Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #181
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
We are checking into the Swan just for one night before checking into the AKL. Bell services at the Swan said they would take our luggage to the AKL for us, but I'm pretty sure we would need to get our luggage from the AKL bell services when we get back to our room from the park that night. The only thing is, that we'll be at the MK and it is open until midnight (thanks to PM EMH). Once we get back to the AKL, will bell services still be open to be able to bring our luggage to our room, or will we have to wait until the next morning to get it?
I believe bell services is staffed 24hours/day but you could certainly call to double check. When you check out of the Swan, you can check in at AKL early even though your room may not be ready and then ask them to take your bags to your room whenever it's ready. You'll be able to be out at MK all day and have your luggage waiting in your room for you when you return.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #182
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I believe bell services is staffed 24hours/day but you could certainly call to double check. When you check out of the Swan, you can check in at AKL early even though your room may not be ready and then ask them to take your bags to your room whenever it's ready. You'll be able to be out at MK all day and have your luggage waiting in your room for you when you return.
Sweet thanks!! Now I just have to get everything packed. Luckily after doing laundry all day, I'm almost done.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #183
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRy View Post
The sunset savannah is on the right side of the hotel in between Ostrich and Kudu Trails.
Close, but no cigar..

Actually, the Sunset Savannah is on the left side of the resort if you are looking at the front entrance of the resort from the parking lot out front. It is between Jambo house and Kidani Village, and is between the Ostrich and Kudu Trails. The right side of the resort is the pool area, and then further out the Uzima Savannah. The Arusha Savannah compromises the inside of the "U" portion of the hotel past the back end of the lobby.

Sunset savannah is an option/request for anyone who has a savannah view room. You can check the request box if you have a standard or pool view room during online check in, but you won't get it unless you get a free upgrade/pixie dust. Since Arusha view rooms are priced higher, it give people who have booked a non-Arusha savannah room the option to "request" a specific savannah, with the other option being either Sunset or Uzima if you don't specify... It's not guaranteed, and some people prefer Sunset, some people prefer Uzima. Both are great, and both can be viewed from multiple locations in the hotel in public areas. There are balconies off of the hallways that have chairs, and in a few locations, floor mounted binoculars.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #184
FUNMAMADIS
Mouseketeer

Can anyone tell me what times the nightly(?) storytelling, campfire and night vision viewing of the animals occur?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #185
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNMAMADIS
Can anyone tell me what times the nightly(?) storytelling, campfire and night vision viewing of the animals occur?
I was just going to ask if anyone who will be there in the next week or two could put up a pic of the activity sheet?

Less than 30 sleeps for me and I am getting into microplanning mode

--A
Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #186
tessab
Earning My Ears

Just returned from our 6 night stay. First time at AKL, first time in Deluxe. We loved every bit of it; will find it hard to stay anywhere else. We had booked a standard view, so we anticipated seeing the parking lot. We were placed in a room that overlooked the night vision viewing area, we could see the hot tub and flamingo area if we looked right off the balcony, and some of the savannah if we looked left. We weren't told we were getting an upgrade, and I guess I'm not sure if that's considered a savannah or pool view after all. (does anyone know if these rooms are standard?) We were pleasantly surprised to not be looking at pavement! We didn't use the balcony for much viewing, as we only had a small section of savannah in our sights. We preferred the 2nd floor viewing platform directly at the other end of our hallway. Rocking chairs, binoculars, and animals every time we went. (usually early morning 6:30-7:30am was the best views)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #187
maryandtyson
Mouseketeer

I believe a pp said that all refrigerators at AKL had been replaced. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #188
leannak
Mouseketeer

Question

Just a quick question - which floors do you prefer at Kidani and AKL? (We're staying at both.) I'm thinking lower is better, because I want to feel like we're in with the animals, not looking down on them like they're in a zoo. But does it hinder your view? Also, am I correct that there are no "first" floor rooms at either resort?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #189
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I love Lobby Level ( Jambo) ..it is so easy to just walk to your room and be done ..and it is nicer for seeing the animals. We were on 5 in July and I couldn't see for the trees!

In other news...sadly, we aren't going to be in Jambo in November for Food & Wine..

Cause I got a great AP rate at WL Club Level!!! WOOHOO!!! I can't wait!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #190
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannak View Post
Just a quick question - which floors do you prefer at Kidani and AKL? (We're staying at both.) I'm thinking lower is better, because I want to feel like we're in with the animals, not looking down on them like they're in a zoo. But does it hinder your view? Also, am I correct that there are no "first" floor rooms at either resort?
I believe rooms start at the second floor. I've heard the third and fourth floors are the best views because you're close enough to see the animals, but not so close you can't see the savannah, as well. I think, but I'm not positive, we had a fifth floor room last trip and the animals were a bit further away than I remember from prior trips (we definitely had fourth floor rooms the two trips before and the views were perfect).
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #191
leannak
Mouseketeer

Ooops - I forgot we decided to go with standard view for Jambo House. So we only need to know which savannah view floor is best at kidani.

For Jambo House - are there rooms overlooking the lobby?? I'd love to request that area (close to lobby?) Maybe near pool or near transportation as other requests.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #192
kirs10paige
Earning My Ears

Subbing

Last edited by kirs10paige; 09-03-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #193
tarak
DIS Veteran

leannak - according to my husband, we were on the fourth floor. My memory is pretty bad, so I'll assume he's right and I was wrong when I said fifth. I'm wondering if my memory is off because the animals skew a bit smaller in size than those on the other savannahs - it just seemed like we were higher up. This is the view from our balcony. I posted these on the AKL photo thread. Thinking about it a bit more, it's not quite as barren as I remembered it being. The second one with the red river hogs shows the fence. This is the Pembe Savannah (and I'm a pretty lousy photographer). I think the second shot explains why many people don't like the Pembe Savannah as much as the other views. But I think I was the only one in my family annoyed by the fence and the road beyond.

I have no idea what that second photo is so oversized. I'll try to resize it a second time.

Last edited by tarak; 09-03-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #194
Mayhem1976
Mouseketeer

Door locks

The kid falling off the balconythread, some people say there are locks high up on the balcony doors, others said no. We are staying at Kidani in a studio, are there locks high that little ones can't get too?

Thanks

CSR 2002, CBR 2009, BC 2012, AKL 2013
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #195
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem1976 View Post
The kid falling off the balconythread, some people say there are locks high up on the balcony doors, others said no. We are staying at Kidani in a studio, are there locks high that little ones can't get too?

Thanks
I'm fairly certain when we stayed at Kidani in January, there was a higher lock on the door to the balcony. I wonder if there's a difference between Kidani and Jambo with Kidani having the extra lock because it's a newer section of the resort? I think someone on that thread stated he/she didn't have an extra lock on the door?

ETA: that poster didn't mention the resort, so I don't know if it was at AKL or not.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: