'll be at AKL-Jambo the second half of Presidents week. Can someone tell me about movies by the pool? Like: do they show every night, weather permitting? Can kids watch them while in the pool, and parents watch while seated by the pool with their favorite beverage??
Movies are every night, I believe weather permitting. You can't watch from the pool. Where they set it up is near the spot where you can view the ostrich's/bridge area...There are plenty of seats, & loungers that you can rest in though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Quinlan View Post
Trying to decide on where to stay next year. Its between here and BWV. I'm worried about the transportation from AKL to the parks. Is It bad and I'm nervous about the overall size?
BWV bus service was absolutely horrendous...Other than walking to EPCOT & HS, or taking the boat.

The bus to MK & AK, first stop at BWV ( which is great ) , but then proceed toSwan, then Dolphin, the Yacht Club, Then Beach club, then on to the parks...& when you return from the park, you'd think that at least you'd be the first stop....>ABSOLUTELY NOT!! We were the last stop EVERY time...And I don't even want to mention the bus to n from DTD.

AKL/AKV was roughly a 5 minute ride to AK, 7or8 min ride to HS. 9 or 10 to Epcot, and probably 20 minutes to MK.....

I always gave my seat up when going to the parks while at BWV...AKV I only had to do this a few times... Hope this helps.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #1112
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewill View Post
Hi,
We'll be at AKL-Jambo the second half of Presidents week. Can someone tell me about movies by the pool? Like: do they show every night, weather permitting? Can kids watch them while in the pool, and parents watch while seated by the pool with their favorite beverage??

Thanks!
You can't see the movie screen while in the pool. It is behind the pool and doesn't face the pool itself. That being said, it's on the path that runs behind the pool and you can sit at one of the few tables on that side of the pool bar and still see the screen. My girlfriend and I went to the night vision experience right up the path and then watched part of the movie while sitting at a table at the pool bar with a few brewskies... Most people pulled up lounge chairs from the pool area to watch the movie.

I should add that this was back in September. I heard that they are adding fences around some of the resort pools. I don't know if they have done that at the AKL pool and if it impacts the location of the screen or it's visibility from the tables near the pool bar if they have.
Dannek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #1113
AddictedtoDoleWhip
Mouseketeer

So I know that since I am staying AKL Club Level that I am going to get a Savannah view, but I was wondering which rooms have the best views so I can hopefully request to get one of them.

Also I was wondering if there is a DVD player in the room or is that no longer happening for Club Level guests?
AddictedtoDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #1114
hill6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Trying to decide on where to stay next year. Its between here and BWV. I'm worried about the transportation from AKL to the parks. Is It bad and I'm nervous about the overall size?
The Boardwalk would be a good choice if you want to visit Epcot a lot. It is less than a 10 minute walk and you have the four other resorts close by to visit/eat at. Also the Boardwalk has nightly entertainment.

The animals at AKL are awesome to see.

I have stayed at both and I am thrilled to returning to AKL.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #1115
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoDoleWhip View Post
So I know that since I am staying AKL Club Level that I am going to get a Savannah view, but I was wondering which rooms have the best views so I can hopefully request to get one of them.

Also I was wondering if there is a DVD player in the room or is that no longer happening for Club Level guests?
We will staying CL too! So excited. I *think* CL guest are placed either on Kudo or Zebra trail.

I just want to see a Giraffe from balcony. Really. It will would make my day!
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/qclo93tkqequauum.png[/img][/link]
think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #1116
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoDoleWhip View Post

We were there last week, and there was a DVD player in the room.
Anonomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #1117
Holly Quinlan
This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I have stayed at both AKL and BWV and the transportation from AKL is a lot better. The buses from BWV stop at the Swan and Dolphin, Beach Club and Yacht Club before going anywhere. The Friendship Boats to Hollywood Studios take forever and it probably quicker to walk. The only thing that is great is the Friendship Boats to Epcot and even there walking is probably quicker.

Corinna
BWV bus service was absolutely horrendous...Other than walking to EPCOT & HS, or taking the boat.

The bus to MK & AK, first stop at BWV ( which is great ) , but then proceed toSwan, then Dolphin, the Yacht Club, Then Beach club, then on to the parks...& when you return from the park, you'd think that at least you'd be the first stop....>ABSOLUTELY NOT!! We were the last stop EVERY time...And I don't even want to mention the bus to n from DTD.

AKL/AKV was roughly a 5 minute ride to AK, 7or8 min ride to HS. 9 or 10 to Epcot, and probably 20 minutes to MK.....

I always gave my seat up when going to the parks while at BWV...AKV I only had to do this a few times... Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill6 View Post
The Boardwalk would be a good choice if you want to visit Epcot a lot. It is less than a 10 minute walk and you have the four other resorts close by to visit/eat at. Also the Boardwalk has nightly entertainment.

The animals at AKL are awesome to see.

I have stayed at both and I am thrilled to returning to AKL.

Thanks everyone!! Does anyone know if you get to choose what side you stay at when you rent points? Pretty set on Jambo.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #1118
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Thanks everyone!! Does anyone know if you get to choose what side you stay at when you rent points? Pretty set on Jambo.
Yes, they are run as separate resorts in that respect. You either make a booking for Jambo House or Kidani. I only ever have stayed at Jambo House.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #1119
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Ive only stayed at Jambo, but honestly both are nice, just different a lil...It all depends what u are looking for....For us the pool was key, & also the Mara we visited EVERY day, so this was a big factor as well.. The lobby at Jambo is ridiculous as well...Words can't describe it... If staying in a studio I would try for here, if looking for a 1 BR then you have to really think hard..Having a lil more room in the place & an extra Bathroom (Kidani ) is something that may sway me..or you..LoL Have fun

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #1120
Holly Quinlan
This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.

I started reading the thread at the beginning and I'm halfway done so I'm still learning. I will be using David's to rent points for next November, I know it says to book at 11 months out but do I have the option to book earlier than that? I don't know much about how Points and DVC work yet. Just by reading about everything AKL has to offer and looking at all the pictures I can tell we would be much happier here VS BWV. So I will be hanging out here for a while!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #1121
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
I started reading the thread at the beginning and I'm halfway done so I'm still learning. I will be using David's to rent points for next November, I know it says to book at 11 months out but do I have the option to book earlier than that? I don't know much about how Points and DVC work yet. Just by reading about everything AKL has to offer and looking at all the pictures I can tell we would be much happier here VS BWV. So I will be hanging out here for a while!
DVC reservations are not available before 11 months out. David's should have your information prior to 11 months, but the actual reservation can not be made until the 11 month mark. (The furthest out that can be booked today would be December 28, 2014.)

BWV's big advantage is location. If your trip would be mostly Epcot and Studios, BWV would be a better choice.

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #1122
freewill
Mouseketeer

Thanks folks for helping with my questions about movies by the pool!!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #1123
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldot View Post
we'll be there May 10-14! We went in Sept 2012 and stayed at Poly. I've wanted to stay at AKL since they opened. we're staying club level and both grandma's are coming. DD will be 5 and hopefully right over 42".
May
Shaden, 2nd – 6th, AKL Jambo House
Hill6, 5th – 8th, AKL Kidani
RebelSoul, 5th – 11th, AKV Jambo
Hill6, 8th – 10th, AKL Kidani
DevonsDisneyMom, 9th – 17th, AKV Jambo
Zeldot, 10th – 14th, AKL CL
RachelTori, 20th-27th, AKV-CL; Dolphin
Momto8, 23rd – 30th, Jambo House
Vital, 23rd – 31st, Jambo House
Paula Sedley-Burke, 26th – 28th, ASMu
Paula Sedley-Burke, 28th – Jun 4th, SSR
franandaj, 28th - Jun 4th, VGF

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #1124
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by katema52 View Post
Our party of 18 will be there August 16-22 Kidani
August
anjalee6, Jul 29th – 5th, AKL
katema52, 16th – 22nd, Kidani
eangel12, 20th – 21st, AKL CL
15isto2, 30th-Sept 27th, Kidani

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #1125
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeKelly View Post
Thanks to other hotel plans falling through (bummer! ) we will be back at AKV Kidani this May! We just stayed there in December and loved it, so I'm really excited to be back. Just a quick trip, May 5 - 8 for us
May
Shaden, 2nd – 6th, AKL Jambo House
Hill6, 5th – 8th, AKL Kidani
CupcakeKelly, 5th – 8th, AKL
RebelSoul, 5th – 11th, AKV Jambo
Hill6, 8th – 10th, AKL Kidani
DevonsDisneyMom, 9th – 17th, AKV Jambo
Zeldot, 10th – 14th, AKL CL
RachelTori, 20th-27th, AKV-CL; Dolphin
Momto8, 23rd – 30th, Jambo House
Vital, 23rd – 31st, Jambo House
Paula Sedley-Burke, 26th – 28th, ASMu
Paula Sedley-Burke, 28th – Jun 4th, SSR
franandaj, 28th - Jun 4th, VGF

2013 Cruising adventures

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: