Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #3136
MouseOfGold
Mouseketeer

Were staying at AoA LM room for a week and I just added on AKL CL for the end of our trip. Looking forward to experiencing this resort and CL for the first time!

12/'13 CSR, 1/'12 Off Site, 10/'07 Off Site, 12/'96 BC, 12/'87 The Disney Inn-my 1st WDW trip when the magic hit me
MouseOfGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #3137
muenginerd
Earning My Ears

Question about room types at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

DH and I will be going to AKL for a week at the end of September to celebrate our Honeymoon. We are in an Ashura View room. Of course we would really really want a king bed room. From what I see king beds are as common at AKL. Is there a way I can put in a request for one. Coming from a hotel background I know room types can never be guaranteed, but are there any tips or who we should talk to, to get our request in? Should I even be concerned about this, or is it a non-issue at check-in?
muenginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #3138
TipsyTraveler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muenginerd View Post

DH and I will be going to AKL for a week at the end of September to celebrate our Honeymoon. We are in an Ashura View room. Of course we would really really want a king bed room. From what I see king beds are as common at AKL. Is there a way I can put in a request for one. Coming from a hotel background I know room types can never be guaranteed, but are there any tips or who we should talk to, to get our request in? Should I even be concerned about this, or is it a non-issue at check-in?
I always book online and then immediately call them directly to request a king bed. You're right, it's not guaranteed. We've always gotten it but we travel in the off-season and it's the only request I make. I don't think there are that many kings available, actually. Once, during a slow week in early November, they had to put us in an ADA accessible room to be able to fulfill the request. I really wish they would let you book King rooms as their own category like other hotels do so we could eliminate this "Will we or won't we?" nonsense that can't be answered until check-in. I would adjust my dates if it meant a guaranteed king bed!
TipsyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #3139
ThePetLady7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbobbin View Post
Can you guys sell AKL to me? I had to book with a Fall Discount, AKL was the only hotel that had standard rooms discounted. I'm sure it's fantastic, but we were really hoping for Wilderness or Boardwalk. I'm a little uneasy with how far out AKL is in terms of transportation. I did book a dinner at Sanaa for our last night there, which looks really good. We're the type of people that spend at least half the day relaxing at the hotel.
We just got home last night from our first stay at AKL. I had seen posts from others complaining about transportation there, but our experience was actually quite good. Honestly, I don't think travel times here were any worse than when we'd stayed at WL sharing buses with other MK resorts, or BC sharing with the Epcot resorts. Buses came in a timely manner (except DTD, which I've never had good experiences with), and we only had to stand once at a very busy time of year.

The atmosphere is also incredibly relaxing. Even with a standard view, you will be able to find a spot to sit and watch the animals. The lobby has a very WL feel to it, with lots of cozy places to sit and people watch. AKL is a wonderful place to unwind after a day at the parks.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #3140
rhardy1206
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
I am not runner (yet my mom keeps signing me up for WDW runs ), however my ex is a runner. He often ran outdoors at AKL and said there is no real "scenic" route. He would run back and forth from Jambo to Kindani. Hope this helps.
Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. That's the 1 thing my In Laws home resort (Beach Club) has over AKL, is the boardwalk which is the best place in Disney for a run because you can go right into ESPN for a beer right after!

I'll figure something out.......Thnak you
rhardy1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #3141
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhardy1206 View Post
Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. That's the 1 thing my In Laws home resort (Beach Club) has over AKL, is the boardwalk which is the best place in Disney for a run because you can go right into ESPN for a beer right after!
...but doesn't that just defeat the purpose of the run in the first place?
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #3142
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePetLady7 View Post
We just got home last night from our first stay at AKL. I had seen posts from others complaining about transportation there, but our experience was actually quite good. Honestly, I don't think travel times here were any worse than when we'd stayed at WL sharing buses with other MK resorts, or BC sharing with the Epcot resorts. Buses came in a timely manner (except DTD, which I've never had good experiences with)....
....you'll get that, regardless of the resort...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #3143
shakes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
So you're the one they keep the arcades open for!! with all the games people have on their iDevices now, I always wonder why they still even have them!

Anyway, the 1BRs at Kidani are really nice. Not only do you get the extra room but also a second bathroom with tub/shower that you don't get in a 1BR at Jambo. Plus the master bath with the shower/hot tub is huge and your wife will love it when she takes it over like mine did.

Are you driving? If so, Kidani is also great with parking.

Otherwise, besides those two points above, to be honest, we do like Jambo more. But there are definitely positives to each.

The hallways at Kidani are super-long, insanely long. Think of the longest you can imagine. And then triple it. BUT, I think the standard views don't run the whole way, and that actually may be a benefit to you. They have a small snack shop in Kidani, but it's tiny. It's a good 10-15 minute walk from lobby to lobby over to Jambo. It's not at all quick to get over to the Mara QS, which we think is pretty good. But you're right, you can load up on snacks, cereal and milk (or even eggs and bread for toast) for the mornings, frozen pizzas, burritos, etc., that will make the 1BR differently convenient.

The pool at Jambo is huge, while the one at Kidani is relatively small, so we like the Jambo one much more, but everyone says the Kidani water slide is MUCH better. Can't speak to that first-hand. The bartender at the Kidani pool bar made better drinks than the one at Jambo the one time we tried each.

In terms of the animals, we've always booked Savannah view, but at Kidani they do have a big overlook you can go out to, plus the big community center room has an outside area with lots of chairs to sit out on and watch the animals. Plus those long hallways have break areas with benches and windows you can see out from. That might be good enough, but maybe others who have stayed Standard view can speak to this more. Whatever you chose, enjoy!

Thanks so much for the info! Of course by the time I asked this question and read your response the villa room was no longer available. Got lucky this morning though when the late fall discount came out. I was able to get the villa and start the vacation a day earlier as well since I wasn't tied to free dining anymore. 8 is better than 7! I actually didn't even do the dining plan. I only have 4 adrs that we really want, the rest were because we had to use them so to speak. I'm looking forward to not being tied to ADR times every day and being able to order anything off the menu and share things. Plus being a diabetic, the desserts go to waste
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #3144
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Thanks so much for the info! Of course by the time I asked this question and read your response the villa room was no longer available. Got lucky this morning though when the late fall discount came out. I was able to get the villa and start the vacation a day earlier as well since I wasn't tied to free dining anymore. 8 is better than 7! I actually didn't even do the dining plan. I only have 4 adrs that we really want, the rest were because we had to use them so to speak. I'm looking forward to not being tied to ADR times every day and being able to order anything off the menu and share things. Plus being a diabetic, the desserts go to waste
....not necessarily. One really great thing about the chefs at WDW is that they go above-and-beyond when it comes to special dietary needs.....I have found that they really try to cater to that, even when it comes to desserts, so I am confident that they have sugar-free alternatives....
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #3145
rhardy1206
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...but doesn't that just defeat the purpose of the run in the first place?

No no no.....The run buring around 1000 calories allows me to enjoy some alcohol
rhardy1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #3146
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No no no.....The run buring around 1000 calories allows me to enjoy some alcohol
We have a running club here in Spokane, WA called The Flying Irish and do exactly that...a 3-4 mile run followed by lots of beer drinking. It's a group of about 400 runners of all ages, sizes, and fitness levels who do it every Thursday night.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #3147
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
Wooo Hooo.... this time next week we should be rolling up to AKL on the ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
I know! Today is 7 more!

This time next week, we will be almost ready to touchdown in Florida. Woohoo! Starting to pack today. I have things out and organized, but now they actually get to go into the suitcases! Can't wait!

Here's a single dance for both of you:

Hope you have a magical vacation.

John's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #3148
kimmar067

Quote:
....I guess that's a win/win switch-ee-AY-shun for you then....
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #3149
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
We have a running club here in Spokane, WA called The Flying Irish and do exactly that...a 3-4 mile run followed by lots of beer drinking. It's a group of about 400 runners of all ages, sizes, and fitness levels who do it every Thursday night.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #3150
thumper*
Disney Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muenginerd View Post

When we arrived for a Sept 2010 ressy at AKL we had requested a king room on the Arusha view. We were given a king room but traded it for a two queen room a bit farther away from the Arusha rock for privacy reasons.

So no there are not many king rooms available but some and since your going at the end of Sept I bet it wouldn't be hard to get a king. Too bad it's not a bookable class of room.

Sept 2010 AKL Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2562391
Epcot 1991 for honeymoon.....off site
M.K. & Epcot 1985 1'st visit....off site
My Ebay store for Disney stuff..................magsco5 Harley...Smoke...Churchill R.I.P...Winston R.I.P.
thumper* is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: