Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #451
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say--single digits!!! 9 days!!! Packing as we speak. Can't wait to hear 'Jambo'!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #452
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

....way kewl!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #453
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Loved hearing about your 17 y/o ("cheermouse") loving the resort. My DS8 does not want to stay anywhere else, either! In fact, I just bought into DVC with AKV as my home resort. We have visited 2x this year (January and August) and will return in December to see the Christmas decorations, etc. I just love AKL/AKV. Everything -- the sights, the wonderful aromas in the lobby, the music, the CMs, and of course the animals.
When I showed my son the photos/videos of the VGF, he commented, "So what? It's really fancy, that's all! Where are the animals? Where is the African theme? AKL is so much better!"
Gotta love him. Still, I'd like to stay at VGF at least once. For me. But our home will always be AKV.
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013

Last edited by ddixon1; 10-15-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #454
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....way kewl!
And you guys are the only one who get my insanity

Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #455
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
And you guys are the only one who get my insanity

IMPORTANT:

Make sure to take a pic of yourself eating a 'dome' and post it HERE!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #456
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just wanted to say--single digits!!! 9 days!!! Packing as we speak. Can't wait to hear 'Jambo'!
And I cannot wait to hear "Welcome home!" for the first time as DVC owners at AKV (instead of renting points)!

I think that I'm at 50 days....
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #457
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post

IMPORTANT:

Make sure to take a pic of yourself eating a 'dome' and post it HERE!
Don't tell (I don't want to get kicked out) I don't like domes!

ETA--- Any one have the activities guide for this month? Spending all day Sat at the resort.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #458
kimmar067

Quote:

ETA--- Any one have the activities guide for this month? Spending all day Sat at the resort.
...well, ya don't have to actually SWALLOW it....
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #459
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:

Don't feel bad. I don't like ZDs either. I was just holding a package of domes in my ZD picture.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #460
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1 View Post
Loved hearing about your 17 y/o ("cheermouse") loving the resort. My DS8 does not want to stay anywhere else, either! In fact, I just bought into DVC with AKV as my home resort. We have visited 2x this year (January and August) and will return in December to see the Christmas decorations, etc. I just love AKL/AKV. Everything -- the sights, the wonderful aromas in the lobby, the music, the CMs, and of course the animals.
When I showed my son the photos/videos of the VGF, he commented, "So what? It's really fancy, that's all! Where are the animals? Where is the African theme? AKL is so much better!"
Gotta love him. Still, I'd like to stay at VGF at least once. For me. But our home will always be AKV.
Congratulations on DVC!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 10-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #461
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Don't feel bad. I don't like ZDs either. I was just holding a package of domes in my ZD picture.
....and yet, somehow, strangely, we love you anyhoo.....

I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #462
Sydney2977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermouse View Post
Just returned from a trip AKL. All my requests were honored and we had a perfect room. Zebra trail, 2nd floor, 3rd pod, which puts you right in the middle. We had amazing views of the animals. We were also very close to the elevators down to the pool and the quick service restaurant. The room was very clean and no bug sightings at all. The pool area was beautiful, there are a lot of chairs in the shade, so it was hard to find ones in the sun, but there are a lot of little areas outside of pool, that you could find chairs. I would return here in a minute. My 17year old really wanted to stay here and now says he doesn't want to stay anywhere else. He was like a 5 year old. Great resort! Don't hesitate booking here!
I'm hoping my 17 & 13 year olds will have the same reaction! Glad to hear you loved it so much!

All-Star Music April 2002All-Star Movies September 2003Pop!Century February 2006All-Star Sports January 2007

Coronado Springs October 2010Coronado Springs November 2011Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2013
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #463
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

We just got back from our first AKL stay and it was wonderful!!

My only complaint was the buses. We stayed at AoA the first week and the buses were great and always came on time. They have queues for the lines so everyone gets on in the order they arrived- great! At AKL there is no queue and so if you don't sit right by where the bus stops you might not get on even if you were the first person there. We were in Jambo house and we also had problems with the buses arriving already full and he would just pull up and basically say "I'm not taking anyone else". If we got to the bus stop an hour or more before park opening we didn't have many problems, but if we waited longer we had problems. One morning we waited 25 minutes for an AK park bus and when it arrived it was full and there were about 20 people waiting to get on. We waited a little longer and then said forget it turned around and went to the pool instead, this was our last day too and we didn't get to the parks till the afternoon.

Other than that we loved our stay. What a gorgeous resort. We ate at The Mara, Sanaa and Boma- all delicious!!! Our two Boma breakfasts were divine! That French Toast casserole with carmel sauce is TO DIE FOR. Everything was delicious. We ate at Sanaa at 5pm and it was so lovely and the food was very good. The pumpkin cheesecake at The Mara right now is delicious...we got it 3 times! The african stew was also very good. But beware we ate at the outside table one night at dusk and I got eaten alive by mosquitos instantly- seriously about 20 horrible bites. I was itching the rest of the trip EAT INSIDE at dusk!

Our son LOVED the little toddler slide over at the Kidani pool. We found that we were walking over there to use the pool a lot because it was so great for toddlers. They had so many great kid's programs throughout the hotel and at the pools- really fun!

Sad that my countdown is over Enjoy your trips everyone!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #464
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
We just got back from our first AKL stay and it was wonderful!!

My only complaint was the buses. We stayed at AoA the first week and the buses were great and always came on time. They have queues for the lines so everyone gets on in the order they arrived- great! At AKL there is no queue and so if you don't sit right by where the bus stops you might not get on even if you were the first person there. We were in Jambo house and we also had problems with the buses arriving already full and he would just pull up and basically say "I'm not taking anyone else". If we got to the bus stop an hour or more before park opening we didn't have many problems, but if we waited longer we had problems. One morning we waited 25 minutes for an AK park bus and when it arrived it was full and there were about 20 people waiting to get on. We waited a little longer and then said forget it turned around and went to the pool instead, this was our last day too and we didn't get to the parks till the afternoon.

Other than that we loved our stay. What a gorgeous resort. We ate at The Mara, Sanaa and Boma- all delicious!!! Our two Boma breakfasts were divine! That French Toast casserole with carmel sauce is TO DIE FOR. Everything was delicious. We ate at Sanaa at 5pm and it was so lovely and the food was very good. The pumpkin cheesecake at The Mara right now is delicious...we got it 3 times! The african stew was also very good. But beware we ate at the outside table one night at dusk and I got eaten alive by mosquitos instantly- seriously about 20 horrible bites. I was itching the rest of the trip EAT INSIDE at dusk!

Our son LOVED the little toddler slide over at the Kidani pool. We found that we were walking over there to use the pool a lot because it was so great for toddlers. They had so many great kid's programs throughout the hotel and at the pools- really fun!

Sad that my countdown is over Enjoy your trips everyone!
Thanks for posting. Since Kidani opened, we've had similar situations with the buses.

Did you know that you could take the shuttle between Jambo and Kidani? It runs about every ten minutes. People who use the pools, use this shuttle. I know because I've had a wet bottom on several occasions.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #465
msmith1026
A muffin is just an ugly cupcake.

We check in tomorrow night! I'm so excited for our first AKL stay. Right now it's pouring rain and cold in upstate NY, so i'm really looking forward to the warm weather. I'm having that last minute packing anxiety--making lists to not forget anything, but am stressing over the fact that there's not much left to put on the list. This time tomorrow we'll be exploring the hotel and soaking it all in.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: